Opteron 170 + Asus A8R-MVP - My first timer overclocking journal

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Congratulations. I hope you really enjoy your snappy computer.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Okay, here's a unique challenge. My house is very dusty. My new computer is nice and shiny and dust free. Here's a pic of what my old system looked like two days ago, before I pulled the guts, cleaned the case, and installed the new stuff. Any tips on how to keep my new system less dusty than this? :wtf:
    edited February 2006
    Okay, so time to journal the build.

Every geek understands the excitement when the UPS guy comes with some of those magical boxes :D

opt170_9.jpg

Got the FSP power supply and Radeon x850xt card yesterday:

opt170_10.jpg

Gutted my old case. I'm using an OpusTek MT200, which honestly is one of the best cases I've ever used. Unfortunately, the company doesn't exist anymore, and they never even sold them in the US as far as I know. It was a review sample, but they never actually made it on sale. It is an awesome case. I guess that makes my system somewhat unique :D

opt170_6.jpg
    edited February 2006
    Building my system out of the case. This was before I got the new PSU and video card:

opt170_8.jpg

Let me tell you: I had to do this THREE TIMES on the phone. It was a living hell.

opt170_reg.jpg

Mounting the system in the Opustek case. There was BARELY enough room, but it fits :D

opt170_12.jpg
    edited February 2006
    A very tight fit:

opt170_16.jpg

A fair warning to anyone who gets a setup with a big typhoon: Make sure you have enough room!

The PSU had these two 4 pin connectors - one blue, one green. I wasn't sure which one to use for the four pin connector on the motherboard, so I took a wild guess. In hindsight, they are probably both the same.

opt170_17.jpg
    edited February 2006
    Okay, here's a unique challenge. My house is very dusty. My new computer is nice and shiny and dust free. Here's a pic of what my old system looked like two days ago, before I pulled the guts, cleaned the case, and installed the new stuff. Any tips on how to keep my new system less dusty than this?
    Yes. Intake filters for the fans. There are many types of low cost or no cost materials you can use. Some people use nylons. I've never tried that. Seems like they would clog very fast, especially if your house is dusty as you say it is. Next time you are at Lowe's or some other hardware store, look for air conditioner filter media. It's the type that's designed to work with a window-installed air conditioner. It traps most of the dust but still allows plenty of air flow. I've tried some other filtration media that either let too much dust through to the case interior or was too restrictive to air flow.

I've modifed two of my computer cases so that I can pull back the panel section directly over the intake fans without having to remove the bezel. Just once a month to vacuum off the filters.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    try this stuff you can find at Jo Ann Fabrics or the like. i am pretty sure it is gardener's foam for artificial plants but i am not sure. it is real cheap and the exact same stuff as the filters used in high-end cases except that it is green.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I've modifed two of my computer cases so that I can pull back the panel section directly over the intake fans without having to remove the bezel. Just once a month to vacuum off the filters.

wow that sounds cool....got any pics?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I love the mesh that lian li uses ...very little restriction. I wish I knew what it is called.
    edited February 2006
    I love the mesh that lian li uses ...very little restriction. I wish I knew what it is called.
    :scratch:

mesh :buck:
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    :scratch:

mesh :buck:
    Now ...why didn't I think of that??? ;D
  • edited February 2006
    I never liked using intake filters. They constrict too much air flow on their own.

It's better to just clean out the computer once a month.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    Prime, I really wanna say u got a nice system there. Okay, so you got the same card as me. That Big Typhoon :eek2::eek2: is huge:eek2: !!:eek2: !!!:eek2: !! Can you please post more pictures of it comparing the size to other parts? It gives me joy looking at it. haha. Anyway guys is there any SOFTWARE that can control fan speed? I have a fanmate for my Zalman AlCu, but it's very quiet and i havent needed to lower the spped on it yet, but i also have a 120 mm Masscool case fan which is loud as hell. When i take the masscool off, my system is virtually quiet, but with that thing on, it sound like someone dropped some change in the washer. If there is such a program, what is it called and possibly link ot it? Thank you. PRIME my system bows to yours :respect::respect::respect::respect: .
    edited February 2006
    Actually, of all the different temperature and voltage monitoring softwares I've tried, I believe Asus Probe to be the most accurate. You might want to go to the Asus site, download the newest version of Probe, uninstall the old, and reinstall with the new version. 22*C idle? That would be correct if your room is average temperature and your computer is turned off, and has been off for an hour or two. Idle temperature should be 3X*C.
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Actually, of all the different temperature and voltage monitoring softwares I've tried, I believe Asus Probe to be the most accurate. You might want to go to the Asus site, download the newest version of Probe, uninstall the old, and reinstall with the new version. 22*C idle? That would be correct if your room is average temperature and your computer is turned off, and has been off for an hour or two. Idle temperature should be 3X*C.
    22 is probably right on. I was just observing temps on my system while I was disconnected and not able to receive any wus. At idle my cpu temp dropped down to 27c ...and that's with vcore at 1.5v and oc'ed to 2650 and the latest probeII.
    edited February 2006
    22 is probably right on
    I could be wrong. But that's nearly room temperature. How can a CPU be operating at all and be room temperature? I guess I'm so obsessed with tweaking that I've never paused to observe what the temp measurements are on a processor at default speed with no load. (OOH, sounds like another mini-project to do!)
    edited February 2006
    I'm at 32 under full load for several hours now. Idle I'm getting like 23-25
    edited February 2006
    Alright, I stand corrected. :hiding:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Brian
    It looks really sweet!
    Yes, the temps on these Opty's is fantastic, especially after going from the (cough cough) old XP rigs.
    ......and I thought my rigs got dirty. :hair:
    csimon wrote:
    I'll post this link now for future reference. Most find they need it (mtgoat included I think) and others don't. I used it and you may too.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

There is a link there to dload a hotfix which points to the A64 X2 I believe. Once you get there you can backtrack your way to the Opteron fix. They may or may not be the same idunno.

Nice score so far Brian ...notice any difference yet over your old setup? :bigggrin:
    I am not sure if it was my upgraded BIOS or going from the X2 3800 to the 170 that fixed it for me. But since I got my 170 and am running the latest BIOS I have not had that problem anymore. Both cores fold within 2-3 seconds of each other on the same project.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I never liked using intake filters. They constrict too much air flow on their own.

It's better to just clean out the computer once a month.

I totally agree.. I yanked them out of my lian-li as well and I just do some regular maintenance. Once every couple months is fine, although you should see how much dust the vapo takes in, I'm cleaning the heat exchanger every couple of weeks :)
    edited February 2006
    These opti's are incredible. I could even get post at .175v (didn't try winders) at up to stock clocks. Must have something to do with the power saving features.

Leo if you're looking into one seriously I posted coupons for monarch in the deals thread. Also I'm sure ebay has sweet deals as well.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    LEO wrote:

Leo, I have the latest Probe, but my question wasn't on monitoring software. I love my asus probe, but i was wondering if there is any software out there that can actually work as, say a fanmate, and control fan speeds. Like I said, I have a masscool fan that is very loud, and i dont want to take it off, but my other 6 fans are totally silent, including the ones in the PSU and my Zalman may as well be a waterblock!!
    edited February 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    Leo, I have the latest Probe, but my question wasn't on monitoring software. I love my asus probe, but i was wondering if there is any software out there that can actually work as, say a fanmate, and control fan speeds. Like I said, I have a masscool fan that is very loud, and i dont want to take it off, but my other 6 fans are totally silent, including the ones in the PSU and my Zalman may as well be a waterblock!!

You mean speedfan. They just released their latest version last week.

"SpeedFan 4.28
    Copyright 2000-2006 by Alfredo Milani-Comparetti (alfredo@almico.com)

You can find SpeedFan at:

http://www.almico.com

What it does:
    SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors fan speeds and temperatures in computers with
    a known monitoring chip. Its main feature is that it can control the speed of the fans
    according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise and power consumption.
    SpeedFan can also access S.M.A.R.T. HD data and temperatures (if available)."
    edited February 2006
    It's weird. The system is perfectly stable at 260x10 - prime95 for 25+ minutes, folding 100% on both cores, temps around 34-35, but every time I run 3DMark05, it hard freezes on the second test (the firefly forest) :(

Any suggestions?

cpuz260x10.png
    edited February 2006
    It's weird. The system is perfectly stable at 260x10 - prime95 for 25+ minutes, folding 100% on both cores, temps around 34-35, but every time I run 3DMark05, it hard freezes on the second test (the firefly forest) :(

Any suggestions?
    sure - fill in the blanks!

memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value B]200 mhz[/B
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) B]3.0[/B (auto)
    tras B]8 clk[/B (auto)
    trp B]2 clk[/B (auto)
    trcd B]3clk[/B (auto)
    trrd B]2 clk[/B (auto)
    trc B]11clk[/B (auto)
    trfc B]17clk[/B (auto)
    trwt B]4 clk[/B (auto)
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble B]5.5 ns[/B (auto)
    async latency B]7.0 ns[/B (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode B]1t[/B (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length B]4 beats[/B
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency B]242[/B
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier B]x11[/B
    processor voltage B]1.400v[/B
    ddr voltage B]2.60v[/B (auto)
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage B]enable[/B
    southbridge over-voltage B]enable[/B
    peg link mode B]faster[/B
    peg buffer length B]short[/B

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed B]400 mhz[/B
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited February 2006
    That's what I'm thinking: 1280x1024 being my chosen res, the dual x8xx crossfire will still kick some serious ass, despite it being "weird" :ninja:

Leo, i wanted you to look at the mounting job I did on the Big Typhoon. It seemed too easy, and you made it sound complicated, and now I want to make sure I did it right :D

Paste job:

opt170_1.jpg

Just screw that bar into the backplate, right?

opt170_2.jpg

Crossbar seems bent down pretty tight. Good?

opt170_3.jpg

Board prepped and waiting for the rest of the stuff:

opt170_4.jpg

MY GOD THAT TING IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

pretty tho:)
  • edited February 2006
    Do a memtest(86+) for a good 12+ hours at your overclocked settings and see how things fair. Also, you'll need to run two instances of Prime95 (each on it's own core) for longer than 25 minutes before you consider it stable. Try 10 hours at least.

Whats your NB to SB HTT speed? CPU to NB?

EDIT: Also try bringing up your vCore to 1.5V and see if the problem goes away. If so, you can start bringing it down until the problem shows up again.
    edited February 2006
    memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value B]166 mhz[/B
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) [3.0] (auto)
    tras [8 clk] (auto)
    trp B]3 clk[/B (auto)
    trcd [3clk] (auto)
    trrd [2 clk] (auto)
    trc [11clk] (auto)
    trfc [17clk] (auto)
    trwt [4 clk] (auto)
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble [5.5 ns] (auto)
    async latency [7.0 ns] (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode B]2t[/B (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length [4 beats]
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency B]260[/B
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier B]x10[/B
    processor voltage B]1.375v[/B
    ddr voltage [] (auto)
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage [enable]
    southbridge over-voltage [enable]
    peg link mode [faster]
    peg buffer length B]Auto[/B

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed B]800 mhz[/B

I've highlighted the places where it is different from your settings, csimon.
    edited February 2006
    I bumped the voltage to 1.4 just now.

I'll report back in a minute
    edited February 2006
    try setting peg buffer length to short ...if you leave it at auto it's liable to set it to some unstable setting.
    Also ...bring down the ht link to at least 600 ...if that doesn't work try 400. Later you can bench the two to see the difference ...on my machine at 260 - 400 runs faster and more stable than 600.
    Try ram at 1t. <----nah scratch that.
    If all else fails up the core.

If you do something major like change the vdimm or vcore you should start at the bottom frequency (200) and work your way up again.
    I'd go in 10mhz increments til you hit 250 ...then 2mhz till you hit 260.
    If you're going through all of that trouble you can also try 183 memclock.
    edited February 2006
    Okay, I'm going out for an hour, so I set the memory to 1t, voltage to 1.4, peg link buffer to short, and HTT to 600mhz

I'm gonna run memtest for an hour while I'm gone. I'll report back when I'm done :)

Thanks!