Opteron 170 + Asus A8R-MVP - My first timer overclocking journal

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    yes ...I read about it at the asus forum last week. I'm looking for it now.
    edited March 2006
    ok ...here's the thread I was talking about. It involves installing the Uli drivers from the uli site. During the install it promts to update the usb drivers as well ...optimuz recommends setting usb from 2 to 1.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us

Perhaps you can reinstall the sound drivers after this.

edit:\ here's the uli driver page in tw. http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/support/drivers.php
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Does that mean my scanner and printer will work at USB 1 speeds? Cause that really sucks :(
    edited March 2006
    Honestly I have no clue. But I didn't read where he even tried USB 2 ...try it. With the Uli usb drivers of course.
    edited March 2006
    I installed the Usb drivers and everything feels fine ...I've also installed the Ms usb 2.0 and I have usb 1.1&2.0 at stock settings in bios and everything is ok. Also have the latest adi soundmax installed. Will test this tomorrow with tce:test.
  • edited March 2006
    This thread has some real good info in it.:cool:

Prime, you get "da Sticky Treatment" man! :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    :D thanks, mudd!
    edited March 2006
    Seems more stable lately. Perhaps this board needs a "burn in" or something :wtf:

I've been stable at 280x9 for 2 days now. TheSMJ came over and set it to this and it's been stable since then.

Just an update :)
  • edited March 2006
    Usually helps when you know what you're doing. :D

EDIT: With a vcore mod I'm sure you could get HTT above 300 Mhz. 280 was about where my Opti 165 was stuck with 1.4V
    edited March 2006
    Hmmm ...I'm afraid to ask what settings? LOL
    edited March 2006
    Brian what's your status on this thing?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Been following this thread since the begining and I can't wait to set up an Opti/DFI rig. Seems to be a good OC'er. Nice job Prime.
    Right now I'm working on getting my AN7/XP 3200+ setup.
    Probably going to get the Opti/DFI rig in a mnth or so.
    edited March 2006
    Stable so far, haven't had to time to push it any further. I'm experiencing power issues at my house lately, I think the circuit that my computer is on is overloaded, and I've been experiencing sags that shut my computer down spontaneously. Some mornings I'll wake up and the computer will just be turned off.

I had a UPS hooked inline and it was flaking out too, so I think I'm having some issues. Time to run a dedicated 20amp circuit for my computer only to that massive 200amp panel that QCH helped me set up :D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Sounds like you've got plenty of room for another breaker then.
    Hopefully that will cure the problem. Good luck.
    Don't forget to wear your rubber gloves for the live test on the new line.
    eyebrows.gif
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Room for additional breaker, yes... Getting the line to the wall.... that's a different story. If I remember correctly, Prime's PC is in the living area... on a slab... getting power to the wall will entail running power to the attic and then down the wall cavity... not as easy as it could be...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Room for additional breaker, yes... Getting the line to the wall.... that's a different story. If I remember correctly, Prime's PC is in the living area... on a slab... getting power to the wall will entail running power to the attic and then down the wall cavity... not as easy as it could be...

Been there- Done that. Had to run seperate cat5 lines through the attic to my pc areas. We have about 24" verticle space to crawl & work in.
    Drill the top plates/pull the wires down, fish them out of the wall, etc.
    Best to do that stuff when it's cool.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    ...Best to do that stuff when it's cool.
    At prime's house, it's always cool. :cool:

;D
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry primesuspect, but what is your finally stable settings? I have an opteron 165 and I want to try your settings in my system.
  • edited April 2006
    I have an ASUS A8R32-MVP & Opteron 170, Stepping CCBWE 0551UPMW.

I am hoping I can get my machine to 2.6ghz stable. Any pointers?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Prime, Some good news!
    You better sell those videocards asap while they are worth something and get a couple of 7900 GT's instead...SLI now works on your board with a special driver. You might win one of the cards at the lan :)
    edited May 2006
    :eek2: link?
    edited May 2006
    Not yet as i'm not allowed to leak it for another 24 hours, but i'm sure it will turn up pretty soon. Do you have a couple of cards for testing?
    edited May 2006
    no :(
    edited May 2006
    will 7800gt's work sli? I only have one though.
  • edited May 2006
    Has SLi offically been deemed better than Crossfire now?
    edited May 2006
    Yes, the King of Prussia officially deemed it better just two days ago.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Yes, the King of Prussia officially deemed it better just two days ago.
    I did not! :rarr:
  • johanssonjohansson Sweden
    edited May 2006
    Don´t know if this will help someone, anyway I did try the ASUS A8R-MVP Mobo some months ago, since it had good specifications and had some good reviews as well, but returned it because of general power instability ( vcore fluctation ) and lack of 1T performance at that time, along with some strange PCI/IDE recognition issues at boot and ASUS not able to present a good stable bios
    I spent some time on the ASUS forum at that time and saw more people with simular problems, but the basic problems are mentioned on several differant forums;
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=44;t=000091;p=0
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/2706.html
    I did however, succed with some decent OC with a X2 3800+, but it wasn´t stable and trustful in the long run.

Seems like the MoBo 3-phase design/powermanagement can´t handle too much OC stress or Crossfire settings at the same time.
    ASUS also limited bios vcore setting from 1.6v at pre-release / review samples to 1.40-1.45 at max at launch.
    Some believe it´s because the MoBo was is not fit to handle Crossfire 2 x graphiccards from start and should be fixed with the later A8R32-MVP version.

Ofcourse, It also could be that my experience was based on a bad MoBo sample.
    Please, you guys that has already got it, I´m just sharing some experience and not say it´s a bad mobo for everyone.
    However, personally I would not waste a lot of time on the A8R-MVP, if I was going to build an OC friendly 2xCrossfire system, then I would have replaced it with the later A8R32-MVP version if I wanted to stay with ASUS.
    edited May 2006
    All SLI capable cards works so far for both Intel and Amd-based crossfire boards. We all knew it was a registry hack from the beginning, but until recently, no one have found it.
    edited May 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Has SLi offically been deemed better than Crossfire now?
    If you already own an nvidia card it would be surely more economical.