Pentium D805.

1235»

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Hi all,
    I am using the Thermaltake Copper Ramsink on the Mosfets:
    http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/memory/ramsink.htm

Mirage, my cpu doesn't get hotter than the low 50's under full load ...... BUT ....
    I too suffer the dreaded Voltage droop.
    My overclock is 3.4 right now on both stock voltage or anything else. If I raise the voltage I can go 3.6+ but the droop only gets worse so it isn't stable. I am 100% sure with a quality mobo I could get 3.6+ stable but then I'd have to buy ram and a video card. No thanks, I'm waiting for Conroe and the new harvest of motherboards from either Asus or Abit. If only ASUS had given us decent power regulation, this motherboard would be crack!

I know there is room for improvement for my CPU temperature, but I do not want to buy an expensive CPU cooler. I am planning to replace the 80mm exhaust fan with 120mm which I already have. The case has a 80mm hole, I have to enlarge it to fit the 120mm fan. I hope his helps.

I agree with you, this motherboard could have been much better. And just like you I will either wait for Conroe or go with AMD AM2 before that, no more Pentiums.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    AH....I should have acted sooner. I'll have 3 P D820s for sale within two weeks. fire sale

Good choice on the 805's though. You just can't match the price/performance ratio. Just can't.

I knew I shouldn't have blown the money on the dual opty set-up:doh::rant:

Leonardo, what's up? are you upgrading all your rigs, instead of just the AXP rig?
    Either way, it doesn't look like the 4.5ghz I added is going to hold you off any.:shakehead :sawed:
  • Paradox_969Paradox_969 Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2006
    Mirage,
    This setup, the D805/D820 @3.4/3.4 are just fine for 99.9% of all tasks, even games (at a reasonable resolution).

I would hold of on the AM2 as every test I have read doesn't show any worthwhile improvement at all over Socket 939, whereas the Conroe seems to kick ass to the power of 2! Conroe though, requiers more and better motherboards. Anandtech overclocked a Conroe in an Asus board with NO voltage increase. The overclock was only limited by the reaching the boards fsb limit (!!!) that didn't seem designed anticipating the awesome overclockability of the Conroe.
    I'm salivating at the thought....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Paradox, unfortunately for you the P5P800SE is not exactly "the" LGA775 overclocking board. The Asus P5W series motherboards generally rank near the top...and they still expensive, even the simplest model. I got mine through eBay auctions. The little brother to the P5W boards is the P5LD2. The P5ND2 also has a good reputation. In your case, if you have to get a new motherboard and so forth, it would make sense just to wait for Conroe.

Donut, yep, I'm considering upgrading all the systems. I've got my finger on the "fire" button, ready to order an Asrock Dual SATA and X2 4200+ for system No. 2. For systems 1, 3, and 4 I am considering D915's, which are already available. The 915 is the same as the D920, which is 2,8GHz, 1.3v, Presler dual core, but lacks virtualization technology. What I need to decide is if I would keep these systems intact for at least a year while waiting for Conroe motherboards to mature and to come down in price. I'd love to go Conroe, but the motherboards are just too expensive, especially considering they are first edition technology.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Leo, Is there that much of a difference from the 820 to the 915? I was looking at the 915 last night, newer core, more cache and 65nm instead of 90nm. In the real world is there much difference though? Just curious, I was looking for possible upgrades of the 805, with the prices dropping and all.
    edited July 2006
    Leo,
    Maybe you can afford it, or maybe you just love to tinker but I suspect that it won't take all that long for a whole slew of motherboards for Conroe to come out, so why 'upgrade' now with technology that is just a bit better instead of being patient for technology that is a lot better.

I suspect it'll only be a few months until we have very good motherboards for overclocking Conroe from Asus, Abit (now that they're back and have stated their intention to be real players in the enthousiast market), MSI and the like.

I'm sure that if you take a longer term aproach you can upgrade each box as succesive steps of 'Conroe revisions and mobo's make their appearance. That way you can build a whole stable of cool running Conroe, dual core, quad core etc etc. I don't feel the technology in Conroe is so radically different as to inhibit quality boards from the major players appearing faster than you think.

In a year we'll be talking Quad core and maybe whatever AMD can cook up in their desperation (man...they must be sweating bullets right now, hahahahah )

Sure, I too am tempted by both Intel and AMD price cuts. But the more I think about it the more I've come to realise that my perception is tainted by the fact that AMD's (and Intel) CPU's only look so good now because I've gotten accustomed to their earlier high prices. We're living in a new order now. They seem to be 'cheap' but not a whole lot better.

Of course, if you need these 'puters for work I.E. time intensive calculations that can make or break your deadlines... go for it. You also are in a better position than me since the changes for you amout to at most a CPU and/or a motherboard.
    G'luck deciding.
  • edited July 2006
    Hi guys,

I think I have settled at 3.33 GHz with this P5P800-SE/PD805 combination. I was able to go upto 3.5 GHz stable by increasing the voltage by 0.1v from the default to compensate the vdroop. But temperature is the problem, I was looking at 70C under load. Sure, that can be improved, but only after paying more than half the value of PD805 to a top-end heatsink. I decided not to do that since I do not trust this motherboard under such a high strain on power circuit. I was also thinking to apply the vdroop mod (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440135), as I will not be overclocking further this is also not necessary anymore. 25% overclock is not too bad but it is not that exciting either, yeah I am feeling a little disappointed now :(

Paradox, you are right. I will most probably wait a little longer for AM2 platform. In the mean time, I will keep an eye on Conroe. Most probably, Controe platform will be more stable than AM2 initially, since Socket 775 is not new. There are even some old motherboards that can take Conroe with a BIOS update. I found the following Asrock motherboard (Leo, here is another), it is only $59 at Newegg. http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm I could have used this motherboard with PD805 now and upgrade with Conroe later. Maybe one of you finds it useful.

See you around
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Leo, Is there that much of a difference from the 820 to the 915? I was looking at the 915 last night, newer core, more cache and 65nm instead of 90nm. In the real world is there much difference though? Just curious, I was looking for possible upgrades of the 805, with the prices dropping and all.
    It's a mute point now. My budget priorities and current tighter summer cash dictate that I will now wait a while longer for upgrades. The main advantages of the 915 over the 820 are 25% less power consumption and overclocking potential 200-300MHz higher. It was a toss up as to whether that was advantage enough for the upgrades. I wouldn't hesitate though, to upgrade an 805 to a 915 or 920. After reselling the 805, your net outlay for the 915 would only be $60-75.
    Maybe you can afford it, or maybe you just love to tinker but I suspect that it won't take all that long for a whole slew of motherboards for Conroe to come out, so why 'upgrade' now with technology that is just a bit better instead of being patient for technology that is a lot better.

I suspect it'll only be a few months until we have very good motherboards for overclocking Conroe from Asus, Abit (now that they're back and have stated their intention to be real players in the enthousiast market), MSI and the like.

I'm sure that if you take a longer term aproach you can upgrade each box as succesive steps of 'Conroe revisions and mobo's make their appearance. That way you can build a whole stable of cool running Conroe, dual core, quad core etc etc. I don't feel the technology in Conroe is so radically different as to inhibit quality boards from the major players appearing faster than you think.
    It wasn't an issue of availablity, but rather one of price. Intel overclocking boards are expensive. I'll probably just wait until the volume of boards released is such that they start showing up at eBay and trading forums. That's what I did with my 820 systems.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Leo,
    I'm glad your ok after your latest adventure.

As far as upgrading, I'll have to wait a while. If I find a really good deal I might jump on it, but taking a quick inventory I realize 3 rigs have been put together since this thread started.:eek2: No wonder my house smells of burning plastic!:zombie:

I am eyeing that Asrock board mirage linked to though.:bigggrin:
    edited July 2006
    Donut,
    I too am eying that Asrock board. It might have better power regulation but idiotically doesn't allow +voltage for the CPU BUT does allow +voltage for DDR and AGP.....

go figure.
  • edited July 2006
    Donut,
    I too am eying that Asrock board. It might have better power regulation but idiotically doesn't allow +voltage for the CPU BUT does allow +voltage for DDR and AGP.....

go figure.

I know PT880 chipset from my past builds (see sig). It is a reliable chipset with good memory performance, at least with DDR. However it was not overclocking well above 200FSB, mainly due to lacking PCI/AGP lock. Since my 50% overclock was to raise FSB from 133 to 200, I was not overclocking the board but only the processor, and PT880 chipset worked wonderfully. As for the Asrock board we are discussing here, it has the Pro version of the same chipset. I would expect a comparable perfromance with DDR memory, and I am also optimistic about its DDR2 performance. Best of all, Pro version of PT880 seems to have PCI/AGP lock now, which is very good for overclocking. But the disadvantages would be
    - PCIE is only 4X, not 16x. This might reduce the graphics performance.
    - No vcore adjustments but, I think, u-wire trick might work.
  • edited September 2006
    Old thread i know but was gonna tell those that have th p5p800-se the droop mod works well tho if your temps are hot now they will get hotter. I did the pencil droop mod my 820 2.8@3.4 stock vcore are 1.35 under load im at 1.34-1.35 always under idle 1.37.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the info, mine is stable right now (3.4 with the 805d) I'm just going to let it keep folding until the board dies, or I get really bored. So far so good.