Oblivion tips and tricks (possible spoilers)

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    ulag-mor wrote:
    Does erm anyone know where to get Dragon armour from?

Once you complete the main quest, the elder council has some crafted for you at the imperial armory. Its pretty nice stuff too, 20% resistance to just about everything.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2006
    Well I decided to man up and dump my chameleon gear because it was making the game too easy, now I'm relying on my block & heavy armour skill to see me through.

Interesting things I found last night:

there's a little village south of the imperial city called 'Hackdirt' which has several burnt out buildings in it. If you ask around in the village eventually someone will tell you that they don't like outsiders, outsiders burnt down their village years ago, and if you keep asking questions the 'Brethren' will get you. If you spend a night at the local inn, during the night a guy with a club will appear and start hitting you (ain't local hospitality swell?). This guy is one of the brethren....and he has some nirnroot on him. Anyway, if you poke around the village you'll find a trapdoor to a series of caverns which run under the village and are full of these brethren....and a prison cell full of skeletons. I'm guessing this village is part of some quest, but I never found an explanation as to what was going on with the brethren. Maybe there isn't one, but if someone runs across it let me know.

edit: After a bit more poking a round I found a 'bible of the deep ones' in the church in Hackdirt... I'm guessing this is a H.P. Lovecraft reference.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yeah I was always pretty confused about Hackdirt, generally I reload if I kill anyone because I want to see what kind of quest/story there is. I did manage to sneak in and free the girl from Chorrol, I dunno what else to do though.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    EMT wrote:
    Yeah I was always pretty confused about Hackdirt, generally I reload if I kill anyone because I want to see what kind of quest/story there is. I did manage to sneak in and free the girl from Chorrol, I dunno what else to do though.

As far as I know, the girl from Chorrol quest is the quest involving the town. At least, after I finished that quest, there were only about two surviving townspeople... :-/
    edited April 2006
    There's a new official add-on available

Oblivion downloads
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Menol wrote:
    anyone got tips about the stolen painting in the castle of chorol? duno what to do :grumble:

Solution below :)
    After questioning all the guests, you'll have to find several pieces of evidence.
    1) look for the stain on the carpet in the dining area
    2) look for concealed paining supplies in the woman's (cant remember her name) room
    3) look for a painting in the west tower (I think its west)

After that, accuse her of stealing it, and she gives it back.
    edited April 2006
    Menol wrote:
    so...to shut an oblivion gate i must find a stone in there or something?

Evry Oblivion 'section' has the same aim, although the layout might be different. You need to find the main tower (usually in the middle of the section) and get to the top of it. Once you're in the 'silligum sanctum' at the top of the tower head onto the raised platform and you should see a sigil stone hovering in a pillar of flame. Go grab the stone and the gate will shut and desposit you back where you came in. There might be several towers, the one you need to get to is bigger than the others, and when you're inside it has a pillar of flame up the centre of it. The smaller towers usually have switches at the top that you need to throw to open the gates which are impeding your progress. I think The layout of the sections gets more complex as you level up, although that could just be coincidence and the sections are fixed.

For example: One later type of oblivion section has 6 smaller towers arranged in a circle around the main tower. 4 of these towers connect to the main tower on one level, and the other 2 connect at a slightly lower level. You need to head into one of the 4 'higher' towers, flip the switch, run across the bridge into the main tower, run round that level flipping the switches in each of the other 3 towers (the 4 switches you just flipped open gates arranged round the base of the main tower) then head down to the ground, into one of the other 2 towers, up to the top, across the bridge and you should now be in the main bit of the main tower. Phew. From there you can progress upwards and get the stone.

Once you have the sigil stone you can use it to enchant items. Just click the stone in your inventory and away you go. If you want to be a bit sneaky (and who doesn't?) you can save your game just before picking up the stone. Every time you reload the stone's powers are randomly generated, so just keep reloading til you find something you like.
  • edited April 2006
    thank you so much :) this will help me alot :) problaby found it out my self, but godd to know
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    My favorite quest so far has been the "Lifting the Vale" quest that you get from the Countess of Bruma. It's way more involved than most of the other quests. It's still one of those "bring me the thing and I'll give you another thing" quests, but in this case, the thing carries a pretty high sense of acheivement once you get it, because it's really complicated to get to it :)

An another note: I randomly explored a ruins or whatever and got two bottles of Shadowbanish Wine. They are quest items, but I have no idea where to get the quest, or who wants this wine. Any tips?
    edited April 2006
    My favorite quest so far has been the "Lifting the Vale" quest that you get from the Countess of Bruma. It's way more involved than most of the other quests. It's still one of those "bring me the thing and I'll give you another thing" quests, but in this case, the thing carries a pretty high sense of acheivement once you get it, because it's really complicated to get to it :)

I enjoyed that quest quite a bit. At the time, however, my fighting skills weren't quite up to scratch - each swordfight with the guardians at the place at the end took me several minutes. One particular fight was against a pair of them, and it seriously was a 20 minute long fight!
    An another note: I randomly explored a ruins or whatever and got two bottles of Shadowbanish Wine. They are quest items, but I have no idea where to get the quest, or who wants this wine. Any tips?

I just got two bottles of that the other day as well, up at the top of an old fort. My wife has that quest from somebody (without having gotten any of the wine), but I didn't get the details as to who gave her the quest. I am pretty sure that you need more than two bottles to finish the quest, though, so don't get rid of any of them!
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I enjoyed that quest quite a bit. At the time, however, my fighting skills weren't quite up to scratch - each swordfight with the guardians at the place at the end took me several minutes. One particular fight was against a pair of them, and it seriously was a 20 minute long fight!

Ah ha! You obviously haven't master the "get a train of skeletons to follow you into the spike pit room so they kill themselves, so that your cowardly ass can sneak in while they are running around in a panic and steal the madstone" method... Also, I lucked out and somehow got the Akavari Captain to be attacked by four of his own skeleton guards, which helped out a LOT, to say the least... :eek3:
    edited April 2006
    Ah ha! You obviously haven't master the "get a train of skeletons to follow you into the spike pit room so they kill themselves, so that your cowardly ass can sneak in while they are running around in a panic and steal the madstone" method... Also, I lucked out and somehow got the Akavari Captain to be attacked by four of his own skeleton guards, which helped out a LOT, to say the least... :eek3:

By the time I had found the spike pit room, I basically had killed most of the skeletons. I fought a few of them near the pit, one at a time, and instead of a five-minute battle on each of them, I lured them to the edge and then bashed them off into the pit with my sword. Actually, it was one of their swords, since I had run out of repair hammers by that point, and my primary weapon had been reduced to 0 usefulness.

Umm...
    You don't have to kill the captain. If you picked up the orders in the cave earlier, you can give them to the captain and he fades away, his soul at peace. Though, the orders basically say that he can stop waiting for a resupply because it's not coming, according to the journal entry translation.

At that point, all of the undead Akaviri skeleton soldiers also fade away, and the skeletons stop being animated. Essentially, all the rest of the skeletons fall to the ground, dead, and you can just walk away with the madstone.

My wife got mad when I told her this, because she had just run up to the captain and bashed him with her sword until he was dead. And she wondered why he didn't fight back!
    edited April 2006

Head for the village of Weye, which is at the end of the bridge leading to the island with the imperial city on it. Look for the inn (can't remember the name of it) and speak to the woman who owns it. She gives you a quest to find 6 bottles, but there's lots more than that in the game. After you've done the quest (and got the 1000 gold reward) she'll give you 100 gold for every bottle you find. While you're in Weye you might want to look for Aelwin Merowald. He also has a quest for you :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I think my favorite quest so far was the final quest of the Thieves Guild... It is a heck of a Quest (Took me several hours to complete it) and as the title says, it is "The Ultimate Heist" Awesome ending too!!
  • edited April 2006
    does anyone know were to get some really powerful swords
    edited April 2006
    You can make your own if you get, say a nice ebony or daedric sword and then enchant it yourself at the mage's guild with a grand soul gem and a couple thousand gold.
    edited April 2006
    You can make your own if you get, say a nice ebony or daedric sword and then enchant it yourself at the mage's guild with a grand soul gem and a couple thousand gold.

So far, the most powerful swords I've had were enchanted with 20 shock damage on hit. I made one of them from a glass shortsword and a sigil stone with that effect, and I found the other in a cave. Enemies die a LOT faster when you're doing an additional 20 shock damage each time you hit them, plus they seem to fly in the air when they die from shock damage.:D
    edited April 2006
    My sword at the moment is the famous 'Pointy McBladeson' , an ebony longsword I enchanted with absorb health 30 points. The longsword itself does 17 or 18 damage, and with the 30 absorb health on top there's not much that can take more than a few hits from it.

On a similar theme, I've heard that you can enchant weapons with multiple effects. Anyone got any tips on doing this since I can't figure out how to do it? Can I add another enchantment to my sword, or so I need to add them all at the same time?
    edited April 2006
    The problem I have with enchanted swords is they only last one fight before they go bye-bye and use up the charges. I can't keep these things charged long enough to be effective... If I'm headed to a dungeon and a stupid timberwolf or bear gets in my way - they use up the weapon charge (I have a sword called Blood Drinker and a bow called Cheiron :rarr:) before I ever get to use it against a REAL enemy :mad:
    edited April 2006
    Aye, that can be a problem. I always carry an unenchanted Ebony longsword for just that reason, as well as my main Blade and Umbra. Added bonus is that I can actually repair the unenchanted blade myself (my armourer skill isn't high enough for me to repair enchanted items yet).
    edited April 2006
    I have Azura's Star, so keeping my weapon charged is typically not a problem. I do keep a Deadric dagger (unenchanted) as a backup weapon. To keep my weapon fully charged and ready for each fight, here is what I do:

1. Summon a scamp
    2. Cast soul-trap on the scamp
    3. Sneak and kill the scamp in one hit (6x bonus) with the Daedric dagger
    4. Use the 300 soul points that have been captured in Azura's star
    5. Repeat until all weapons are recharged.
    edited April 2006
    Added a link to an interactive map, a list of mods and the UESP wiki for oblivion to the first post....so go check them out :D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Do NPCs dispositions ever go back up or is it basically a "when you've used it up you've used it up"?
    edited May 2006
    You can almost totally control most NPC's disposition through the speechcraft "wheel" minigame, or through bribery.
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, maybe I read ingame wrong, I'll have to check tommorow. I got an NPC up to 86 or so and I thought it said something like "Disposition minimum reached" or something like that making me think I couldn't use the wheel anymore...

Like the new lockpick thing, gives a sense of achievement when you break into things, especially when you have just started the game and crack a 'Very Hard' lock relatively easily :p
    edited May 2006
    No, I'm just imagining things it seems. "Disposition Maxed" is what it says.. but... if it's maxed, why can I still bribe them and increase it?
    edited May 2006
    Some NPCs have a max depending on your race / their race, their "fit" into the plot, etc. Most general NPCs max at 100, but some quest or VIP NPCs have a max set due to storyline or something.
    edited May 2006
    The max you can get them up to with speechcraft is, I think, partially dependent upon your speechcraft skill. I've never been able to get someone up to 100 by doing just the wheel game. To get them above that, I've had to resort to things like bribery and closing Oblivion gates threatening the town.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    There is a beta 1.1 patch out that is supposed to fix some stuff. If you didn't buy your game with direct2drive, then:

release notes:
    http://www.theelderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patchnotes5.htm

patch:
    http://www.theelderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm
    edited May 2006
    You get the Hackdirt quest from Chorrol's "north west trade goods" (or something like that) store. It's called "The Missing Daughter" quest.. I can't think of their names, but the Argonian owner's daughter went missing on a trip to Hackdirt. You have to go there and rescue her and bring her (and her horse) back to Chorrol.

Okay, so I'm level 31, haven't started the main quest yet, and now even bandits and other "low level" characters are dropping daedric weapons and armor. Problem is, I can't find a merchant with more than 1200 septims available, so I'm losing a lot on the potential value of these items when I sell them. Anybody know where I can find a merchant with some actual money? :D