Oblivion tips and tricks (possible spoilers)

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how to get the huge amount of magika you need to cast the highest level spells?
    I've got base intellignece and willpower values of 100 but still only pushing 330 magika. My character is a breton born under the sign of the mage. I'm guessing I need to use enchanted items/armour to raise my intelligence above 100? Can i enchant rings?
    Any help wwould be appreciated.
  • edited August 2006
    With Magicka really high, enchanting things at the Arcane University usually works best when using % enchantments instead of point enchantments.

For example, if your Magicka is maxed out, enchanting something with +20% magicka increase is better than +50 points of magicka. I still haven't gotten my mana high enough to cast some spells, but I'm up to about 450 right now.
  • edited August 2006
    Wicked. Thanks Kendaric!
  • edited August 2006
    Kirateh wrote:
    Hey guys well i tried to kill the Girl with the Umbra sword 2 times, at lvl 8 i got owned and i came back at lvl 12 and got owned =/. I did find a stratagy though. I use the Setherhorne ( Im guessing its spelt wrong, i mean the dagger you get in the Dark Brotherhood that is enchanted and looks awsome and glows red when you take out.) its the only weapon i have the can actually inflict damage on her. I normally use a Glass shortsword. Well i put potion of paralasis on the dagger to stun her for 5 seconds. i can get her health half way down but i can't seem to kill her. If any one knows where i can buy another potion of paralasis ( I'm prety sure I checked all the mages guilds) Pls tell me. Or if you know a good way to kill her that would be good too. Thx a ton.

when you go to kill umbra its a quest from a deadric lord and your suposed to be a level 18 to do the quest. and the sword does soul trap for 120 seconds and 20 damage if you do the quest its called umbra
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2006
    when you go to kill umbra its a quest from a deadric lord and your suposed to be a level 18 to do the quest. and the sword does soul trap for 120 seconds and 20 damage if you do the quest its called umbra

Best way I found to kill Umbra quite early is do an oblivion gate and use the save-reload trick (save just before picking up the stone at the top of the tower and check what you got, reload until you get the stone that you want) until you get a stone with the 'absorb health' attribute. Enchant a sword with this and you now have a sword that not only does a lot of damage, but also heals you whilst doing so. Stock up on health potions and make sure you have a couple of charged soul gems to recharge your sword and then go Umbra hunting.
  • edited August 2006
    I did the arena matches at level 8, can't say I struggled with any of them. Once it got to the point of fighting against weird monsters I stopped.

This is practically cheating though. Having block at 100+ at level 8 isnt really normal. I stopped sleeping when I got bored of leveling all the time and game getting harder without me making any real progress.
  • edited September 2006
    Few quick questions for you Oblivion savvy folks:

1. I know when becoming jailed, you can lose any stat and gain +1 or soforth in sneak and security. Is it possible to lose sneak and security in jail? Also, using this + skill in jail method, can you go above 100?

2. What is the highest level your character can attain?

3. Does anyone know the location of the sword said to be better than Umbra? Blood Thorn or something like that?

4. Is it possible to duplicate items after the Xbox live patch?

5. I just closed the Great Oblivion Gate but have yet to go to Cloud Top to enter "Paradise"... am I close to closing all the gates? (I don't want to close them all yet)

6. Is there a really good place to fight vampires? I got kicked from the Mage's guild when doing the last Thieve's guild quest and I need 20 Vampire Dusts. =[
  • edited September 2006
    Figured out something today... despite the Xbox live patch, you can still duplicate items! Here's how:

First of all, you must have both a sword and a quiver of arrows equipped at the same time.

1. Equip a sword, not a bow! (I use the dagger you get from the Dark Brotherhood quest to kill Rufio)

2. Croutch down so you see the translucent eye.

3. Swing your sword and enter the inventory screen once you've gotten about 1/2 of the way through your swing.

4. Click on your equipped arrows.

5. Wait for the "you can't blah blah" message to disappear (it has to be gone before you drop the item or the item won't duplicate.

6. Drop desired item to duplicate (*Note: You cannot duplicate quest items since they cannot be dropped ((e.g. Umbra sword)) )

7. Exit the inventory screen, and just as before, ta-da! Duplicated items!

Happy Questing,

||// endaric
    ||\\

\-/-\-/-\-/ ][v][onk of ][][blivion /-\-/-\-/-\
  • edited September 2006
    Entirely pointless bit of fun information, but I did the 100% chameleon trick so that no one could see me.

I found that if you run up against someone and push them into a corner, they will lift off the ground and sometimes be thrown across the room. Doesn't achieve anything, but is hilarious nonetheless.
  • edited September 2006
    Enigma wrote:
    To: Deicist - (you seem to be the most knowledgeable one!)

My question is this then: If the monsters get harder and get better armour and weapons as you Level Up, what is the point of Levelling Up? I have always been fond of building your character up so that you can kick some of the earlier enemies ass! Will this not be possible in this game?

Well, leveling up does mean that enemieas have better armor, but that also means that if you kill them, you know have better armor! :)
  • edited September 2006
    Today my friend in Biology told me about a place called Sideways Cave or somethin like that that has some cool stuff in it. Also does anyone know where to find the dagger that makes a clone of the person you attack?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It's not a dagger, it's a staff. It's called the Skull of Corruption. You get it from the Shrine of Vaermina after completing the quest.
  • edited September 2006
    Small FYI for any pack rats... I discovered at level 15+ Crayfish cave is one of the best places to stock up on huge amounts of goods. I had to make about 4 trips back to my house to unload all I gathered (and I can carry 700 and am only at 80 with basic armor/weapons)
  • edited September 2006
    Thats Crazy Cool! Thanks
  • edited September 2006
    This is actually a reply to my post about goblins being cool intem impaired. I proved myself wrong last night. I found a Goblin Warlord with a Dwarven Short Sword.

Also There is a Daedric Shrine N/E of Lord Drads Estate(Near Anvil) That Requires an offering of troll fat and then after the mission gives you a hella cool Hammer That paralyzes. Too bad I suck with Blunt Weapons.
  • edited September 2006
    I've wished a lot of times that games would make using blunt weapons more fun.... I mean, why would you want to swing a big chunk of metal when you get sweet weapons like Katanas and my personal favorite, glass weapons.

They should somehow try to find more appeal in using a blunt weapon. I guess it all started at the beginning of the game when you could choose between a rusty iron axe or an iron claymore... of course the claymore looked awesome in comparison.

I know this is probably a noob question... but after all of my playing, I've gotten some Daedric weapons, glass weapons, orc weapons/armor, dwarven weapons/armor but I've yet to get either Daedric or Glass armors... do these even exist in Oblivion?

The thing I loved most about Morrowind was my full set of glass armor... I just absolutely love the lighting and the way light bounces off of the blades (and even the blunt glass weapons!) Could I get those at that Ka'hjit town? Bordercross I think it's called? I know you can get a ton of cool items if you massacre the town, but what about glass armor? =[
  • edited September 2006
    Yes, both kinds exist. You just have to be a higher level to have them start popping up commonly. Try picking the lock to the basement of the Best Defence( Market District of trhe imperial city) and then open the trap door. There should be some bandits with kick ass gear down there. I dunno about the town you mentioned. I dont think Ive been there.
  • edited September 2006
    Bordercross is great... it's nothing but like... 10 Kah'jits and they all have enchanted weapons (and if you wait until night time, you can slaughter the entire town without even getting a bounty) Or of course, just use the Gray Cowl if you have that :D

It's just one of those awesome item spots... I suggest you try and find it... I can't remember exactly where I found it. My Orc is level 16 I think and my High Elf is about 14... perhaps I'm just not a high enough level to be getting Glass armor, I just assumed I would be considering a lot of the enemies now have Orc, Dwarven and Glass weapons.
  • edited September 2006
    This game offers no incentive at all to be good. The best stuff comes from the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild. The Gray Cowl is ridiculous because you can walk up to anyone and kill them or take all the stuff from shops and then take off the Cowl and walk away without any problems at all. Meanwhile the Dark Brotherhood offers some generally awesome armor and you can find an Ebony bow in a Brother's chest. They're really easy to steal from and they all have excellent stuff, not to mention good loot from quests.

Also, I've found archery to work really well everywhere. You can get out of most fights having only taken minimal amounts of damage and with a decent bow + good enchanted arrows you can take down nearly anything in a couple shots. I usually buy 100+ silver/elven arrows as often as I can and use them against common stuff and then whenever I get glass arrows or arrows with good enchantments I save them for bosses or tough fights.

Oh yeah, also you get stinking rich from Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild quests. I have like 25,000 gold from rewards and selling the loot.

Now that I'm Grand Champion of the Arena, Listener in the Dark Brotherhood and Guildmaster of the Thieve's Guild, I don't know what else to do. I haven't even started on the main quest yet, so I guess I should do that now.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Moogle wrote:
    Oh yeah, also you get stinking rich from Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild quests. I have like 25,000 gold from rewards and selling the loot.

If you think 25,000 gold from the DB and TG quests is the best you can do, prepare to be surprised when you start doing the 'good' quests. Once I had reached about level 18 with my first character, 25,000 gold was a normal day in the caves for me.
  • edited September 2006
    Well yeah, by level 18 you're getting enchanted weapons and good armor from everything consistently, but I had that much money by level 8 or so. It's not that much when you get to higher levels, but at that point it was pretty sweet.
  • edited September 2006
    I just got level 21 in my Mage and I get so many enchanted items and Glass/Orc/Daedric stuff now, it's ridiculous. I can't imagine even pulling out half of these items to use, so I totally decked out my houses (Leyawiin is my favorite house, not too big, not too small) and I have axes lining the wall... swords and daggers laid out neatly across my table, a huge basket overflowing with Varla and Welkynd stones, and each type of arrow adorning a few dresser shelves. Even a couple of flat baskets holding all of my rare jewels.

I know it sounds tacky, but I've had a ton of fun just decorating my houses with all the unique items and giving it it's own feel. I only wish Oblivion allowed you to move furniture and hang paintings (or even better, let you take screenshots and frame them in your house!)

Well, you may be able to do this on the PC version, I have mine on the 360.
  • edited October 2006
    Ahhh! I am doing a fighters guild missionwhere I go to a ayleid place, anyways those dang switches that open gates dont work! I need an xbox live patch but I dont have xbox live. Does anyone know any downloadsites to get these off the net?
  • edited October 2006
    Ahhh! I am doing a fighters guild missionwhere I go to a ayleid place, anyways those dang switches that open gates dont work! I need an xbox live patch but I dont have xbox live. Does anyone know any downloadsites to get these off the net?

If you're talking about the Aylied ruins I've been to (the one with three switches opening two gates) open the one on the right and the middle one.

If you mean the one with 3 large, solid gates, I couldn't figure out the combination and jumped from ledge to ledge without opening any of them :D
  • edited October 2006
    If you get caught stealing expensive items... Resist arrest.. drop all your stolen possessions and yield. Then go to jail.

When you return the Items will still be there. Simply stay out of sight and pick them back up :ukflag:
  • edited October 2006
    Kendaric wrote:
    If you're talking about the Aylied ruins I've been to (the one with three switches opening two gates) open the one on the right and the middle one.

If you mean the one with 3 large, solid gates, I couldn't figure out the combination and jumped from ledge to ledge without opening any of them :D

Actually it is in every Ayleid place. It is a Major glitch. Everytime I go to open one of those gates with the hole in the center, I hit the switch ( either wall switch stone or floor panel) and the door will not open. It is making me erally mad because I need to finish a level in an Ayleid Temple for the Fighters Guild AND the main quest. I dont know how to fix this, so I now have 96 hours of gameplay and I havent beaten the main quests. GRRR! Please HELP!!!!!!
  • edited October 2006
    Kendaric wrote:
    Bordercross is great... it's nothing but like... 10 Kah'jits and they all have enchanted weapons (and if you wait until night time, you can slaughter the entire town without even getting a bounty) Or of course, just use the Gray Cowl if you have that :D

It's just one of those awesome item spots... I suggest you try and find it... I can't remember exactly where I found it. My Orc is level 16 I think and my High Elf is about 14... perhaps I'm just not a high enough level to be getting Glass armor, I just assumed I would be considering a lot of the enemies now have Orc, Dwarven and Glass weapons.

Wow I need to find this place! DO you have a general Idea of where it is?
  • edited October 2006
    Wow I need to find this place! DO you have a general Idea of where it is?

Got the name wrong, it is actually Border Watch. I'll boot up the 360 now and find the location for you.

(Rockmilk cave also has TONS of stuff once you hit level 20+)

*waits for 360*

Okay... Border Watch...

Travel to Leyawiin

Just outside of Leyawiin to the North is the White Stallion Lodge.

From there, head directly North until you reach Water's Edge.

From there, head directly West and you will run smack dab into the middle of Border Watch.

If you wait until level 15+ you will get tons of Ebony/Glass weapons. Level 20+ and tons of Daedric.

Wait about a game month and come back and all the residents will have respawned and you can re-massacre the town.

Enjoy
    - Kendaric
  • edited October 2006
    Kendaric wrote:
    Got the name wrong, it is actually Border Watch. I'll boot up the 360 now and find the location for you.

(Rockmilk cave also has TONS of stuff once you hit level 20+)

*waits for 360*

Okay... Border Watch...

Travel to Leyawiin

Just outside of Leyawiin to the North is the White Stallion Lodge.

From there, head directly North until you reach Water's Edge.

From there, head directly West and you will run smack dab into the middle of Border Watch.

If you wait until level 15+ you will get tons of Ebony/Glass weapons. Level 20+ and tons of Daedric.

Wait about a game month and come back and all the residents will have respawned and you can re-massacre the town.

Enjoy
    - Kendaric

Thanks!

I have found two glitches recently

1. Climb onto the houses on bruma on the west side and you will be able to jump onto the wall. Jump over and you will be in a low res, no enemy or location cyrodiil! Woohoo! Loads of fun.

2. In the arena, once you arive at the little gate that you have to wait to be lowered, turn around and face the little blood smeared tunnel you came from. Then jump in the spot in between the left wall and the dooar frame around the tunnel. You will go through the wall and will be able to climb around from there. If you fall, you will not die, you just reappear in that tunnel. It is pretty fun and it confuses the AI. I have actually gotten up into the viewing boothes and gotten stuck. LOL
  • edited January 2007
    I know no one has posted in forever, but I hope to revive some sort of thread.

During the quest at Whitmond farm (Just outside of Anvil) there's a lady who gardens and talks about her missing husband, and her family heirloom "Rockshatter".

Oddly enough, I walked into her house today to find her sitting down in front of the fireplace, scraping her rake across the floor. Just thought it was a funny glitch, has this happened to anyone else?

Also, I read on another thread about some sort of 'secret cabbage' that you can eat or equip and it'll cast a spell called "Winds of the Nine" ... is this true or is it likely just a mod for the PC version? I'd be very interested in finding any extra 'eggs' that haven't yet been uncovered.