Oblivion tips and tricks (possible spoilers)

Comments

• edited June 2006
    I have an ATI Radeon R600
    hehe
  • edited June 2006
    Stuck in kind of a rut here. Been playing Oblivion on the 360 for about a month. Got really far, tons of items, I'm an expert thief.

Turns out I have this Cheese I stole from Border Watch (the place with all the Kahjit (sp) people. I think it might be called Orlav cheese or whatever. Anyway, it appears to be part of a quest. I have the manual and can't seem the find the quest in there, and stealing the cheese itself does not activate this quest.

Regardless, many of you may well know stealing an item and getting arrested sometimes (or in my case, always) locks up your game. The reason for this? Simple.

You cannot remove quest items from your inventory. You can't eat the cheese. I have a bounty on my head and I can't seem to get it removed. Since the guards confiscate stolen goods, yet quest items cannot be removed, this creates a paradox for the game and it gets stuck in an infinite loop to keep the item in your inventory, yet have it removed by the guard.

Could I get it removed if I'm in the thieves guild? I know you can sell stolen item to fences and then repurchase them without the "red hand" that identifies stolen items. (my character is not currently in the thieves guild, so it would be extremely hard to join without getting busted by the guards)

I've been stuck with this problem for a couple days and I can't seem to find a solution. Any help? Thanks!

EDIT:

Managed to fix my own problem. Turns out a freak chance of events caused this problem. Check this out:

I completed the "Corrupt Guard" mission where you send the Imperial guard to the slammer for his misdeads. I found out that by not paying gold or by not resisting arrest, I was able to keep the game from freezing by simply going to jail (the only reason I didn't try this before is I wanted a clean record for "days spent in jail")

Anyway, after doing my time there, I came out only to be met face to face with some guy wielding a dagger saying, "I'll get you for what you did to me"... I'm thinking "What the hell is going on?" So... naturally, trying to escape the craziness of being sent back to jail, I run from the courtyard out into Castle Anvil. The problem? It turns out it was the Corrupt Guard attacking me! He'd escaped out of jail. To further complicate things, if a guard sees you attacking another guard, it doesn't matter who starts the fight, the other guards will inevitably attack you!

I couldn't believe how complicated this was becoming.

After 3 attempts to escape and reload and retry my escape, I finally gave in and killed the guy where he stood in the area between the dungeon and the castle. No guard witnessed the bloodshed, and I was thus free of my crimes and got away with my cheese.

I think it's time to do that stupid cheese quest before I get arrested again. =p

Just thought you all might enjoy hearing the insanity of overlapping quests.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2006
    Kendaric wrote:
    Anyway, after doing my time there, I came out only to be met face to face with some guy wielding a dagger saying, "I'll get you for what you did to me"... I'm thinking "What the hell is going on?" So... naturally, trying to escape the craziness of being sent back to jail, I run from the courtyard out into Castle Anvil. The problem? It turns out it was the Corrupt Guard attacking me! He'd escaped out of jail.

It was pretty funny when I ran into that situation.. I was just about finished closing an oblivion gate, and that guy started chasing me around in the plains of oblivion! When I closed the gate, his corpse flew into the air..
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2006
    "Is there a limit to the number of stones you can collect from the Oblivion gates? If they continually respawn do they continually genrate random stones or are there 16/32/whatever number of specific stones that are created?"

I do not know if there is a limit, But I have closed 75 Oblivion Gates so far and got 75 sigil stones. More random gates open when I go wandering around in the outback. How many gates are out there, I do not know.

ps...they do not respawn,,new gates will open but the ones you closed stay closed
  • edited June 2006
    ronbo wrote:
    "Is there a limit to the number of stones you can collect from the Oblivion gates? If they continually respawn do they continually genrate random stones or are there 16/32/whatever number of specific stones that are created?"

I do not know if there is a limit, But I have closed 75 Oblivion Gates so far and got 75 sigil stones. More random gates open when I go wandering around in the outback. How many gates are out there, I do not know.

ps...they do not respawn,,new gates will open but the ones you closed stay closed

they respawn inn random areas, with random worlds
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2006
    New ones spawn up, yes. But the ones you close stay closed FOREVER. Go back to one of the gates you closed and tell me what you see.....So, as I said, the gates you close do not reopen...
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    they respawn inn random areas, with random worlds

They don't respawn (as Ronbo said) and they're not random. There's several different configurations for oblivion planes but there's not an infinite amount and there's only 5 or 6 core types. Also, the gate location isn't random either, there's set locations on the map where gates spawn. You can download a map from somewhere on the internet (think I've linked it in this thread already) that has all the oblivion gate locations on it.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2006
    deicist. I read from the Elder Scrolls forum that there are about 150 gates. I closed 75 so far and I can't seem to find anymore. I have not finished the main quest for this reason. I enjoy them , its a good place to test out my new enchanted weapons. But I"ll be darned if I can find any more to close. I wish there was a code to reopen all gates....
  • edited June 2006
    I don't know for sure exactly how the gate system works, but I know that if you check an online map, it showed exactly 40 locations for gates.

This would lead me to believe that locations are recycled and not entirely random. Nor do I believe that the amount would be random.

I've also been told that after completing the game, there are still some gates to open, I don't know about this last statement, but I know with 100% certainty that the first two are correct.
  • edited June 2006
    You should also remember that the Mythic Dawn may try to step up their gate opening operation as their circumstances change...
  • edited June 2006
    deicist wrote:
    They don't respawn (as Ronbo said) and they're not random. There's several different configurations for oblivion planes but there's not an infinite amount and there's only 5 or 6 core types. Also, the gate location isn't random either, there's set locations on the map where gates spawn. You can download a map from somewhere on the internet (think I've linked it in this thread already) that has all the oblivion gate locations on it.

Sorry for not being clear enough. When i said random i didnt mean that your xbox decides, i just meant that the areas are just scattered all around the map sometimes in places that dont seem logical or anything. the insides of the worlds also arent random as in randomly generated or anything, but the configurations are random (one of the "5 or 6 core types). im not sure if the configurations are the same for everyone but i think they are, the locations are also always the same for every one.
  • edited June 2006
    Just wanted to pass on a little bit of a glitch or troublesome thing I ran into... so hopefully some of you can avoid it.

WARNING: This section may contain somewhat of a spoiler if you haven't done the Dark Brotherhood questline yet.

When completing the quest, "The Assassinated Man", I found that Francois Motierre became "stuck" in a sense when I was removing him from his crypt. Apparently, if he gets distracted and talks to anyone within the chapel, he will stop moving and will stand there.

I tried pushing him and telling him to follow me and all. Nothing worked at all. I loaded a previous game and made sure that no one was within talking distance to him the next time I pulled him out of the undercroft.

He then successfully followed me out of the chapel and to The Grey Mare.

Just wanted to give this bit of information to anyone else who may have struggled with this quest. I've also compiled a list of problems and solutions. If anyone has any problems completing any quests in the game for any reason, feel free to contact me at SadExchange84@netscape.net and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Happy questing,
    -Kendaric

p.s. Another neat little thing I've come to rely on is being able to easily recollect my items. If you're anything like me, you're constantly adding loot to your inventory and don't have time to make 100 trips to the local Thieves Guild fence. When being pursued by a guard, instead of having to break back into prison to steal your items back or going to the trouble of breaking out, simply drop your items and move far enough away from them that the guard won't see them at your feet.

Later, when you go back to gather them, some of the items may be hard to spot such as gems and keys. To make this task a lot easier, try casting any Telekinesis spell. It'll make it VERY easy to spot any items on the ground that you might otherwise overlook and therefore, forever lose. Hope this is helpful to anyone who uses the same tactics as I do.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    Hi chums,
    Just got Oblivion so I'm a total noob and already have a question. I believe there is a map that I can use to get around, it also shows details of my current quest? I have looked through the book and pressed every keyboard key but no map or quest info. Am I missing something or do I get it later?
  • edited July 2006
    F4 and try the tabs at the bottom. Read the on screen prompts next time :)
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, sat in the garden and read the manual, it's there in the inventory. I thought it was just the compass, D'oh!
    I would read the prompts but they're on screen for like 1 second! Not bad but these pesky monsters are tough as old boots.
    edited July 2006
    Another noob question. I've read some of this thread but how do you all play it? I mean, did you do the quest that starts off the game or go off and do your own thing? I'm having a lot of problems killing these monsters in the towers in the main quest to the point of frustration. Am I better off leaving it until I build my powers etc up a bit?
    edited July 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Another noob question. I've read some of this thread but how do you all play it? I mean, did you do the quest that starts off the game or go off and do your own thing? I'm having a lot of problems killing these monsters in the towers in the main quest to the point of frustration. Am I better off leaving it until I build my powers etc up a bit?

I did the first few missions in the main quest, then went off on my own... there's plenty of other quests around in addition to the main quest if you look round. The only bit of the main quest you really need to do early on is the battle for Kvatch. If you do that when you're at a low level it's fairly easy, if you leave it til later in the game the scaling system means it's nearly impossible to do.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What deicist said, I left the main quest and stuff till later and it became utterly impossible (the game really put me off from this so much I've stopped playing it). If you lower the difficulty slider it will become playable again (but by the time I figured that out it's kinda already ruined).
    edited July 2006
    but i look so goofy in heavy armor and bare feet! :D
    Yeah but better than you do naked with shoes on.
  • edited July 2006
    I have the Umbra sword, and as a battlemage, I don't quite have the uber strength of a warrior... the damage is only 13 without enchantments, but could anyone tell me of any greater weapons and/or their locations?

Someone mentioned Blood thorne or something like that?
    edited July 2006
    OK, I have to level up so I can get an artifact. I guess I have to use the right spells etc to advance my major skills? I have closed three gates just to kill monsters to try and do this but now I am just wandering around looking for someone to use them on. What's the best way to level up?
  • edited July 2006
    Have you slept at an inn recently?
    edited July 2006
    bothered wrote:
    OK, I have to level up so I can get an artifact. I guess I have to use the right spells etc to advance my major skills? I have closed three gates just to kill monsters to try and do this but now I am just wandering around looking for someone to use them on. What's the best way to level up?

Depends what your major skills are. Some of them you can 'spam' use to level up, eg: acrobatics, which you can increase just by running about the place like a mad thing. Some of them are more difficult, ie destruction: you need to actually hit something before it will increase. If you're a magic based character a good way to increase some skills is to summon something ( a skeleton or whatever) then kill it. You get the skill increase form the summoning and from whatever you use to kill it. You best bet if you find a quest that you need to be a certain level to do is leave it for a bit. Go off and do something else instead, come back to the quest later on. If you try and power level just to do wthat quest you'll usually find that your character isn't as balanced as he could be, and that could cause problems later on.
    edited July 2006
    I am still on the main quest and have to get a Daedric artifact so I have to activate a shrine. All of them require that I'm at least at level 2. My 'level up' meter shows around three quarters full so I need to get it higher but apart from running around trying to cast spells and stuff??? I can summon a couple of creatures though, I'll try that.
    edited July 2006
    Seriously, if you're that far on the main quest and you're only a level 2 I'd highly recommend backing off for a bit and going doing something else. It sounds like you're rushing your way through the main quest without taking time to do anything else... it's entirely your choice of course but I really think you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you leave the main quest for a bit and go do something else. DO the guild quests, or some of the random quests. You'll see more of the game and level up ready for the main quest.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    But Jauffre and Martin say things like "I need you to do this immediately" when they give you a quest... I know it sounds strange to say this about a computer game, but sometimes I feel guilty for doing something else in the meantime. ;) "Allies for Bruma" was the first time I sidestepped the main quest for a long period of time with my first character.
    edited July 2006
    Ah right, I thought I had to do that one first. I'll go for a trot round and see the world a bit.
    Cheers.
  • edited July 2006
    My advice is to do all of the Mage's Guild quests. Aside from the huge amounts of loot and items you'll gain from doing this, chances are you will have learned enough spells or leveled up enough skills so that when you finally have a chance to enter the Arcane University you can create spells that make it very easy to level up.

For instance, you don't necessarily have to attack anyone to level up your Destruction skill. If you create a spell with 1 to damage on self and then just sit (or you can even move around while you do this) you can 'attack' yourself and gain the benefits.

Another easy trick is to learn any of the "Open _ Lock" (very easy, easy, average, hard, very hard) And cast it over and over on a chest that is harder than the skill you are using.

For Example: Cast "Open Easy Lock" on a 'Hard' chest. It will not unlock, but if you cast it over and over, your alteration skill will level up.
  • edited July 2006
    I have a few general questions about oblivion. A few give away what happens in the fighters guild and thieves guild quests, be warned if you read them and have not done those.

If I steal as the Gray fox, and am also in the fighters guild and\or mages guild, will they know it is me and kick me out?

Is there anyway to get rid of the bounty you get on you as the gray fox?
  • edited July 2006
    To: Deicist - (you seem to be the most knowledgeable one!)

Hey there! Was hopin you could answer a question of mine?

I used to have Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2) on my PC, goin back a few years. I've recently purchased an XBox 360 purely for the latest installment. I remember back then, making a bad mistake of picking the wrong major skills and having to start over after 50+ hours of gameplay. Something I'd like to preferably avoid this time! I'm very familiar with the workings of the latest game and have played through the first dungeon and got outside.

My question is this then: If the monsters get harder and get better armour and weapons as you Level Up, what is the point of Levelling Up? I have always been fond of building your character up so that you can kick some of the earlier enemies ass! Will this not be possible in this game?

My thought behind this is selecting Major skills that don't level up too quickly (e.g. Sneak) and try to build up the Minor skills as much as possible to give myself an advantage.

Am I misguided in my approach do you think? :buck: