Oblivion tips and tricks (possible spoilers)

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Kendaric wrote:
    I know no one has posted in forever, but I hope to revive some sort of thread.

During the quest at Whitmond farm (Just outside of Anvil) there's a lady who gardens and talks about her missing husband, and her family heirloom "Rockshatter".

Oddly enough, I walked into her house today to find her sitting down in front of the fireplace, scraping her rake across the floor. Just thought it was a funny glitch, has this happened to anyone else?

Also, I read on another thread about some sort of 'secret cabbage' that you can eat or equip and it'll cast a spell called "Winds of the Nine" ... is this true or is it likely just a mod for the PC version? I'd be very interested in finding any extra 'eggs' that haven't yet been uncovered.

No, I havent seen that glitch, but I did find one really cool and funny one. I saw an imperial legion guard on a horse traveling somewhere near leyawiin and so i decided to paralize him, just out of the blue. I used my spell that I created called "haha" which does 54 second paralyze on touch on his horse and they both became paralyzed...so it appeared. The guard became invisible and then started attacking me out of trhin air, however his body was still laying next to the horse...hmmm....unable to see him i started randomly swinging and killed him. He then glitched out and started flipping all over. It was pretty funny.
  • edited January 2007
    :honoes: found a tiny lil random thing I thought was weird. If you look at the Imperial city, on your map to the west is Fort Nikel. Go directly north (about an inch on your tv screen) and you find an Aylied well. (The shiny blue kind) If you walk around to one of the sides, there's a very distinct blue triangle, almost like an arrow, pointing towards the well...

It would seem like this wasn't intend to be left in the final stages of the game... or perhaps it leads in the direction of something? Has anyone else ever spotted this?
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited January 2007
    I've had oblivion for a while..

..but have only recently really started playing it.

I recently did the quest where you had to recover a crystal ball from this ghost ship, i think at the waterfront of the imperial city. As a reward i got the "Redwave", the captains cutlass, and wondered how to recharge it?
  • edited January 2007
    Deano wrote:
    I've had oblivion for a while..

..but have only recently really started playing it.

I recently did the quest where you had to recover a crystal ball from this ghost ship, i think at the waterfront of the imperial city. As a reward i got the "Redwave", the captains cutlass, and wondered how to recharge it?

There's multiple ways in fact. One is that if you go to the Arcane University, there is a man that can do it there (for a fee). Also, most blacksmiths can repair it for a fee. The only free way to recharge them is to collect soul gems and capture a soul inside of them.

One of the easiest ways to do this is to travel to Vindasel (which is right outside of the Imperial City, you can find it by walking along the road west of the city, it's directly off the road, you can't miss it) and kill Umbra and take her sword. This sword captures the soul of any animal and places it into a soul gem (if you have one in your inventory) The greater the soul captured, the greater amount of recharge you will receive when you use it.

If you have any more questions, just ask :D Also, I have a post a page or two back about how to kill Umbra with little or no trouble (she regenerates health, so it can be kind of tough to take her down)
  • edited February 2007
    i completed the main questline, but i cant find anymore oblivion gates should i start over or will they still appear?
  • edited February 2007
    Leedle wrote:
    i completed the main questline, but i cant find anymore oblivion gates should i start over or will they still appear?

I've heard that they all close after you complete the game. The only way to keep using them is to not complete the game.

I've heard that there is a computer mod called 'Hell revisited' or something like that that'll reopen all of the gates on command... but as far as the 360 version is concerned... I believe you simply have to not complete the game to keep entering the gates. I think this because I remember reading in the game guide that it told you to stock up on bloodgrass and other items that only come from the planes of oblivion so that you won't run out (if you happen to practice alchemy).

Hope that helps.
    ~ Kendaric
  • edited April 2007
    One tip I stumbled upon on my own involves recharging enchanted or magical weapons:

This DOES involve cheating, though I suppose it is theoretically possible to do it without, but not as effectively.
    If you carry three of the same item, (tested only on xbox360) equip one, use it in battle until it is depleted, then simply equip one of the other two you are carrying and it will always be fully charged.

Example: Go to the staff merchant in the Imperial City's Market District. I bought a WONDERFUL staff called 'Apotheosis' ... I went to my house and right in the middle of the room, used the 'duplication cheat' to make about 10 of that staff, and tucked 7 of em away in a chest. (just to be greedy and maybe sell em later who knows) I carry three with me at all times at a cost of 10 weight points per. So for 30 weight points I have a fully charged Apotheosis at all times. I do the same for a nice enchanted bow and blade. Set my 4 hot-buttons (up-down-left-right) to quickly access my blade, bow, staff, and a torch. I find myself prepared for pretty much every battle.

Sub hint: If you are unable to duplicate an item (like sufferthorn, a nice dagger given to you in the Dark Brotherhood quests) take it to a merchant, sell it to them then buy it back, then you can duplicate it all you want. You get ripped off on the cost but the benefits are worth it to me, and besides that you can duplicate it several times and sell it back to the merchant and make yer money back.

Those of you trying to NOT cheat might not enjoy that tid-bit of information. But I hope it helps someone.

Fight hard,
    -slid3r
  • edited April 2007
    slid3r wrote:
    One tip I stumbled upon on my own involves recharging enchanted or magical weapons:

This DOES involve cheating, though I suppose it is theoretically possible to do it without, but not as effectively.

Those of you trying to NOT cheat might not enjoy that tid-bit of information. But I hope it helps someone.

Fight hard,
    -slid3r

SPOILER CHEAT:

I had heard before you could do something similar to what you were saying, only that if you have 2 of the same weapon in your inventory, equip one to a hotkey, then every time you hit the hotkey, it'll switch the two weapons out, repairing the alternate. That's all ya gotta do.
  • edited April 2007
    Kendaric: if you have 2 of the same weapon in your inventory, equip one to a hotkey, then every time you hit the hotkey, it'll switch the two weapons out, repairing the alternate.

Wait, that can't be right, because if you hit the hot-key again ... it UN-equips the item. I did test it with carrying only two items, it did not work, had to be three.

-slid3r
  • edited April 2007
    I've never tried it myself, I only read about it somewhere.

I only use a couple of different weapons anyway.

I have a custom elemental bow that does 80 Fire/Frost/Shock damage and Paralyzes for 10 seconds.

And of course I use the Umbra.

I would use blunt weapons more (axes/maces) but they take up half the right side of the screen. =[

Anywho, if you have any questions, I might have the answer for ya. ;D

I still haven't beaten the game, but my main character has about 250+ hours on him and I think I've beaten almost every single quest except for the main story (which I'm near the end of).
  • edited April 2008
    SPOILER.

When you are about to met Harrow of the Mythic Dawn Cult drop your most powerful weapon and the armor of your choice. When he speaks with you he'll ask for all you belongings (minus all your quest items). After you speak with him and he tells you to follow him. Pick up what you droped. This will make you later escape a lot easier.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Very off-subject, but i liked how you guys used that "mouse over to reveal" trick. You'll have too show me how to do that.

Anyway... I dont have oblivion:sad2: but i have morrowind, the only game i have for xbox besides halo.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You just have to use the [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags in your post (without the spaces, of course).
  • edited August 2008
    well i think you should get the goldbrand sword. i find it better then umbra because even tough it does like 2 or 3 less damage it also does some pretty good fire damage that actually make it better :)also the bow of shadows is allot better because it makes you invisible so the enemy cannot find you to attack back.this is also a good way to get your sneak skill up :)
  • edited August 2008
    dude goldbrand is better than umbra and umbra is actually just a quest item. u need to give it to clavicus vile to complet the deadra quests and unlock the secret last one.
  • edited August 2008
    dude i do almost everything listed on here to get gold haha im at like 113000gold and ive never cheated once.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    dude!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    dude I forgot people still play this game.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    dude, seriously. What's up with that?
  • edited September 2008
    deicist wrote:
    Not really a spoiler this one, just a fun thing to do. The developers left in a 'testing hall' full of every item in the game and loads of different testing rooms. There's a room with one of every creature in the game fighting it out, one with every weapon in game etc... the hall isn't connected to the rest of the game map but you can get there by typing 'player.coc testinghall' from the console.
    what do u mean when u say tipe player.coc testinghall on ur console like an xbox 360 and if u can how:confused2?:confused2
  • Morpheus17Morpheus17 Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    Hey everyone, im new to this forum but im anything but new to Oblivion. Im currently playing as a lvl 24 Breton Spellsword. In an earlier post someone mentioned the book "Tamrielic Lore" and questioned just how many of those artifacts are actually acquirable in this game, so i figured i would clear up some of the uncertainties.

Spellbreaker is acquirable through completing Peryites quest which is started by visiting his shrine east of the Imperial Bridge Inn on the Silverfish River.

Ring of Khajitii is acquirable through completing Meridias quest available at her shrine northwest of Skingrad.

Cuirass of the Saviours Hide is earned by completing Hircines quest available from his shrine southeast of the Imperial City

Masque of Clavicus Vile is earned by completing the Quest for Clavicus Vile from his shrine in exchange for returning another artifact (Umbra) to him.

Im not near my PS3 so i cant double check on the other ones but i am positive i have more info on some of the other artifacts so i will add info on them at a later time.
  • Morpheus17Morpheus17 Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    Oh ya i almost forgot about Goldbrand. This one is from Boethia at his shrine and does 22 points of fire damage in addition to the basic attack damage of the sword itself.
  • karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
    edited March 2009
    deicist wrote:
    Yes there is. I found one master piece of alchemy kit (think it was the alembic) during the Mages guild quests so I'm assuming there's matching mortar & pestle etc.. too.

There is, i have found the mortar and pestle along with the calcinator, hope that helps :bigggrin:
    edited March 2009
    Morpheus17 wrote:
    Oh ya i almost forgot about Goldbrand. This one is from Boethia at his shrine and does 22 points of fire damage in addition to the basic attack damage of the sword itself.

My Mage character is level 49, he has maxed Intelligence, Willpower, Agility and soon to be Speed. The six magics are his major skills, along with marksman, he is a master in them all as well as being a master of alchemy, sneak and light armour. He is a level 49 Altmer whose magicka maxs out at 1104 with all his enchanted clothes and magicka boosting spells in effect. He can cast a spell that does 1900 points damage, (100 pts for 19 secs) and if I fire a shot from my specially enchanted bow that causes 100% weakness to fire this damage can as much as double, so my character can now one hit kill any monster in the game at the hardest difficulty without even engaging in a fight. :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
    edited March 2009
    Djinon wrote:
    Is there a way to raise the roof to your leveling? I'm a 360 user by the way and I'm looking for an already in-game solution to this, no modding. Also, Are the counters there for your skills just to signal getting to apprentice/journeyman/expert/master or do they actually make you better at that act? I can only notice a difference with agility and I may have just not noticed that it came with getting one of those ranks.

Yea there is one way, if your have a certain skill, like hand-to-hand, alteration, blade, block or blunt, and you sleep of your time in jail you will be brought down on some skill levels, allowing you to then re-level them creating an infinite level you can reach... i stumbled acroos this by accident and had the 6 magics along with marksman as my main skill, luckily one magic is affected so i can now push my character, technically, to 3 digit levels
    :bigggrin: hope i have helped, i know its very late :crazy:
    edited March 2009
    Im hoping to revive this thread to talk about super characters, has anyone out there got an unbeatable or highly specialized character??
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    I haven't played Oblivion for a long time. But my super character was a rather simple concept. Get to at least level 20 the start closing gates to get the Gem (at level 20+ you get the best pone possible). Save just before you get the Gem and keep reloading that part until you get the +20% Chameleon Gem. You need to collect 5 of them in total. Then just put one on each of 5 different pieces of armour. That gives you 100% chameleon. Which effectively makes you 100% invisible - predator style.

At that point no one will ever really detect you and you can easily take out anything, steal anything. Basically do anything you want. You can make yourself even more ridiculous by adding a life drinking daedric or glass weapon, but really at that point it's just about how quickly you end a fight. You can play the game and win with a starting dagger almost as easily.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Well, I'm going to start a new game later today. I think I'll go for a warrior type. I'm still pretty new to this game so we'll see what happens.
    edited March 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    I haven't played Oblivion for a long time. But my super character was a rather simple concept. Get to at least level 20 the start closing gates to get the Gem (at level 20+ you get the best pone possible). Save just before you get the Gem and keep reloading that part until you get the +20% Chameleon Gem. You need to collect 5 of them in total. Then just put one on each of 5 different pieces of armour. That gives you 100% chameleon. Which effectively makes you 100% invisible - predator style.

At that point no one will ever really detect you and you can easily take out anything, steal anything. Basically do anything you want. You can make yourself even more ridiculous by adding a life drinking daedric or glass weapon, but really at that point it's just about how quickly you end a fight. You can play the game and win with a starting dagger almost as easily.

Yea i remeber that, i did it with ordinary grand soul gems though so i needed to use like 8 items, not as efficient, you'd never guess what happened though that strongly put me off using this tactic, warning possible spoiler...

On the last mages guild quest where you have to kill the king of the worms, to gain entry to the cave you must kill the necromancer guarding the cave, you need his key to enter. So i attacked him whilst completely invisible with mt "chameloen suit" and he just ran away, i couldn't kill him in time to stop his escape so he's still roaming this world somewhere but until i find him i'll never be the arch mage, i hope this helps you all avoid my mistake :bigggrin::bigggrin:
    edited March 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Well, I'm going to start a new game later today. I think I'll go for a warrior type. I'm still pretty new to this game so we'll see what happens.

A warrior type is fun, but can become slightly repetitive i've found, you should mix it up with some magic, or range, maybe even thievery, should keep things fresh and interesting :bigggrin: