Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Gaming
Notice:
I've split the discussion from the Oblivion Tips and Trick thread off into this thread. Feel free to continue posting tips in the other thread, but let's keep the discussion in here, please. -Cyclonite

Neat, thanks for the links and the tip, deicist. I had no idea what I could use the sigil stone for.

I'm a little disappointed by the Daedric items in Oblivion - the maces, which would probably have been worth several thousand septims in Morrowind are only worth 40 in Oblivion... I'm still having fun with the game, though, my character just isn't rich yet. ;)

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the tip deicist.. I got the first stone, but I wasn't sure what to do with it :D

This game is a blast.. I can't get enough of it!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    omg I hope target has this when I get off work tonight I want it NOW!
    edited March 2006
    I've got my character on level 4 now, this game is too awesome. I've deviated a bit from the main quest and I'm doing to side quests now. Just found another oblivion gate.. going in! :D
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    I've got my character on level 4 now, this game is too awesome. I've deviated a bit from the main quest and I'm doing to side quests now. Just found another oblivion gate.. going in! :D

I'm pretty much staying away from the main quest for a while, did a couple of oblivion gates but at the moment I'm having too much fun wandering about the place. Got myself a full suit of Dwarven armor, a dwarven longsword & bow, a Manor of my own (in Anvil, lovely place) and 4k after doing 2 of the big side quests. Each of those side quest 'stories' took me a good couple of hours to get through, this game is huge :D
    edited March 2006
    deicist wrote:
    I'm pretty much staying away from the main quest for a while, did a couple of oblivion gates but at the moment I'm having too much fun wandering about the place. Got myself a full suit of Dwarven armor, a dwarven longsword & bow, a Manor of my own (in Anvil, lovely place) and 4k after doing 2 of the big side quests. Each of those side quest 'stories' took me a good couple of hours to get through, this game is huge :D

I know what you mean, deicist.. this game is massive. I had a hell of a time trying to retrieve the fourth mythic dawn book during that meeting. Thats when I decided to start wandering off.. I'm worried things will start getting really hard once I start leveling up more too.. :)
    edited March 2006
    Well you could always just not level up :) Your skills (blade, heavy armor etc..) still increase even if you don't level up, but there's several disadvantages: Your base stats won't improve and the items you find will always be fairly low level. I've been a level 8 for a while now, if I chose to level up I'd be a level 12 or so judging from my skills...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I did that too - I stopped sleeping in game because I turned into a vampire when I did. Once I got cured by a temple, I then went to sleep four times and leveled up four times. So far I'm at Level 9, and the only difficult enemies I've had to face were trolls and mountain lions. I've been able to kill anything else that attacked me, but I had to run away from those baddies.

The worst enemy I've faced was a mountain lion that was invisible. I could only get in about two hits before I was dead. The worst part was, it was guarding the door to a quest location! I finally managed to sneak around it from another angle, which was very difficult because I never had any idea where it was until I was attacked...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    This game rocks!

I had to get rid of the Dwarven Plate though...It just looked to loud for my tastes and its SO HEAVY! I was able to loot an entire set of steel plate and a helmet of power as well as some nice gauntlets...so now I rock. I made lvl 9 lastnight and althought I have murdured 2 people (MERCY! YOU WANT MERCY! I'M CHAOTIC NUTRAL!) and have been visited by the dark brotherhood...I managed to get myself in the blades.

Now I am just wondering around basically. I am entering every single temple/dungeon/oblivion gate I come across and just discovering the game world basically.

I will be joining the dark brotherhood around level 15 though. I think I could play a vamp well as long as I kill alot =)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Is this game as open as Morrowind?
    edited March 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Is this game as open as Morrowind?

I'd say yes. Despite a lot of the hardcore Elder Scrolls fans whining about the console aspects of the game, the world is at least as massive and open as Morrowind. You're never forced down one path, and some quests even have multiple ways to complete them.

For example:
    at one point I was ambling along a road on my horsey and came across a little campsite. The people there explained to me that they had been setting up a new settlement when a goblin war had kicked off. The war had started because one tribe had stolen the others 'totem pole' (basically a stick with a head on the end). When I agreed to help I found out there were two ways to stop the war: I could get the totem pole back, and return it to it's rightful owners. Or I could wipe out one of the tribes by killing it's shaman. I did both. After stealing the totem pole I found out it was worth 7000+ gold so I didn't want to give it back. After killing the shaman I got to keep the pole :D
    edited March 2006
    I'd agree with deicist in saying it's as open as Morrowind. The quests are a little easier in this, because there's a compass with an arrow pointing directly toward your next quest objective, but you can either ignore it if you wish, select a different active quest (and have an incorrect arrow), or install a user mod to remove it altogether.

Also, the main console complaint is the UI for inventory, spells, and character sheet. There's another user mod, listed on the last page of the article that deicist linked, that makes the UI more PC-centric. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't attest to its quality myself.

So far, here's the strangest thing that's happened to me in game:
    I was in Cheydinhal, on the quest to remove the corrupt captain of the guard. One of the stages is to try to get the man who's been kicked out of his house as a witness. I found him sleeping the day away on a bedroll off in the corner of town. When I woke him, he insisted on confronting the guard who was blocking his house door. During this exchange, the game switched to cinematic mode, where you can't move or fight.
    Meanwhile, Audens Avidius, from a prior quest, had broken out of jail and was coming to attack me. Suddenly, in the middle of the confrontation, the guard left the door of the house and killed Audens Avidius. When he returned, the dialog did not resume and the game remained stuck in cinematic mode. I had to reload from a save and make sure Audens attacked me before the conversation.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Holy crap. I need to put some mroe effort into this game. I got caught up in all the sidequests in the beginning, died a couple times, and got frustrated.

I will be playing this tonight!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Let me know now... just bought the game. I swear if this game is mostly dungeons I am not gonna continue playing it. I hate dungeons and they LITERALLY make me sick. Like seriously I can only play 30 minutes max in a dungeon without the need to leave for a couple hours becuase I get nautious.

I amhoping it'll be all outdoors after this beginning stage.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Most of it is dungeon-crawling.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I'd say its about 65% dungeon and 35% outside. You don't really spend a whole lot of time *in* dungeons though unless you just like running around killing stuff and hoarding loot like me. I HAVE to go in every dungeon/cave to see what new and interesting things I can find.

Most dungeon crawls can be fairly quick in this game. Just go in, do what you need to do and get the hell out.
    edited April 2006
    It opens up after the first little part, no worries. I think they did the uber-linear thing just to help you learn the controls and not be overwhelmed anymore than you already are.

By the way, I closed my first Oblivion gate yesterday. Any pointers for making a bit of money, so I can get some training? Well, any pointers in general at this juncture? Thanks! =)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Oblivion SO reminds me of an old 8-bit game from my youth: Alternate Reality.

The promise of Alternate Reality (that was to be released in episodic installments) has finally, after 20 years of waiting, come to fruition in this game.

* goes to play it
    edited April 2006
    There's another question I have. Should I be sticking with light armor or heavy armor? What dictates the type of armor I should use?
    edited April 2006
    Your skills. If you have heavy armor as a major skill, use that. If you have light armor use that. If you have both then it gets interesting. Heavy armor stops more damage, but weighs more so you can't carry as much stuff. With light armor you can move quicker and carry more but you'll take more damage. Also heavy armor makes more noise so sneaking is harder. I tend to play with heavy armor because I play more of a bruiser style: Wading in and trusting my armor, strength and health to keep me standing. If you prefer to sneak around and snipe at people then light armor or even unarmored is the way to go :) And if you like wearing dresses of course then a wizards robe will probably be more your style :D
    edited April 2006
    Thanks. I'll be hopefully getting in a good session of play tonight. I'm excited! Six can't come fast enough!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have to say that the Dark Brotherhood Quests have been some of my favorites of the entire game...
    edited April 2006
    It is handy. I can't wait to hit the Armorer level that allows me to repair magical items.
  • edited April 2006
    i am absolutly lovin this game by the way anyone got ay good tips for getting 5 grand soul gems for the vamperism quest coz.... :bawling: im stuck
    edited April 2006
    Anyone know if you can sell your house in the game? I bought that shack by the waterfront and would like to upgrade :D
  • edited April 2006
    i must agree with crazy joe the dark brotherhodd questas are my faves apart from the kill the vamps in the dungeion ques 1-2 hits with a dai-avakari katanta does the trick espessaly when its got a decent sigil stone on it:aol:
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Anyone know if you can sell your house in the game? I bought that shack by the waterfront and would like to upgrade :D

I don't believe that you can...
    edited April 2006
    I don't believe that you can...

Oh well, always wanted a waterfront slum cottage! :D
    edited April 2006
    You can always buy other houses though, you're not limited to one.
    edited April 2006
    I'm a little disappointed that they're going to be charging for the smaller pieces of added content - they've never done that in the past (the Morrowind plugins were free). Between l33t wife and I, we've already spent $112 on Oblivion, $2 more per plugin is pushing things at this stage for me.