Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I hate lock picking. As soon as I get the timing right my level increases then its all off again.

I can't seem to do it visually or by going off the sounds the lock makes. I know the mechanics, I know what I'm supposed to do, I just can't do it. Before hitting 25 security I had over 50 lockpicks saved up. currently level 9 with about 26 security, 33 with a pair of gauntlets and 77 agility with the right equipment so I really have no excuse.

It's the only thing spoiling the game for me other than the whole character leveling system. Whats the point in me leveling if it just makes everything else tougher too?
  • edited May 2006
    the point of leveling up is for new weapons and armor, i dont know about you but i would much rather be wearing some nice magic light armor while carrying Umbra and the Staff of Worms then fighting off goblins with a silver mace.
  • edited May 2006
    the point of leveling up is for new weapons and armor, i dont know about you but i would much rather be wearing some nice magic light armor while carrying Umbra and the Staff of Worms then fighting off goblins with a silver mace.

That's the only noticable change. I'm stronger, but so are they. Gameplay has stayed pretty much constant since about level 5. Fixing stuff to 125% is nice though! Guess thats the only thing giving me any kind of edge.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    That's the only noticable change. I'm stronger, but so are they. Gameplay has stayed pretty much constant since about level 5. Fixing stuff to 125% is nice though! Guess thats the only thing giving me any kind of edge.

Well surely the point of fixing swords is to give them an edge? :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    :rolleyes: He'll be here all weekend, folks!

Ba-dum-CRASH
    edited May 2006
    Thank you, try the veal, don't forget to tip your waitress :D
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    I hate lock picking. As soon as I get the timing right my level increases then its all off again.

I can't seem to do it visually or by going off the sounds the lock makes. I know the mechanics, I know what I'm supposed to do, I just can't do it. Before hitting 25 security I had over 50 lockpicks saved up. currently level 9 with about 26 security, 33 with a pair of gauntlets and 77 agility with the right equipment so I really have no excuse.

It's the only thing spoiling the game for me other than the whole character leveling system. Whats the point in me leveling if it just makes everything else tougher too?

I agree on the picking. I'm going insane on it, I can never get it right. I agree on the leveling too. I kinda liked the way WoW did it but I guess given that this is a SP game that would greatly limit the replayability of it if the creatures level capped.
  • edited May 2006
    haha im a master at lock picking. the trick is to wait until the lock comes out of its place really fast, usually the next time you try to pick it the lock will stay up longer giving you more time to press A.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It makes a different sound if it's gonna stick. Instead of "plink... plink... plink..." it goes "pla-DINK......"

When I hear the pla-DINK, I click. I almost never fail now.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    dat mavis wrote:
    haha im a master at lock picking. the trick is to wait until the lock comes out of its place really fast, usually the next time you try to pick it the lock will stay up longer giving you more time to press A.

That's how I do it too. Seems to work well.
    edited May 2006
    Get the skeleton key, never worry about picking a lock again.
  • edited May 2006
    It's gonna depend highly on your class type too. If you are playing a class where agility is important you will have more time before the pins start to drop.

There isnt going to be a method that works the same way for everybody.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Click as soon as it makes the sound the prime described works for everyone who I know of who's tried it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Click as soon as it makes the sound the prime described works for everyone who I know of who's tried it.

HA!! I know exactly what sound you are talking about and I still get it wrong when I try that. I must just suck...

/wishes he could just use his hammer.
    edited May 2006
    Every time I had a beer while playing the game, I was able to click with the right timing in the lockpick game. Normally, I break a few picks, even with the sound. I think I was just too twitchy. Now I've got the skeleton key, though, so it doesn't matter.

In TES:2 (Daggerfall) there was an option to simply bash the lock open with your weapon. I think the devs decided it was too easy, so they changed it when Morrowind came around, and carried it through to Oblivion.
  • edited May 2006
    It would have been nice to be able to do that, taking the time to pick the lock properly without breaking anything could have led to much less suspicion.

I'm quite dissapointed that a lot of my thefts and murders which I worked so hard to keep secret are known by pretty much everyone. Every single city guard hates my guys and my infamy score has gone through the roof.

Makes sneaking into a city in the dead of night and mostly invisible a complete waste of time. May as well carry out all of my contracts in the street and pay off Armande when it gets messy.
  • edited May 2006
    The two most annoying things in this game used to be the fact that i couldnt repair magic items and that i rarely could recharge. Now that problem is solved because i finally got my repair skill above 50 and i found Azura's star. For those of you who dont know Azura's star is a daedric soul gem that allows you to contstantly refill it as long as it is empty. This allows me to always have my Shocking Mace (ebony mace enchanted with a + 15 shock damage effect from a sigil stone(it kicks ass)) full of magic. i just attack my enemy with umbra first and get the soul trap effect goin, then i switch to my mace and in 3-4 hits i have another soul to use.
  • edited June 2006
    As far as lock picking I found a very very good strategy to use on accident. I wasn't going to kick the female off the TV when I wanted to play, no need to, so I did the split-screen and started playing. The sound is still only what she's watching, so I was playing deaf, which doesn't always matter. I didn't think about the fact that the next thing on my list was going to include lockpicking. I figued out though, while looking at the screen, that, at my low level (18), the pins never stay up for a long time 2 or more times in a row. I didn't have to hear anything. I just kept going up until it stayed for the long time and then pressed A after sending it up the next time. It works like magic. It worked so well (9 chest/doors with one broken pick) that I do it even with the sound. Give that a try.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I've been doing it using the fast reaction method. When it is going to stay up slightly longer (and thus stay if you click) it goes up slightly slower. If you've got fast enough reations you can click as it reaches the top on one of the slow raises.
  • edited June 2006
    Question: How do you get rid of your bounty? Fencing my stolen stuff to the fence I bought in Dunburrow Cove didn't work, the guards all still read me my rights when I try to talk to them (but say good day when I walk passed them...). I figured it must be the gold I've stolen but there's really no way to fix that problem unless I buy all I want and give the rest away. I still don't think that would fix the problem anyway. I'm in the fighter's guils and I don't want to go to jail so how do you get rid of the bounty? Do I have to join the thieve's guild and talk to someone?
    edited June 2006
    Djinon wrote:
    Question: How do you get rid of your bounty? Fencing my stolen stuff to the fence I bought in Dunburrow Cove didn't work, the guards all still read me my rights when I try to talk to them (but say good day when I walk passed them...). I figured it must be the gold I've stolen but there's really no way to fix that problem unless I buy all I want and give the rest away. I still don't think that would fix the problem anyway. I'm in the fighter's guils and I don't want to go to jail so how do you get rid of the bounty? Do I have to join the thieve's guild and talk to someone?

Your guild doyen can help you with that - he gets rid of your bounty for half price. If you're early in the thieves' guild quests, it's the guy in Imperial City who let you in the guild. I forget his name righ tnow.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Talk to your handler (whoever that may be at the time, although most other members of the Thieves guild seem to be able to do it too) and there should be a conversation choice "Pay off your fines and bounty". Nothing to do with fencing. But yeah, you have to either pay the guards or pay the thieves guild.
  • edited June 2006
    K, I'm not in the thieve's guild, but I'm guessing from what you guys are saying is that the thieve's guild is the only way out of the bounty. That right? My bounty is at 3, by the way, if that matters.
    edited June 2006
    Djinon wrote:
    K, I'm not in the thieve's guild, but I'm guessing from what you guys are saying is that the thieve's guild is the only way out of the bounty. That right? My bounty is at 3, by the way, if that matters.

Well, you can also pay the fine. If it's only 3, that's no big deal. They do strip you of all stolen goods when you turn yourself in, though.

Another option, if your fame is pretty high and the guards have a favorable disposition toward you, is that sometimes a guard will simply "take care of that fine for you" if you run into one in the street. That happened to me when I accidentally hit a guard when we were fighting someone (if you accidentally hit an ally after the enemy dies, the game counts it as an assault).
  • edited June 2006
    The reason why I didn't want to pay the fine to the guards is I thought I'd get kicked out of the fighter's guild and I'm not finished with them yet. I already joined the thieve's guild but would I have gotten kicked out?
  • edited June 2006
    If you've joined the Theives Guild you have 2 options. Pay 3 gold to the nearest guard or pay 2 gold to Armande Christophe. He hangs out in the waterfront after 23:45ish
  • edited June 2006
    Did all that, paid one gold.

Still, I want to know if I would have gotten kicked out of the fighter's guild if I paid a bounty to a guard. Anyone?
    edited June 2006
    You don't get kicked out for the first offense. It takes a few law breaks before they kick you out.
    edited June 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    You don't get kicked out for the first offense. It takes a few law breaks before they kick you out.

And if they were to kick you out they do it when you commit the crime, not when you pay the fine.
  • edited July 2006
    Do they kick you out if your not caught doing the crime?