Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    I finished the main quest at about level 14. I wish I didn't finish it right away. I think I'm going to start a new character now, now that I know more about how things work :)
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I finished the main quest at lvl 24 and have just been wandering around doing errant quests since then. I think I offed the entire population of Hackdirt when I was like lvl 5 or something. They didn't like me...so I killed em. That seems to be what happens to lots of NPC's ingame. If they dont like me...I just kill'em!
  • edited April 2006
    hey
    anyone knows where to find alot of dragons mouth and redworth flowers? got expelled from mages guild and that dork erthor is always on my tail :banghead:

so...to shut an oblivion gate i must find a stone in there or something?

anyone got tips about the stolen painting in the castle of chorol? duno what to do :grumble:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, not loving the idea of enemies that scale with your level, that tends to make the world feel more generic rather than true.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Hmm, not loving the idea of enemies that scale with your level, that tends to make the world feel more generic rather than true.

Most of the complaints about Oblivion tend to stem from this. There's mods that aim to sort this out by rebalancing everything in the game (Obscuro's Oblivion for example) but it doesn't really bother me so I've not tried any of them out.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I agree with you, Enverex... For certain things... For example, I'm level 31 and I'm currently on the quest to purge the Necromancers and Mannimarco from the face of Tamriel... I'm blasting my way through caves full of high level spellcasters and facing powerful Daedra and undead beasts.... I'm rescuing ancient artifacts from the evil clutches of corrupted guild leaders... I'm preventing the return of a creature hell bent on causing mass chaos and destruction to the world....

and then I get killed by a brown bear on my way home.... :hrm:
    edited May 2006
    Prime: IF you're playing a magic using character I highly recommend the 'mighty magick' mod. It ups the damage / time on most spells, ups your Magicka and generally makes magic the potent force it should be. There's also a nifty 'upgrade' path so you can add the mod to a current game without restarting.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Rather than a simple mod to increase the power of the player, what I'd like to see is a mod that evens out the difficulty between fighting creatures and fighting people. Fighting bears, trolls, mountain lions, and ogres has been 10 times as difficult as fighting the bandits, Mythic Dawn, and Dremora. It just doesn't make sense that it is harder to kill an animal than a person wearing powerful armor and wielding a powerful sword. The animals do more damage than the people!
    edited May 2006
    I am terrified of Mountain Lions... They almost always kill me right away. Even at level 31.
    edited May 2006
    I am terrified of Mountain Lions... They almost always kill me right away. Even at level 31.

Heh, catch 22. You can't kill the lions so you level up but they scale with your level so you still can't kill them so you level up but they scale with your level so they still kill you... etc etc :p
    edited May 2006
    hmm, never had a problem with Lions (or tigers) or bears (oh my!). Maybe it's because I went for a straight out warrior character and you're playing a magical character? at level 20 my warrior has 100 strength & 100 blade. 2 hits kills any animal in game and their retaliation barely moves my health meter down. I suspect as I level up it's going to change though, as my strength won't go up (I'm already maxed) but theirs will.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    deicist wrote:
    hmm, never had a problem with Lions (or tigers) or bears (oh my!).

lol.
    edited May 2006
    I love the Elder Scrolls style of skills and leveling because I'm someone that can never decide on anything, so I end up using every skill and every style which TES lets me do perfectly. Probably the only RPG skill/leveling style I've ever been truely happy with.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I love the Elder Scrolls style of skills and leveling because I'm someone that can never decide on anything, so I end up using every skill and every style which TES lets me do perfectly. Probably the only RPG skill/leveling style I've ever been truely happy with.

I definitely agree with you there. And with the multipliers applying to the skills that you use based on the frequency that you use them, it makes a lot more sense than, for instance, the D&D style of leveling up.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Notice:
    I've split the discussion from the Oblivion Tips and Trick thread off into this thread. Feel free to continue posting tips in the other thread, but let's keep the discussion in here, please. -Cyclonite

I've also posted this at the top of the first post in this thread. Some posts may not seem to flow correctly. If they don't, take a look at the Oblivion Tips and Tricks thread. Thanks everyone! :)
  • edited May 2006
    I'd suggets Sagerbliv's creature balancing mod for anyone who wants to fix the scaling...

Just got avg 55 FPS in Oblivion outside, everything maxed + HDR =D
    edited May 2006
    I think the only other thing that niggles me about this game is the inventory, it's harder to see everything you have when you carry a crapload of stuff around like I do. Oh, and not being able to sell "stolen" goods. How the hell does anyone know is this hourglass or potato is stolen? Kinda takes a chunk out of the point of breaking in to places.
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I think the only other thing that niggles me about this game is the inventory, it's harder to see everything you have when you carry a crapload of stuff around like I do.

BT mod is the answer to your inventory woes. The default settings of the mod are pretty good (larger inventory screens, larger map screens, better HUD etc..) but anything you don't like can be edited in XML.
    Enverex wrote:
    Oh, and not being able to sell "stolen" goods. How the hell does anyone know is this hourglass or potato is stolen? Kinda takes a chunk out of the point of breaking in to places.

There's definitely a mod that removes the 'stolen' tag from things, I saw it a few weeks after the game came out but I can't find it now.
    edited May 2006
    Ok, the game is just starting to flat out annoy me now. Trying to do the Slaughterfish quest and I can't even kill ONE fish at level 10. I mean these things weren't a problem at level 3 in Morrowind. Not to mention the Imp's now seem to take a lot longer to kill than 8 levels ago. I think this is all down to the relative level crap. Lame move, really was.
  • edited May 2006
    one of my major skills is mercantile. how do i raise it quickly cause its only a 37 and im level 16
    edited May 2006
    dat mavis wrote:
    one of my major skills is mercantile. how do i raise it quickly cause its only a 37 and im level 16

Either by training (find a Mercentile trainer) or by haggling and selling items.
  • edited May 2006
    Hello,

I've been playing Oblivion for some time now, my char is at level 9 and something strange happened...
    I was journeyman at alchemy and could recognise 3 properties of ingredients, but suddenly I noticed I can only recognise 2, somehow my alchemy is now at novice (40). I compared my current skills to a level 5 savefile and a lot of other skills lowered too, eg. athletics was 16 at lvl 5 and now is 13. I also think I had more than just 40 intelligence, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, none of the stats or skills are red like if they were normally drained, and there are no bad permanent effects listed in the char profile.
    Any ideas what might have happened? I tried praying at an altar of the Nine; it said my afflictions are banished, but didn't help.
    edited May 2006
    Are you sure you weren't previously a vampire or something which bumped your stats and now you're back to normal so everything's gone back down?
  • edited May 2006
    Pretty sure, the statistics in my profile say 0 days as a vampire, I don't think I ever met one (if it is possible at such low levels). No time spent in jail either.

In fact, here's the savefile if anyone cares to check, I have the beta patch applied, I think it won't work if you don't: http://duke.homelinux.org/DrainedSkills.ess
    edited May 2006
    Anything is possible at any level. I've spent the last two days (when I could actually use my machine) trying to cure the Vampirism, it's a nightmare believe me and attempting to get the components to cure it at such a low level (7 when I started trying to cure it) is damn near impossible).
    edited May 2006
    The cure for vampirism is a real pain in the ass. The EASIEST part was defeating the "incredibly powerful" vampire.
    edited May 2006
    I have trouble against a single normal Vampire, so I'm dreading the powerful one no matter how crap he is. Also having severe issues like being stuck in thw Witch's house at daytime, but can't sleep or even just wait because I'm "tresspassing" and can't stay outside for more than like 2 seconds else I die. Eventually managed to make some healing potions, run out the house, cast heal twice as I'm running (that's all I can cast my 25pt healing spell, twice =/ ) make sure I drank the potion, jump off the cliff into the river, drink another health potion and keep doing that till I run out and keep casting healing whenever I can and then swim down thw river till I reach the cave and then go inside to "wait".

Yeah :/
  • edited May 2006
    quite a while ago i became the grand champion of the arena. as soon as i left there was this kid who ran up and asked if he could follow me. i said no. but today as i was playing i ran into this kid again and was wondering what his purpose in the game is?
    edited May 2006
    Whenever you rise to the top of one of the "guild missions", you get followers. Their purpose? Use them as zombie fodder! ;D

Let them follow you around and take damage for you. Consider them a summoned humanoid for game purposes.
  • edited May 2006
    Today as i was wandering about i came across this statue and next to it were five people who were standing still. i talked to the statue and it said it wanted me to go into oblivion to rescue the souls of his followers. after i did this the statue gave me this kick ass shield. as soon as i obtained the shield a quest screen came up and said i should go give the shield to martin cause he needs daedra items. im assuming this is the main quest but the thing is i wasnt that far in the main quest, i still need to find this cave. my question is can i skip ahead in the main quest or do i still need to do other stuff before i should bring him the shield?