Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I just purchased my new parts last week. Friday I was able to do the grand assemble.
    The List:<O:p</O:p
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless addition. Bios 0906<O:p</O:p
    The 65watt addition of the X2 AMD Windsor 4200<ST1:p</O:p
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB non over clocked version.<O:p</O:p
    2 1gig sticks of Kingston Value Ram 667 MHz<O:p</O:p
    Antec P180 silver case<O:p</O:p
    Antec True Power series 650 watt power supply<O:p</O:p
    WD 350gig SATA drive.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Friday evening after SP2 for Windows XP 32bit addition was installed I started to get Stop errors at random. Some times I could finish a patch or download sometimes just simply starting IE or Windows explorer caused it to crash. I did my net research and installed a couple patches recommended by MS and even did another complete reinstall of XP. Nothing helped. I found this and a couple other threads and did as suggested. I moved the ram and even tried to do the timing but did not work. What I eventually did was go back to the basic and disable mother board features since I really had no hardware I could disable. I turned off on board sound; and the AMD features of Cool and Quiet plus AMD live. This left me with a stable system for 5 days now. I have since turned the sound back on and the AMD cool and quiet feature as well but left the AMD live turned off. I will give it another week before I turn that on. It seems to me that AMD Live is hardware that XP needs drivers for and its hardware designed to communicate with the system as a whole and even through the net. Anyone else notice problems with AMD Live? This Feature is found under CPU Configuration.<O:p</O:p
  • FinkusFinkus Montana
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys... maybe you can help me out.

Built a M2N32-SLI (deluxe/wireless if that helps any) based system in August. It installed fine, went in and manually set the mem timings and voltage (didnt mess with the skew). It had some BSOD problems after my sister took it to college. Windows updates and a chkdsk apparently took care of that. Now about 2 weeks ago it wont boot up. It would just give the long-short-short beep combo.

It was shut off then and completely unplugged, I finally got time to check it out 2 days ago, when we plugged it in and fired it up we got the 'Bad Bios Checksum' error on the screen, but the driver disc with the BIOS wasnt in the drive so it didnt reload it. Restarted it with the CD in, and then got the long-short-short beep codes. Jumper cleared the CMOS, still not able to get it to boot to load a BIOS.

Tried moving the RAM to the A2/B2 slots, no luck. Tried all combos of 1 stick and different slots and nothing. I dont have another DDR2 computer to check the memory in.

Any suggestions?

System specs:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe (wireless)
    AMD 3000+ (Single core)
    Patriot 2x1GB DDR2 @ 6400 4-4-4-12 Timing (PDC22G6400LLK)
    XFX 7900gt
    SATA2 320gig WD HD on SATA1 connector
    IDE CD/DVD
    550 watt Fortron PSU
  • edited March 2007
    Finkus wrote:
    Hey guys... maybe you can help me out.

Built a M2N32-SLI (deluxe/wireless if that helps any) based system in August....... Jumper cleared the CMOS, still not able to get it to boot to load a BIOS.

Any suggestions?

I found that the CMOS reset took far longer than the ASUS manual suggests. Try moving the jumper and pulling the battery for at least an hour.
  • FinkusFinkus Montana
    edited March 2007
    Thanks Seth. That seemed to work.

I also got some slower DDR2 sticks from a friend and the computer booted just fine. Set the skew,voltage and timings to what original ram was rated for, saved the bios, shut it down switched the ram out and rebooted... Then i get the 'Bios Checksum Error' again. Put in the install disc so it would reload and Asus' AWDFLASH screwed up the BIOS write...

ARGH!

So now I have a brick while I wait for new RAM thats on their QVL list, and its corsair, so it should work (with a $50 rebate, whoo!).

At least I can try pulling the battery... Read somewhere that on this board if you pull the battery for a long time it will sometimes freak the bios out enough that it will ask to load another. Hopefully that works, or its time to get the BIOS chip reflashed.
  • edited April 2007
    WOW!! Lots of info on this topic!

I built a -32 setup with a 3800+ DC and it worked great. NO stability issues, and I use 3 gigs of CHEAP ram. A mix and match of HD's from maxtor, WD, seagate, etc...and no issues what so ever...BIOS was 0706. PS is a Antec Earth Power 500 watter.

Then, like a goof I replace the cpu with a 5000+. Thats when it all went down hill. BSOD's, freezing..even the bios setup pages took for ever to load...and sometimes I dont even get the full bios screen to show up.

But nowhere have I searched, says anything about AMD making bad 5000+ cpu's. So I got a new bios chip as trying to update the old one toasted it...and now IM running 0903, but it still freezes and such.

SPECS:
    M2N32-SLi Deluxe
    5000+ (freezes, bsod's) / 3800+ (just fine, purs like kitten)
    3 gigs of cheapo arsed ram, 2 1 gigs and 2 512's (never had an issue with them)
    E-mu audio card, internal sound deactivated.
    120 gig Seagate for os
    7300 GT video
    500watt antec earth power

What should I do? I cant rma the mobo as Im running liquid cooling and tossed the plasic part that holds the fan...duhhhhhhhh

ram timing seems only to be for OCZ, I bet my new cpu is fine. I bet the PS is okay too, everything was working, I just wanted a little more juice.
  • edited April 2007
    Weekly update:

I think I've finally solved my issues with BSODs - I was really surprised I found that both my WD3200KS had NCQ switched to ON (by default), although in KS family, NCQ is supported only in 400GB and larger HDDs. I turned it off, and since then no 0X77 KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR BSODs occured. :) If you have any questions, I can be found somewhere in Chernobyl ZONE. :D Long live S.t.a.l.k.e.r

Hope this helps...

W.
  • edited April 2007
    I am also having a lot of problems with the M2N32 Deluxe. I however cannot install get Vista to install. I tried installing x64 tonight and the result was basically every dialog screen in the installation would not appear until I ejected the DVD and even then the installation halts totally at the part where it detects drivers. I'm totally at a loss as to what could be causing this, tried different revisions of the BIOS and everything mentioned in this thread, still no joy :(
  • edited May 2007
    Just a short update for me...

Well, after getting my Patriot Extreme memory warranty replaced yesterday, the computer is up a running very strong... Updated to v.1001 Bios and everything seems (crossing fingers) flawless so far. Only time will tell, but at least everything is solid once again.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 (4-4-4-12, 2.2v) Low Latency DIMM Kit
    EVGA GeForce 7900 GT KO 256MB PCIe w/Dual DVI
    2x Seagate 320GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
    2x LiteOn 16X DVD Burner with Lightscribe
    OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
    Windows XP Home Edition
  • edited May 2007
    Well this has little to do with the stability problems most people have had but a wireless issue that I've had recently.

My spec:
    M2N32-SLI Deluxe (obviously)
    amd 4600+ am2 dual core
    Geforce 7600 GS silent
    2gb Ram kingston 667mhz
    320gb hdd

I mainly use it for gaming, and with FPS I would get lag spikes quite frequently, every other type of game was fine. I removed everything, the wireless software the nforce drivers, changed the antenna and router. Still got the same problem, until I disabled windows wireless zero config in services.

It worked fine after that. I apologize if this has already been resolved somewhere else in this thread or somewhere else on the forum, I haven't looked that thoroughly into it.
  • zweirecordszweirecords Member
    edited May 2007
    Hey, station-drivers dot com has an updated M2N32-SLI deluxe bios (v1004). I tried to flash my board with it and then I couldn't load into Windows. Reflashed v1001 and everything was back to normal. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it than I did.
  • B3ler3fonteB3ler3fonte Lancaster, U.K. - Greece, Thessaloniki
    edited June 2007
    Hey, station-drivers dot com has an updated M2N32-SLI deluxe bios (v1004). I tried to flash my board with it and then I couldn't load into Windows. Reflashed v1001 and everything was back to normal. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it than I did.

Greetings from the Greek guy (who is stuck in UK for his studies :() Some of u may remember me. I was dealing with a lot of issues with this crazy mobo since i bought it, but as many mentioned b4 if u manage to find the "Golden-Line" this mobo works likes a beast!!:D:D

So, i used to own an AMD 4600+ and the mobo that we all know, with BIOS revision 0603. Dual OS installed (both x32 and x64) and since i received that lief-savior mail from an ASUS guy from China saying that i need to unistall the IDE NVIDIA driver to solve my BSOD evr single thing used to work perfectly fine ;)

Months passed and my PC requirements got bigger (:D:p) so i purchased the latest and the final Athlon (while AMD is closing this Athlon chapter once and for all in their history), the beast named 6000+ 2MB cache. I had to do some changes and upgrades first in my PC in order to make it work. So i downloaded the Windows Flash Utility and the 1004 version since the 6000 is supported from the 0903 and further i think. I had a backup plan in case that something was about to go wrong. Everything went smooth, my PC boot back to x64 again :eek::eek::eek: but it crash since it started to reco new devices (and especially the LAN controllers.) So the backup plan was ready to take place.

Firts the beast (6000) had to be installed. The surgery was about to begin, so i removed the old one, i put the new one and i put some of the Zalman ZM-STG1 Thermal Greace cause i am using the 9700 cooler to cool this "baby", and i boot to BIOS to change the parameters. Timing for the Corsair 6400 (2*1GB) all set to 4-4-4-12-2T and voltage to 2.1V. Smooth format, fast installation and now all works great!! HoooaH guys1!:D:D;);)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I updated the first post. They've release three BIOS updates since the last time I updated - we're on v1201 now!

v1004 released "memory compatibility updates", so it looks like we're on track for a stable board at long last :eek3:

Also the soundmax drivers were updated. Now if we could just get nvidia to release 590 drivers for vista that are newer than 15.0 I'd be a happy guy.
    edited July 2007
    I feel reasonably comfortable saying that finally, after a year of tweaks, experiments, and updates, this board is stable.

With BIOS rev 1201 and the latest drivers, I feel confident using my machine for the first time since I put it together. My ultimate stability test was running 400+ photos through DxO Optics Pro, which is extremely intense image editing software. I could never run over 10 photos through at a time, it would bluescreen and crash. Two nights ago, after updating to 1210, I ran 451 photos through DxO and ran Folding @ Home on both cores at the same time, while a Dreamscene background was playing on my vista desktop. I came down the next morning and the computer was still running and the photos were finished. It also did a backup during the middle of the night as well as initiated and completed an 800mb FTP backup download.

It shouldn't take a year for motherboard manufacturers to make their gear stable, but here we are :-/
    edited July 2007
    Great news Primesuspect i am glad for u beasty!!I totally agree with ur comment about the manuf...What can we say...since they care so less.We can only say a small "thnx" WHEN they finally decide to give us the chance to smile and say "Finally my mobo is working fine now". May God bless us all ;)

I have a question to whoever he knows about it or at least he has previosuly read about it. I was just surfing around couple of minutes back and my way lead me to the ASUS site and especially to the download section. I saw (Since i am an x64bit version user of WinXP Pro) that in the "Drivers Section" there is a file named "NVIDIA_chip_V919.zip" with an icon description at the left of it as a "Chipset" driver most probably, released on 2007/04/04. My question is: This is the Nvidia Chipset Driver for our mobo and if "Yes" why in the official site of Nvidia the release of the chipset driver for both the OS (32bit and 64bit) are still set to June 2006? I am asking this cause if someone knows, probably i will have to reinstall the XP and put instead of the old ones the new ones.

Thnx in advance
  • edited July 2007
    Hello everyone,

Im having a constant problem with my M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition. Constant freezing when trying to access (not on them, its instant freeze) Lineage II, Norton Internet Suite and MySQL. Also it's freezing while trying to play games such as Half-Life 2, but not unnecessarily under heavy stress jobs like passing files from one drive to another. It does happens but it seems like a random event.

My current hardware:

- 2x500GB (1tb) Raid 0 Western Digital HDDs
    - mushkin 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
    - 700W FSP Source Power Supply
    - Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS Graphics Card

It's updated with the latest BIOS and Drivers...

I'll try changing some of the configuration at home to see if I can fix this issue, thanks :)
    edited July 2007
    The very first thing to check: What slots are your memory modules plugged into?
  • edited July 2007
    The very first thing to check: What slots are your memory modules plugged into?

DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1, as stated in the manual (yellow ones)
    edited July 2007
    Did you read the very first post in this thread?
    If you have two sticks of RAM, the general consensus is that the board is much more stable with the sticks in the A2/B2 slots (BLACK SLOTS), NOT the Yellow slots as the manual says. We recommend putting your ram in the BLACK slots.

The manual is wrong.

Read the first post and do everything it says. It should fix your problems :)
  • edited July 2007
    Did you read the very first post in this thread?

The manual is wrong.

Read the first post and do everything it says. It should fix your problems :)

Thanks primesuspect, ill verify it when I get back home and I'll reply :D
  • edited July 2007
    Well, im back. I don't seem to load the three applications I stated above, updated ForceWare to 163.22 (weird how this page nzone(dot)com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html shows two beta drivers for the 8 series released in the same date), ill have to check if my computer is still giving me unstability problems, although yeah, the problem trying to load those applications is sort of bad... I need MySQL to set up a test page of something in developing... I guess ill just do that in work... :(
  • edited July 2007
    i just built what i was hoping to be a great machine.
    it has potential.
    however, it is very unstable.
    here's the hardware:

: XP64 SP2 completely updated
    : Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless edition
    : 1000 watt SLI certified ultra power supply
    : AMD 64 X2 6000+ / Zalman 9700 CPU cooler
    : 4 - 1024mb dimms of Corsair DDR2-800 @ 400 Mz
    XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 (4GB total ram)
    : NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT (512 MB)
    <!-- B:07Y -->: ATI TV WONDER 650 PCI Tuner Card
    : Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card Model: SB0570
    : 2 500gb seagate barracuda SATA hds running in raid mirror. w/ two partitions:
    - partition 1 is the "windows scratch drive" with a FAT32 size of 18GB,
    and solely used for the windows virtual memory system page file.
    - the remainder for document/video/mp3 storage.
    : the second 2 hard drives are 250GB seagate baracuda's also running in raid mirror. they contain the opperating system.

first of all, i was unable to get XP 32 bit pro to load on this machine. i would get half way thou the install and then get the blue screen of death.
    so i tired xp64 pro... and it flew on.
    machine is fast.
    real fast.
    problem was the audio.
    any time you did anything with sound more than a windows system sound (example: windwos start up melody/the sound it makes when you adjust the volume...etc) so anytime you used winamp, or dared to use the TV card, the system would hault. I would alos get random BSOD, and have to do OS reloads. after some digging, i found out that the sound card drivers were basically pretty weak, and thus alot of the problem.
    so i uninstalled the sound card in the device manager, and disabled it in the bios so windows never even sees it. then installed the sound blaster live card, and that added stability. this thing will run for 3 days when i'm out of town with no issues. but if i come home, and i'm listing to songs on winamp, and someone im's me with aol instant messanger, and it makes the im recieved souund, the coumputer haults and muyst be restarted.
    i'm running the new bios version (1201 i think) and i downloaded the most recent nvidia chipset drivers.
    the ati tv software causes it to crash almost upon opening it.
    so i now use beyond tv, which rocks, and is very stable.
    any idea on how to resolve these sound issues?
    or the issue where my wifi looses packets. see's the router great. just times out while browsing sometimes. it's odd. i spent alot of money on the hardware for this thing, and alot of time so far on debugging. i'd like to thank you guys for any help you'd be kind enough to offer.
    - thanks again
    edited July 2007
    Have you run Memtest? Also have you tried populating only 2 of the 4 ram slots? (I know you have 4gb of ram, but just try it with 2gb)
  • edited July 2007
    i havent run memtest yet.
    do you know a version that i can download and install with xp64?
    as for the two dims...
    let me run the test, then i'll try that.
    i really need all the ram do to the CAD drafting i do.
    edited July 2007
    Memtest doesn't have anything to do with what OS you have - it's a little distro of linux that boots off a CD or floppy

A brief tutorial on how to use memtest
  • edited July 2007
    first off, i'd like to thank you for all of your help.
    i ran memtest for 5 hours and it said "pass 4, errors 0"

i'm taking it that means it's cycled through the complete test 4 times, and all passed.
    edited July 2007
    That's correct. Your memory is probably not bad. How are your temperatures?
  • edited July 2007
    this computer sounds like a little wind tunnel with all the case fans i have.
    all of the components sit right around 42 degrees C.
    edited July 2007
    frisbie813 wrote:
    this computer sounds like a little wind tunnel with all the case fans i have.
    all of the components sit right around 42 degrees C.

Something that worked with some of the ppl in here including me (;)) and it was a proposal from a guy who works in ASUS service department and sent me this as an email:

For your problem, please enter the control panel,then windows add/remove, find the
    nVIDIA DRIVERS item, choose delete it. When it ask you choose which part to
    delete, please only choose the NV IDE driver (cancel others parts) to
    continue. After it is done, reboot system to have a test.

Btw ur temps look fine as well.
  • edited July 2007
    Hi people, this is my first log on here but I have been reading for some time now. My System is as below:-

M2N32-SLI Deluxe AMD Socket AM2 Motherboard Wireless Edition (default bios settings (0903))
    CORSAIR XMS2 1GB x2
    gf 7800 512gto Asus
    zalman cpu heatsink
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    ambient temp 42 deg
    Seagate 320GB Serial ATA HD
    XP Pro

I built this in December 2006 and it ran great for 6 months with great performance results. Then out of the blue it starts BSD or just rebooting following with MB memory beeps. At this stage I presumed a faulty MB as I tested every bit of hardware in the PC and came back to the MB. I RMA'd the MB and had to have the same MB in replacement, though unaware of this issue at the time this did not bother me.

All was well for 1 month and then the same thing starts to happen. Now I'm thinking that the MB may be buggy so I start searching for known issues, where I find this forum. I followed all the ADV at that time with no advantage. So I decided to flash the bios to v1001.

The PC again ran great for a further few weeks, until now. I am now wondering that this MB appears to be time bombed, as it is stable for a period of time. Maybe some kind of bios corruption going on. To that end I have now re-flashed the bios with v1001 to see if the pc goes stable.

Any suggestions will be considered, Kurn. :)
    edited July 2007
    Try updating to 1201, the latest bios. That's a strange problem you're having :confused:

Welcome to icrontic :)