Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe stability problems

18910111214»

Comments

• edited May 2009
    GhouL wrote:
    thanks for your reply, I tried as you suggest, removing everything and so, tested the disk from this pc I'm typing now, ran memory tests, and downclocked CPU, memory timings and all this sort of things. Only thing I couldn't change was my GPU.

The fact is, that's not the first time it happens. the first time, I thought it to be HDD problem, and bought another one. but the suspected HDD is still in use, as a general data drive, while windows was installed on the new HDD.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall vista with only the newest HDD on, from a USB device, so I can plug off my DVD drive too, but it also won't work...

With everything on, or everything off, after some minutes turned on, my pc will simply stop recognizing my HDD until I turn it off and on again.

During Vista Installation, it takes forever to load all files, and when it does, never shows the graphical interface background, or menus, just the black screen with the mouse cursor, trying forever to read the HDD, but with no success.

Zero-Filling any of the HDDs won't be possible, as I have sensitive data in both of them, and couldn't back up in time.

as I solved this problem once, I guess with a random solution, or something I did I can't quite remember right now, I'm searching for someone who has suffered the same problem, and maybe can help me solve mine

again, thanks for the reply, and sorry for bad english

your situation is complicated you nkow to be honest i prefer pata vs sata for their reliability i m not sure what you are saying sorry this didnt work fork you maybe try a regular pata or another sata drive (an internal drive)for testing purposes to see if it may be the hdd drive.

lets stick to the basics.
    you are not able to install is that what you are saying on the drive right?
    and what kind of drive are you using give me more info if you want help you have be clear and simple.

im talking to ghoul here..... you stilll there...u might have done a bios update (maybe a confliction of irq software/hardware issue.

if your installation process is not going then you need to consider,hdd, optical or actual windows vista cd .bios setting defective part(s)c
    also you are you using usb to install on mine i cant rely on the usb that much until they have been enhanced within the operating system im not sure about vista. any ways try a different internal regular pats or sata drive.ok let me nkow what's goin on ok.....
  • edited May 2009
    your situation is complicated you nkow to be honest i prefer pata vs sata for their reliability i m not sure what you are saying sorry this didnt work fork you maybe try a regular pata or another sata drive (an internal drive)for testing purposes to see if it may be the hdd drive.

lets stick to the basics.
    you are not able to install is that what you are saying on the drive right?
    and what kind of drive are you using give me more info if you want help you have be clear and simple.

im talking to ghoul here..... you stilll there...u might have done a bios update (maybe a confliction of irq software/hardware issue.

if your installation process is not going then you need to consider,hdd, optical or actual windows vista cd .bios setting defective part(s)c
    also you are you using usb to install on mine i cant rely on the usb that much until they have been enhanced within the operating system im not sure about vista. any ways try a different internal regular pats or sata drive.ok let me nkow what's goin on ok.....

Sorry for my confusing post, English is not my natural language, and sometimes I get it confused.

I will try to explain what I did so far

Last year, I had as single drive, a SATA-II 400gb samsung HDD, with Vista on it, and all of a sudden, it sometimes wouldn't be recognized in BIOS. I bought a SATA-II 500gb Seagate HDD to replace the samsung. it detected and installed perfectly, and after that, I plugged the samsung HDD in the hope of recovering anything I had on it. The samsung HDD worked perfectly together with the Seagate one, until last week.
    Now, I tried removing everything from the PC, the samsung HDD, my PATA DVD reader, to see if that way I could re-install Vista on my Seagate HDD without formatting it.
    either via DVD or via USB, it never completed. But, if I plug only the samsung HDD, the installation seems to go correctly (I didn't finish it, since I can't format it, and don't have free space on any of its partitions)

So, to make it short, my previous HDD (smsung) that last year had this faulty behavior, have worked perfectly since I installed Vista on other HDD (seagate), and my new HDD (seagate) has the same faulty behavior that my now working old HDD (samsung) had.

To answer your other questions. I checked the DVD media, and it is readable by my drive (plugged the drive on another PC), I also don't like installing OS via USB, and only tried it because via PATA reader it wouldn't progress

my BIOS is double checked. and after the problem started, I flashed it to the last version.

I've read some topics in different forums that nVidia has those problems with its SATA controller since nForce 3 or so...

I also tried plugging my SATA drive into the Sil controller too, but with the same results...
  • edited May 2009
    GhouL wrote:
    Sorry for my confusing post, English is not my natural language, and sometimes I get it confused.

I will try to explain what I did so far

Last year, I had as single drive, a SATA-II 400gb samsung HDD, with Vista on it, and all of a sudden, it sometimes wouldn't be recognized in BIOS. I bought a SATA-II 500gb Seagate HDD to replace the samsung. it detected and installed perfectly, and after that, I plugged the samsung HDD in the hope of recovering anything I had on it. The samsung HDD worked perfectly together with the Seagate one, until last week.
    Now, I tried removing everything from the PC, the samsung HDD, my PATA DVD reader, to see if that way I could re-install Vista on my Seagate HDD without formatting it.
    either via DVD or via USB, it never completed. But, if I plug only the samsung HDD, the installation seems to go correctly (I didn't finish it, since I can't format it, and don't have free space on any of its partitions)

So, to make it short, my previous HDD (smsung) that last year had this faulty behavior, have worked perfectly since I installed Vista on other HDD (seagate), and my new HDD (seagate) has the same faulty behavior that my now working old HDD (samsung) had.

To answer your other questions. I checked the DVD media, and it is readable by my drive (plugged the drive on another PC), I also don't like installing OS via USB, and only tried it because via PATA reader it wouldn't progress

my BIOS is double checked. and after the problem started, I flashed it to the last version.

I've read some topics in different forums that nVidia has those problems with its SATA controller..

once i did an update with an msi(the bios) board of mine and after that i could never use my own cd drivers had to get totally new drivers or not install certain driver and .also some of my boards i dont know if it was on my msi and asus board they both didnt recodnize sata drives im sure
    if this is the issue with yours dont you just hate those types of troubleshooting what awaste of time.
    i've never used multiple drives.so that beats me if your using multiple drives...
    however this is a newer board and should be able to install....so it could be the drive it self.or etc shouldnt be the boards fault.i also use a sata optical drive and seems to work fine bios could be damaged though...

your bios or drive seems to be the issues here maybe you can start a new post regarding your drive or problem anyways this one is beyond me...im just a gamer that plays ut2004 and know the basics.
    i only use and 160 gb hardrive and use win xp.asus m2n plus sli nforce 500
    with good capicitors but a weak north bridge.(cooled with an athlon 3200xp factory cpu fan)

but can we say thats its related to hardrive?...i mean if you were to use a regular harddrive ghoul a pata(specifically) an internal one that is...
    it should go through....plz lets not take over this post ghoul because this is a different error try making a new post with a brand new title ....

try a small harddrive a pata one... its way less headaches dont install arrays of stuff its so much easier...unless you want to
    it shouldnt matter whether its sata or pata but not usb.

when your saying that the pata reader wouldn't progress what does that mean....?do you mean a pata harddrive?

and because a drive is readable it still might not be functionning right. that just might be why it is not progressing.....you need to really make sure you software on the cd is readable and that the optical drive is fully functionning a brand new 1 is what you need and a fullyfunctionning recognized harddrive in the bios pata is easily recognized so there you go there is your answer..its gotta be one of those fixes sata is sometimes hard to be recognized.
  • edited May 2009
    you gotta alot of hard drives and big ones 2
    and you seem to be well aware obviously of how it goes better than me it seems i dont know what it is but.............your english if just fine.

once i did an update with an msi(the bios) board of mine and after that i could never use my own cd drivers had to get totally new drivers or not install certain driver and .also some of my boards i dont know if it was on my msi and asus board they both didnt recodnize sata drives im sure
    if this is the issue with yours dont you just hate those types of troubleshooting what awaste of time.
    i've never used multiple drives.so that beats me if your using multiple drives...
    however this is a newer board and should be able to install....so it could be the drive it self.or etc shouldnt be the boards fault.i also use a sata optical drive and seems to work fine bios could be damaged though...

your bios or drive seems to be the issues here maybe you can start a new post regarding your drive or problem anyways this one is beyond me...im just a gamer that plays ut2004 and know the basics.
    i only use and 160 gb hardrive and use win xp.asus m2n plus sli nforce 500
    with good capicitors but a weak north bridge.(cooled with an athlon 3200xp factory cpu fan)

but can we say thats its related to hardrive?...i mean if you were to use a regular harddrive ghoul a pata(specifically) an internal one that is...
    it should go through....plz lets not take over this post ghoul because this is a different error try making a new post with a brand new title ....

try a small harddrive a pata one... its way less headaches dont install arrays of stuff its so much easier...unless you want to
    it shouldnt matter whether its sata or pata but not usb.

when your saying that the pata reader wouldn't progress what does that mean....?do you mean a pata harddrive?

and because a drive is readable it still might not be functionning right. that just might be why it is not progressing.....you need to really make sure you software on the cd is readable and that the optical drive is fully functionning a brand new 1 is what you need and a fullyfunctionning recognized harddrive in the bios pata is easily recognized so there you go there is your answer..its gotta be one of those fixes sata is sometimes hard to be recognized you might have to hold f6 and install a software(via floppy)if you want sure well at least if you want an array and isntall additional software....thats only if you have an older board i think or thats just for installing an array of drives....what ever you call that...

by the way you are getting new error now right?you are able to get into the bios?and see the hardrive?or no?...etc what is your new stadis?

Hi, my DVD Drive is PATA, that's what I meant with PATA Reader =)
    I'm not using RAID or anything like that, just 2 HDDs.

I suspected from BIOS too, but I only changed its configs, and flashed it AFTER the problems beguns. The problems booting from my 500gb HDD started simply out of nowhere... I had my PC going for a 1 week uptime, and suddenly it got extremely slow, rebooted with a BSOD and didn't recognize my 500gb HDD. I turned it off, changed the SATA port in the MoBo, and it recognized again, booted, worked for about 1 hour, where I could read anything I tried, and then got slow again, made me turn it off and change the SATA port again, but from then I couldn't finish boot anymore, or if I finished booting, my pc would get extremely slow again just minutes after it.
    So I tried flashing BIOS, reinstalling Vista and that kind of stuff.

But, when I try to reinstall Vista, from the same DVD Drive, the same DVD disc, but in different HDDs, if I have my 500gb HDD plugged, it won't finish. if I plug it off, the instalation goes perfectly.

As this same thing happened before, with the 400gb HDD, which made me buy the 500gb one, I'm suspecting something with the motherboard, specifically the chipset.

I already bought a new MoBo, just got tired of not being able to play my games whenever I want =) and as soon as I get it, and re-build my rig, I'll tell you if the installation worked fine with my 500gb HDD.

But I want to know how to solve the problem with the old one, as it's still pretty usable, if specifically my 500gb HDD isn't plugged on it =)
  • edited May 2009
    GhouL wrote:
    Hi, my DVD Drive is PATA, that's what I meant with PATA Reader =)
    I'm not using RAID or anything like that, just 2 HDDs.

I suspected from BIOS too, but I only changed its configs, and flashed it AFTER the problems beguns. The problems booting from my 500gb HDD started simply out of nowhere... I had my PC going for a 1 week uptime, and suddenly it got extremely slow, rebooted with a BSOD and didn't recognize my 500gb HDD. I turned it off, changed the SATA port in the MoBo, and it recognized again, booted, worked for about 1 hour, where I could read anything I tried, and then got slow again, made me turn it off and change the SATA port again, but from then I couldn't finish boot anymore, or if I finished booting, my pc would get extremely slow again just minutes after it.
    So I tried flashing BIOS, reinstalling Vista and that kind of stuff.

But, when I try to reinstall Vista, from the same DVD Drive, the same DVD disc, but in different HDDs, if I have my 500gb HDD plugged, it won't finish. if I plug it off, the instalation goes perfectly.

As this same thing happened before, with the 400gb HDD, which made me buy the 500gb one, I'm suspecting something with the motherboard, specifically the chipset.

I already bought a new MoBo, just got tired of not being able to play my games whenever I want =) and as soon as I get it, and re-build my rig, I'll tell you if the installation worked fine with my 500gb HDD.

But I want to know how to solve the problem with the old one, as it's still pretty usable, if specifically my 500gb HDD isn't plugged on it =)

if your harddrive is not finishing the install it s defective or the optical reader or cd media i doubt its the board.you cant take the side of those components over the mobo but you nkow sometimes the mobo just dies 2
    thats whats happening with my socket A motherboard but only the usbs...

your sata headers might be blown.try pata...slower but more reliable....unless you 10000 rpm now that would be nice instead 7200 rpm still pata over sata thats why i dont use sata i remember all kinds of issues...buy an msi
  • edited May 2009
    if your harddrive is not finishing the install it s defective or the optical reader or cd media i doubt its the board.you cant take the side of those components over the mobo but you nkow sometimes it could be the motherboard too.
    thats whats happening with my socket A motherboard but only the usbs...the headers are done...1 by 1 they just died.

any way it seems like you are able to post and get into at least one of your hardrives right?

you can complete the install with at least 1 of your drives.
    the bios doesnt want both on there your board sata circuitry on the board
    are messed up....

your saying you want both on there and working when they are both hooked up.but cant any more as you were used 2.
    the sata headers might not be able 2 handle both anymore it might be excedding the limit or the headers are getting weak do u nkow what i mean?(just guessing)start a new post with your new error....
    heres more help if your hardrive is not be ing detected in the bios

If it's not seen by the bios: 1. Plugging wrong
    2. Cable installed wrong or bad.
    3. Bad drive.
    4. Bad controller
    5.Check master/slave/CS jumper position
    6.Try a different IDE cable.
    7.see if it works as slave on another computer...
    8.have a multimeter on hand to check power.

the bios does an ata identify.wich will fail if the drive firmware is not loading...or takes to long beacuse of read retries.
    the info is stored somewhere in the bios and is just not being pulled up.....and or/so is somehow not receiving that info from the drive...their may also be a utility offered by the manafaturer of the hard drive etc...
    From what you say, it seems like the drive's way of identifying itself to the BIOS is screwed up.
    It's possible, electronics fried, etc..so the BIOS just probably thinks the cable is not connected to anything :-)headers are blown....

what I'd try is : disconnect ANY other device from the board..get a set of cables, set the drive's jumper right( very important in some cases), like master or slave , not cable select..and GET THE BIOS TO SEE IT

and if the BIOS still doesn't see it, heh, then I guess Windows will not see it, nor will DOS, and I guess, neither will Linux, Live CD( like Knoppix, etc..) so..it is definitely gonna need alot more than a good software program.

sorry ghoul the whole time i thought you couldnt even post....what was i thinking hope this helps you....
  • edited May 2009
    any way it seems like you are able to post and get into at least one of your hardrives right?

you can complete the install with at least 1 of your drives.

if so so your initial problem is done with and now you are trying to figure out something different.

your saying you want both on there and working when they are both hooked up.but cant any more as you were used 2.
    the sata headers might not be able 2 handle both anymore it might be excedding the limit or the headers are getting weak do u nkow what i mean?(just guessing)start a new post with your new error....
    heres more help if your hardrive is not be ing detected in the bios

If it's not seen by the bios: 1. Plugging wrong
    2. Cable installed wrong or bad.
    3. Bad drive.
    4. Bad controller
    5.Check master/slave/CS jumper position
    6.Try a different IDE cable.
    7.see if it works as slave on another computer...
    8.have a multimeter on hand to check power.

the bios does an ata identify.wich will fail if the drive firmware is not loading...or takes to long beacuse of read retries.
    the info is stored somewhere in the bios and is just not being pulled up.....and or/so is somehow not receiving that info from the drive...their may also be a utility offered by the manafaturer of the hard drive etc...
    From what you say, it seems like the drive's way of identifying itself to the BIOS is screwed up.
    It's possible, electronics fried, etc..so the BIOS just probably thinks the cable is not connected to anything :-)

what I'd try is : disconnect ANY other device from the board..get a set of cables, set the drive's jumper right( very important in some cases), like master or slave , not cable select..and GET THE BIOS TO SEE IT

and if the BIOS still doesn't see it, heh, then I guess Windows will not see it, nor will DOS, and I guess, neither will Linux, Live CD( like Knoppix, etc..) so..it is definitely gonna need alot more than a good software program( that runs on a OS, to start with) to get any data recovered..(like a specialized data recovery company that is capable of opening the drive in a dust-free room and mounting the platters on a special machine and setting up the machine for the drive geometry and retrieving some data..)

Good luck, make sure you try things that logically SHOULD work, and if they don't, get some RMA protocol going and..learn the lesson about the regular backing-up the hard way, my friend..

If I plug anyone of the 2 SATA HDDs I have in another PC, both will read flawlessly. if I plug any 2 SATA HDDs, except for my Seagate one, that reads perfectly in another PC, in my PC, they both will be readen flawlessly.

My problem, from what I could discover until now, is that my motherboard doesn't want to read my 500gb HDD, but will read any other without any problems, as will any other computer read my 500gb HDD without any problems (tried that already)

That's what I can't understand. the same already happened with my 400gb HDD a year ago, I installed my Windows in another HDD, and my 400gb worked properly after that.

I'm trying to understand why my motherboard stops detecting properly one functional HDD, until I install windows in another HDD
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Ghoul,

Have you run memtest on your system with the CPU at stock clocks and the ram running its rated speed, timings, and voltage?

Get memtest from www.memtest.org
  • edited May 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ghoul,

Have you run memtest on your system with the CPU at stock clocks and the ram running its rated speed, timings, and voltage?

Get memtest from www.memtest.org

No, I didn't try them with memtest, but since the problem happens only when I plug one of my 2 HDDs in, and I've been running this pc, with those memory modules for more than a year, leaving it on for a week or more, withou rebooting, I'm suspecting something to do with my mobo and that hdd in special, but will try memtest too, just to make sure
  • edited May 2009
    Finally I found out what happened... the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 series has a problem that when it is abruptly powered off, it sometimes can get confused and keep shutting itself down out of nowhere. That's what's been happenning with my HDD...

After months working perfectly, thanks to the creature I pay for cleaning my house turning off my UPS accidentally, this problem started.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?Tab=search&Module=selfservice&TargetLanguage=selfservice&DocId=207931&NewLang=en

the link above is the article from seagate telling about the problem, with the download link to the .iso that updates the HDD firmware

after chaning my MoBo, the problem continued, and while I was after the disc tools from Seagate I found this. Updated my HDD, and now it reads perfectly. I've to test it further still, though.

Now I have a spare m2n32SLI-Deluxe...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for posting the solution :)
  • edited May 2009
    well i was trying to tell you that ghoul that it was the hardrive but you didnt want to listen...
    i said go the manafacturers website etc etc...

never the less thank you for posting here for your solution....
    i aint gettin no love here.....
  • edited May 2009
    GhouL wrote:
    Finally I found out what happened... the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 series has a problem that when it is abruptly powered off, it sometimes can get confused and keep shutting itself down out of nowhere. That's what's been happenning with my HDD...

After months working perfectly, thanks to the creature I pay for cleaning my house turning off my UPS accidentally, this problem started.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?Tab=search&Module=selfservice&TargetLanguage=selfservice&DocId=207931&NewLang=en

the link above is the article from seagate telling about the problem, with the download link to the .iso that updates the HDD firmware

after chaning my MoBo, the problem continued, and while I was after the disc tools from Seagate I found this. Updated my HDD, and now it reads perfectly. I've to test it further still, though.

Now I have a spare m2n32SLI-Deluxe...

not even a thank you after i tried so hard......
  • edited September 2009
    Hello everybody!

First sorry if my english its not the best, im from Mexico.

I have one M2N32 SLI Deluxe MOtherboard since 1 year, the first 2 months works very good, but next it start to shutting down 5 secs after turn on, i don´t know what of the 1000 solutions work, but... work :P

Next i can use my compter again very good, But! Again a problem, when i play a game (any game) the computer shut down, i enter in the BIOS and the sensor says 105 C ... WTF? 105 C??

I change the Thermal Solution, i buy a salman cooler, but nothing happens, the problem continues, and when i touch de cooler its cold,

i try to chek the temps with everest, speedfan, etc, etc,

The computer its cold but the sensor Lie!!

How i can fix it please!!!

My computer specs.

Mobo: Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wi/Fi
    Proce: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    RAM: 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance 800 Mhz Dua Chanel
    Video card: EVGA 8800 GT
    Power Supply: ThermalTake 600W
    BIOS: 2205

HELP!!!:respect: