Ordered a New PC at Last!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    What's next? A Mac?

YOU MAY LAUGH, BUT TWO YEARS AGO IF I SAID THRAX WOULD BE BUYING AN INTEL YOU WOULD HAVE LAUGHED THEN!!!! SO NYAH!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's as fast below 1600 when you don't turn on all the goodies. I've been living with jaggies for a long time.. Looking forward to running around everywhere with 8x+ everything.

You mean 8X AA and 16X AF :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That's right. 8x+ everything.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hell has indeed frozen over but alas.. Thrax would not be Thrax were he not also as shrewd as he is defiant ;D

Congratulations Rob, enjoy your new powerhouse :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The sky is falling!!!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=21021&d=1157019713
    edited September 2006
    Well, everything but the PSU, HSF and mobo arrives today :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Well, everything but the PSU, HSF and mobo arrives today :(
    Why the long face? :(

Is this a Newegg no weekend deliveries deal?
    edited September 2006
    It's an "Inexplicably, the smallest package with the shortest shipping distance took longer to ship than packages of 5x the weight and 2-4x the distance" deal, in addition to a "The mobo was not purchase at Newegg and I'm spoiled by their customer service" deal. :(:( Staring at a conroe, RAM, a case, a sound card, a video card and all sorts of other stuff will drive me batty.
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's an "Inexplicably, the smallest package with the shortest shipping distance took longer to ship than packages of 5x the weight and 2-4x the distance" deal, in addition to a "The mobo was not purchase at Newegg and I'm spoiled by their customer service" deal. :(:( Staring at a conroe, RAM, a case, a sound card, a video card and all sorts of other stuff will drive me batty.
    You need time to go faster. Since you cannot speed up time, you need to enter a state that gives you the perception of time passing quickly. May I suggest a large dose of sleeping pills...
    edited September 2006
    I can certainly sympathize with your frustration. Ironic, isn't it? Wait for three years, then the last three days is agonizing. :-/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    meditate on this, my friend. your attachment to your motherboard will only cause you suffering. :ninja:

;D
    edited September 2006
    meditate on this, my friend. your attachment to your motherboard will only cause you suffering. :ninja:

;D

Om mane padme hom Asus P5B Deluxe sambuddhasa
    edited September 2006
    What would be a build without shwagshots? ;)

More to come when the mobo, PSU, HSF and monitor arrive.
    edited September 2006
    Motherboard, HSF and PSU arrived! More pictures to come!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Lets get to business Thrax. Lemme know when you have opened the box with the mainboard. Ger a pair of pliers (spelling?) out. You MUST change the goop under the chipset m8. It's a crime not to. At least in Michigan :P
    edited September 2006
    ...You MUST change the goop under the chipset m8. It's a crime not to. At least in Michigan :P
    Using expensive Tequila to clean the chip, of course. :D
    edited September 2006
    Okay, she's up, not posting from her yet, however first (Default BIOS) boot reports 43*C idle with speedstep off. Is that good or bad?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:

Or you can go ahead and use Sauza like our buddy Sledge. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Okay, she's up, not posting from her yet, however first (Default BIOS) boot reports 43*C idle with speedstep off. Is that good or bad?
    If the ambient temperature (room) is warm, then the 43*C at idle is OK. If the room is normal or cool, than that temp is a little bit high. I'm assuming at this point the CPU is at default frequency.

EDIT: Are you using the stock CPU heatsink or aftermarket? What's installed?
  • edited September 2006
    That sounds a bit warm to me, Thrax. But then, I don't know how the P5B reports temps either. My folding temps (2 clients) run from 40-42 C on my Conroe, but I have the P5W DH instead of the P5B.
    edited September 2006
    I'm running D9XX (dual core Presler) series CPUs now. They are also 65nm, but run hotter than Conroes. At idle in comfortable room temperature, the CPUs are at 38-40*C, and that's with a 1000MHz overclock each. At full load, both cores at 100% utilization, same overclock, they run at 52-56*C.
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Or you can go ahead and use Sauza like our buddy Sledge. ;)
    Unless they're giving it away, it's expensive in my book. :vimp:
    edited September 2006
    It sounded very warm to me too. I'm going to try reseating the HSF, or changing its orientation. We'll see what happens.

//EDIT: Going to change orientation, I don't think the heatpipes like being aligned vertically. The manual suggests a horizontal installation, though I didn't catch that initially. I thought having the fan blowing through the sink and into the exhaust fans was a great idea. I'll also use more grease..

News at 12:00.
    edited September 2006
    "More" thermal paste? Come on Thrax, you know better than that. Do you still have gaps in between the heatsink base and the CPU heatspreader?

Speaking of which, I have now tried and have switched to Zalman thermal paste. I'm getting 1-2*C better performance with it than Arctic Silver 5. It applies with a brush and has the consistency of a thick model paint. You literally paint it on the surface to be cooled and the contact area on the heatsink. Assuming availability, I doubt I'll go back to Arctic Silver unless they come out something similar. The Zalman solution is so much easier to apply uniformly and doesn't create air pockets if the first attempt at mating the components isn't precise.
    edited September 2006
    I fear my application was too thin, sir Leo. I think, however, the SNAFU was in the heatpipe orientation. Working on transferring files from my old HDD before I go spelunking in the aluminum wilds.
  • edited September 2006
    I've gone to the pea sized blob in the middle of the IHS application method with AS5 and AS Ceramique myself. It seems to work better for me on processors that use an IHS.

Leo, I'm curious as to how long the Zalman stuff keeps performing well. Keep us informed if you see any difference in performance down the road. :)
    edited September 2006
    Only a few C difference by re-silvering and rotating. Going to look at case temps next; I just have this feeling that the diodes might be off.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Download Core Temp, it reads the temp off the CPU.

Datsun 1600
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The board over-reads the temps by a bit. Don't worry about it. Also, the IHS may be concave. Mine looked like a serial bowl :/

A blob big as a ricecorn in the middle and let the heatsinks pressure take care of the rest is the thing. You don't need to have goop all over the ihs. Only 60% from the middle.
    edited September 2006
    Only a few C difference by re-silvering and rotating.
    Well, what are the temps? What's the ambient temperature?

43*C at idle is not great, but it's certainly not a show stopper. If you lowered that by a "few", perhaps you are right where you need to be. The Conroes run cool, compared to P4 Presscot, Pentium D8XXX/9XXX, and even somewhat compared to Athlon dual cores, but don't expect miracles.