Ordered a New PC at Last!

124»

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm checking into this Thrax. Beep me when you wake up.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    The video card is $550. Anything short of "Working as intended" is not f'ing awesome.

yeh, but im sure it is just a minor issue like a setting or something. but yeh, you have apoint with the $550, that would cover the cost of my mobo/cpu/memory/psu...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm checking into this Thrax. Beep me when you wake up.

Thanks, mate. Right now I've got the GPU on "Multi-Display Performance Mode," which disables SLI and makes one GPU power the whole display. If I enable Multi-GPU and single-monitor, my frame rates just roll over and die. I'm just totally stumped.. There is so much potential here! I hope I can unlock it.

I have a few things I'm going to try when I get home from work, and I finally have a way to see whether or not the SLI is working with different settings.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Hey Thrax you have any images of the beast put together yet?
    edited September 2006
    Not until I sort out the wiring. :D
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited September 2006
    Hey man your using the Aurora Case - it was reviewed by CustomPC - check out the website www.custompc.co.uk and then head over to "labs" then go to "ATX cases" you can of course read up on how they tested the various models

Here is the review

In addition to it being a chassis manufactured by Gigabyte, the Aurora is also rumoured to be a top-secret US spy plane, allegedly capable of streaking through the upper atmosphere at Mach 6. In contrast, the Gigabyte 3D Aurora looks more like a Cylon Centurion from the awesome new series of 'Battlestar Galactica'.
    The 3D Aurora is available in silver or black, but whichever model you buy, the entire case is illuminated by the blue LEDs embedded in the fans. Cooling is provided by a single 120mm fan that draws in cool air through a vent in the front and sides of the front panel; the air is then pushed out the rear of the case by two additional 120mm fans. Further ventilation is provided by a large grille that occupies nearly half of the left side panel. Behind the intake fan is the hard disk cage, which has room for five 3.5in drives, while above it are five 5.25in external and two 3.5in external drive bays.
    A lot of thought has obviously gone into the creation of the 3D Aurora, as it boasts several unique features designed to make building your PC much easier. Foremost among these are the two pre-cut holes in the rear panel,
    which are ideally placed for the tubes of a water-cooling kit, negating the need to drill holes in the case, or remove a PCI bracket. There are also several sensibly placed clips inside the case to hold cables out of the way, so that they don't obstruct airflow.
    On paper, the placement and number of fans inside the 3D Aurora is impressive, but the transversely mounted hard drive cage impedes much of the air drawn in by the intake fan. This has a terrible effect, as air isn't able to flow freely over the hot components before being blown out the back of the case by the two exhaust fans. Even with the test PC sitting idle in Windows, the temperatures of all the main components inside the 3D Aurora, with three 120mm fans, were much hotter than those of the other cases. For example, the GPUs were a toasty 67C, compared to 60C in the Antec P180 or 61C in the Akasa Mirage.
    With the PC fully warmed up by 3DMark06, the 3D Aurora proved to be even worse, with some components running incredibly hot.
    For example, the GPUs were heated to a sizzling 106C, some 5C hotter than those in most of the other cases tested. Even more worrying was the hard disk, which was almost cooking at 52C, only a few degrees shy of the maximum temperature recommended by most hard disk manufacturers. The infrared photograph shows what happens inside the 3D Aurora - the hard disk is practically glowing, since insufficient cool air is being drawn into the case.
    Despite the 3D Aurora's very stylish sci-fi appearance and three 120mm fans, its design is fatally flawed by the lack of clear airflow through the case. When you can buy the superior Antec P180 or Akasa Mirage for just £10-20 more, the 3D Aurora isn't worth shortlisting.
    edited September 2006
    Here is the photo of the case - taken with the FLIR P60 Infrared Camera (£30,000 pounds worth)

Sorry for the bad news with your new computer, may be causing the high temps you are seeing

Notice the HDD lit up - so its rather hot!

aurora.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the mini-review, but you provided it AFTER Mr. Thrax had already purchased his case. Something about a cart before the horse? :scratch:
    edited September 2006
    I know sorry bout that just caught this thread this afternoon - and there was mention of temp issues from my scan of this thread - just thought I would mention it - but you are correct a tad late!
  • edited September 2006
    The Gigabyte case is designed with water cooling in mind, hence the lackluster performance when air-cooled (not suprising). The Antec P180 on the other hand is excellent choice for air cooling, but is a royal pain to rig up for water.
    edited September 2006
    This case is fine for air-cooling, you just have to intelligently air-cool it. I've done so, and my 3GHz conroe is a frosty 101F/38C idle. Using default fans in any case is just a silly practice, in my opinion. They're almost always designed for silence, rather than performance, the latter of which can be struck without creating noise.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    ...Using default fans in any case is just a silly practice, in my opinion. They're almost always designed for silence, rather than performance...
    Or just plain cheap and ineffective. :-/
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    One of the Auroras I have, runs a 920 @ 3.8 Ghz at a toasty 38C with standard fans and an ambient of 24C.

Datsun 1600