Ordered a New PC at Last!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Alright, thanks to Datsun's links, I've got temps for idle...

Core 1: 37C/99F
    Core 2: 42C/107F

In other news, the Auzentech drivers have no idea what to do with a copy of windows not installed on C:\. I had to force them.
    edited September 2006
    Alright, something is wrong with my case cooling, or the CPU/HSF have some serious concave issues I'm not aware of. I'm idling at around 45/48C on both cores after 12 hours of uptime.

In other news, anyone considering the Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 should be aware that the card cannot be installed unless Windows is installed to C:\. I learned the hard way.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It's pretty normal Thrax. The board reports a little higher temperatures that other boards. Both my cores are over 65c load but your should be a little lower. Lifted the HS yet to check contact?
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, contact seems to be good. There's a really nice suction seal when I try to lift up the heatsink, doesn't come off terribly easily.

I think I'm not used to the heat this 7950 turns out, the ambient temps are reporting in the 90s, and that's not right.
    edited September 2006
    It does get very hot, yes. Some serious wattage in that case. Have you used the rig yet? Feel any difference compared to before?
    edited September 2006
    Here's a few shots...

Q4 at 1600x900, 8xS AA / TSAA / 8x AF.
    edited September 2006
    Did I mention "Ultra" quality? ;)
    q4-4.jpg 330.8K
    edited September 2006
    Pretty slick huh?
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    nice, just gotta wait another year and I can have a kickass rig like that.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    That's wicked cool, Thrax. Congrats on the new PC purchase, and I particularly applaud your discipline in saving for this PC. The delayed gratification really seems worth it when you get results like this.
    edited September 2006
    I'm going to go ahead and install the other case fans I purchased, which have a much higher rate of airflow, and see how the CPU temps drop then. I think the HSF is fine, at this point. I think the 7950 is just churning out heat like a freak. I've got load temps down to within 5c of idle, however the ambient is just warm.

Once I get that figured out, it's on to overclocking.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    You might just need one of the blower-powered slot coolers. One little card blower can be more effective than 200cfm of case fans. The objective is to remove the heated air created by the GPU, not necessarily to increase the volume of air moving through the case. If the primary exit of hot air is through the case's rear exhaust fan, an increase in airflow might (maybe not, but might) not change much, as the rear exhaust fan will still draw the GPU's heated air across the CPU heatsink's vanes. In my experience with air cooling, directed airflow is just as important, if not more so, than airflow volume.

There are many different slot coolers available. Avoid the ones with small, high RPM fans. They are annoyingly high pitched in sound.
    edited September 2006
    Installed the new case fans: 31C/36C Core1/2 idle.
    edited September 2006
    Uhhhhh...

2.8GHz at 1.0v? WHAT THE ****.

I set the VCORE to 1.25v in the BIOS, it said "CPU overvolt error" and kept going. And I've got THIS ****.

Core temps even suggest 1v at this speed!

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER, CHAPS. :woowoo:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Well done. As it turns out, your case was indeed asphyxiating. Now it can breathe again. I even the low power draw. For once Intel's hype had substance behind it.
    edited September 2006
    You can remove the fan on the heatsink at 3 ghz if you want. Won't hit 65c. These cpu's are perfect for HTPC.
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax, CPU-Z seems to have trouble reading correct core voltage on the retail Conroe's; I have mine set at 1.525v and CPU-Z shows it at 1.213v vcore. As for core temp, I think it must be reading the minimum vcore set in the proc for when EIST is in use and the proc is idle. If you want to read the proper vcore in windows, try the Asus monitoring app. You can also try Speedfan too; it reads correctly on my P5W DH, but it might not be able to read correctly on your board because the p965 chipset is so new.
    edited September 2006
    I dunno, Mud. It was reading it correctly at the "SPD" voltage if you will, and at 1.3v when I bumped it up to there to start with.
    edited September 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156101

That is supposed to work great, but i know there is adapters where you can put them on the usb header on the board instead. That way, you don't need the cable going outside. Pretty smart actually.
    edited September 2006
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax, check out widescreengamingforum.com for info on playing games in widescreen format that don't initally support it. It'll save you a headache or two.
    edited September 2006
    All the games I already play natively support 16:10. It's been a breeze.
  • edited September 2006
    Not all of them do it well though, for instance Farcry letterboxes the 4:3 image, giving you a smaller FOV. Editing the ini fixes the issue.

And FYI, HL2's campaign maps don't support HDR or most of the other new features added to the Source engine over the past 2 years. You'll need to play Episode 1 to see them. :)

That reminds me... we need someone to upload good demos to benchmark with for comparison.
    edited September 2006
    I now have reason to believe that my 7950GX2 is not, in fact, running in SLI mode to run a game. Setting the video card to "single-display performance mode" and "Multi-GPU rendering" kills my framerates.. IT only works right when I enable "Multi-display performance mode" which disables SLI.
  • edited September 2006
    There's a thread about this over on NVNews here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74875
    edited September 2006
    Confirmed: I currently only have 1GPU working for me. Trying to enable both makes things to to hell in a handcart.

This is real ****ty.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Still F'ing awesome. hope you enjoy it.
    edited September 2006
    The video card is $550. Anything short of "Working as intended" is not f'ing awesome.