Ordered a New PC at Last!

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora w/ 3x Thermaltake SmartFan-II (120mm)
MoBo: Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel E6400 (Allendale) [SL9S9/L626]
HSF: Thermalright Ultra-120 w/ Thermaltake SmartFan-II (120mm)
RAM: 2GB OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum
VID: eVGA GeForce 7950GX2
PSU: HIPER Type-R 580w (Great reviews everywhere!)
Sound: Auzentech XPlosion 7.1
HDD: Western Digital 320gb SATA2
ROM: 2x NEC ND-3550A
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 215TW

Finally, after four years, I am retiring my JIUHB/NF7-S 2.0/9700 Pro.. You've served me so faithfully. Like the Celeron 300 before you, and the Allendales after you, you were a diamond in the rough. I'm going to part you out to good people, my precious. Good people.

WOOOOOOOO I HAVE A REAL COMPUTER COMING

Overclocking will come in this thread.
Β«134

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    And Satan claims another victim... :(

Enjoy the new gear, Thrax - looks like a sweet setup. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Ooh, looky!
    hell.jpg
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Apparently Firefox's add-blocking engine is better than Hell's advertisement service.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited August 2006
    Oh no !!!! I just turned GREEN.......

PS Thanks for the info
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Apparently Firefox's add-blocking engine is better than Hell's advertisement service.

It's my 12,600-line long HOSTS file, actually. Quite effective at blocking ads.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    It's my 12,600-line long HOSTS file, actually. Quite effective at blocking ads.
    Send it to me. Please. :cool:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax has succumbed ...the end of days is near.:honoes:

Enjoy your new machine Thrax sir!
    Please post benchies (as silentX used to call them) asap!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I suppose you got the allendale in hopes of a better oc? since it only has a 2mb cache, and a smaller die. This should be interesting how far you get with it, looks like a sweet setup.
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, 2mb cache vs. 4mb cache = 2-5% max performance difference, but a substantially better chance at high OCs in the Allendale's favour.

And benchies shall rain from the heavens, I promise.
  • edited August 2006
    By the twitching of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

clapping.gif
    edited August 2006
    Yeh, that looks like a sweet rig, how much is it setting you back all said and done?
    edited August 2006
    Around $2500.
    edited August 2006
    ouch.

although, I do have $3500 sitting around...though I better save it.
    edited August 2006
    Realize that I've been saving for a new PC ever since the Clawhammer was released. That was September 23, 2003.
  • edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Realize that I've been saving for a new PC ever since the Clawhammer was released. That was September 23, 2003.
    Congratulations, Thrax. I know you will enjoy your new system. Can't wait to see the benchies!
  • edited August 2006
    Sounds like a nice rig you are building, Thrax. I thought about going with a GX2 for my Conroe build but $100 more than what I spent for a video card wasn't affordable for me at the time. So I settled on an eVGA 7900GTX instead. I still need to buy a new hard drive for this machine and retire that old WD 80 gigger to a folding rig. But at least I got the Core ;) components together for it.

And I'm also sitting here with an e6300 that I plan to make a dedicated folding rig with, or maybe rebuild my daughter's old P4 system with.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    AMD is spinning in his grave. That opteron you were saving for -- all those years.. /cry
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Looking forward to reading this thread as the build is performed and the performance tests ensue. I'm glad you finally got your opportunity, Thrax.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited August 2006
    For F@H, I run an E6400 @ 2720Mhz and an E6600 @ 3006Mhz.
    p775 - E6400 - 10h 18m
    p775 - E6600 - 9h 5m

Datsun 1600
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    grats Thrax :)

You will have some fun and also some headaches during the overclocking sessions. Nothing worse than you have already encountered before though.
    edited August 2006
    Overclocking is a natural headache. ;D

Thanks for helping me pick parts.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited August 2006
    3 years savings for that sweet machine.. Now that's discipline folks!

How soon can we expect benches n' such?
    edited August 2006
    I've been saving four around a year, and have another to go. I plan to do a new build right before I enter college. The quad cores should be out by then.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited August 2006
    Cool beans. I should be able to afford a new setup around the time octagonal cores come out...
    edited August 2006
    DogSoldier wrote:
    3 years savings for that sweet machine.. Now that's discipline folks!

How soon can we expect benches n' such?

I'd say Saturday, more than likely.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax good to see you're finally going to have a beast running at your finger tips... Nice rig, can't wait to see images and benchmarks.

Can I ask why you got the 7950GX2? are you running a screen larger than 24"
    edited August 2006
    Thrax good to see you're finally going to have a beast running at your finger tips... Nice rig, can't wait to see images and benchmarks.

Can I ask why you got the 7950GX2? are you running a screen larger than 24"

1) It's the fastest video card on the planet.
    2) It'll HANDILY power my 21" LCD.
    3) Because I'm running at lower rezzes than the 24", I can use even more image-enhancing features at higher settings.
    4) It'll last longer into the future than a slower card.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    1) It's the fastest video card on the planet.
    2) It'll HANDILY power my 21" LCD.
    3) Because I'm running at lower rezzes than the 24", I can use even more image-enhancing features at higher settings.
    4) It'll last longer into the future than a slower card.

Sounds good... to note the 7900GTX and ATI X1900XtX are much faster than the 7950 in resolutions at 1600 x 1200 or lower. But the 7950GX2 is the better bargain for the buck... the 7950GX2 was really developed for the user who want to power huge monitors at huge res. and still maintain good FPS. I pointed this out in another thread showing the performance difference isn't much until you hit resolutions higher than 1600 x 1200.

Also to note, there are no games on the market yet that can choke the 7950GX2 as it becomes CPU bound.. this is why AMD's 4x4 system is going to own the gaming market :)
    edited August 2006
    It's as fast below 1600 when you don't turn on all the goodies. I've been living with jaggies for a long time.. Looking forward to running around everywhere with 8x+ everything.
  • edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's as fast below 1600 when you don't turn on all the goodies. I've been living with jaggies for a long time.. Looking forward to running around everywhere with 8x+ everything.
    It's a very nice vid card. I have one and I love it. Plus, if you have dual PCI Express slots, you have the possibility of running quad-SLI in the future. How's that for power! WOOO!!