Who are you?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Hi, my intrests include collecting speaker wire, nails, empty toothpaste tubes, windex bottles, and sewer lids.
    Lewicron is from Scotland. He throws sewer lids and large logs for fun!
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    see, just goes to show that S-M members have more in common than they think.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    lewicron wrote:
    Name: Lewis MacKenzie
    Nipples: 2

Hi, I'm Lewis and I've been folding for about...er...three days now. Which is pitiful, really, since I've been studying neuroscience for the past three years, so polypeptide folding is a subject close to my heart.

I come from Scotland, the greatest nation on Earth, and I live in the beautiful (cough) city of Glasgow - home of the deep-fried mars bar. My interests include painting (I used to study at the Glasgow School of Art, until they kicked me out), writing electronic music and, lately, computing.

I love my country; my fellow man; Tony Jaa; the music of Jimi Hendrix, Jason Amms and Richard D. James (among many others); the paintings of Johannes Vermeer, John Sargent and Mark Rothko (among many others); i love the taste of freshly ground arabica; the grandeur of our universe; the complex interactions of basic units from which emerge the mysteries of life; and of course, I love Barry Newman.

And yes - my upper thorax adheres to the conventional 2-nipple schematic.
    Excellent, another brit :D

You can stay :D:D
  • edited May 2006
    Hello my name is Mark,
    im 46 and live in Reno Nevada. Life to me has been 1 big rollercoaster ride (mostly downhills). I built my first car when I was 10, I worked as a machinist, mechanic, car painter, auto stereo designer, Vacuum Tech at Stanfords Linear Accelerator, carpenter, general contractor and on and on. Mechanicaly I am gifted but my head is :hair: I have traveled to Japan, Korea, Mexico.

Its always been hard to stick with anything but as I have gotten older the one remaining joy in my life has been helping others. I moved to Reno a few years ago (homeless) and ended up running a transistional housing project helping others to get back on their feet. I did that for 3 years till the Catholic church here in Reno in all their wisdom figured it was not making enough money.

A couple of years ago I helped this guy by fixing his truck. He didnt have any money but he said he had a computer shop and if I ever needed computer help to just ask. Well my last experience with computers was my VIC-20 which ended up in the closet after the second week. (lol, $1300 paperweight) So for 20 something years I was computerless. Well I looked him up and he let me hang around and watch him work. He was this huge Latino guy covered with tatoos.(im 6'1' and 500lbs) he had learned the computer trade in Prison and was so gifted in Programing (the one thing I barely know). We complemented each other cause I was good at the building part and he did the programing.
    The only problem was he seemed to have a dark cloud following him everywhere, no matter how much I tried to help he jusk kept making bad desisions till one night someone shot him. To this day I wish I had been able to steer him to a different path.

Well now I live in a house and do odd jobs to help others. Its a lot of fun and gives me a chance to help as well.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Good to have you Folding with Team 93, guys. :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    good to have you on the team,

fold for life fold for team 93
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited May 2006
    Hey, welcome to the team.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2006
    Welcome. Great to see new faces helping out on such a noble cause.:thumbsup:
  • edited July 2006
    Hello! My name is David. I joined Team 93 because Short-Media provided me with some great information in the forums that helped me fix up my computer system, so I feel a little loyalty is due from me to Short-Media.

By day, I am an Equipment Eng for a well known semiconductor company, but at quitin' time, I am transformed into a FPS Gamemaster, wreaking havoc on all those who would destroy Earth, combating evil, and laying waste to aliens in numbers so great, that on occasion, the gorefest even turns my own stomach. After securing the planet and laying down my smokin' weapons, it is time to enjoy a well deserved, hero's beer.

Okay, okay, so when I'm not in gameland or working, I practice shooting my real guns, reload my own ammunition, build computers for friends and family (along with tech support from Hell), BBQ on my giant smoker pit or grill on my Weber, landscape, spend time with my wife, new son, and hang out with my older boys, wrestle my Siberian Husky (he's tough!), and do a little woodworking. And not necessarily in that order. Oh, and spending WAY too much time in Fry's Electronics -- DAMN THEM!! Which reminds me... I should tell you that my wife refers to my computer as my "square headed girlfriend." Well, at least my "girlfriends" are folding for a good cause! :thumbsup:

Daxx
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Love your profile Daxx ;D
    He He my wife feels the same about me and my computer.
    Welcome to Team 93 buddy :cheers:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Welcome Daxx... great intro!!!! Make yourself at home... and I'm glad we could help you out. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Well, I guess better late than never.

I am seventeen years old, currently living in Enid, Oklahoma, a small little town of 50k, I attend Enid High School, where I will be starting my senior year; I currently carry a 3.84 GPA. I am taking classes that focus on my computer science/software engineering degree, such as AP Computer Science this year; I also am taking 3 hours of college classes (English) as concurrent enrollment. I plan to attend either OU or OSU the fall of '07 where I hope to major in computer science or software engineering. At school, I am on the yearbook staff where I serve as the Editor of Sports, Editor of Photography, Head Photographer, and am second in command so to speak. I am responsible for all images that are in the book, as well as making sure people are making their deadlines:ninja:

I enjoy working on computers, and have from about the age of 11 or so, when out family got our first computer (Pentium 233/win 95). I attend Cedar Ridge Wesleyan Church. I am also a member of the Great Salt Plains Council Boy Scout Troop 2. I am a life scout working on my eagle project currently, which I plan to have completed by early January.

I enjoy building and tinkering with just about anything that can be, be it programming, or rebuilding an engine. I love machine work, as well as fabrication and problem solving. I love mowing my yard and making it look pretty, landscaping in general(odd, I know). My other true hobby (besides computers) is audio/visual equipment in general, I love building speakers, be it for home or car. I like the whole design process.

I love music, which is probably why I love building speakers. Mainly Rock, a little rap sometimes. My favorite bands are probably Korn, Rob Zombie, Adema, Sum 41, Linkin Park, and Alien Ant Farm. I like going fast in my car, and my friends cars, nothing like the windows down and doing a buck twenty.:headbange I love hanging out with my friends be it chilling in the living room, or working on their cars.

I have one pet, a gray sable colored German Shepherd named Buster that weighs around 100 pounds or so, and he hates meter readers;)

That is about it, there really isn't much more to be said about me.
  • morfeumorfeu Lisbon, Portugal
    edited July 2006
    Hi

Name: Luís

Just saw the thread now, i was an active member over Icrontic Forums but since its gone i come here time to time, i still remember TBonz, LIN, Shorty and so on from the old forums and i come here to remember those times a bit.

Well, take care everyone :D

And ohh.. i still fold this this team as u can see! eheh.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2006
    I plan to attend either OU or OSU the fall of '07 where I hope to major in computer science or software engineering.

oklahoma or ohio?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Oklahoma
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited July 2006
    Hi, my name's Dean Holland. I'm 17, and live in the small university town of Loughborough, in Leicestershire, England.
    I have got the follwoing gcse's, i decided to go for a-levels, but they didn't work out:
    GNVQ (General National Vocational Qualification) - ICT - C
    Media Studies - B
    Science - C
    Humanities - C
    English Language - D
    English Literature - D

and ill update this list, once i remember the rest...
    At the moment, i am currently unemployed, and deciding whether to go back to college, and maybe onto university, or whether to stay at my current level of education, and find a permenant job.

My Father died 6 years ago of Lukemia, so folding means alot to me. I try and do as much as i possibly can, and being a member of team 93 is a privilege for me :) I would really like to hold a fund raiser for cancer research, but sadly don't really know how to go about it. thats something i can research...

I have only joined this forum today, hence the lack of posts, but i'll be visiting here regularly, and as soon as i read about the folding project, i just had to do it.

i have only just joined the 93 team, and still need to get my signature set up, and once i do, i shall try to influence my friend to join the folding revolution :)

My hobbies are trowling forums, especially this one now, as well as reading books, and talking to people on IM programs, and being with my girlfriend and my friends. I own a dog, he's called TJ, and he is wild! My biggest hobby is probably listening to music, and trying to sing along with the songs. yes, it is embarrasing, but i'll happily admit that i do it sometimes. My favourite bands are: Korn, Him, and afi. i also listen to some oldies, such as panera, def leppard, sepultura, etc, but idont limit myself to one genre of music.

I own my own forum, all exclusively about Nintendo, and their games and consoles. I'm nott oo sure if i'm allowed to put the web address here, but here goes: Nintendo Nation

i follow no religious path, and i know very little about computing, except maybe photoshop, and some software!! But never the less, i hope to be a member of this forum, and to be folding, for as long as i possibly can. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Welcome Deano!!! :clap:
    edited July 2006
    Glad to have you here, Deano. :D
  • PsycoKillrPsycoKillr Mason City, Iowa
    edited July 2006
    Hi my name's Jim Sloss (sounds like Floss)I'm 31 yrs old. I'm originally from Chicago but moved to Iowa to be with my Fiance. we have a 14 month old son named Bane. I'm very much into computers however I'm semi-computer illiterate. :o Hmmm now what do I say......ok lemme think about what to say next. I'll bbs to finish.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited July 2006
    Welcome aboard PsycoKillr :respect: Some of us move FROM Iowa - but at least you had a reason to move TO Iowa! Should be about the right time for the best sweet corn on Earth. :D Jack
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    Name: Dave
    Occupation: Was an assistant network admin until I quit so I could go to college. Now looking at Circuit City and other places for work.

I started getting into computers about two years ago when I took a few cisco classes at school. I remember the first day I walked into class and the teacher was talking about these things called routers. I ask my friend "what's a router" and then everybody in the entire class (a class of computer literates) all gave me blank stares, and then burst out laughing. I can now say that I know more about computers then probably 80% of the people in that class :buck: I'm mostly into hardware and networking. About the only programing I like is dreamweaver and flash :-/ I found short-media when searching for info on Fedora 5, and I instantly got hooked. I was very impressed with Drasnor's smart-ness, and I quickly learned that there are many people here with that same smart-ness o.O . I'm not big on games, and that's probably why I have such a crappy system..but I <3 my crappy system. I've yet to join the folding thing, mostly because I have no idea what it is.

Other stuff..I've written a 700+ page fantasy book that's pretty sweet, but nobody has read it yet :-x . I am attending DeVry University, majoring in network communications management. I love to read books even though I rarely read at all (don't really have time/can't really afford much right now). I speak German fairly well, but I'm nowhere close to fluent. I used to love talking to people about religeon and politics, but I've found that those discusions cause nothing but hard feelings for some reason..so now I keep everything private. I like pretty much every kind of music except for stuff that causes me pain in the brain area..haha. Brad Paisley is probably my favorite artist (if anybody knows who that is).

Overall I get along pretty easily with everybody, and I plan on sticking with short media for a long time so hopefully we'll all get along. :cheers:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Welcome Deano, PsycoKillr, and AlphaTrinity! :)
    edited July 2006
    So many great new teammates!

:celebrate
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I just handed out another stack of cards to my newest students, so hopefully, some of them will stop in and introduce themselves... ;)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'd like to thank all of you that have joined S-M Team 93 in Folding for a cure.
    Also a big WELCOME to Short-Media.
    Hope you all enjoy the site.
    It's a great place to call home.
    This is one bunch of great people here.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited August 2006
    Hello everyone! How's it going? I'm Paolo, I'm 20 and I live in the Bay Area in California. I work in retail (right now) at a Sunglass Hut, and I am a nursing student about to transfer into SJSU. Depsite having a job in retail (fashion at that!) and being a future healthcare giver I love computers and gaming. I run a little blog on the side and I love to travel.

I found short-media by following some random links about folding @ home. I joined team #93 and started folding about 2 days ago, then all of a sudden my computer just had a meltdown. Complete PSU failure. Funny eh? Luckily my gracious girlfriend had to build a new computer, so I am borrowing hers at the moment. Did I mention that her computer (the one I'm using is much more kick*** than mine right now?).

My old dinosaur, is a p4 2.4 northwood, with 1 gig of corsair value ram on an old Soyo Dragon Lite mobo. I have a GeForce 4 Ti 128 meg. Enclosed inside some generic ugly beige case w/ no name psu. See how old and poopy it is? But I did build that while in high school so it is alright i guess.

On the other hand, the rental computer I am using is a Asus A8n5x w/ AMD 3800+ x2, 1 gig corsair value, and a ATI radeon x850xt. But it isn't mine and I will have to return it to her, or else she will kill me for not letting her play oblivion (lol i'm playing it before she can).

Anyways, I think team #93 is great so far. Nice to meet everyone!!
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited August 2006
    Welcome to the team Paolo! Sorry to hear about your computer. How soon will you have it up and running again? I have the same CPU I think, a P4 2.4c but it's overclocked to 3.12 Ghz. I've had this system almost 3 years and have been very happy with it.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    Welcome to the team rolleggroll!:bigggrin:
  • Thunder-ThighsThunder-Thighs Flanders, NJ
    edited August 2006
    Hey everybody!! I'm Mike, 18yrs old, and going to start at Penn State in a few weeks. My current residency is Flanders, NJ. I found short-media a week or so ago while shopping for a laptop. I found Sledgehammer's review for the HP dv8000t, and I was convinced on getting that laptop. I did, and now I visit this site on a regular basis.
    I love music, especially techno/dance/trance/gangsta/drum n' bass. I enjoy making my own music as well with programs like Fruity Loops and other DJ software. I also play the trumpet in jazz bands :cool2:. I'm also an avid gamer, but I mostly play DDR (really good for excersizing) :tongue2:. Ive got a sweet car (1998 Integra) and I'm working on pimpin' it (body kit, AEM cold air intake, lowering springs, etc). Already got a nice Pioneer head unit with 4 Polk 6.5 inch speakers and two 10 inch Pioneer IMPP subs :buck:. I also enjoy cooking, mostly Italian. In the winter I love to skiblade; its like skiing but with shorter skiis so u dont use poles and you push off as if you were roller blading. I also love fireworks, even though theyre illegal in NJ , which I think is totally :bs:
    Thanks to all that have helped me out, now and in the future. Once I get settled in at college I'm gonna look into this folding project you have going on. Looks like its going to a good cause. This site is great! :D.
  • msbcmlmsbcml Kentucky
    edited August 2006
    Hello everybody! I am Charlynn, I am 22 and live in Kentucky. I heard of short-media from Instructor CB Droege. I'm in college for nursing!

My computer is a 2.8 P4 with 1gig of RAM. Nothing too fancy. But oh well... it gets me by. My laptop is a Toshiba running a Celeron M 1.5 with 256MB of RAM. Just got it this week, mainly because it has a 15.4 widescreen display. Which will be good for watching some movies. And that is all I can think of.