Short-Media.com: 6.2.03 - 6.2.07

Comments

• XZGohanXZGohan Scottsdale, Arizona Member
    edited May 2007
    jared wrote:
    we should have some sort of release party no?

Giant (temporary) IRC gathering or something of that nature?

There is still a small clique from the original apus/early icrontic that sits in an IRC channel.

Anyway, no longer active with IC but it's nice to hear.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    wb22rules wrote:
    It doesnt take much to turn it into a parking lot, like this morning when the HOV central command didnt open the gates on time :banghead:

Its good to be the boss as I dont have to worry about getting lip if I am late, but on the other hand its hard to give lip if you dont set the example. I do enjoy being the manager now (new job started January), but I95 can be trying on you :p It certainly aint a leisurely ride to Charlottesville :) I know I66 is no better ;)

I hardly drive on either as I live/work in Manassas but I will be most likely traveling on 66 or 28 when rent is up end of next month...

I may have to join mIRC to see what is going down...its been years.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    ON MY BIRTHDAY! woot june 2nd is a good day
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Wow!!!!
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Wired wrote:
    ....all of the crazy discussions @ attaboy soon after...

that's aDDaboy O.o

and might I also add, I can understand the concern that this name change would somehow harm the site here, but I think the whole tech centric site with forums has been done to death. The big major sites survived the gold rush and many many smaller sites fell by the wayside. I think (hell i know from experience) that while it may look easy to run a site, it quickly becomes a real job that you have to put many hours into and it can and did, for me, become a boring chore. you guys here are a dedicated bunch though so i'm glad to see the icrontic name will be well taken care of.

name change or no, it's the content that will make a difference, and the willingness and dedication of those behind the content to come up with fresh and new ideas to keep people tuned in and to draw in new sets of eyeballs on a daily basis.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    kanezfan wrote:
    name change or no, it's the content that will make a difference, and the willingness and dedication of those behind the content to come up with fresh and new ideas to keep people tuned in and to draw in new sets of eyeballs on a daily basis.
    Truer words were never spoken. Good to see you, Kanez.
  • edited May 2007
    wat exactly happened to icrontic to make it fail?:confused:
    edited May 2007
    good to see you keebs :D
    edited May 2007
    wat exactly happened to icrontic to make it fail?:confused:
    A well-timed question. Now finished: The Story So Far: Icrontic.com's History.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Kanez, where ya been? Good to have you back.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:

Great write up Brian. Something like this was long over due.
    edited May 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Kanez, where ya been? Good to have you back.

been playing WoW mostly. Lost interest in the hardware scene, which kinda sucks cause now i'm itching for an upgrade and i'm having to catch up lol
    edited May 2007
    jared wrote:
    Great write up Keebs. Something like this was long over due.
    Thanks - Brian wrote it, I edited.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:

I vaguely remember an SM defacing. Why not just say which Icrontic admin it was? Also, what happened to Tex? I haven't seen a new post from him in quite some time. I'm not positive, but I think Tex has more posts than anyone at Icrontic, so he was definitely a big part of the site.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    In other news, Kanez and others will be writing a piece about how WoW destroys communities :crazy::p

Hiya Kanez. How's Jakob? :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    a2jfreak wrote:
    I vaguely remember an SM defacing. Why not just say which Icrontic admin it was? Also, what happened to Tex? I haven't seen a new post from him in quite some time. I'm not positive, but I think Tex has more posts than anyone at Icrontic, so he was definitely a big part of the site.

I didn't want to give more credit to the "admin" than was due, so I left the name out. Nobody's quite sure what happened to Tex. He had some legal troubles and pretty much dropped offline about a year ago.
    edited May 2007
    kanezfan wrote:
    been playing WoW mostly. Lost interest in the hardware scene, which kinda sucks cause now i'm itching for an upgrade and i'm having to catch up lol

To catch you up: After Intel came out with an upgrade to the Pentium 4 dubbed "Prescott" AMD sat on its hands and sat and sat and sat until Intel came out with the Core CPU. AMD continued to sit on its hands until Intel came out with the Core 2 CPU that not only was noticeably faster clock-for-clock, but would often overclock well in excess of 3GHz. Oh, somewhere in there AMD released the DDR2 version of the Athlon 64 with a new socket--AM2. Performance stayed consistent with the previous part. Now AMD is soon to release its first major revision since introducing the Opteron a few years ago and it is called Barcelona or K8L depending on who you talk to. Intel is readying Penryn which is Core 2 with a die shrink and I believe a few modifications.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    That still doesn't explain where Tex went. :p

Nice to see you around here Kanezfan.
    edited May 2007
    In other news, Kanez and others will be writing a piece about how WoW destroys communities :crazy::p

Hiya Kanez. How's Jakob? :D

Not only communities, but lives, businesses, reputations. I became so addicted to WoW, that I ended traveling to Thailand, where I sold my left kidney in order to afford the monthly fee. I endured the pain of the operation without anesthesia as my guild had a scheduled raid and I didn't want to risk being kicked out of the guild for being absent. I found an internet cafe where I took up residence, serving coffee during the time I'd normally be asleep. My employer didn't mind my whacked out on caffeine look as it helped to promote his business. I remained awake for one year and two months, when my body gave out and I fell asleep for exactly 3 weeks and 4 days.

My boss fired me for sleeping on the job and I once again turned to elective surgery to maintain my WoW habit. This time I sold my left testicle. My genital area is still feeling sore but the pain feels a little better with each Epic I win when raiding Karazhan, Gruul's Lair, and Serpentshrine Cavern.

OK so yeah WoW messes people up some, but I've been in Florida this whole time I swear hahah. Jake is turning 2 on May 31, and we're having his birthday party this Sunday. He is the greatest thing ever. And sure kids are hard on you, but there is no greater joy in this messed up world we live in right now then when we put him to sleep at night and he rolls over to snuggle you as he falls asleep. That is, to me, the simplest and greatest, most wonderful part of my day, bar none.
    edited May 2007
    And hi to everybody btw, and thanks for the hellos too
    edited May 2007
    I didn't want to give more credit to the "admin" than was due, so I left the name out.

I can understand and appreciate that, but I also think if a history of Icrontic/SM is being given, that information could be of some import.

Not a huge deal, though.

I remember visiting Icrontic for a couple of years before before I joined the forums. I don't recall exactly how long I had been a member of the forums before IC was hacked, but I think it was approximately 1-2 weeks.

Icrontic, AnandTech, OCWorkbench, HardOCP, those were a few of my "Daily Stops." I personally don't care about the name of the site, Short-Media or Icrontic as it's the people not the name that make a site worth visiting. I will say it's nice to think Icrontic could be brought back especially since I always thought the name "Icrontic" was nice, but at the same time I think it's a bit disappointing to see Short-Media exit the scene.

On to the future.
    edited May 2007
    kanezfan wrote:
    He is the greatest thing ever. And sure kids are hard on you, but there is no greater joy in this messed up world we live in right now then when we put him to sleep at night and he rolls over to snuggle you as he falls asleep. That is, to me, the simplest and greatest, most wonderful part of my day, bar none.

Truth!

I have four children now, two through marriage and two by blood. My two daughters were born approximately 16 months apart. July 18, 2005 and November 21, 2006. The love I have for them is indescribable. Having my oldest daughter rest her head against me and run to me melts my heart. Hearing her say "OK" and "Alright" in response to my saying something to her feels unbelievable. Having her say "I love you, too" back to me or my wife after we've told her we love her is almost too much for me to handle at times. Watching her interact with her two older brothers and with her younger sister fills me with feelings of love and happiness I know only a parent can understand. Parenthood is the most wonderful gift God gave us aside from Christ.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited May 2007
    I like our banner more than theirs. I also like our layout more.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Neither layout is remaining when the merger happens.
    edited May 2007
    Both get better. :cool:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited May 2007
    I learned how to build my first computer on Icrontic. This was back in PIII days. Built a duron 600mghz system and thought I was king sh*& overclocking it to 900mghz. I'm thinking it was 7 years ago that I first found it. Every now and then I go and just take a look around, just for old times sake. The people were great, the vibe was great, and the news/front page was out of this world. It had the right mix of hardware, science, and in someways junk science that had me check the front page 10 times a day at least. It was entertaining and stimulating. I found some off that here.

Based off the past couple of years you can't do anything worse with the Icrontic name but if you're going to do this Pulease bring back interesting daily news. Hell or just regular news.

Anyways, congrats on the merger and I have high hopes.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Hehe I was on the day meepins fubared the site pretty good....I was holy **** ******!......click a new link....ahhh...its gone...oh **** that link is ****** now too!!.....OMG its not a mistake. SM is being hacked as a browse it. Soon enough everything went to that god aweful picture....which is a female btw.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    if i recall SM became goatxx for a day haha
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    GOAT SE DOT CX goooooo
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Watch the Flash video announcement (with sound, 480KB, under 2 min.) or download the exe (Windows Projector, 2.8 MB).

I just watched the flash. That was pretty good.