Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    NFSU.jpg
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
  • ze_merovingianze_merovingian de+roi+, via highland park, via MTL
    edited November 2003
    so I take that you guys are winning with these "cute" cars... hehe. j/k, the s2000 is aight, so is the rx-8... my fav is the Supra. is there a R34 Skyline GT-R on this game?
    edited November 2003
    Yes, the R34 is in the game.
    edited November 2003
    mmmm, R34... yummy!

the US version is the G35 coupe
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Uh.... :confused:

I'm afraid you may be confused... the G35 is not the US version of the Skyline; there is no US-spec Skyline, and the G35 isn't even close to a passable substitute...
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited November 2003
    2k4 Skyline should come to America. Don't have any pics offhand, but it looks nothing like the traditional Skyline.
    edited November 2003
    It's got 4 doors. Blech!

The closest thing we have to the Skyline in the U.S. would be either an old 3000GT VR-4 or a Porsche Carrera 4.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    AFIK, classic skylines had 4 doors. Old skool ones are dead sexy with the fender mounted mirrors.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2003
    you know whats a fun racing game? i've only played it in the arcade but...

Wangan Midnight!

any thoughts?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    i was using the GTi, but then it just couldnt hang...
    edited November 2003
    I've found that the Miata is the best car in the game (overall), once you have access to the level 2/3 mods. It handles far better than anything else in the game, to the point where you can go around corners 20mph+ faster than you could in say, the Skyline.

However, it's also too lightweight to be easy to drive that fast; above 160mph, it gets unsettled really, really easily, and it's not easy to drive with the keyboard (my wheel's ps is broken...).

The Skyline is the car that I end up using most, though, since it's not much slower than the Miata, and it's heavy enough that it responds relatively slowly, which makes it easier for me to drive with the keyboard...

The Miata is great for drift tracks, tho. So, in point of fact, is the Subaru, but the Miata is better, if you can control it. Your best bet with drift tracks (at least with the keyboard... when I get my wheel fixed, I'll see if it's any different) is to use the miata, but dump the turbo, and back down the other engine/drivetrain mods to level 1 or stock, but leave the suspension and tires at the highest level you have available.
    edited November 2003
    Haven't unlocked the Eclipse eh?

It's heavier than the Miata, has better acceleration, top end, and handling. Takes corners like a rocket, rocks in drag, drift, and general course-use.

I switch it out with the S2000 when the tracks are fairly straight.
    edited November 2003
    rrrrrrrrr, the Infiniti G35 IS the stripped down Nissan Skyline. Have u seen the 4-wheel drive version that is due this winter? better go check those back issues of Super Street and Sport Compact Car... and NO it is not the Fairlady 350Z
    edited December 2003
    aight then, check this out... the g35 was just sent to US as a test, did well enough to send us ANOTHER stripped down ride that will wear GT-R badges... calling it the Skyline (lite)... argh! I would never claim to call the g35 a g34, nuh uh!!!
    edited December 2003
    Thrax, I've unlocked the Eclipse, and I don't like it all that much. I've found that the Miata handles far better. But then, like I said... I'm stuck on the keyboard. When I get my wheel fixed (which will be whenever I get around to getting a PS for it) I'll try it again, but so far, I don't like it much.

ze_merovingian, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. the Infiniti G35/Nissan 350Z is a totally different car from the R34 Skyline. They aren't built on the same chassis, and they share no parts AFAIK (But I don't keep track of Nissan's stuff all that well); The Skyline is an outstanding car. The G35/350Z, on the other hand... as far as I'm concerned, they're overweight, underperforming excuses for sports cars. They're decent GTs, but they do not qualify as sports cars, and they're kind of ugly to boot.
  • edited December 2003
    croc_ had this to say

there is one cheap down the street at a used lot, but it is an automatic convertible, yuk. And well ... I jsut bought a new car, so I don't really have the money for another one yet.

I understand completely. I've almost owned a Supra and a RX7- FC but I'm still paying off my jeep so I didn't have the money to do it.

panzerkw had this to say
    I might have to rent NFS to try it out. For me the online racing is the most attractive part of it. The next version of GT will really rock the house being able to race the world.

It might pull me away from Xenosaga for a few hours.

Sigh, what a complete waste of time Xenosaga was. I took me forever to beat because I was stuck near the end and couldn't beat a boss. It made little sense and the ending was horrible. It was like watching some show on tv and having them place a to be continued crap in it during the middle of the show. Xenogears, although a little on the old side, was a hell of a lot better. I think it's just because they are trying to not violate the copyright Square-Enix has on Xenogears that made Xenosaga suck... or maybe it could have been the endless cutscene after cutscene and little gameplay....

anyways i might get underground, what systems is it on?
    edited December 2003
    PS2, PC
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Have you drifted the Celica? I personally love to drift the Celica because it gets ass out so easy. With a bit of practice, you can constantly get it to swing over the white lines for long slides and rack up serious points.

You're totally right about the Miata. It handles great but when it gets even a love tap from another car it spins out like a beast. That and the Miata's 5th gear isn't that great. We dropped it in favor of the RSX because it doesn't flip out when you tap stuff and it drags really well.

In my game, I'm still loving the Puegot. It's a fun car, but it oversteers like nobody's business.
    edited December 2003
    The Celica is better than the RSX, IMO. The RSX's gearing is too tall. Who cares if it can do 200MPH? It'll never reach that speed on any of the tracks in the game (at least I haven't seen it).

I can't recall drifting in it very much... I don't use front wheel drive cars for drifting as a general rule (fwd usually = understeer; understeer = bad). RWD is best just in terms of sheer oversteer capabilities, but the problem that I've encountered is that drifting with the keyboard requires that I pay a lot of attention to where I'm going, with the result being that I neglect the speedometer and shifting (I've had to use an auto for drifting), which is a bad thing because it means I have a tendency to run into stuff. A lot. Usually hard. This is exacerbated by a high-power RWD car; the miata in a stock state of engine tune with an upgraded suspension/tire package performs very well; the Subaru, as stated, actually will pull itself out of bass-ackward slides far better than any other car in the game, including the other 4wd cars (Skyline, Eclipse, maybe the 206... not sure about that one)

So basically, what I've found is:
    General use:
    Skyline or Miata are your best choices

Drift tracks:
    Miata, RX-7, Supra, Subaru, possibly the S2000 (haven't tried it), the 206, the RSX and the Celica all do well; the Miata is the best choice, tho.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited December 2003
    For the Skyline/Infiniti discussion:

Nissan Skyline V35 / Infiniti G35
    V35%20Silver%20front%20left.jpg
    Introduced on June 15th, 2001, the Skyline V35 series marks a radical step away from previous Skylines with extensive changes in the design and engineering departments. The new car is available in four versions: 300 GT, 250 GT, 250 GT Four and 250 Gte, with the 250GTe being the least expensive model and the 300GT marking the top of the line. Nissan finally plans to bring the Skyline to international markets, where it is to compete against the Lexus IS 300, BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class primarily in the form of the Infiniti G35. Thus, originality and quality were high on the list of requirements for the new series. As a result, the rather edgy design of the R34 series was dropped in favor of a design with smooth and understated lines and an ultra low drag-co-efficient (cd) of 0.27. Shorter front- and rear-over-hangs make for a more dynamic appearance. With 4675mm of length and a wheel-base of 2850mm, the V35 is among the biggest cars in its class, although it is about 30mm shorter than its predecessor. Also gone are the characteristic round taillights, which are replaced by something rather BMW-like. Although very different to previous Skyline generations, Nissan hopes the new look will appeal more to young customers and old Skyline-fans alike.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    If the I6, twin turbo Skyline came to America (which it won't.. emission laws and all. Not to mention they're fast as %&$#, capable of much more than most American domestic and imported cars), they'd get saturated and wouldn't be all too grand anymore. Skylines deserve to be rare, cause they're just that cool :)
    edited December 2003
    ze_merovingian, my mistake. I apologize. Like I said, I don't keep up with Nissan all that well.

Regardless, I said it when Nissan displayed the Skyline/G35 concept, and I'll say again now: A 4 door Skyline is just plain phucked up. Calling the G35 a Skyline is a real good way to alienate a lot of people (myself included). The R34 was an awesome car. The new one is, uh, not.
  • edited December 2003
    Well, I loved the demo... and I have been looking for something different to play.

After reading over this thread, I'd say that sometime this weekend I'm going to pick up a copy of Underground, and a USB-to-Gameport converter for my wheel.
    edited December 2003
    croc, thanx for the pic and info on the v35/g35...

Geeky1, no problem... I did not make myself clear enough either. You're also right about the g35 being called a Skyline... yep, we have been alienated by the G35... maybe I'm just caught up in the idea of maybe someday being able to own a Skyline for the insane US price of $85k... might as well get a Porsche 911.

"And now I have some real business to attend to, so I will say adieu and goodbye... ":wave:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I just bought it and played a bit i love it! now with my saitek wireless controller its sweet i sit on my bed and play. I just gotta unlock some things
    edited December 2003
    out of all of the cars... street, road, f1, concept, etc. I still love the Supra.. it kicks arse... well balanced, quick, fast, handles well, chicks dig it.
    edited December 2003
    What... the... hell... happened to the hood on that poor Supra?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited December 2003
    I believe they call it "rice"
    edited December 2003
    rice huh? so what the hell do you call some rehabed former mullet/jheri-curl wearning clown, rockin' a camaro with Altezza tail lights? Or better yet, how about this!?!?