road/street racing geek

124»

Comments

• panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    Here I tested both racing car versions, Viper Team Oreca and Corvette C5R, I threw in the Camaro Race Car too since I happened to own it. All stock, grip racing.

Laguna Seca

Viper GTS-R Team Oreca (588bhp): 1:18.284
    Corvette C5R (610bhp): 1:18.934
    Camaro Race Car (592bhp): 1:19.244

Midfield Raceway

Viper: 1:09.632
    Corvette: 1:09.770
    Camaro: 1:10.420

The Viper and Corvette are evenly matched. They both weight almost the same and the power difference is little. The Viper has fatter tires though (larger tracks from and rear) so it gives it a slight cornering advantage.

The Camaro is just too benign in handling (can't throw it around as much than with the Viper or C5R) to really hang with the other two.

EDIT: Again this is all with stock settings, suspension adjustments would correct the Camaro's faults, and a tighter transmission would allow the C5R to oversteer a bit more. The Viper seems pretty balanced.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    I've actually set up my R34 Skyline with a 10% front/90% rear torque bias... and it has ~1000hp. Torque goooooooooooood :D
    edited December 2003
    If you like Skyline's you should get the Calsonic JGTC version.

With stock power of only 461bhp:
    Laguna Seca - 1:20.505
    Midfield Raceway - 1:11.681

So a car with >100HP less than the American cars is only losing by a couple of seconds on the twisty circuits and a little more where the american cars' higher power lets them get out on the straightaway better. This is even before you've taken it to the tuning shop.

So against lesser racers you could embarass the american cars with a moderately tuned Calsonic Skyline.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    The skyline is nice, but it understeers too much for me. My favorite car so far is the Pagani Zonda C12S (or whichever the most expensive non-race-prepped one is)

It's got a Mercedes V12 in it, and fully tuned it's good for >1000hp. It's rear wheel drive, and it's fast as hell. My record is something like 265MPH on the test track. I could go faster, too, but I run out of road. The car is still accelerating @ 265mph :eek:

It doesn't oversteer nearly as much as I'd like, so it's handling isn't all that great, but still... Mercedes V12 with 1000HP+ :D
    edited December 2003
    Yet more embarassment for the american GT cars

Castrol Tom's Supra (464bhp)

Laguna Seca - 1:20.085
    Midfield Raceway - 1:10.087

EDIT: The Calsonic Skyline is rear wheel drive only (along with all the JGTC cars)

Now I need to get one the NSX JGTC cars and see how they go (ARTA NSX hopefully)
  • ze_merovingianze_merovingian de+roi+, via highland park, via MTL
    edited December 2003
    sorry for the slow response... holiday crunch.

anyway, if Santa says I was a good boy... keep your rides hard tuned... a little ps2 online racing may be in the near future with GT4 coming in a few weeks. happy holidays kids!!!

"And now I have some real business to attend to, so I will say adieu and goodbye... "
    :wave: