HELP! Asus A7N8X-LA bios needed

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ???

That's very vague. You actually heard the sound, "bang?" The computer stalled ("froze") while you were downloading? Please be descriptive and I'm sure we can help.

No froze and wont boot anything from the recovery disks and when i try a windows disk it says that a file is needed and it wont let me do anything with it
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Is one of your recover disks just Windows XP without all the factory brand garbage? If you can access the WinXP installation portion alone, you could try a Windows XP "repair" installation.
  • edited July 2006
    i downloded the critical update of the compaq website when i restarted the computer it would not boot it said windows has been shut down to prevent damage

after reading this fourm many people had the same trouble with that update and i need to find out how to reset the bois to its original version or undo what ever it was that i done
  • edited July 2006
    when i put the recover disk in it starts up recovery then stalls then when i try a windows disk it says file missing or was to be shut down it doesnt let me go any further
  • edited July 2006
    that doesnt work either, its driving me nuts compaq wont help
  • edited July 2006
    Here is a site by HP that the spec of the motherboard can be found

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=311249&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00006476#N1004

then when i go to the manufacture website there is no "LA" version of the bios

Please Help

Adam
  • edited August 2006
    killbios used to work wonders for OEM lockouts like this. But it just doesn't work on the new Bios' some one needs to write a new one for the new roms..
  • voltavolta Pennsylvania
    edited September 2006
    Wow, I just learned the hard way that what works for many won't necessarily work for me. I had recently updated to the bios version 3.21. Overall, it was working ok, but after reading that 3.07 was better I tried to rollback using the flash file from page 4, hoping this might solve some problems I'd been having. Going to 3.07 made sense since the sticker on the chip says "Explorer2 V. 3.07". Well, now I can't boot up. Everything seems to be getting power—the cd drives open and shut and all the fans are spinning—but the green and orange lights on the front aren't showing the normal bootup flickering pattern. Usually the green light disappears after a second. And the monitor isn't getting a signal.

I already tried removing the battery as well as the chip for several hours, so far to no avail. Since it's an AMI chip, the best solution would seem to be to put the 3.21 bios on a floppy under the name amiboot.rom and go from there, but of course it's only available from HP as an executable.

Hopefully someone can figure out where I went wrong. If you can do that or supply me with the actual bios file, I'll be in your debt.
  • voltavolta Pennsylvania
    edited September 2006
    I got the 3.21 bios and tried the amiboot.rom routine, but it seems that the floppy drive isn't even being read.
  • edited September 2006
    Lo man....

U CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE STILL ASKS ME FOR 3.07 BIOS!!!

It's some time that I've lost it. Fortunately I've seen that someone else has this version in our forum!

But now I've the 3.04 version available...if U need It, no matter if You ask me!

always: danitroncone (at) hotmail.com

Enjoy &...

HP ALWAYS BULLXXXX:grumble:

[EDIT by Leonardo] Danitron, I edited the "@" out of your email address. There are bots crawling the Internet looking for email addresses. You should never post your email address in complete form in a publicly viewable page.
  • edited September 2006
    hii i got the same truble ... pc t250.be hp freezed evry time i start an aplication

srr for my bad english but im from belgium ;)

can plz send me sombody that good bios 3.04 or 3.07 file i need it so badly its dryving me nuts!

[email]theox.christophe (at) gmail.com[/email]

ty very mutch !

btw danitroncone (at) hotmail.com he is not replying on my mails from a week ago so pleas help me

ty
  • edited November 2006
    here is the bios dump from my a7n8x-la. the sticker on the bios chip says its a focus v3.07 .Here is the bin file for any who need it.

http://members.shaw.ca/hepting/a7n8x-laFocusv3.07HP.zip
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks Leonardo!
  • edited December 2006
    Hi im working on a computer with this motherbored in it atm and im having trouble installing new ram, this ram is running at 400mhz, when i install this memory and try to run windows it blue screens and has an error:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

then it continues to dump memory

i have bios version 3.07
    windows xp pro sp2
    and an amd athon 2600+

what could be causing this problem

thanks
    TODDF
  • edited December 2006
    Dunno, but when i've tried to change some hardware components in my "OLD" PC, it either didn't worked well. Just an Elixir DDR400 512MB gave no problems. Video card NVidia FX5000 not worked on HP MoBo, so: I HATE HP!!!
  • edited December 2006
    wow, I can't believe how popular this thread is (thanks google!)

I have a 2 part question. I own a 3 year old HP (a220n) that uses this same MOBO. I'm curious if you can use 2GB of RAM also what is the max size CPU I can install? Currently it has the 2600+. I was wondering will this MOBO accommodate the entire line of AMD XP CPU's? I was hoping I could yank the 2600 and install a 3800 or even bigger.

FYI, it looks like the latest BIOS update is 3.21 according to HP.

(EDIT: Crap I'm not allowed to post links :rant: ) If you do a search for the a220n and look in the Software & Driver Downloads section you will easily see it.

I installed this update long before coming across this thread and I can tell you my PC is more stable. I even have a NVidia 7600GS 256MB AGP video card with no problems.
  • edited December 2006
    Well, from the size of this thread, I guess I'm not the only one having problems...

I have an HP a320n that I made the mistake of flashing with 3.12, resulting in a heavy doorstop.

Since it doesn't POST and the floppy doesn't work, I think I'm stuck with buying a new BIOS chip or a new motherboard...

Can somebody post the BIOS image file from the 3.21 version? All HP has is those infernal windows .exe updates!

thanks
  • edited January 2007
    Hi,

i have a HP Pavilion a339.pt and... 3.21 killed it.
    No blue big power on light, just the CPU fan spins like hell. PC totally unusable.
    Upgrading to 3.12 was a big mistake too. Started crashing and stalling like hell, essencially when using Second Life. I think it was related to system fan running too low. The 3.12 BIOS options suck. You can control nothing.

I changed video card but the problem kept on, and reinserted the 9200 original one. Then i was sure it should be the Power Supply. Bought a new one. Changed it: same problem. Damn !!!

Yesterday, in the HP site i saw the 3.21 BIOS. It is marked as critical update. I did it. Restarted... and nothing. Unusable PC. It just spins the system fan, nothing more. Cant even test video, floppy, hd, ... nothing.

Tomorrow i will call HP and i will ask for a totally FREE and QUICK fix of the problem!!! I am furious about this !! This is a working machine. I'll post here the call.

--
    pedro a339.pt
  • edited January 2007
    I feel your pain. I had a working a320n I was going to give to a friend, and the damn 3.21 BIOS "critical" update turned the system into a friggin' doorstop.

I then ordered a new BIOS chip from badflash[dot]com, and while I can now boot and get into the BIOS setup, it won't boot into the OS. ARRRGH. I think it's because the BIOS is reporting the wrong CPU/FSB speed, but I'm not sure.

Someone at HP definatlely needs to be fired... the BIOS updates and/or update utility is severely broken.

:banghead:
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to the world of proprietary hardware (and firmware for that matter)!

This is more of a problem w/ laptops in general. However, HP is one of the worst offenders in my experience. :hrm: grrrrr
  • edited November 2007
    Hello everyone,

For those who are facing this issue and wish to go back to version 3.07... I have a compiled a wonderful solution..

I made a bootable dos cd-rom... including the AMI flash bios utility.. and the 3.07 bios rom file.

command after loaded wil be afudos 307.ROM /p /c

I just did this to my system, I was currently running version 3.12 (worst bios i've ever worked with) and now version 3.07

If you need the file, please message me and we'll figure out how to get it to you

on a side note... I found someone's dump'd bios file of version 3.07 while i was searching for solutions... that is also included as dumped.bin if you feel adventurious. the 307.ROM file is actually from HP... I extracted their dumb windows-only install file SP240001.exe and pulled the ROM from it.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    The BIOS UPDATE FOR THIS MAINBOARD IS AVAILABLE FROM THE hp WEBSITE,THEY HAVE AN ONLINE SCANNER THAT WILL ALSO DETECT WHAT DRIVES ARE REQUIRED.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    OOOPS sorry about the caps,You can flash the BIOS by removing the battery for one min then replace.This will reset the BIOS and remove last BIOS password.Each time you remove the battery it flashes the BIOS.The BIOS update is completely free from HP.Most good computer companys have a support site to download free drives.
  • edited May 2008
    Hi

I need this ROM file as well, I managed to kill the Motheboard in my A35e by loading 3.21 (can't get it to display any more)

Please send me a copy

thanks

Sherby24501
    promise239 wrote:
    Hello everyone,

For those who are facing this issue and wish to go back to version 3.07... I have a compiled a wonderful solution..

I made a bootable dos cd-rom... including the AMI flash bios utility.. and the 3.07 bios rom file.

command after loaded wil be afudos 307.ROM /p /c

I just did this to my system, I was currently running version 3.12 (worst bios i've ever worked with) and now version 3.07

If you need the file, please message me and we'll figure out how to get it to you

on a side note... I found someone's dump'd bios file of version 3.07 while i was searching for solutions... that is also included as dumped.bin if you feel adventurious. the 307.ROM file is actually from HP... I extracted their dumb windows-only install file SP240001.exe and pulled the ROM from it.
  • edited June 2008
    Here is one more guy with a "asus a7n8x-la" motherboard (according to the Everest software), mounted in a HP Pavilion t270.se

I'm not really all that interested in overclocking the cpu myself. But I would like to access the "hidden" ports at the back of the computer.

Apparently my board has built in graphics as well as built in audio, but both of these features have their ports hidden on the back, by small plastic caps with the text "do not remove" printed on top of them.

In the HP bios there are no options regarding these hidden ports what so ever.

If anyone out there on the magnificent world wide web :cool: should have successfully gotten these ports to function somehow, I sure would like to know how.

Gosh, I wish I knew how to modify or "hack" bios firmware myself, cous I have a gutt feeling that it wouldn't be very hard at all to unlock these hidden bios functions... but then again, everything is easy if you know how to do it :D
  • edited June 2008
    Hi

I need this ROM file as well, I managed to kill the Motheboard in my A35e by loading 3.21 (can't get it to display any more)

Please send me a copy

thanks

Sherby24501

Hello everyone, I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I'm going to try attaching the 307.rom file that everyone seems to need. At any rate, I had to upload it as an .ODT file, just rename the file extension to .ROM after you download and save it.
  • edited November 2008
    Hi Folks,

I am trying help a Buddy with his A7N8X-LA installed in an HP Pavillion a430n. He had a Trojan / Worm / Virus corrupt his machine so I reimaged it (using a Ghost I made when I replaced the Operating System a year ago).

Everything was fine except it lost about an hour on the clock. On the HP Web Site it said to upgrade the Bios when you run into this issue with XP. (I usually just change the battery:().

However there was no Bios upgrade on the a430n page, so I googled the A7N8X-LA Motherboard. The first hit was back to HP but on the a220n page as it too has the infamous A7N8X-LA. The Software/driver page has a Windows install "Critical" 3.21 Bios upgrade so I thought I was home free.

I flashed it as instructed (routine) and the PC rebooted. I could hear the fans going but no video output. I waited 5 minutes but still nothing. I rebooted and got more nothing.

If you have any solutions or ideas please advise. (By the way, I emailed HP and they first accused me of flashing the wrong motherboard and then advised me to take it to an authorised HP service center in the USA (I'm in Canada and had told them that in my email .)

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim:cool:
  • edited January 2009
    -Jim- wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I am trying help a Buddy with his A7N8X-LA installed in an HP Pavillion a430n. He had a Trojan / Worm / Virus corrupt his machine so I reimaged it (using a Ghost I made when I replaced the Operating System a year ago).

Everything was fine except it lost about an hour on the clock. On the HP Web Site it said to upgrade the Bios when you run into this issue with XP. (I usually just change the battery:().

However there was no Bios upgrade on the a430n page, so I googled the A7N8X-LA Motherboard. The first hit was back to HP but on the a220n page as it too has the infamous A7N8X-LA. The Software/driver page has a Windows install "Critical" 3.21 Bios upgrade so I thought I was home free.

I flashed it as instructed (routine) and the PC rebooted. I could hear the fans going but no video output. I waited 5 minutes but still nothing. I rebooted and got more nothing.

If you have any solutions or ideas please advise. (By the way, I emailed HP and they first accused me of flashing the wrong motherboard and then advised me to take it to an authorised HP service center in the USA (I'm in Canada and had told them that in my email .)

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim:cool:

:hair: 2 years passed by & someone still download 3.12...

Read the thread :coffee:
  • edited January 2009
    I gave up and my Buddy bought a new MotherBoard. I have a friend who is an autorised HP repair guy and he told me we were hooped. The only other option was to buy a flashed Bios Chip but it costs about the same as a motherboard so we went that route.

Thanks for readin...
  • edited February 2009
    -Jim- wrote:
    I gave up and my Buddy bought a new MotherBoard. I have a friend who is an autorised HP repair guy and he told me we were hooped. The only other option was to buy a flashed Bios Chip but it costs about the same as a motherboard so we went that route.

Thanks for readin...

Hey sorry I did not find this forum before. I may be able to help you and it will not cost the price of a new board.
    I have a lot of experience with these damm boards, Which is why i bought an Eprom programmer
    If you can send me the bios chip I will reprogram for the cost of postage plus 5 bucks. If your interested just send me a message and we can discuss it further.