HELP! Asus A7N8X-LA bios needed

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    You may have messed up your BIOS chip. Still though, try removing the battery for a couple hours, or even overnight. If that still doesn't work, it sounds like you may need a BIOS chip replacement, which is MUCH LESS expensive than $250. There are a couple businesses that can send you a new BIOS chip with the BIOS of your choice pre-loaded on it. I've had to do this before.

Keep in contact with us. We'll keep working with you.
  • edited August 2005
    Yea, i know its much less. I'm thinking of getting a new Mobo just in case, any ideas what can replace the old one? I know sizewise i'll need to get something small..but i also read somewhere taht HP/Compaq makes some weird connectors taht will only fit their mobos.
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    Hello ILYAGC,

Welcome to the 3.12 club !!

I updated 3.7 =>3.12 about 6 months ago, and saw pretty sooon that it was a very bad idea.

Luckily I found the 3.7 on the net and was able to got back. The file is called sp24001.exe.

Two weeks ago, I saw 3.12 again in the HP driver update page, described as a CRITICAL update.

I said to myself that this serious global company must have fixed the update on the sly ( OK, let's say "discreetly"), so I downloaded it again and Merde !(as we say over here) the same screw-up again.

The problem seems to lie in the fact that there are several variants of the A7N8-LA: FOCUS, ESCAPE, EXPLORE...see this link for the specs:

http://search.hp.com/gwuseng/query.html?qt=a7n8x-la

Probably, 3.12 works for one of them, but not mine, or yours.

Anyway, to continue MY story, this time I couldn't find the SP24001.exe to go back. There is a suggestion here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topichttp://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&cc=us&lang=en&qt=a7n8x-la&la=en/45302/?o=20

LOOK for Morten.

I couldn't make this work, so I found another BIOS update after this search

http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&cc=us&lang=en&qt=a7n8x-la&la=en

I found an update to 3.21 (SP26390.exe), installed it and fried the bacon !

MB completely dead.

Looking for a replacement MB, most people recommend the A7N8X-VM or VM/400., but these don't have Firewire and TV i/o. Also, a lot of people RECommended these alternatives, but I never got anybody who has actually DONE it successfully..

The (hopefully) happy ending for me is that after complaining to HP, they have taken my box away for free repair - I'm really interested to see what BIOS they're going to give me .

Maybe you should contact HP as well - I used the email contact option on their site. They seem to know about the problem ( as I told them, all you have to do is google 'a7n8x-la' and '3.12' to see that folks ain't happy).

The disgraceful thing is that they don't make a statement about it.

Yeah, contact HP, and tell them that you're ANOTHER one of the people who has been messed up by their official, critical and truely f&u&c&k&e&d-up BIOS update.

Hope this helps - keep us posted !
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks for help, but looks like the 3.12 fried my mobo. The fans still spin and some lights light up green on it, but the front power LED doesnt...only orange one lights up, and green blinks when powering off. Called HP yesterday, talked to them. Was told that my 1 year warranty is no longer available (exp. April 2005) and only thing they can do is give me $40 warranty for software, not hardware.

My question to you is, your computer still under warranty? If not, please let me know how you got them to fix your unit. Do you send it in or drop off at local HP repairs? I'm leaving country for 3 weeks, so would be nice if they could get it fixed.

Also, like I said, thinking of getting new mobo. Will I need to format my HDD if I get another ASUS mobo? I would REALLY hate to loose 180+ Gb of info (and my parents will kill me :( )
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    No, my computer's guarantee ran out 6 months ago. I complained to HP via email and on-line chat with technician several times.

They picked the computer up at my door and will return it there.

I don't see any reason why you should have to reformat the HDD with a new MB, but I've never done it !
  • edited August 2005
    :o can you please give me link/email which you used? I can look around, but want to make sure I use the right one and not run around website looking for it. thnkx
    edited August 2005
    The fans still spin and some lights light up green on it, but the front power LED doesnt...only orange one lights up, and green blinks when powering off.
    Are you referring to lights on the bezel (computer's front) or lights on the motherboard? On the bezel, orange usually means power, green means hard drives are being accessed. I am not convinced yet that there's anything wrong with your motherboard other than a bad instruction set coming from the screwed up BIOS.
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    You can chat with an online technician or email from this link:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Make sure to let them know that you know you're not alone by telling them to google 'a7n8x-la' and '3.12', if they doubt that there's a problem.

If the on-line chat technician tries to fob you off, something like " I can see you're new to the job - please pass me to someone competent" often works. If you get cut off, restart another session. You should be emailed a transcript of the chat session afterwards.
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    And don't forget to underline the fact that the 3.12 update is listed on official HP sites not as "recommended", but "critical".

This is what makes HP's lack of a statement on the subject so disgraceful.

Maybe they're afraid of a class action ?
  • edited August 2005
    Well, the lights on mobo light up. And before that, when comp was working, i never had that orange light in the front, only the Green ( | ) light was one (the power button).

Here's the email i got from HP:
    Dear Ilya,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you have performed a BIOS update in the Presario. Now,
    the Presario doesn't boot.

In this situation, you need to contact the nearest Authorized Service
    Provider. The BIOS update in the Web site is a generic update for the
    SR1050NX model. There are different motherboard configurations used in
    this series. Before performing a BIOS update you need to check the BIOS
    screen in the Presario for similar software code.

Unless this code match with the one in the Presario. That update cannot
    be performed in the system.

Please follow the steps listed below for assistance in locating a local
    HP Authorized Support Provider.

1. Go to the following Web site:

http://hp.infonow.net/bin/findNow?CLIENT_ID=HP_LOC_USA_SRV

This will take you to the find a US local HP authorized service
    provider page.

2. In the category menu select the appropriate HP product.

3. After selecting the appropriate category you will get a list of HP
    products in the Family box. Select the family in which your
    product is located.

4. After Selecting the family of the product you will get a list of
    products under the product list.

5. Select your product from the list under the product section and
    click Next.

6. Follow the instructions on the service options page.

If no stores are located, repeat the search using another zip code
    within your local area.

Sure, the information will assist you in this situation.

Sincerely,

Shree
    HP Total Care

=========================

I went to this website and it gave me some options...is MicroCenter HP repair store or something?
  • edited November 2005
    tra wrote:
    The (hopefully) happy ending for me is that after complaining to HP, they have taken my box away for free repair - I'm really interested to see what BIOS they're going to give me .

Hi Tra,

From what you said in your posts I would say that we are from the same country, except if you're from Belgium, or Switzerland, which is less likely, from a statistical point of view :D . I am in the same situation as you, except that I have been lucky enough to be warned from posts like yours NOT to upgrade to 3.21. Instead I downgraded to 3.07 and it seems to work well.

Anyway, I wrote to HP too, pointing some Google evidence about how suspicious their 3.12 is, and didn't tell them that I downgraded to 3.07. Finally, they told me to put my computer in a box and that HP is going to take it back for repair... which I certainly won't accept without good reasons. Last time you posted here, you were waiting to get your computer back from HP: I'm pretty sure they gave you a booting computer, but finally, did they give you a 3.12 BIOS, or anything else?

Regards,

Olivier
  • tratra
    edited November 2005
    I live in France - they collected my computer at the door and brought it back in working order. They even replaced ( for free) the noisy hard disk.

AND THE "new" BIOS....

was 3.7 ! :eek:
  • tratra
    edited November 2005
    By the way, you "downgraded to 3.7" Downgraded from what ?
  • edited November 2005
    tra wrote:
    By the way, you "downgraded to 3.7" Downgraded from what ?

I'm from France too btw, and I downgraded from 3.12... and I told HP I did not want them to take my computer back, since going back to 3.7 worked fine. I told them removing the 3.12 version from their web page would be a good idea too, and they replied they would. Well, of course maybe I could have had a new disk, and maybe even a new mobo too, but it was too uncertain for me to accept this deal. Moreover, I'm not sure HP always installs new hardware as a replacement for (incorrectly presumably) broken one!
    edited November 2005
    I'm from France too btw
    Your English is very good. Oh, and yes, welcome to Short-Media. Although we are primarily North American in membership, we have quite a number of European members as well.
    edited November 2005
    This must be a very common problem with the given hardware setup. Look, nearly 13,000 hits on this thread! :eek:
  • tratra
    edited November 2005
    We're on the World Wide Web here, Leonardo - I don't know what where one lives has to do with it, especially on a tech site.

ANYWAY, back to business.

The 3.12 is STILL an official HP update !!
    If you're feeling curious, just follow this link:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=385427&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
  • tratra
    edited November 2005
    You say you downgraded FROM 3.12.

Can you tell me
    -what computer you have ?
    -did you buy it new with 3.12 installed ? ( if not, what version ?)
    edited November 2005
    You are making my point for me! :D Put another away, it's nice to see people from around the world joining Short-Media. You wrote you were from France. We have very few members from France; so I was merely recognizing you. :cool:
  • edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Your English is very good. Oh, and yes, welcome to Short-Media. Although we are primarily North American in membership, we have quite a number of European members as well.
    Thanks for the compliment, and for the welcome!
    Leonardo wrote:
    This must be a very common problem with the given hardware setup. Look, nearly 13,000 hits on this thread! :eek:
    Hehe yes, I didn't notice that. It surely means HP should start doing something now :D
  • edited November 2005
    tra wrote:
    You say you downgraded FROM 3.12.

Can you tell me
    -what computer you have ?
    -did you buy it new with 3.12 installed ? ( if not, what version ?)
    I have an HP Pavilion t250.fr (product number: DM018A)
    I did not buy it with 3.12 installed, it came with 3.03. I decided to upgrade since I got a strange problem which reset some BIOS parameters. Here is my link to the BIOS update, which is different from yours. I guess it will take some time and maybe some bureaucratic procedures too, before HP updates these links!
    Anyway, I now have a joker in my sleeve (note: I wonder if this is a correct english expression :D ): let's suppose HP does not correct its links. Hehe, then, a few months later, should a disk problem arise (or mobo, or video card, or anything else), I'm going to call them again: "Dear HP, I re-upgraded to 3.12 again since it was still on your site, so I thought it was a "corrected 3.12" (oh dishonest me), but I got problems again, and I can't downgrade to 3.07 any more... what shall I do?" :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2006
    It's possible go back from 3.12 BIOS to "old" 3.07 BIOS. Me too experienced the release 3.12 two times ('cos they 've just re-added 3.12 as a "critical" update...but it doesn't works anyway!) It seems that 3.12 create some troubles with power supply: so can it happen that u experience power up failure, or critical errors on CPU fan overcooling & ...replace your MOBO is a possible way ( look for MicroATX)...OR COME BACK TO 3.07 BIOS!

BTW, I hate HP BIOS 'cos u can't work on settings (i know that pressing F11 on boot up it is possible modify just some more...but i like "put hands" more on it!!!)

Fortunately i've the 3.07 release SP & was possible to came back!!!

IF U NEED RELEASE 3.07 DON'T EXITATE TO CONTACT ME:

danitroncone@hotmail.com

I CAN SEND IT TO U FOR FREE

BIOS 3.12 is: BULL*S*H*I*T!!!
  • edited February 2006
    danitron wrote:
    It's possible go back from 3.12 BIOS to "old" 3.07 BIOS. Me too experienced the release 3.12 two times ('cos they 've just re-added 3.12 as a "critical" update...but it doesn't works anyway!) It seems that 3.12 create some troubles with power supply: so can it happen that u experience power up failure, or critical errors on CPU fan overcooling & ...replace your MOBO is a possible way ( look for MicroATX)...OR COME BACK TO 3.07 BIOS!

BTW, I hate HP BIOS 'cos u can't work on settings (i know that pressing F11 on boot up it is possible modify just some more...but i like "put hands" more on it!!!)

Fortunately i've the 3.07 release SP & was possible to came back!!!

IF U NEED RELEASE 3.07 DON'T EXITATE TO CONTACT ME:

danitroncone@hotmail.com

I CAN SEND IT TO U FOR FREE

BIOS 3.12 is: BULL*S*H*I*T!!!
    It's been almost three months since HP told me they would remove 3.12 from their website. Clearly enough, nothing has been done. I added a video capture card to my computer, and my computer often crashes when I use it, with Windows and Linux as well... That never happened before I upgraded to 3.12, then downgraded to 3.07, so 3.07 is highly suspect too!

Olivier
  • edited February 2006
    NovHak wrote:
    It's been almost three months since HP told me they would remove 3.12 from their website. Clearly enough, nothing has been done. I added a video capture card to my computer, and my computer often crashes when I use it, with Windows and Linux as well... That never happened before I upgraded to 3.12, then downgraded to 3.07, so 3.07 is highly suspect too!

Olivier

Me either tried to replace the ATI Radeon 9200 with a Geforce fx5200, under 3.12 & 3.07 BIOS, but PC always crashes: imo it's a power trouble. U may see the voltage settings that need the new Card & the ones setted by the BIOS on the Mobo's slot.
  • edited February 2006
    danitron wrote:
    Me either tried to replace the ATI Radeon 9200 with a Geforce fx5200, under 3.12 & 3.07 BIOS, but PC always crashes: imo it's a power trouble. U may see the voltage settings that need the new Card & the ones setted by the BIOS on the Mobo's slot.
    Thanks for the information, I'm going to have a look at this, but that looks strange, since voltage on a PCI slot is a standard they should simply respect, and does not depend on BIOS settings.

Oh, and... do you know where I can see the voltage settings on a PCI slot? :bigggrin:

Olivier
  • edited February 2006
    No...really dunno on HP BIOS...but on Asus A8N-E (on my new PC) i CAN!

It could be possible by setting jumpers on MoBo...but:

No manual = No way 4 set the Mobo
  • edited February 2006
    BTW...i know that some cards works at different voltages...
  • edited February 2006
    I wonder if I could try another, professional, non-HP BIOS...
    edited February 2006
    Sure, you could try it. And you could also try booting your computer, which you probably wouldn't be able to until you got a new HP BIOS chip with an HP BIOS version on it.

Certainly there are others here more knowledgeable at BIOS options than me, but I just don't think you can put a different computer's brand of BIOS on your chip and be able to use your computer at all.
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sure, you could try it. And you could also try booting your computer, which you probably wouldn't be able to until you got a new HP BIOS chip with an HP BIOS version on it.

Certainly there are others here more knowledgeable at BIOS options than me, but I just don't think you can put a different computer's brand of BIOS on your chip and be able to use your computer at all.
    I think this depends on the motherboard. Asking HP would be useless, but maybe a man/woman of good will at ASUS would give the answer.

Olivier