Icrontic on Team Fortress 2

Comments

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    What time tomorrow?

On Thursday, February 14 at 11 am PST, all PC versions of Team Fortress 2, the class-based multiplayer action game named PC Game of the Year by Gamespy.com, will receive its largest update since the product was first made available on October 10, 2007, as part of Valve's best-selling Orange Box compilation.

The free update includes global optimizations for networking, graphics, and player statistics, plus improvements to Source TV for tournament viewing.

In addition, three of the currently available maps (Dustbowl, Granary, CTF_Well) have been iterated for enhanced performance and gameplay.

The release is headlined by the introduction of “Badlands,” a new map that pushes control-point gameplay onto vertical landscapes.

Available free to all Team Fortress 2 PC gamers around the world automatically via Steam, there are too many features and improvements included in this update to list here. To view the full release notes, click here.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Added flamethrower "sizzle" sound when the Pyro is hitting a target
    hahaha!
    Added server side convar mp_fadetoblack. Same functionality as Counter-Strike, used mainly during in-person tournaments and LAN events
    ...this will be useful around June, you-know-what-I-mean? ;D
    Added a small delay (200 ms) before a zoomed sniper shot can get a critical hit
    ...*RABBLE!!!*
    Added exec'ing a .cfg file on the client when you select a class to play.
    hmmm...don't know if I like this one, if it opens up the same exploit door as CS and UT had
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited February 2008
    MAN!! I'm going to have to spend more time looking for exploits since they supposedly fixed my high perch on dustbowl and granary. And I am definately going to have to take a look at badlands. I'll post pics whenever I find something worth noting.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    A real nice time to release this map, ON VALENTINES DAY! pfft, maybe tomorrow night for me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'm a bit disappointed that the new achievements will not be part of this update. Those we're announced before this new map, and I'm looking forward to the introduction of the new role-playingesk elements much more than I am this one new map.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    sharkydart wrote:
    ...this will be useful around June, you-know-what-I-mean? ;D
    Oh you know it!!!! ;)

Also, I haven't said anything before today, but while watching Ninja Warrior on G4 a few weeks ago, they claimed an inside source claimed that TF2 developers were also working on new weapons for each class. That was suppose to tie in with the new achievements.
    edited February 2008
    HAHA! I can do whatever I want on Valentine's Day!
    ...well, it's a good deal on paper at least. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    sharkydart wrote:
    HAHA! I can do whatever I want on Valentine's Day!
    ...well, it's a good deal on paper at least. :)

I can't do whatever I want... can't do that without a woman! :(
    edited February 2008
    hehehehe
    edited February 2008
    Hey eggroll, Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when <s>the platform was sliding into the fire pit</s> we were playing gravel pit and I said <s>'goodbye'</s> "I need ammo", and you were like '[SIZE=-1]I AM THE UBERMENSCH'[/SIZE]? And then <s>I was all 'we pretended we were going to murder you'</s> you were all 'when I say, start punching things'. That was great.

Damn, I'm so alone and bored :(.
    edited February 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Oh you know it!!!! ;)

Also, I haven't said anything before today, but while watching Ninja Warrior on G4 a few weeks ago, they claimed an inside source claimed that TF2 developers were also working on new weapons for each class. That was suppose to tie in with the new achievements.

Old news. That's the thing about the new achievements that there is to really look forward to.
    edited February 2008
    jj6400 wrote:
    Hey eggroll, Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when <s>the platform was sliding into the fire pit</s> we were playing gravel pit and I said <s>'goodbye'</s> "I need ammo", and you were like '[SIZE=-1]I AM THE UBERMENSCH'[/SIZE]? And then <s>I was all 'we pretended we were going to murder you'</s> you were all 'when I say, start punching things'. That was great.

Damn, I'm so alone and bored :(.

I do remember. Those were good times.

Badlands, isn't as fun as thought it would be. Then again, I'm still bias towards the original.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I do remember. Those were good times.

Badlands, isn't as fun as thought it would be. Then again, I'm still bias towards the original.

So for someone who has never played the original Team Fortress, would they find this map entertaining?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    That would be me, Tbonz. I have no bias from the original TF, and I think Badlands is sweet.

Of course it's unfamiliar and needs to be memorized so that we can get good at it like we are with the other maps. It's disconcerting not knowing exactly where to go for best strategic advantage, but that'll come in time.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    So, I hopped on for a bit with you guys last night. My mic fought with me the whole time, so I didn't really talk. It would work in Teamspeak with Mic Boost on, but it'd kill in TF2. If I turned boost off, it'd work in TF2 turned way down, but not in Teamspeak. You couldn't hear me. Heh.

Anyway, I had fun. I heard Keebs mention he didn't know I had TF2. I played with you guys a few times at first. I had the damn thing pre-ordered. :)
    edited February 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    So for someone who has never played the original Team Fortress, would they find this map entertaining?

I think you would enjoy the map TBonZ. It is a big map with lots of highs and lows in the area. It has a similar feeling to well, where most of the fight is carried out in the middle point, where once that falls the 2nd point falls soon after, and the momentum just carries. But the fight for the middle can get pretty epic.
    edited February 2008
    For some reason I thought this was going to the the map with the moving coal-car-point-thing. It's just another CP map like Well. It's neat, but it's nothing special.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    So when do folks play? I'd like to get in on some of the gaming action, but the server seems to be empty... What, does everyone have jobs or something ;) ?
    edited February 2008
    mertesn wrote:
    So when do folks play? I'd like to get in on some of the gaming action, but the server seems to be empty... What, does everyone have jobs or something ;) ?

I've noticed some people are on around 6-7 pm central time, but the server genreally really picks up around 10-11 pm.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Yah, usually at night - between 10pm and 1am EST are the hot times.

Welcome to our mess! :)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Yah, usually at night - between 10pm and 1am EST are the hot times.

Welcome to our mess! :)

Darn...I'm usually out cold by then...or wishing I was. I get up for work at 5am.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    You would probably have more luck with the folks across the pond then. They're more likely to be on earlier in the day (thats later in the night for them)
    edited February 2008
    I made a picture gallery of my little misadventures in TF2. Its on Flikr though since I dont know of any other batch uploader place.

Link to Pictures

"How to Play dustbowl"

all heavy team,
    all pryo team,
    all demo team,
    edited February 2008
    I made a picture gallery of my little misadventures in TF2. Its on Flikr though since I dont know of any other batch uploader place.

Link to Pictures

"How to Play dustbowl"

all heavy team,
    all pryo team,
    all demo team,

That is so awesome, wish I had been there for at least one of those.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    haha, that looks awesome! Smart stuff :P
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Looks cool... What's with the one demo man in Heavy 2?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Looks cool... What's with the one demo man in Heavy 2?

Man, there was always ONE freeloader who apparently thought he was too cool to do what the rest of the unified team was doing. He was going soldier for awhile during the heavy round. What a chump.

That was a classic night Eggroll, thanks for the uploads (which reminds me, I need to get on the ball with IC server Screens for everyone). Can you upload a high resolution version of Pyro 3, Demo 5 and Heavy 2? Those are great.
    edited February 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Man, there was always ONE freeloader who apparently thought he was too cool to do what the rest of the unified team was doing. He was going soldier for awhile during the heavy round. What a chump.

That was a classic night Eggroll, thanks for the uploads (which reminds me, I need to get on the ball with IC server Screens for everyone). Can you upload a high resolution version of Pyro 3, Demo 5 and Heavy 2? Those are great.

Pyro 03 Hi-Res

Demo 05 Hi-Res

Heavy 02 Hi-Res
    edited February 2008
    Thanks a lot Eggroll.

In return, a couple of mine.
    edited February 2008
    And three more. Make sure to look at the kills on that first one...