SMx Project Current Parts List

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
The official copy of the parts list will be kept in the Folding@Home section on the front page.

http://www.short-media.com/folding.php?v=smx

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Hmm I still need to get you some of the stuff I have Seth. I got a vid card and PSU from Ageek and some NICs, vid cards, and some RAM I thinkg. Fans and HSFs from MM still.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    dont forget my case and the 13gig WD hd and the pioneer dvd rom and the kyro II card i am shipping to you m8
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2004
    so do we have all the parts for sm21 or are we short anything?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2004
    Still waiting for some DDR for SM20.
    edited January 2004
    ok guys got bad news Case had to be used in an emergency and HD was dead

BUT there is going to be a kyro II and pioneer dvd rom and I think the mobo that I bought off media man got there right Mr. Kwitko?

There also will be an assortment of fans, CPU heatsinks like a volcano 11 and such.sound cards IDE rounded cables and 2 1700+'s that I am not sure if they work or not! lol
    edited January 2004
    oh and while we are at it an aerogate II in box and a Diamond rio 600 for the parts manager to sell!
  • edited January 2004
    I went through the attic and my parts bin here and found some things that could be useful. I had an Asus A7V with a Duron 1400 mounted inside it. I don't know the status of either one, it has been a while since I remember having them in anything. I have a micro atx case on the way. It's an Aopen case with a 180 watt power supply. Maybe someone has a micro atx motherboard? I had a large assortment of ram. Some, including several varieties of DDR, are known for sure to be good. I have some older PC100 and a mystery stick of something included. The older ram is believed to be in working order but not completely sure. My guess is that it is. I also included a Linksys LNE100tx NIC that had been up there a while. I'm pretty sure it'll work. Also, as a side benefit to me and the SMx project, I noticed I had an AMD Athlon 2200+ in a fried MSI motherboard. I got it out, plopped it into my wife's computer that had a 1900+, and, voila, it worked :clap: ! I put the 1900+ in the package and am enjoying the boost in the wife's computer. It's rock solid reliable and has been used for folding for six months without a hitch. I dusted off an old Creative Labs CD-Rom 48X that was in working order about a year ago when I pulled it out of a working box. It'll be enroute shortly. I already have it boxed up and will be on the way probably wednesday when I make it to the post office. Also, I had to pull apart one of my other 'puters when I was going to test the cpu in that one to test the 2200. I must have been drunk when I put the heatsink on because it was on backwards and didn't even cover the whole cpu. No wonder I had to run it underclocked to make it stable. I put it on correctly, clocked it back up to the 2100+ specs, and it's reliable. I'm quite lucky I didn't fry that one a long time ago. So now I'm getting a boost with two boxes thanks to SMx. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain anywhere from 1300 to 1500 points per week production instead of 1000 to 1200. I hope the parts help. :type:

KingFish
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    What are the minimum specs for hardware the SMx project will accept? I have a bunch of supporting hardware (cables, <1GB hard drives, AT PSU's), but I'm not sure whether or not that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

-drasnor :fold:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    Wow which kind soul has donated the KV7 board & GF3 card they're still really good pieces of kit imo & an XP2500! . :fold::fold::fold::fold:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    I went through the attic and my parts bin here and found some things that could be useful...

KingFish
    Awesome! :respect::fold:
    edited January 2004
    About a 1GB HDD will do. AT will not tho since nothing that uses AT motheboards is going to put in an SMx machine. Basically a 1 GHz CPU and up will work.
    edited January 2004
    Ok I just didn't know if y'all invested in the AT->ATX adapters or not. Answers that question I suppose. What's the minimum wattage for PSU's?

• edited January 2004
    I would say a minimum 300 watt psu, maybe 350 watt for the higher end procs like the 2500.
    edited January 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    I would say a minimum 300 watt psu, maybe 350 watt for the higher end procs like the 2500.

Oh well, mine were 250W anyway. I'll let y'all know if I get anything newer/bigger.

edited January 2004
    drasnor wrote:
    Oh well, mine were 250W anyway. I'll let y'all know if I get anything newer/bigger.

One might argue that 250W would likely do it. Remember, a dedicated Folding rig is not going to have multiple HD's, power-hungry Video Cards, or any of the other bells & whistles we like to cram into our personal computers. It may not even have a floppy or cdrom drive.

It really depends on how clean the power is, and how the PS is rated. Add up the wattage on the various rails and see what it says.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Jimborae wrote:
    Wow which kind soul has donated the KV7 board & GF3 card they're still really good pieces of kit imo & an XP2500! . :fold::fold::fold::fold:

The KV7 was generously donated by Gnomewizardd and the GF3 was donated by me. We don't have the GF3 anymore because it had to work its way into my brother's PC, but I do have a TNT Mach 64 to replace it. You can thank Ziggy at my office for that one. He wanted a video card upgrade on his PC and my boss said I could keep the old card.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    The donations are all generous :)

I think a 250w power supply would be fine, personally.. But AT has that manual power switch, doesn't it? That's not compatible with ATX even with converters?
    edited January 2004
    The donations are all generous :)

I think a 250w power supply would be fine, personally.. But AT has that manual power switch, doesn't it? That's not compatible with ATX even with converters?

It wouldn't be the first time I've ghetto-hacked one of these. The key is to replace the ATX case switch with an AT switch, or just have the AT switch hanging out the front of the case. The ATX motherboard boots when it receives power, which in a normal ATX setup is when you short the PWR-ON to GND of the ATX connector.

edited January 2004
    I can't imagine any reason why it couldn't go into a future rig then... I mean hell, the wattage is not the most important thing.. My shuttle SFF with an athlon XP 2400+ power pig in it has only a 145w PSU
    edited January 2004
    Well I'll do the mods and make sure they work before I offer them up. That's going to be a month turnaround because of school and all.

edited January 2004
    you can run a mobo/cpu and regular componats off a small psu BUT cant have more than 1 hd 1 cd rom and others cause it starts taking too much
    edited January 2004
    SMx rigs don't need a CD ROM...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I can't imagine any reason why it couldn't go into a future rig then... I mean hell, the wattage is not the most important thing.. My shuttle SFF with an athlon XP 2400+ power pig in it has only a 145w PSU

Right, but some pinouts can be different if you have a real old AT PSU. Also, the real old AT PSUs are biased more to 12 volts than to the lower voltages used for ATX CPUs, and switch one heck of a lot slower. For a headless folding rig, this should be fine, for a general purpose box not so good for the second much slower switching reason.

Technically, an ATX PSU-to-AT Motherboard cable and switch pair are best way to convert, the ATX PSUs are so common they are pretty cheap now. Cyberguys sells cables and switches, cables at qty 1 for $7.49 with switch leads and switches for $3.49. If someone got one and looked at pinouts, probably could figure out how to wire reverse of same thing. Cable set part number is 113 0266, switch part number is 161 2200, and Cyberguys is at http://www.cyberguys.com/ and their searcher will respond to part numbers entered in it. Problem will be load switch times, though. Does anyone want a cable and switch like this who will help apply that to an SMx build???

John-- who is a Cyberguys reseller and can drop-ship from them.
    edited January 2004
    I have fairly recent AT supplies pulled from late-model 486's. I've got switches, and I can get a similar cable locally, I'm just not local right now. I have those supplies because the motherboards they went with died and I gutted their cases for spare parts like screws, switches, and LED's.

On an interesting side note, I'm currently using a PSU from an original IBM Personal Computer AT to power one of my folding rigs, a 1.1GHz Pentium III mounted in an Asus P2B-B, which is AT form factor and has hookups for either an ATX or AT PSU. As soon as I get around to it, the motherboard will be permenantly mounted in the IBM PC-AT case. I just need to Dremel off some of the hard drive mount, since it interferes with the processor slot.

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I have an S3 Trio64V+ and some NICs I was gonna send in, I have no idea the specs on the video card other than it's like from 1996 and its PCI, but anything will do for video, right?
    edited February 2004
    My feeling is that the only thing that matters is a fast CPU, a MB to support it, and enough memory to keep the OS happy.

The rest can be old and obsolete, so long as they'll work in the MB.
    edited February 2004
    Camman that will work.
    edited February 2004
    old video cards pwn for folding!
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited February 2004
    What's the OS of choice for most of these smx rigs? Win2k? Win98?

Also, if you guys ever need a nb chipset cooler, amd heatsink + fan, p4 heatsink + fan, or any case/heatsink fans give me a ring. I've got a whole box full of em. I'll also be going through an old decrepent ibm box that we're getting rid of. We might be able to find something.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I'm not really sure... I think Win2K is generally considered to be the most stable with least processor waste, but I think a couple hosts are using XP Pro, and I think a couple using Linux too.

We may very likely take you up on that hsf offer, Al :)