SMx Project Current Parts List

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Thanks to seth (Mr. Kwitko) for kicking in $15 towards those slotkets.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2004
    I might have missed something but what is a slotket?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    It's a device which converts PPGA/FC-PGA 370 processors into Slot 1.

Slot => Socket
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2004
    Ah i see. Thanks prof. One learns something new every day. :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    http://www.strattoncomputer.com/slot1-fcpga2.html

THAT is a slotket. They're also the only ones I've found out of 3 or 4 brands I've tried that actually support SMP. There are a number of generic ones (like the ones SVC sells) that supposedly support multiple CPUs, but not in my Tyan Thunderbolt (i440GX) system they don't. Those Upgradeware ones, on the other hand, have worked flawlessly for the few hours I've had them so far. The board on the other hand... :hrm: stupid Tyan board doesn't like being overclocked to a 133MHz FSB. So, I had to back it down to 100.

Anyhow, the slotkets should work on the P2B without a problem, but from what I've heard, the 440bx northbridge really needs a decent cooling system to hit 133MHz FSB stably. I'd have to figure out something that'll fit on that board. Maybe I can borrow my old P2B-DS that I gave to my dad a while back...

You may want to bug Drasnor about this... he knows more about i440bx boards and the P2B-DS than I do... :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Visit http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod for a whole host of things you can do to that board.

The northbridge doesn't need a super-powerful cooler, in fact it ought to hit 133 just fine on a lapped greenie with some AS. It'll be much happier with a Vantec Copper Iceberq, though.

-drasnor :fold:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Profldp, your package arrived this morning (!) from the USPS. Strange that a mail delivery would come on a Sunday, but what the hay. The mobo and -Über-1337 video card arrived safely, thanks for the donation.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    If you're sending out parts, please use the new address:

Seth Kwitko
    Karp Associates - 2nd Floor
    54-54 43rd St.
    Maspeth, NY 11378
    edited March 2004
    The slotkets and processors came in today. w00t!!
    edited March 2004
    Mobo she's on her way tomorrow, good sir.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2004
    All these parts have to go to the US, Is there (and if not, why not?) a UK 'branch'? I have a few bits but sending them to the US is, well, I don't know how it'd go or cost. Could there be a UK 'branch' that'll take bits for more machines to be used in the UK?
    Just a suggestion.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Bothered, we tried raising a European SMX contingent about a year ago. At that time, we didn't have the necessary European Team member density to make it successful. I suggest you start a new thread to see what the current interest and feasability are.
    edited March 2004
    Are you saying that European Folders are not as dense as Americans? :vimp:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    They are - they just hide the density behind them faked accents! Fool nearly all of us, they do!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Seth,

Got 4 HD's and an AGP 2x Vid card coming...I'll probably ship them out this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Later
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Whoa I was going to get some this weekend. Cant have too many tho.:)
    edited March 2004
    I received an EPoX 8KHA+ yesterday from Gargoyle and noticed that some of the caps were swollen and some had corrosion on them. I put in an RMA request and it was approved so I'll be sending in the board tomorrow. Who knows how long it will take, however.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    fatcat wrote:
    Seth,

Got 4 HD's and an AGP 2x Vid card coming...I'll probably ship them out this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Later

Package sent USPS Parcel. Delivery Confirmation #: 0301 0120 0001 9613 8517

the HD's are 4gig, 3gig, and 2 unknown sizes, but should be fine. The vid is an ATI Rage Pro AGP 2x. Have a good one :)
    edited March 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Whoa I was going to get some this weekend. Cant have too many tho.:)
    What's your secret? :vimp:
    edited March 2004
    Asus P2B-DS FINALLY went out today..... Priority, so you should get it tomorrow :)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Mt kwitco did you get that epox board I bought for you guys team??
  • edited March 2004
    Yeah, what's the secret? I need more smallish hard drives like that for the farm. I'm beginning to run low on them. If you come across some more small hard drives like that at a computer fair or something, let me know :)

KingFish
    edited March 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    ...If you come across some more small hard drives like that at a computer fair or something, let me know...
    Look for a Lot Buy at ebay (one example of many)- that farm will grow quickly!
    edited March 2004
    Mt kwitco did you get that epox board I bought for you guys team??

Yes I did, Mt gnomewisardd, but it has to be RMA'd.
    edited March 2004
    There is a ComputerFest in Dayton that I will be going to. They have a lot of local retailers there. Some with new stuff, some with old. I mainly go for the older stuff as most of the new stuff is pricier than online. I will prolly get a few HDDs, a case maybe as I have 2 computers sitting here in the open. I might pick up a used motherboard or something if I find a good deal.
  • edited March 2004
    I've already had some good deals on ebay. I've already picked up about six from there. Add to that one from and one from here. With the four nodes I have now plus the one I'm about to order, I'll be running a little slim.

KingFish
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    WTH??? RMA'ed? Where is gargoyle! he said it was in perfect working condition!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble::grumble::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::mean::mean::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rant::rant::rant:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Guys, why did you not PM me? I told both of you to PM me if anything was wrong. I asked if the board arrived and I never heard anything until I checked this thread. That board worked perfectly for me, so I'd like to know under what conditions it isn't working for you.

Try using it with a quality power supply (of Antec quality or better) if you've been testing it with a cheap one. I used it with an Antec 400W and it never gave me any problems. Is it giving beep codes? Flashing an error message on the diagnostic LEDs?

If you can't get it to work, ship it back to me and I'll send Gnome his money back.
    edited March 2004
    I think its already been RMAed. I dont know if Seth even tested. Maybe he saw the caps and sent got the RMA.

Anyway, I didnt find any HDDs at ComputeFest. I think they are trying to weed out some of the junkyard crap that comes there. Some of it has nothing to do with computers.
    edited March 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Guys, why did you not PM me? I told both of you to PM me if anything was wrong. I asked if the board arrived and I never heard anything until I checked this thread. That board worked perfectly for me, so I'd like to know under what conditions it isn't working for you.

Try using it with a quality power supply (of Antec quality or better) if you've been testing it with a cheap one. I used it with an Antec 400W and it never gave me any problems. Is it giving beep codes? Flashing an error message on the diagnostic LEDs?

If you can't get it to work, ship it back to me and I'll send Gnome his money back.

Relax, Garg, the board works fine, but I don't know if you noticed that the caps are starting to swell. Some of them even have corrosion on them. I haven't sent it out yet, but if you want it back that's not a problem. I didn't want to risk putting a board with bad caps into a machine. I will RMA the board and get a brand new one. There's no cost to you.

If you want the board back, let me know.