SMx Project Current Parts List

Comments

• edited February 2004
    Seth, when do you think you'll get this? I shipped nearly two weeks ago. I don't know why they didn't leave some type of notification the first time you weren't there.

KingFish
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with that. I didn't get a notice until the 2nd one, and I signed it so they would leave it at my door. When I got home I noticed the guy never looked at it. Stupid UPS. :grumble:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Seth,

I found some hard drives in the case I'm using for SM21, a 3gb and 4gb so I will send those. Also a AGP 2x Vid card that no worky in 4x lol. Let me get together the clutter and will let ya know.

fc
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Seth, I'm paying hotrodsun for those processors this week, so you should be getting them next week. He's been given your address. Expect 2x1.26ghz tualatins in the mail at some point. :rockon:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    OMFG I'm going to cream when all this hardware gets here. And I'm getting a car tomorrow, and I have a date on Friday with my dream girl. Wow, what a week. :leet:

KingFish, I'm going to pick up your package tomorrow from UPS. Their distribution center is right around the corner from my office.
    edited February 2004
    I'm also going to send you a P4 motherboard. It's a cheapo. I don't know if it works. If it works, we can build (our first?) a P4 SMx rig.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    I have a few HD's (4.3 - 8.4 GB range) and an Asus A7V-133 (Bios modded to full raid) if they would be helpful. The MB would be a good match for the Athlon T-Bird 1.4GHz already on the list. Also might throw in some ram, but it looks like we have a bunch of PC133 already. Got a couple old-style AGP vid cards that won't fit in modern boards that could go with the A7V-133.

Plus the $10 I pledged.
  • edited February 2004
    Good deal Seth. I hope the parts are still good after being exposed to temp extremes for that long of a time. Stupid UPS. I should have insured them for about 10k. Let me know what works and what doesn't when you get your hands on the hardware. Good luck with buying your new girl and picking up your dream car. :crazy:

KingFish
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Seth, I should have 2 PSUs comin' at ya within a week.
    edited February 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    Good deal Seth. I hope the parts are still good after being exposed to temp extremes for that long of a time. Stupid UPS.

Nice packaging. Did you send diapers or computer parts? ;D
  • edited February 2004
    LOL
    Whatever I can get my hands on. I hope the parts don't turn out to be sh&%ty. With the rugrats running around here I have a plethora of them boxes around here. That box fitted the parts the best without them being jostled about.

KingFish
    edited February 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    LOL
    I hope the parts don't turn out to be sh&%ty.

Oh, man, the pun is killing me!
    edited February 2004
    okay sethy... I'm sending out some cheapy Asus P4 mobo tomorrow, plus a radeon 7000. I'm not sure if the P4 board works. You'll have to figure that out. The radeon is weird - it didn't work at all in a customer's system, but in other systems I've tried, it works fine .. :confused: .. it'll make a great folding video card... :wtf:
    edited February 2004
    I'll test it using Windows 2000. Unfortunately we are PSU-less.
    edited February 2004
    Not for long, Seth! See my above post (bottom page 2)... I'm shipping you an Allied 400W and a generic 300W today. I'll PM you the DC#.
    edited February 2004
    GHoosdum, I'd kiss you if I were into that kind of thing. And if you were cute. And a girl.
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the offer Seth... but I'm none of the above! :wave:
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited February 2004
    Hey guys we started something similar to your "SMx" project. Whats different is all hardware is at one location mounted in a homemade rack. so far we have a xp1800+ running k12ltsp linux as the server and 3 diskless nodes with 2 xp 1800+'s and another cpu thats a 1700+ and have all the hardware for another node that I will be putting together tommorow :cheers:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    For the cause - great. Keeps us updated. Cross polination is a good thing for all things.
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited March 2004
    Hey guys, I got the P3's sent out on friday. I have been super busy lately sorry I didn't let you guys know earlier, Adam
    edited March 2004
    Thanks for the update, Adam :D
    edited March 2004
    I have lost what little faith I have left in the US Postal Service. Sitting at my doorstep was a box more mangled than Michael Jackson's face. Frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't bleeding. Luckily, its contents were unharmed. Prime, thank you for the P4 mobo and ATI video card.

Oh, and for future reference, if you can, please don't use packing peanuts. They create static and make a terrible mess. Shredded paper or bubble wrap is a much better way to ship parts.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Seth: You think Fed Ex or UPS is any better at keeping packages in shape? Some make it thru perfectly intact, some wont no matter where/how they are placed in the trucks (thats the shippers fault). Some are packaged really well but they are mishandled/loaded incorrectly andthey are still damaged.

They are all the same.
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited March 2004
    well I have to disagree with you there. UPS is the worst about damaging packages. I don't really get a lot of packages through UPS and only had one problem with packages from them.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    looks like all we need now is a case and we can get the next SMx on its way?..
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Well I work at Fed Ex if you havent read elsewhere (I have no idea if you know or not) and its not like we treat packages like they were our own all the time.:) Im guessing that USPS and UPS are the same as Fed Ex.
  • edited March 2004
    I didn't know MM. But I think anywhere you have humans working, it'll be the same despite what the marketing geniuses will want you to think.

KingFish
    edited March 2004
    Okay, seth should be getting the dualies. Thanks to mondi, keebs, and shorty for kicking in with me on that one.

Thanks to geeky1 for pointing me in the right direction to some slotkets that will work for those - Seth, I'm ordering two to be shipped to you, and I'll ship this Asus P2B-DS. I'll let geeky1 post his suggestions about heatsinks for the northbridge.

With all that, you should basically have the parts to put together this kick ass dually rig.
    edited March 2004
    Done. the slotkets are ordered and on their way.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    I expect to have a box of stuff in the mail tomorrow. I won't be able to match those dual Pent's, though.

The package will contain an ASUS A7V-133 which should be a good match for the Duron 1.3 already on the list. I'm also sending a TOP-NOTCH video card which will be fine for that board. :bigggrin:

I'll throw in some PC-133 ram if needed, but it looks like we have an abundance of that already. Let me know by tomorrow afternoon.