Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I like the idea of a community area (say 500x500 blocks or so) where people can build small houses, and the group can do things like mining and sharing/trading resources, etc.

Outside of that block, anything should be fair game.

Want to work on your full-scale NCC-1701D? Go for it, just keep it outside of the city.
    Want to build a 100-block high obsidian penis with a lava stream out of the top? Go for it just keep it (far far) outside the city.

I wish it were practical to run multiple IC servers. One where we can have the community area where we stick together and work to survive the nights, and one where we can do whatever and build any ridiculous thing that comes to mind.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Torches only prevent monsters from SPAWNING in their light, not keep them from entering the lit area.
    Yes, I know this, but if they can't spawn within a 32 block radius because of torches, then you at least spawn, fairly safe.
    What I think he means is that you spawn IN a building that is either connected to a landmark or base or is a fortress/base of its own.
    I do not believe this is possible, that is the point of protecting the spawn (makes game too easy???)
    CB wrote:
    Frankly, I'm interested in seeing where it goes without putting too many rules and guidelines on it. Unfortunately, the only way to have a small organized village would be for someone to come from on-high and tell each person, :Here, this is Icrontiville, and this 16x16 plot is yours to build your part of the community on." Otherwise there is no 'property', so people will just build where they see space to make what they want (which is xboxhuge) I mean, Joe and I started building over by a huge sea, because we have plans for it.
    I am not saying we are too big now. I didn't think it would a miniature Charles Dickens village, although I wouldn't mind making a "shopping district" with roads, sidewalks, and storefronts just west of spawn.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I think I'm going to put the Atlantis project on hold, so I can work on flattening out the spawn area, and perhaps creating the beginning of a road system. I'm not 'claiming ' the project. Please contribute as you see fit. :)

Edit: I didn't realize that protected area means that no building can occur there at all. That's kind-of silly. It'd be one thing if it was server-protected to never be changed at all, but the monsters can still blow it up, so eventually, it will become an inescapable pit. Still gonna work around it as much as possible for now.
  • SonicBoom01SonicBoom01 The Internetz
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I like the idea of a community area (say 500x500 blocks or so) where people can build small houses, and the group can do things like mining and sharing/trading resources, etc.

Outside of that block, anything should be fair game.

Want to work on your full-scale NCC-1701D? Go for it, just keep it outside of the city.
    Want to build a 100-block high obsidian penis with a lava stream out of the top? Go for it just keep it (far far) outside the city.

I wish it were practical to run multiple IC servers. One where we can have the community area where we stick together and work to survive the nights, and one where we can do whatever and build any ridiculous thing that comes to mind.

I think this could work. Keeping track of who-built-what in the community area will be hard, though.
    edited December 2010
    I think this could work. Keeping track of who-built-what in the community area will be hard, though.

Put a sign on your door. Honor the other signs on other doors.

Some things just have to be entrusted to the community to self-police. Bad actors will be weeded out by community.
  • DickCoxDickCox Sunnyvale, CA
    edited December 2010
    Minecraft name DickCox
    edited December 2010
    Server should be back up and running.

Changed boxes, please report on lag issues.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    If you're looking for PvP, you're barking up the wrong tree with the IC server. :)

It really disappoints me to hear that...I feel like it takes a huge amount of possibility out of the game.

Alas, hope you guys enjoy yourselves.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Since everyone is building for themselves but there is still some interest in the town, I demand we follow my idea.

We take the land west of the space ship and mark it off as the town. Put up a wall and gates at the cardinal directions. Then we have a fixed plot size of 20x20 that you can fence off and build in whatever you want, except the very center where we have a community fountain is off limits because the buildings touching this center area are for community buildings like banks, stores, and toy stores. The rules are nothing can be built in the cities air space and you own the air above your plot as well as directly below, there are 1 block buffers between plots to allow for fences.

With hey0 you can allow people on and put them in a limited group that can't build anything.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:

I'm suggesting Llamacraft so people don't have their crap ruined again by bugs, people or anything else. All without compromising one shred of the game's playability.

I cannot understand how anyone can be against Llamacraft after hearing the reasons stated. The only major loss is TNT. Big deal, deal with it, etc.

The game is unchanged, we still get to play legit, and no one gets screwed over.

Look at the Loadingreadyrun server and how they've flourished using Llamacraft and such. The game is intact, no one gets griefed, and everyone's happy.

It's where I've been playing lately :/
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I cannot understand how anyone can be against Llamacraft after hearing the reasons stated. The only major loss is TNT. Big deal, deal with it, etc.

The game is unchanged, we still get to play legit, and no one gets screwed over.

Look at the Loadingreadyrun server and how they've flourished using Llamacraft and such. The game is intact, no one gets griefed, and everyone's happy.

It's where I've been playing lately :/

I guess the only reason I wouldn't want it if I were around is the elimination of player contention and competition, for the most part. But that's me, not you guys.
    edited December 2010
    It looks more and more like upstream BW is the issue here, ADG are you still willing?
    edited December 2010
    I built a thin cobblestone line at one meter above sea-level around the spawn point no-build-zone. It seems to be a roughly 29 meter square. I say "roughly" because it seems to shift slightly periodically. (I did accidentally dig into a couple of people's things doing, but put stuff back as best as I could.)

We can use this as a base for leveling the zone (when we figure out how), and to build some uniform roads away from the spawn.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    It looks more and more like upstream BW is the issue here, ADG are you still willing?

I can certainly give it a try. Let me pull down the latest hey0 and get things coordinated.
    edited December 2010
    You don't even need that.

I can zip up the whole directory. You can make a directory called "Minecraft", unzip these contents, run the bat file and forward the port on your router.

All done.
    edited December 2010
    Right on. Let's do dis. I'm in IC_IRC right now.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

I assume that ADG == me

Yes, I can put up a server here for testing purposes. If it ends up solving the problems and we want one here full time, I can get a massive discount on a server, but I would still need people to chip in toward the costs (I would also be willing to chip in, but can't really foot the whole bill myself at the moment).

I know at least one of my coworkers that is running a Minecraft server here, I can talk to them about getting things set up if there are issues. Looking over the docs in the wiki though, it shouldn't be too hard to do.
    edited December 2010
    Eep... nvm... I done made an arse of myself again.
    edited December 2010
    heh, it's no problem. Though I do like the idea of a community-funded IC_Minecraft server with a fat pipe (that's what she said) and a ton of RAM.
    edited December 2010
    Well, seeing as I work at a hosting company, I can provide that.

If I would buckle down and save some money, I could replace my 1 free colocated box (currently my old laptop) with some decent server hardware then I could host it here for free. As it stands right now though I don't have the money to spend on the hardware I want for that.
    edited December 2010
    Sounds like another potential chip-in project.
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't feel right taking money to buy hardware that would essentially belong to me. Taking a collection toward the fees for a server specifically for IC is different.
    edited December 2010
    New server IP is the comment for the "Minecraft" channel in the IC Vent server
    edited December 2010
    Don't build anything here you want to keep forever. Since we're testing, it's possible anything could happen.

Don't want anyone to get attached.

Up to 7 people so far, and it looks good from my end.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't want to discourage anyone from doing anything. I just want it out there that things might get reset/lost due to unforseen circumstances.

The initial verdict so far is that things are great. I see 15 people on now, and I've only been peaking out around 60% CPU, generally sitting <50%.
    edited December 2010
    Made some good progress on the road tonight. :)
    edited December 2010
    How did things go last night? Didn't see any frantic messages or PMs, so I'm assuming nothing crashed. Everything was running when I got in this am, which is a good sign.
    edited December 2010
    It was great ADG, speed for me was just like when I was playing here at home and we had 15 people on.

There was some bottleneck here and there (couple times blocks didn't destroy) but overall it was fine for me.

Yes, good progress on the road. The section of road that is done is also all tracked up. Need the booster guru's to get the minecart system up and running.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Working great here. :)
    CB wrote:
    Made some good progress on the road tonight.

Noticed that, I'm playing a more iron efficient booster design at the spawn end if you're wondering what the monstrosity on your road is. :p
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Anne and I should be able to donate some rail to the cause shortly, we've got a decent stock of iron starting to build.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Server is running great! Thanks ADG for stepping up to help test host it.

Def great job on the Western Road last night CB and Ryder. ^5 to anyone else that helped and to all involved in the laying of the rails last night too.

I started the Eastern Road, It goes out of the back of Spawn Circle and goes quite a ways over to near TT's Mine/Tree house. I've also attached the bridge to my place, that offshoot also goes by Drasnor's tunnel to the spaceship.

I hope we don't lose this one. It's really taking shape.

-Digi
This discussion has been closed.