Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    At least Ryder gets it.

Oh no, I get it. I just disagree. New IC members are awesome, but they can't join the forum and the first thing they do is delete all of someone's previous posts. In Minecraft they pretty much can.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Well... I think the network connection aspect has already been put to bed... however, if need be I could set up a temporary box at work for testing purposes to see if it is a network issue.

Also, I agree with Annes. If we're going to let people that are brand new to the forums into the server, we're likely going to end up with griefers. People who are established forum members are less likely to grief as they are (at least somewhat) invested in the community. Letting any joe shmoe that signs up for an account into the server is just asking to have our stuff blown up, burnt down and generally defiled. If we're going to let community n00bs in (at least ones that don't have an established member to vouch for them) then we should install llamacraft.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Annes wrote:
    If we're going to start whitelisting people we don't know I'd like to change my vote on the llamamod thread to "yes."

I'm going to have to agree with this and define "people we don't know" as people not referred by a current member that sign up on the forum and 1 of their first 10 posts is requesting access. Any friend of an Icrontian is a friend of mine.
    Annes wrote:
    Oh no, I get it. I just disagree. New IC members are awesome, but they can't join the forum and the first thing they do is delete all of someone's previous posts. In Minecraft they pretty much can.

Q4T

-Digi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Not to be an asshole, but... Were people only looking 5 inches in front of their face when I suggested Llamacraft? I mean really.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Not to be an asshole, but... Were people only looking 5 inches in front of their face when I suggested Llamacraft? I mean really.
    I saw "no more fire" and was revolted.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Ok.. so, name me anyone in this thread that is ON the whitelist and NOT referred by an Icrontian.

I submit that there are none.

There have been requests, but nothing confirmed by me as added.

IR_Bender, added.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Having seen the suggestion of Llamacraft, I can say that if it is implemented, I'll pass on joining the IC crew.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    What happened to playing the game as it was suppose to be? What happened to having to reset the server to make this happen? Why is there such a massive back lash over a glitch and someone TNT trolling(OP could remove it)? How come people seem unable to decide when to let new people on and put them in a new people limited group using hey0?
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:

No, the idea of letting pubs on there server was not brought to light until after your suggestion and the poll. You brought up Llamacraft as a way to stop us from griefing each other with no mention of using it to control new members.

Thank you Ryder, If only referred people are being allowed then I stand by my no Llamacraft vote.

Anyone else see the similarities here to the USA's War on Terror? We had a terrorist act that we don't know who did it but we do know it was not one of our members (as no one was logged in). None the less the idea of limitations on our abilities is being suggested, dare I say pushed, to stop us from doing something that nobody did.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Don't mischaracterize my position.

I'm suggesting Llamacraft so people don't have their crap ruined again by bugs, people or anything else. All without compromising one shred of the game's playability.

Your hyperbole is not appreciated.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    lol WoT
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Llamacraft would help with accidents, but it also creates problems for anyone legitimately wanting to use features that it turns off. In the future, I'd like to stake out my area and potentially do another big project, but knocking down an entire mountain by hand is tedious enough that it's not worth it.

Llamacraft still won't help with bugs.
    edited December 2010
    While I don't have a horse in this race (yet), I'm concerned that you're eliminating the PvP aspect of the game. If that's what you guys want, that's fine, but I'd really like to see some contention. I enjoy social games because of the opportunity for things to go south.

I'm not suggesting that griefing is ok, it's not. Actual griefing is bad. I.E. Destroying someone's shit when they aren't around. If they go afk and you build a trap? Maybe they shouldn't trust people so much, or go somewhere safe...like the combination lock they put on their doorway and if you enter the wrong combination the gravel floor gives way in front of your house and they fall in lava...
    edited December 2010
    Fire, dynamite and lava are not needed for PvP. Water, weapons, sand, and half a dozen other mechanisms I could name are both easier to obtain and make more effective traps.
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Fire, dynamite and lava are not needed for PvP. Water, weapons, sand, and half a dozen other mechanisms I could name are both easier to obtain and make more effective traps.

So, how do you make a drop trap without TNT? Something has to have the pass-through mechanic. I want GUARANTEED death for someone if they trigger my trap. Which means I either do a giant whole...or I put a lava lake at the bottom. I like the lava lake.
    edited December 2010
    If you're looking for PvP, you're barking up the wrong tree with the IC server. :)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Says who?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    SAYS ME
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure what the issue is with having the server population in two groups. Every other aspect of our community is divided into admins and members, why not this one? All the long-standing Icrontians can be admins, and any new people who want to join us, can work as fireless newbs for a little while.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    If you're looking for PvP, you're barking up the wrong tree with the IC server. :)

I'll fight him. Come at me bro.
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Don't mischaracterize my position.

I'm suggesting Llamacraft so people don't have their crap ruined again by bugs, people or anything else. All without compromising one shred of the game's playability.

Your hyperbole is not appreciated.

I'm not mischaracterizing anything, even you knew you were making an asshole statement, you prefaced your comment with it.

I understand your stance on Llamacraft. I don't understand why you are bringing it up at every opportunity.

My hyperbole was thrown in as an observation, I'm sorry you could not appreciate the similarities described.

I agree with CB's above statement.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Being an Admin in Mincecraft means you can give yourself and others anything, teleport here and there, etc.

I recall people exploiting the duplicate item bug in our first server. Can you tell me with good faith that everyone will resist the urge to just do it the easy way?

Did people exploit items the first time just because we talked about nuking the server? I think not, because I believe it was going on before talk of starting over.

Everyone has been wanting to play the game as it was intended, but I hear a lot of "oh, now I don't" or am I missing something?
    edited December 2010
    I guess what I am trying to say here is this.

We all want to play together (at least I think we do), but we can't decide on a set of rules. When you play on someone else's server, you are subject to their rules. You hop from server to server until you find one with rules that fit you, the issue is, that setting rules by committee is messy, just like what we are experiencing.

So, suggestions for how we proceed?

I have some of my own questions. We all seemed to like the idea of a centralized city each with our own house, but yet connected and with community contributed stuff.
    So far, I see a duplicate of last server... "this is mine, this will be mine, oh and this too".

We all need to get established so we can be safe at night, etc. This also gives us a chance to stockpile resources to build the community.
    Is this where we are headed or not?
  • SonicBoom01SonicBoom01 The Internetz
    edited December 2010
    Just read through the forum posts after mine.
    No one can vouch for me from this forum, seeing as how I stumbled upon the site on Friday. I understand that I may not get whitelisted simply because no one here knows me. Plus I can't even play Minecraft yet, as I'm visiting family.

As for my vote I'm with CB, seeing as how I don't use fire or TNT in my normal gameplay anyways.

EDIT: @Ryder - Why not use the zone admin command? I've seen it done in several Classic servers, but I don't know if it works in Alpha or not. Basically it would rope off an area and only let certain people build in it.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Being an Admin in Mincecraft means you can give yourself and others anything, teleport here and there, etc.

I recall people exploiting the duplicate item bug in our first server. Can you tell me with good faith that everyone will resist the urge to just do it the easy way?

Did people exploit items the first time just because we talked about nuking the server? I think not, because I believe it was going on before talk of starting over.

Everyone has been wanting to play the game as it was intended, but I hear a lot of "oh, now I don't" or am I missing something?

I guess I don't mean that kind of admin... :/ I don't know much about how the MineCraft server-side works.

What I mean is that I'm sure there is a way, whether it's with this Llamacraft thing or not, to choose who can be trusted with fire, and who cannot.

Personally, I don't think we need any kind of moderation. I'm willing to accept the consequences of an open-world, dynamic, multi-player game. We can try not to let jerks in, and if we accidentally do, we can always kick them back out.

I only suggest the moderation by groups idea as a compromise between full or none moderation, which seem to be currently presented as the only options. If those really are the only options, then I prefer to go with no moderation.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I have some of my own questions. We all seemed to like the idea of a centralized city each with our own house, but yet connected and with community contributed stuff.
    So far, I see a duplicate of last server... "this is mine, this will be mine, oh and this too".

We all need to get established so we can be safe at night, etc. This also gives us a chance to stockpile resources to build the community.
    The "safe at night establishment" problem seems to be aggravated by the fact that we can't build anything at spawn. This hasn't been a problem for me before on the other server or in single player so it was completely unexpected. In my other games, when I die I respawn somewhere that's lit and secure from mobs. Here, we spawn in creeper central. Just look at all the holes. Not really sure what can be done about it.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

As the Dup King of Icrontinent 1.0, I feel the need to explain:

I don't know if anyone else is using the dup trick, I duped the hell out of items on the first server and it ruined the game. I've not purposely duped any items on the new map (though the nature of the beast has caused me to accidentally do it, for the same reason I have also had stuff disappear)

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    drasnor wrote:
    The "safe at night establishment" problem seems to be aggravated by the fact that we can't build anything at spawn. This hasn't been a problem for me before on the other server or in single player so it was completely unexpected. In my other games, when I die I respawn somewhere that's lit and secure from mobs. Here, we spawn in creeper central. Just look at all the holes. Not really sure what can be done about it.
    Spawn is a protected zone 32 x 32 (16 block radius). I believe it can be controlled by the server properties, I will look into it.

However, we did have a bunch of torch's put up at spawn, if not enough, then we need more.
  • SonicBoom01SonicBoom01 The Internetz
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    However, we did have a bunch of torch's put up at spawn, if not enough, then we need more.

Torches only prevent monsters from SPAWNING in their light, not keep them from entering the lit area.
    drasnor wrote:

What I think he means is that you spawn IN a building that is either connected to a landmark or base or is a fortress/base of its own.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I guess what I am trying to say here is this.

We all want to play together (at least I think we do), but we can't decide on a set of rules. When you play on someone else's server, you are subject to their rules. You hop from server to server until you find one with rules that fit you, the issue is, that setting rules by committee is messy, just like what we are experiencing.

So, suggestions for how we proceed?

I wasn't there on the first night, so I'm not sure what happened to the community idea. I was all for having a small house in the Icrontiville, and then following the road out to my personal project for work, or whatever, but it seems to me that a few things stopped this:

First, the lagg on the first night. As I said, I wasn't there, but from what I hear, it was epic.

Second, the spawn area sucks. It looks like a warzone, and it doesn't always spawn you in the same spot (which is confusing). I certainly don't want to build there.

Third, everyone has humungous ideas for their "house" in Icrontiland, which doesn't really make for a good neighborhood

Frankly, I'm interested in seeing where it goes without putting too many rules and guidelines on it. Unfortunately, the only way to have a small organized village would be for someone to come from on-high and tell each person, "Here, this is Icrontiville, and this 16x16 plot is yours to build your part of the community on." This would mean that someone would have to be Icrontiville Mayor, because while there are lots of types of desicions in the world which can be made with a vote, the divvying up of land into plots for owners is not one of them. Some one person has to make the final decisions.

Otherwise there is no 'property', so people will just build where they see space to make what they want (which is xboxhuge) I mean, Joe and I started building over by a huge sea, because we have plans for it.

The place is growing organically according to people's desires.
This discussion has been closed.