Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I was in for hours last night... only a few spots of lag (and it was most likely on my end). Man it's a lot harder with damage turned on haha. I got too used to being able to fall and not get hurt!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    broke out the rail discussion to a different thread: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=770569#post770569
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    He is a spy, I saw it on Fox News.
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    secret_agent_man-show.jpg
    edited December 2010
    They given him a number and taken way his name.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    K8mjr.png
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to the efforts of _K and the assistance of Bobbydigi, Crazyjoe, Cola, Ryder, and myself (anyone I forgot?), we have ourselves an Icrontic town. There's a central fountain, a little park around it, and several plots of land that we can all claim to build upon.

4IYKk.jpg
    An overview of the beginnings of Icrontiville as of this writing. Current population: 4 (_K, Bandrik, BobbyDigi, Cola)

This is a good place to meet and trade for things, such as leaving a chest with a sign asking for something, in return for letting people take what you're offering (on-your-honor trading), or just meeting in person for trades or authorizing swaps via Vent chat.

8RKgu.jpg
    The town land grab is on! Look for these to stake your claim on the early start of the Icrontianapolis!

To claim a spot, just grab one that's open. I put down a bunch of signs that indicate if a spot is available. The 4 spots in the center of town that touch the central fountain are public town square area, so don't build there please.

GHaWI.jpg
    An overhead view of an available plot. Fences are public dividers so leave them be; the dirt markers and anything between is yours to build with.

Each plot is roughly 11x11 squares. Each is bordered by either fencing or half-block tile roads. The plots are marked by brown dirt squares in the corners. These markers are a part of your land, so feel free to remove them -- just remember to leave the fences.

You can also build above and below your lot - build to the sky or the bedrock if you really desire, though keep in mind that things may look ugly if everyone has 64-block tall skyscrapers that block the view of each other's creations. You're free to do whatever you want on your land, but consider just building 4-5 stories max up (you can always build a huge dicktower somewhere else on your own private estate. Just ask Cola, lol).

We discussed some rules and stuff as we built everything. It's all flexible so whatever, but here's a summary:
    • We all get roughly 11x11 square plots bordered by fences/roads
    • Build up, and you can build down as much as you want
    • The plots bordering the central fountain are public spaces
    • Don't be a dick (unless you're Cola)
    • If all spaces are claimed, we can start expanding out in city blocks
    So what are you waiting for? Get your asses in here and help make Icrontiville awesome!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Very nice. I was busy dying and running back to get my stuff before it disappeared off on my private mountain estate land and not in vent, or I'd have chipped in a body. Stupid creepers and spiders. I think I have cured their ability to get into my safe house (finally), so maybe that won't happen unless I stupidly try to attack creepers from above (and die ... twice).
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Got the response "Reloaded mod". I'm guessing that's success.

Edit: Fixed response.

Also: Ryder - I have no problem hosting as long as needed. Particularly next week while I'm playing single-dad, since I won't have any time to be in the basement, anyway.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Icrontictown

This is the best thing.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I have claimed a plot. Well done, gents. Town looks coolbeans.
    edited December 2010
    I have a trading post set up just off the center of the square. It is almost open for business. The idea is I will have chest inside where someone can place items up for trade and leave a sign saying what they are wanting. If you agree to the trade simply swap stuff out of the chest, take what the left and leave what they requested for the trade. Otherwise if you want to barter you need to get in contact with them.

Also it is a shop where you can check on what I have in stock, there is a list of what I normally try to keep in stock also a short list of what I am looking for, and trade for it. Currently no fixed prices since we don't have a real economy yet. If i don't have what you want let me know and I will see if I can find some.
    edited December 2010
    K's trading station is open.
    edited December 2010
    Dang! It didn't take long at all for plots in town to get nabbed up! I headed south out of town and found a nice little hillside to dig into for getting established. I generally like to have little surface impact on my builds. Think place built into the sides of cliffs rather than towers and castles and the like.

Once I have a baseline set of tools and materials, I'll start contributing to the pool for roads and rail and such. :)
    edited December 2010
    We all have our own place but also a plot in town. We already figured we might have to expand the city.
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    We all have our own place but also a plot in town. We already figured we might have to expand the city.

Oh, I know. :) I'm pretty much booked up for about a 14-hour work day tomorrow, but I'm certainly game to help out with flattening land and building the base level for expanding town and/or the road/rail system this weekend. :)
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I set up a sign saying it on one of the borders, but the desert just outside of town was staked out a while back for Turnip Castle. So please don't cover it up :)
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Pacifisto wrote:
    I set up a sign saying it on one of the borders, but the desert just outside of town was staked out a while back for Turnip Castle. So please don't cover it up :)

Yeah, I started marking out turnip castle before IC town went in. It's marked by plain stone with torches on top. I'd be glad to partition the land inside the soon-to-be walls for anyone to build in, but I'd like to plan out and organize everything first. If anyone would like to help, I'm going to need a lot of plain stone to build the walls.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I found a dungeon that contained a record and a saddle!!!!

Time to ride some pigs!

Also can we get a new map? I would like to see where I ended up dying during my epic journey where I got crazy lost.
    edited December 2010
    Winfrey wrote:
    I found a dungeon that contained a record and a saddle!!!!

Time to ride some pigs!

Also can we get a new map? I would like to see where I ended up dying during my epic journey where I got crazy lost.

I'll run a Cartograph scan over the Icrontinent tonight or tomorrow and post it up here.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    McMap works better.

Cartograph always crashed for me. (when trying to do an isometric)
    edited December 2010
    Noted :)
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    Oh, Tectonicus is pretty memory intensive when it runs. It's still fairly immature. MineCraft Overviewer is does the same thing and is a more mature system, but the quality of the rendering is slightly lower.

https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer

I actually still use Overviewer for my SSP map.
    edited December 2010
    I love the Google Maps style, but I still strongly prefer McMap, only because it gives us all an image file we can have and keep. Plus McMap has a nice way of rendering the world, and even adds a little shading to help tell if something is on a higher or lower level.

Also, I wanted to throw this out there. Hitman was telling me how the LoadingReadyRun server had an auto-backup every 15 minutes or so, and a McMap/Cartography image automatically taken frequently (like every hour or whatever) and hosted for everyone to view and download so they can do a time-lapse video of the server's expansion.

I'm quite certain their setup is beefier than ours so such frequent backups/McMaps would probably be too intensive... but I was wondering if we could look into installing a system that does at least one McMap a day, and an incremental auto-backup at least twice a day.

Does anyone know how to do this, and how difficult would it be to implement? Finally, how resource-intensive would this be? Would it be feasible? If so I HIGHLY recommend and would like to suggest that these be implemented, and as soon as possible.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    People seriously underestimate how intensive it is to perform backups and create maps for Minecraft.
    edited December 2010
    Agreed. To do this automatically on my system, where things are currently running, I'd have to shut the server down while MCMap and/or zip run. With a full complement of users, the save/reload plugin for hey0 spikes CPU to 100% for a moment (you notice this as blocks reappearing, warping while walking, etc when it happens).

Actually, I'm not even sure you could do a map and zip without shutting down the server process, anyway.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik,

When the server moves back here, after I get my upgraded internet, I will address all these things.

ADG did a backup last night, since so much had been built since we moved over to him on Tuesday.

IMO, there are backups and then there is paranoia :)
    edited December 2010
    I'll keep an eye on things. If I notice that we have periods of 0 users, I'll take that opportunity to shutdown and run a zip and/or map.

Things are changing fast, so I think it's a good idea to do things often. I just don't want it to be so often that we're booting people out while they're working on something.
    edited December 2010
    Sounds good, guys. Whatever works best under the stipulations. Again, I was assuming the LRR guys had some dedicated server just for Minecraft with a fat internet connection, so for us I'll take what I can get with a smile. Especially if they can come in regular intervals.

Actually, there may be a way to set it up to do this kind of stuff automatically at 5 in the morning when nobody should be on, so that would lessen the impact on players.
This discussion has been closed.