The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm sold as long as Nexus Prime comes out for T-mobile. The nexus one is going to be retired finally.

Also, as for HTC Sense, didn't it just come out that there's huge gaping security holes in it that would allow an attacker to take control of your phone via VNC over the Internet? Also, a built in keylogger that any application could access without you even knowing it? Seems to me like HTC just did itself some serious damage.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I've waffled between keyboard and no keyboard. I haven't had a keyboard now for over a year and I don't really miss it, particularly when Swype is in the picture.
    edited October 2011
    I'm a huge fan of SwiftKey X. There's times I barely have to hit any keys because it's prediction is so damn good. (that or I'm just really predictable when it comes to texting)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I'm sold as long as Nexus Prime comes out for T-mobile. The nexus one is going to be retired finally.

Also, as for HTC Sense, didn't it just come out that there's huge gaping security holes in it that would allow an attacker to take control of your phone via VNC over the Internet? Also, a built in keylogger that any application could access without you even knowing it? Seems to me like HTC just did itself some serious damage.

This should make you very happy.
    edited October 2011
    Yesssss.... now I just need to save up the money (or wait til tax time I suppose).
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have $300 sitting and waiting to be given to T-Mobile. (well, I hope to spend less after a call to customer retention ;) )
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Not a single flagship smartphone in the next 6 months is shipping with a keyboard. Writing's on the wall, keyboard fans.

Since keyboards are niche, now, I'd never expect them in a "flagship." Something with top-shelf hardware would be nice, though. Seems like Sprint and Verizon get all the keyboard love. I'd shank a man for a Droid 3's layout (if not it's other features and issues). Would have taken Sprint's Epic 4G over my G2, too.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I was a keyboard proponent, but after typing so much on my nook with Swype, I think I've gotten over it.
    edited October 2011
    The Droid is what taught me to gtfo keyboards.

Me before the Droid in October '09:
    I will say that QWERTY + touch is absolutely critical to me. I will not buy an all-touch phone. I just won’t. I want a hardware keyboard for typing, and a touchscreen for navigation/clicking. That cuts everything HTC makes/has planned beyond the G1 right off the table.

Me after the Droid in February, 2010:
    The Droid’s keyboard is so plain and uninspired that I was compelled on a whim to try the virtual keyboard, and it was an experience I actually enjoyed. With significantly fewer errors and faster typing, I found myself relying almost exclusively on the virtual keyboard by the conclusion of the review period.

It all boiled down to practice. I made the realization that I was slower on virtual keyboards because I didn't have practice on them. Practice has since made me faster on the touch keyboard than I ever was with physical keys.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It's more about preference than speed for me. The Droid 3 has a much-improved keyboard, btw. Dedicated number keys are a huge plus.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Galaxy Nexus – Main Features
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream
    4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED Screen with 720p resolution
    1.2GHz dual-core processor
    Redsigned UI in Android 4.0
    Improved multi-tasking, notifications, Wi-Fi hotspot, NF support, full web browsing
    Android 4.0 features Software Navigation buttons – brand new
    People App with Google+ Integration among other features
    Redesigned camera with panorama mode, 1080p video, zero-shutter lag, silly faces and background replacement features
    Face Unlock: Facial recognition to unlock your phone! BOOM that just happened.
    Android Beam uses NFC to easily share content with other Android users with the bump of phones
    PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE
    All the Google Apps you love from Android Market and GMail to Movie Studio and redesigned Google+ app
    8.94mm thick, 4.29mm bezel
    LTE and HSPA+ connectivity
    Available in USA, Europe, and Asia beginning in November and then rolled out globally
    edited October 2011
    So, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mo

and then once Sprint goes LTE in 2014....
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This phone is sooo mine come Nov 10th.... :):)

Everything about it is perfect, except one single thing....
    I just wish that the camera was 8mp.... I can only sit here and wonder, why they did that.... Everyone is coming out with 8mp now, and a rumored 12mp within the first half of 2012.

still, this will likely be my phone in a few weeks. :D

EDIT: although, the camera and all its features does look pretty sick!
    edited October 2011
    8mp vs. 12mp means nothing. Megapixels means nothing.

It's all about the sensor. Samsung has quite literally the best sensors on their phones.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    8mp vs. 12mp means nothing. Megapixels means nothing.

It's all about the sensor.

Yea, I know

Its just nice sometimes to have that extra size image file.
    I like to do a lot of photo editing, wallpapers and stuff. Or even for prints.

But still, after reviewing some of the footage from today. The camera and all of its features looks pretty awesome. Looks to destroy my brothers 8mp in his sad X2. ;D

----

I love the hidden notification bar on the bottom and the thin bezel. Ahhh, im in love.

Does anyone know if the microSD slot was confirmed or not?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'd rather have a slightly smaller, but much clearer image (particularly from a cell phone's sensor).

Edit: Dear Verizon. Please take my money now and give me this piece of hardware.
    edited October 2011
    think 720p will be required for all ICS phones since it is the native res?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Edit: Dear Verizon. Please take my money now and give me this piece of hardware.
    :rockon:
    edited October 2011
    why you gotta be so expensive Verizon

oh well, Guess I'll just keep my Evo4G until XMAS 2012
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Any word on dates and price?
    edited October 2011
    No word, but here's my prediction:

$299 on Verizon starting November 10th. $699-750 unsubsidized.

One month of exclusivity in the states.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    motorola-razr-1.jpg

motorola-razr-2.jpg

I won't pay $300 for a phone, but if I would, I'd consider this, it just looks like a well designed piece of hardware on the surface. The carbon fiber look on the back is slick, it looks like a phone that a guy designed, its masculine, not girly looking like allot of phones on the market.

That said, it's still another "me too" Andorid device (running Gingerbread, which confuses me because I thought Ice Cream Sandwich was going to be the latest and greatest?). Still it looks is slick enough to set it apart. I bet you will see allot of guys snap it up just for the design alone, it just looks phone you would want to pull straight from the pocket protector.
    edited October 2011
    Erm, most Android phones are designed by men for men. They pretty much all have masculine design language, especially Moto devices.

But it's funny, because the RAZR was obsolete the minute it was announced. God bless Android.
    edited October 2011
    LMAO ROFL @ Cliff

classic man, classic
    edited October 2011
    I don't know, when I look at most phones, they just look dainty and "elegant" to me. I don't want elegant, I want my phone to look tough, I want it to look like it can kick your phones ass!

I'm a weirdo :crazy:, I know.....

I want a phone with a carbon fiber cover, racing stripes, clean sharp lines and for the love of god, get rid of that silly looking Google logo on the back. We all love Google and all, but lets face it, that logo just looks silly. If I pay $300 for a phone, I want other phones to cower in its presence. :grr:
    edited October 2011
    one of these has Cliff written all over it

recyclephones3.jpg
    edited October 2011
    That one on the far left, it may be useful for self defense. I'll take it!
    edited October 2011
    If its true that there will be 16gb and 32gb versions of the Galaxy Nexus,

Wouldn't you assume that the 32gb would be $299 and the 16gb be a little less.... like $249
    edited October 2011
    If its true that there will be 16gb and 32gb versions of the Galaxy Nexus,

Wouldn't you assume that the 32gb would be $299 and the 16gb be a little less.... like $249

gonna assume the microSD is removable, and it will just be carrier choice if they give you a 16 or 32GB Galaxy, if there will even be two different.
    edited October 2011
    And here's where I speak heresy:

The PowerVR SGX540 in the Galaxy Nexus is an antique. It's almost 4 years old. It was introduced in November 2007.

The GalNex's screen is gorgeous. Google-controlled updates are awesome. There's a certain cachet for owning the first Ice Cream Sandwich phone.

But you know what? OMAP4 is old news. All of its GPUs are archaic, and the CPU is a step behind Samsung's Exynos. In fact, the Exynos GPU is 1.5-2x faster than what the GalNex is offering.

So, you know what? I think I'm going to wait. I have a honeycomb tablet, and no pressing need for an upgraded phone. Yep, that's right: the wait continues. I want the 1.5GHz Exynos+SGX543MP2 that was floating around, and I suspect someone will deliver very soon.