The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Updated with revised launch dates/carriers and sad news that the coveted SGS2 will not be coming to Verizon, as confirmed in the WSJ.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Updated with revised launch dates/carriers and sad news that the coveted SGS2 will not be coming to Verizon, as confirmed in the WSJ.

Seriously!?
    ughhhhh, I need a phone soon. I don't feel like waiting till October or later for the Vigor, and I refuse to buy a locked Motorola. This sucks.... This news just saddened my day.

This is just a strategy so that Motorola Can sell More LOCKED Bionics when it launches....
    Man Im seriously starting to hate Moto and Verizon
    edited August 2011
    Added AT&T's first LTE phone.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Sprint wrote:
    Sprint will be the first in the U.S. to launch a Samsung Galaxy Sâ„¢ II product with the Sept. 16 availability of Samsung Galaxy Sâ„¢ II Epicâ„¢ 4G Touch.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/08/30/sprint-first-us-carrier-to-debut-galaxy-s-ii-with-samsung-epic-4g-touch?ECID=SM:TW:20110830Epic4GTouch

4.52" screen and only 800x480 resolution, such a shame
    edited August 2011
    The document has been updated in the background with the Sprint info already, but I'm combing through the T-Mo/AT&T data as it was announced on my drive home from work.
    edited August 2011
    All updated!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Man... looks like Verizon is getting all the Android love and T-Mobile gets all the hate'n. :(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    So is the Hercules the SGSII? Also, TechCrunch is reporting that the screen on Sprint's and T-Mo's 4.5" iterations looks pixellated compared to AT&T's 4.2" version. Could be possible, considering the pixel density is lower. I guess until I see it in person I can't say.
    edited August 2011
    It's likely to be their SGS2. The shroud of secrecy surrounding the device at the launch event, combined with the fact that the Exynos chip of the default SGS2 doesn't support T-Mo's new 42Mbit HSPA, strongly suggests it. From what we do know about T-Mo's SGS2, it further matches what is rumored about the Hercules.
    edited August 2011
    Added the HTC Sensation LE II for T-Mobile.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Never been much of a fan of giantphones, but the new Samsung Galaxy Note is big enough to actually be worth the pocket-strain, and the included stylus is pretty swank. Hmm...

Hopefully it'll get a CM rom that keeps the stylus support.
    edited September 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Never been much of a fan of giantphones, but the new Samsung Galaxy Note is big enough to actually be worth the pocket-strain, and the included stylus is pretty swank.
    skryking has the Dell 5" Streak and it IS big but I think the Note MIGHT be a decent phone/tablet.
    edited September 2011
    Recent rumors suggest that the "Droid Prime" is nothing more than VZW getting permission to customize the Nexus Prime as a branded phone. In other words, Verizon may not actually be getting the true Nexus Prime after all.

This falls in line with other Nexus models, which have come to every carrier but Verizon. In fact, the last stock device they ever shipped was the first Droid, 2+ years ago.
    edited September 2011
    I think I love you Thrax... That makes me very happy to hear the Prime is still a possibility.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Recent rumors suggest that the "Droid Prime" is nothing more than VZW getting permission to customize the Nexus Prime as a branded phone. In other words, Verizon may not actually be getting the true Nexus Prime after all.

This falls in line with other Nexus models, which have come to every carrier but Verizon. In fact, the last stock device they ever shipped was the first Droid, 2+ years ago.

Prime to Sprint? OHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASE!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I'd be surprised if VZW ever got a full-on Nexus device due to their insatiable appetite for burdening their customers with bloat/ad/crapware.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I'd be surprised if VZW ever got a full-on Nexus device due to their insatiable appetite for burdening their customers with bloat/ad/crapware.
    Just root it and install the stock build. Hopefully the real Nexus Prime will be available as well for Verizon customers. I'd pay extra to have the real thing.
    edited September 2011
    If the software (outside of the modems, obv) is identical between them, then yes, this could be possible. But since it's a Samsung, they will likely have different code trees for each of the devices, making it nearly impossible for code from one device to assist with another.
    edited September 2011
    More importantly, a "Droid Prime" could have LTE, which means a new baseband image, which could also create problems.
    edited September 2011
    The Nexus Prime on Sprint will also probably be the Nexus Prime 4G with WiMax, which would add yet another layer of baseband.

Fortunately, on that part, though: you can flash baseband and ROM separately. So, IF (and that's a REALLY OMFGWTFHOLYCRAPHUGE 'IF') they're identical hardware/software outside of the driver stack, then you could kang the ROM from one onto the other.
    edited September 2011
    After reading some articles on how bad T-Mobile is doing and their, seemingly, reliance on the AT&T deal to go through, it is not surprising they have not been very proactive in releasing many new phones. Now it sounds like T-Mobile may be even worse off and the odds of being bailed out is slim to none. Now what? :(
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    $99 Galaxy S2 via Walmart (pre-order), for those now wanting to wait for the Prime on Sprint~

http://phandroid.com/2011/09/09/pre-order-the-samsung-epic-4g-touch-at-walmart-for-99/
    edited September 2011
    See the carrier row for the iPhone 5. ;) It's been like that since this thread was posted. T-Mo/Sprint rumors have been circulating for quite a while.
    edited September 2011
    Specs for T-Mo SGS2 and HTC Sensation XE completed.
    edited September 2011
    So, what of this news that T-Mobile having some big launch of "something" on September 24th? Launch what? Any ideas or speculations???
    edited September 2011
    The "celebrste in style" thing makes me think the HTC Bliss, the recently completed chick phone. I'd be surprised if it were anything good. Could be the release of their sgs2.
    edited September 2011
    My wife's txting phone is 80% dead and she wants mine ASAP... I don't know how long I can hold out for a Nexus. I might have to bail early and get the SGS2 (Herc) and "live with it".
    edited September 2011
    Im guessing late October for the Prime.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Longest two months ever. The handset speaker on my G1 is going bad, and I can hardly hear calls through it. I have to either take calls in my car or use my bluetooth headset. Glad I'm waiting though. It's gonna be so worth it.