The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    yea, I don't think HTC will sit around long. ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Bah, HTC can't step off of Qualcomm's coattails long enough to produce a competitive device to save their life. Great build quality, sure, but Qualcomm has been a perennial also-ran for almost two years at this point. Snapdragon and Adreno are so long in the tooth I don't even know where to begin. The Qualcomm-based SGS2 is just embarrassing.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Tge0I.jpg
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I get where you're coming from, Thrax, but I'm still going to buy. I've spent too much time fighting carrier crapware, and I'm ready for a pure android experience.

The processor's a bit dated, and the GPU has been around for a while, but that also means they're at a very stable point and will have very low incidences of defects.

Chris Pirillo posted a set of benchmarks on Google+ which included both of the GPUs (the one we hoped for, and the one we got), and the GNex's isn't far enough behind to really make a huge difference.

Also, we need to remember the mission of the Nexus line of devices. Nexus devices are not intended to be the super-ultra-mega top-of-the-line devices. They're supposed to be the reference device of what I call "The phones most people are going to be buying over the next year". Too many people were expecting "The phone people are going to be buying after next year", which is what some of the rumored spec's offered.

I'm 100% sold, and I can't wait for someone at Verizon to tell me where to send my money so I can have one.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    ... included both of the GPUs (the one we hoped for, and the one we got), and the GNex's ...
    ... the one we hoped for, and the one we got ...
    It wasn't the hero we wanted ... it was the hero we needed.

Ice_Cream_Sandwich_Man_by_KaraszKun.jpg
    edited October 2011
    Also, we need to remember the mission of the Nexus line of devices. Nexus devices are not intended to be the super-ultra-mega top-of-the-line devices.

Except the Nexus One was exactly that, and the Nexus S was very close.
    edited October 2011
    Nexus One was a Droid Incredible, and Nexus S was a Galaxy S. Both established configurations at the time of their release.
    edited October 2011
    No, the Droid Incredible was the CDMA variant of the Nexus One. N1 came first. Though I admit the Nexus S was less revolutionary, it at least had top-of-the-line hardware. The Galaxy S was the fastest phone on the block when it was released, no holds barred, and so was the Nexus S by extension.
    edited October 2011
    I'll concede the point on the N1 vs. Incredible, but I maintain that Nexus is supposed to be a reference device for the next year or so. This means that Google is expecting the majority of phones over the next 12-15months will be spec'd similar (with some variance in either direction) to this.
    edited October 2011
    That won't happen. Quad core CPUs will be in phones by May, starting with Tegra 3 and Qualcomm Krait.
    edited October 2011
    Again, those are not going to be the majority of devices sold.

The extreme top-of-the line devices in May won't be the devices everyone is buying until early 2012.

The majority of buyers pick up whatever phone is $0-100. These are the people developers want to build for. These are the current SGS phones and below. In May-June '12, phones roughly equivalent to the Galaxy Nexus will be nearing that range, making them the most purchased phones.

The NEXT Nexus will probably have Tegra3/Krait/OMAPWhatever, designed for the early-mid 2013 bulk phones.
    edited October 2011
    All I'm saying is that the past two Nexus devices have featured top flight hardware. This one does not. It's thematically inconsistent and disappointing.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I think I'm better off waiting until January to see what new devices come out. If nothing good, then I won't take my wife's upgrade and I'll hold on to my EVO for another year.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    The Qualcomm-based SGS2 is just embarrassing.

The review I read pegged it lower in pure computational benchmarks than the Exynos, slightly slower in 3D rendering, but faster in web page rendering. I'd call it a wash, but I also don't plan on doing 3D gaming on a small touchscreen backed by less than 2000mAh of juice. I think it'll feel identical even if the epeen measures up differently.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I think I'll just keep my Bold 9700, it does everything I need it to.
    Anyone want to be my bbm friend / share pins? *forever alone*
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    And here's where I speak heresy:...
    So, you know what? I think I'm going to wait.

I was thinking like this this morning when I read the initial reports; I can probably get similar ICS performance out of my Sensation. I'm thinking I'll still end up getting it, though.

I do want a reference phone. If the superphone is coming out from Samsung, I don't want to worry about waiting for updates, Sammy putting TouchWiz on it, whatever. I want the pure experience this time rather than always wiping Sense or TouchWiz or MotoBlur off of my devices.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'll be damned if I use this G1 for another month. I'm buying this phone. I no longer have a need for top shelf phone hardware.
    edited October 2011
    I think I'll just keep my Bold 9700, it does everything I need it to.
    Anyone want to be my bbm friend / share pins? *forever alone*
    People still use BlackBerrys?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    QCH wrote:
    Looks like T-Mobile's Samsung Galaxy S II (Hercules) will be out next Monday. I swear... phones make me feel like an 18-year old kid trying to navigate the world with hormones coursing through my brain.

So... in the hormone-driven mind of an 18 year old, do I take the really nice and easy to talk to chick out next Monday or hold out for the possibility of a date with the hottest chick out there sometime next month... Hormones say get it now and worry about the later part, well, later. The logical side says hold out because the nice girl will still be there as a backup.

If I get neither because I sat too long on the fence, which is more true to how I rolled back in high school, I'll hate myself.
    ggrrrr All this wait for what? Question... The SGSII and Nexus both should have the superior camera sensor, right? The SGSII has an 8MM camera and the Nexus is 5MP.

Nexus has better screen and ICS. SGSII has MicroSD slot. Nexsus has the 1.2GHz OMAP 4460 and the SGSII has the 1.5GHz Qualcomm APQ8060. PowerVR SGX540 vs Qualcomm Adreno 220. It looks like the GPU on the SGSII is better than the Nexus? The CPU is about tied?

Am I correct?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Anyone know if a single Galaxy Nexus will work on all the carriers, or will it be separate AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile phones?
    edited October 2011
    More Pixels does not necessarily mean Better Camera.
    edited October 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Anyone know if a single Galaxy Nexus will work on all the carriers, or will it be separate AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile phones?

Samsung has gone on record saying "The LTE version will be a little bit thicker".
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    More Pixels does not necessarily mean Better Camera.
    Correct but if Samsung is the manufacturer for both and they are known for having the best sensors, pixels DOES matter. Now if the Nexus has a better CMOS sensor than the SGSII then NO, the pixels do not matter. My question is just that... unless there is evidence that Samsung is using a different sensor in the Nexus, the SGSII might be a better camera because it has more pixels.
    edited October 2011
    QCH wrote:
    ggrrrr All this wait for what? Question... The SGSII and Nexus both should have the superior camera sensor, right? The SGSII has an 8MM camera and the Nexus is 5MP.

Nexus has better screen and ICS. SGSII has MicroSD slot. Nexsus has the 1.2GHz OMAP 4460 and the SGSII has the 1.5GHz Qualcomm APQ8060. PowerVR SGX540 vs Qualcomm Adreno 220. It looks like the GPU on the SGSII is better than the Nexus? The CPU is about tied?

Am I correct?

SGS2 and Nexus share the same camera sensor, IIRC, which means you'll get superior images out of the Nexus because it's not trying to cram more pixels onto the sensor.

Nexus has a better GPU most of the time, and the CPU is basically tied.

Another matter is software. If the TMo SGS2 ever gets ICS, it'll be dead last, because it's the one Galaxy S II that fell off the Exynos bandwagon. Samsung's bad enough as is with firmware updates, so just imagine how good they'll be with the unique little snowflake that is TMO's SGS.
    edited October 2011
    http://www.samsung.com/us/register/galaxynexus/

AT&T
    Cellular South
    Metro PCS
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    US Cellular
    Verizon
    edited October 2011
    That list means nothing, unfortunately. Sprint is busy coping with the influx of iPhone customers, and I doubt they'll be offering any top-of-the-line phones until their LTE network is up and running. If the Galaxy Nexus comes to Sprint, it would most likely be a v2, or maybe even the latest and greatest Nexus phone. With the build-out of their LTE network slated to be finished in 2013, don't expect anything spectacular from them for a while. Sadly. :(
    edited October 2011
    agreed.

makes me wonder if Sprint can survive until the end of 2013 after dropping billions in to the now defunk wimax
    edited October 2011
    Apparently what they're working on will allow them to keep WiMAX and LTE phones simultaneously.
    edited October 2011
    I found this:
    By the end of 2012 they'll have 15 handsets, plus tablets and modems, all on CDMA/LTE.
    Source: http://gizmodo.com/5847643/its-official-sprint-is-going-lte
    edited October 2011
    so unless you MUST HAVE an iphone4zzz on sprint, don't buy any sprint phone until LTE :)