The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Updated the table with a bunch of shit.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    also I'm going to predict right now the end of "sprint unlimited data" once they roll out LTE.

MARK MY WORDS!! (I'll check back in 2013)
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Well I know we were all wanting more out of this phone....

I wanted the 1.5ghz Exynos CPU, and a nicer GPU.

But ill be honest here, im done waiting. For those of you that have Evo's and Nexus One or S. I can understand if you want to wait. If you have an Evo, it might be best just to wait for something better.

But im coming from a OG droid. In pretty sad condition too.
    I bought it used so that I could ditch my Blackberry Storm 2.

But im on my last bit of gas with this phone. I can't wait anymore.

For me, its either the Galaxy Nexus or the HTC Rezound (Vigor). But the HTC isn't very appealing to me anymore. Their screens are nothing compared to the SAMOLED.

The HTC will have a 1.5ghz DC CPU. But I can live with the .2 decrease.

I think come Nov 10, the Galaxy Nexus will be mine. I can't wait until half way through 2012 just to get the best phone.

You will never have the best. By the time you commit and buy the "top-of-the-line" phone, there will be released specs about an upcoming device that trumps yours. It just never ends. Therefore, im gonna upgrade to ICS and live happy for a couple of years...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    In other news, Sprint released the HTC EVO Design 4G, a minor upgrade to the original EVO 4G. In addition to be a world phone, it sports a 4-inch qHD screen and a 1.2GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 processor.
    edited October 2011
    I didn't see the resolution anywhere for that phone. guessing 800x480
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    960 x 540
    edited October 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    960 x 540

not bad, gives a good dpi. I'll take a look at it when I'm at the sprint store next month
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Seeing all sorts of whining about pentile again, since the Galaxy Nexus is SAMOLED HD not SAMOLED+ HD.

People are never happy. At 720p (316ppi), I will find it hard to believe that more than 5% of the population will even notice the pentile, let alone ACTUALLY be bothered by it.
    edited October 2011
    PenTile pisses me off, as many of you well know, but I'm totally willing to reserve judgment on the GNex until I actually see it in person. If anything is capable of smoothing over my contention with the obvious pixelization of a PenTile display, it's 316ppi.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    PenTile pisses me off, as many of you well know, but I'm totally willing to reserve judgment on the GNex until I actually see it in person. If anything is capable of smoothing over my contention with the obvious pixelization of a PenTile display, it's 316ppi.

I'll be sure to put this next to my Droid and get a picture.
    edited October 2011
    I think that's the problem. Most people aren't reserving judgement until they see the screen.

I had my reservations about even the WVGA800 pentile, but once I had the phone in my hands, it didn't bother me. I noticed it, sure, but I generally was not running text small enough for it to actually be a problem.

I'm pretty sure the same will hold true with the GN, as it's an even higher resolution display.

But there will always be people who will whine about it just because it's pentile, never giving it a fair shake.
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    not bad, gives a good dpi. I'll take a look at it when I'm at the sprint store next month
    Slightly smaller screen but better DPI and more up-to-date processor. Do I give my EVO to my wife and switch to that, or keep my EVO and give her the newer model?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Bugger... I didn't realize it at first, but apparently the Galaxy Nexus won't have an SD card slot of any type? That's a deal-breaker for me. I love having an SD card for storage and backups (in case the internal storage ever gives out on me).
    edited October 2011
    Are you kidding me!?!

I was 100% gonna buy this phone come Nov 10th, but I didn't realize that it had a pentile display. That most likely just ruined it for me.

I can't stand pentile. Regardless of how it may be 720p and still look better than most phones. I don't like pentile at all.

I look at my brothers droid X2 screen and I cringe.

I can't stand the fact that you can see all the little square pixels in all the icons and menu bars. It looks like garbage.

I took a high res photo that I took with my DSLR, With the colors set to sRGB. I sized it to the Droid X2 wallpapers dimensions, and i put it on my brothers phone. It looks like garbage. the colors were off, the image was pixelated in all of the dark spots, etc etc etc....

Then I took the same image, sized it for the wallpaper size of my OG droid, and put it on my droid. And even on this first gen Droid, the wallpaper looked 10x better than it did on his X2.

I tried this with several different images and got the same results every time.

Ive gotten into photography a lot in the last couple years. and I love putting my photos on my phone as wallpapers. But when pentile displays make all my images look like crap, I cant even show my famly my pics via my phone, because the pentile makes the images look like garbage even when just viewing them in the gallery. I doubt the Galaxy Nexus will be much different. Maybe just SLIGHTLY less noticeable than on the X2.

This is the reason I turned down the X2.

On Nov 10th, I will test the galaxy Nexus, if I see ANY of those stupid nasty square pixels..... then I will be buying the HTC Vigor (Rezound).... sorry Sammy and Google.... but I think you f'ed up on this one.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    ....can anyone explain Pentile to me? I don't know anything about this.

Is it confirmed no MicroSD slot as well?
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    ....can anyone explain Pentile to me? I don't know anything about this.

Is it confirmed no MicroSD slot as well?

All I know is.....

The pixels are very very noticeable compared to non-pentile displays. You can see them all plain as day.

I feel like its a cheap way them to tack on a higher resolution. Just like the X2. They tried to market its higher screen resolution than the X1. but yet, the X1 wasn't pentile, and most people agreed the X1 screen looked better than the X2, regardless of the higher resolution.

x22143.th.jpg
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    No microSD is confirmed.

Rage much on PenTile? Give it a shot, at least.

PenTile is a method of laying out pixels such that not every pixel gets all three colors - they alternate RGBG, where the R and B are larger than the G:

RED G BLUE G

etc. It can cause jaggies upon close inspection on phones where you can pick out individual pixels. At 316ppi, I think you're going to have a harder time noticing than you might think. I'm reserving judgment until I see it, at least. (And even then, I'm probably still getting it. Didn't bother me much on any of my phones.)
    edited October 2011
    Read my Droid Incredible review on Icrontic to learn more about PenTile. I'd link, but I'm on my phone.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Read my Droid Incredible review on Icrontic to learn more about PenTile. I'd link, but I'm on my phone.

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/the-unfinished-masterpiece-an-htc-droid-incredible-review/

Edit:
    I believe the point in Thrax's article is that you need to go to a store and subjectively look at the display and compare it to others in order to decide if PenTile is a deal breaker for you or not. Some people, like photographers, are probably going to be bothered by it where as every day phone users like myself might not care. You have to go look at it when it hits the stores to decide.
    edited October 2011
    Seeing all sorts of whining about pentile again, since the Galaxy Nexus is SAMOLED HD not SAMOLED+ HD.

People are never happy. At 720p (316ppi), I will find it hard to believe that more than 5% of the population will even notice the pentile, let alone ACTUALLY be bothered by it.

Its not just about the ppi.
    All the pentile displays previously released have had tons of complaints of color banding, or blurriness, etc etc.

I noticed this myself on my brothers X2. Pictures look better, crisper, and more colorfully accurate on my OG droid.

I will take pictures of this when I have time, just so people can see the color banding issues.

Even if the ppi is high enough to make the pixels less noticeable. That doesn't mean it will solve all the other issues.

One website translated the ppi of what should be 316 to actually be around 200 ppi after factoring in how pentile works.
    edited October 2011
    Which is still about 40% higher than any other PenTile you've seen.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Which is still about 40% higher than any other PenTile you've seen.

True, but I would have much rather seen a real 316ppi. Not 200ppi that they try to market as 316ppi, even though it truly isn't....

Kinda like false advertising really. The majority of people that buy this phone won't even know what it means. They probably won't even know what ppi is.
    Which is why they will get away with it again.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Like 4G ...
    edited October 2011
    Moar like FauxG, mirite?
    edited October 2011
    you-are-right-fukc-bums-and-their-posters-they-showed-up-on-demotivational-poster-1265238498.jpg
    edited October 2011
    True, but I would have much rather seen a real 316ppi. Not 200ppi that they try to market as 316ppi, even though it truly isn't....

Kinda like false advertising really. The majority of people that buy this phone won't even know what it means. They probably won't even know what ppi is.
    Which is why they will get away with it again.

I think you also need to give it a fair shake before discounting the GN for the pentile display. Your experience with pentile is colored by the fact that the DX2 has an almost universally reviled version of the pentile display (RGBW), and only at qHD resolution (518,400 pixels). The GN's display is 720p (921,600 pixels), and RGBG, which is the much less offensive pentile layout.

Also: You're not seeing "Square Pixels" when you see the pentile display, you're seeing the staggered layout of the pixels, which creates a type of grid effect.

And more: Pentile displays' ppi is measured by the number of discreet horizontal bands multiplied by the number of discreet vertical bands able to be displayed on the screen. In reality, I think ppi should be measured via the subpixels, but that's a different argument.

Finally, since you mentioned photography: Camera CCD sensors use a pentile matrix, which is then interpolated into the standard grid during processing.

Edit: AnandTech just did a nice writeup, furthering the notion that most people won't notice the pentile on the GN: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5000/galaxy-nexus-pentile-discussion-confirmed
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This here Nokia N9 review is pretty interesting. If it weren't for the fact that Nokia is being huge tossers and axing a promising platform in MeeGo before it even had a chance in favor of WinMo, I'd consider buying it.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/20/nokia-n9-review/

Also, from this review, a statement about PenTile from the author. Take it for what you will :P
    Another similarity between the Nexus One and N9 is that both use a PenTile Matrix subpixel arrangement. In simple terms, that means you’re not getting as many subpixels as you would on a more conventionally arranged 854 x 480 screen, which in turn means you won’t be seeing quite as much detail as the resolution initially suggests. In my testing, however, I found this to be just a technical point with little practical impact. There’s no way to perceive the pixel layout with the naked eye (I had to zoom way in on some macro photos to verify the PenTile grid) and the N9 offers consistently bright, punchy color reproduction and typically wide viewing angles.

AKA, at least from the reviewers point of view, if PenTile is done right you can't tell without going out of your way to look for it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I doubt Pentile on the GN is going to bug me, but lack of removable memory bugs me a lot. I think it's the closest thing to a deal breaker for me with this device.
    edited October 2011
    Here is a review about Pentile on Galaxy Nexus and Note.

TL; DR: It isn't a big deal. At all.