The Galaxy Nexus thread

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech
I feel there is sufficient interest to get this party started. This is the place for Q&A, discussions, important links, etc.

KEY LINKS:
ADB/Fastboot/MTP Drivers: Get your device connected to your PC and responding to ADB. Required for rooting/unlocking.

Galaxy Nexus Unlock/Root Toolkit: A convenient utility to do the hard work for you. It even installs Clockwork recovery.

[LTE] Android Open Kang Project (AOKP): Thus far the best ROM for the Toro. Currently based on a heavily-modified version of IML74K.

[GSM] Android Open Kang Project (AOKP): Thus far the best ROM for the Maguro. Currently based on a heavily-modified version of IML74K.

[Kernel] Lean Kernel: Thus far the very best custom kernel for the Toro and Maguro SGN. With moore features and faster development than any other kernel, Imoseyon has brought his pioneering work with other devices to the Galaxy Nexus. I highly recommend you flash the latest experimental (180Mhz version), then keep it updated every few days by typing "lkflash" at the terminal and selecting the 180MHz experimental option.

Extensive customization can be done with the LeanTweaks script, which is flashed through Clockwork Recovery and accessed inside Android by typing "lt" at the terminal. The script's preset voltages are quite good, and my phone works beautifully with the "aggressive" presets.

KEY TERMS:
SGN: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (aka "GNex")

Tuna: Codename for the Galaxy Nexus hardware (OMAP4, SGX540, 1GB RAM, etc.)

Maguro: Codename for GSM Galaxy Nexus (Western Europe, Virgin Mobile Canada, Bell Canada, etc.)

Toro: Codename LTE Galaxy Nexus (Verizon Wireless)

Yakju: The name for the specific software build of Android 4.0.x that was prepared and deployed by Google for the Maguro SGN. Only SGN handsets referencing this fingerprint in /system/build.prop will receive updates directly from Google. Other builds, such as yakjuws and yakjuxw, were prepared by Samsung or the carrier, and must be updated by the carrier. Luckily, Maguro owners stiffed with one of the non-yakju Android 4.0.x builds can wipe their phone and restore the factory yakju image to put Google back in control. WARNING: Your bootloader must be unlocked to perform this restore, which voids your warranty. All data on your phone will be destroyed by executing this process.

Mysid: See above. Mysid is the fingerprint for the Google-controlled version of Android 4.0.x for the Toro SGN. All VZW SGNs ship with the mysid fingerprint.

ITL41D: Another name for Android v4.0.1.

ICL53F: Another name for Android v4.0.2.

IML74K: Another name for Android v4.0.3.

IMM76D: Another name for Android v4.0.4.

SAMOLED HD: The brand name for the particular panel technology behind the Galaxy Nexus' 1280x720 screen. For generic information on SAMOLED, visit here. SAMOLED HD uses the PenTile RGBG matrix, but with a sufficiently high DPI to disguise the visual artifacts commonly associated with this subpixel arrangement. Seriously, this screen looks ****ing good.

Bootloader: Responsible for initializing the process that allows Android to start successfully. A locked bootloader will cause the phone to refuse custom ROMs. The Galaxy Nexus is prized for being freely unlockable with a command issued from a utility in the Android SDK. Virtually every other Android phone must have a security flaw exploited before the bootloader can be unlocked. In other words, this phone was expressly designed to be easily modified.
ยซ13456

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Case opinion: I purchased the Otterbox Defender case. I dislike it. It's not so much the size, it's the rubber coating that makes everything in my pocket stick to the case, including the pocket itself. Nothing like turning a pocket inside out when removing your phone. I'm hoping the Commuter case doesn't have the same coating.
    I definitely agree with the screen assessment. This has got to be the best looking display I've ever seen on a phone. It's certainly better looking than the OG Droid. I haven't held it side-by-side with an iPhone 4 or 4S, so I can't speak to that comparison.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'd qualify that the screen is amazing with sufficient backlighting. The grays in TweetDeck still get pretty colorful if you dial the brightness down, which I find intriguing. At about 1/5-1/6 max brightness that starts to disappear, which is about where I lock my brightness. Might just be mine, though.

Thrax, Ryder, and I have been pretty flash-happy the last couple weeks, and we're pretty unified in our recommendations of AOKP and franco. Stellar pairing. At a little over 10 hours on battery so far today, I'm still at 85% on the conservative governor, with no performance issues to speak of. Love love love.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Protip of the week. Use the built in battery monitor to judge your performance. It seems the current battery monitor apps seem to have sinister underpinnings.
    edited January 2012
    @Thrax, @Snarkasm, @Ryder, I've seen your postings on Twitter regarding the battery usage. Would you mind posting current progress here so there's something a little more permanent?

Also, which versions of the GNex are you guys using? Any differences in what works between them?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    Snark and I have the GSM version. Ryder has the LTE version.

No differences in what works, but the GSM car dock is way better. ;)
    Re: Battery

Currently it is believed that one or more of these services in ICS is occasionally stopping the phone from going into deep sleep:
    -Google Chat
    -The camera's sensor
    -The DRM Content Provider Service

We're all still fighting hard to find something conclusive.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    It would seem that the Google location services are causing the issues regarding the battery. I have had them disabled for about 2 weeks now and experience what I would call normal battery life.
    This does not stop you from using Maps, etc just enable GPS whenever you need to, turn it off when done.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    OK. It is time.

I'm going to be ordering a Galaxy Nexus soon. A piece of me wants to wait on the Samsung Galaxy S3, but eff it, I don't think I can wait until this summer as rumored.

As I'm coming up on a new job soon, I feel like I'm safe to buy this phone soon. Plus, with all the job related calls coming through, I need something that's reliable. My old G1 misses calls without notice frequently, and quite frankly, it's terrifying.

As sad as it may seem, I know nothing about buying a phone outside of a provider and activating it (considering I've had two cell phones total since 2005, this shouldn't be too much of a shock). Where is the best place to buy the device for use on T-mo, and is there anything I need to know?
    edited April 2012
    Buy it at a reputable dealer: Amazon Wireless, Negri Electronics (I got mine there), Newegg or Expansys-USA. Check around on /r/GalaxyNexus for deals, or just post and ask where people have found it cheaply in the past.

All GSM Galaxy Nexuses work on any GSM network in the world. Just plug in the SIM and you're done. Expect it to run about $600, but your monthly bill will drop $20/mo. on T-Mo by bringing your own phone.

If you ever have aspirations of loading a custom ROM onto it, the very first thing you should do is unlock the bootloader, because that resets the data on the device. Might as well do it to get it out of the way so your data isn't at risk later.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Note: your bill will not automagically drop. You will need to change your plan to one of their non-contract, provide your own hardware plans. I think you can do this through the web interface (though last time I tried to look into it I was told there was a 1 time 50$ fee for moving from a contract plan to a non-contract plan, despite being out of contract).
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am in the same mental battle that UPSLynx is in. Do I wait a few months for the Galaxy S III or go ahead and pick up the Nexus when it releases on Sprint in a few weeks. Decisions, decisions...
    If you're on sprint, the HTC ONE X is a better phone. Time will tell how many people hack it, but I have high hopes for it.
    What makes the HTC One X better than the Nexus?
    Faster GPU (1.5-2x), full RGB stripe screen, faster CPU (1.5-2x), 28nm CPU vs 40nm (battery life).

Downside: it has HTC Sense bloatware.
    Yeah. I can't believe they went with EVO 4G LTE. Ugh. Even the HTC EVO X LTE would have been better.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Yeah. I can't believe they went with EVO 4G LTE. Ugh. Even the HTC EVO X LTE would have been better.
    Sprint HTC phones must be named EVO and Sprint Samsung phones must be named EPIC, you should know this LOL
    edited April 2012
    I just think calling it the "EVO 4G LTE" is bad marketing, because they could piggyback on two famous brands: EVO, from their own history, and "X" from HTC's "One X" branding.
    Faster GPU (1.5-2x), full RGB stripe screen, faster CPU (1.5-2x), 28nm CPU vs 40nm (battery life).

Downside: it has HTC Sense bloatware.
    Well everything I've read says the Evo 4G LTE or whatever won't be out until mid summer, if that's the case I might as well wait for the Galaxy S3.
    Aw snap, the 32GB version is discontinued? I can't find it on any of the sites you mentioned, @thracks. Just the 16.

This phone doesn't have removable storage, right?
    edited April 2012
    Aw snap, the 32GB version is discontinued? I can't find it on any of the sites you mentioned, @thracks. Just the 16.

This phone doesn't have removable storage, right?
    My understanding was AT&T and T-Mo (GSM) get 16GB version, Verizon and Sprint (LTE) get 32GB version in the states o.O
    eh, I guess I'm OK with that. I really prefer the 32, but I think I can deal..

Anyone have the Silver Nexus? Or does everyone here rock black?
    edited April 2012
    eh, I guess I'm OK with that. I really prefer the 32, but I think I can deal..

Anyone have the Silver Nexus? Or does everyone here rock black?
    you're going to put it in a fugly protective rubber case anyways so does it matter? ;)

• ZaticusZaticus Indianapolis
    I've been considering getting a new android phone. Trying to decide between nexus or razr max. I'm pretty sold on the nexus though...
    edited April 2012
    32GB is Verizon only, 32GB GSM version was canceled. I think everyone has the gun metal gray/black model, add the silver is very new. No removable storage on the nexus.
    32GB is Verizon only, 32GB GSM version was canceled. I think everyone has the gun metal gray/black model, add the silver is very new. No removable storage on the nexus.
    32GB is Sprint also http://www.sprint.com/landings/lte/index.html?INTNAV=TSC:AMP:040412:LTE:LP:LearnMore
    Cool. I'm thinking about rolling with this one on Newegg, good price and all. I think the silver looks good, but I kind of want opinions on it from those that have seen it. Newegg doesn't have the black version.

This isn't going to deter my decision, but I'm curious. What kind of realistic battery life are you guys getting with the GNex? I've spent a lot of time around @mertesn's GNex, but he's got the thing tethered to his power pack so often that I haven't got much of a feel for real-use battery life.
    Mine lasts about 16 hours with light usage. About 12 if I'm using it for lots of calls and surfing.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    If you follow Ryder, Thrax and I, we've been discussing battery life for ages. With the proper kernel and ROM, we're regularly hitting 30-50 hours on normal daily usage, which is probably on the light side. I rarely go to bed under 70% lately, and can go the whole weekend (Friday morning to Sunday night) without charging easily.