The Galaxy Nexus thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    GSM GSM GSM GSM.

$60 on T-Mobile for no contract, unlimited texts/calls, 2GB of data.

//edit: 2gb, not 3. typo fix.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Hmmm.. They're showing a unlimited voice/text/data for $70 with up to 5GB at 4G speeds, and $60 for same but with up to 2GB at 4G speeds. Very tempting.
    edited May 2012
    I failed to mention I currently have an unlimited Verizon data plan. I don't use it very heavily right now, but I've been tethering more often *cough* easytether *cough*. Additionally, I get 20% off with my company discount. Very few calls too. I really like the "pure Google experience" option though. :-\

//Edit: 20% off, not 10%. Makes it that much more difficult. #FWP
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is still a great phone. If you're sticking with Verizon, I'd say it's still your best bet.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Can you not use the GSM version with Verizon?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    No. Verizon is a CDMA carrier.
    I was under the impression that the GSM version had a CDMA antenna.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Newp.
    I need to get out of verizon if I want a global capable phone. ....

Blah.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am having the same dilemma. Do I wait for sometime this "summer" for the S3 or get a Nexus now.
    If you don't play 3D games on your phone (like the N64 emulator or any made-for-android game with a 3D engine), then the usability of the Nexus vs. the SGS3 is identical. Nexus has the perk of being available now, and the GSM version will get the next version of Android as soon as it's ready to go. The SGS3 will be 5-6 months behind, and covered in TouchWiz.

On the merit of software alone, I'd take the Nexus.
    Unless you really need a quad, GNex is top dog. Stock Android, perfectly fast phone, fantastic device.
    edited May 2012
    What do you think about the CDMA/LTE Nexus for the next version of Android? Think it'll be on the heels of the GSM version or follow the lovely Verizon cycle of "yeah, it's coming soon... wait no, in a month... actually, 3 months... soak test, yay!.... just kidding, pulled... nah, we're not releasing it."
    I think you're gonna get jerked around on Verizon. Hard to say on Sprint; real mixed bag there.

More to the point: CDMA is the afterthought service, because now there are only two major carriers in the whole wide world that use it. GSM will always come first for software upgrades.
    Ah, man. You're killing me. I think I'm going to end up GSM. Though, you do raise great points. My 4G Xoom is still behind on the official ICS update. Yeah, I think that just convinced me. Haha.
    Just ordered the GSM version. Now to get ready to make it better than Charity's. ;)

Thanks for the discussion and convincing me to go GSM.
    AOKP M5, Imoseyon's LeanKernel, Apex Launcher, and LCD density of 240 should get you started nicely. :) I'm sure Thrax will invite you to our GDrive of utils.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Once LTE becomes dominant, and AT&T and Verizon both switch to VoLTE (with appropriate coverage), then we will see convergence and devices will be available everywhere. This is still at least 5 years out for the most advanced areas (read: areas that are already covered by LTE), and at least 10 years for the rest of us.
    edited May 2012
    And then we get to spend the next 5 years after that bitching about multi-band LTE radios!

US Cellular/Verizon: 700MHz
    Verizon: 700MHz
    Sprint: 800/1900MHz
    AT&T: 700/1700MHz

And those 700MHz slices for AT&T/VZW/USC aren't the same band, either: Bands 12, 13 and 17. Clear as mud, as usual.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I'm sure Thrax will invite you to our GDrive of utils.
    ...ca...can I be a cool guy and get in on this too, @Thrax?

Yea, so the things that I liked most about the S3 are all software based. Hardware wise I was not that impressed. Looks like I'll most likely be picking up the Sprint version of the Nexus this weekend.
    Just ordered the GSM version. Now to get ready to make it better than Charity's. ;)

Thanks for the discussion and convincing me to go GSM.
    Ok, dumb question, but what is the discussion about GSM even about? I am a bit slow when it comes to cell phones so I'm not sure what that even means.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    And then we get to spend the next 5 years after that bitching about multi-band LTE radios!
    It's a part of the process. The same problem exists within the current GSM ranges.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Ok, dumb question, but what is the discussion about GSM even about? I am a bit slow when it comes to cell phones so I'm not sure what that even means.
    GSM and LTE are the 2 types of radios (4g). Sprint and Verizon use LTE. T-Mobile, AT&T, and.... use GSM.

Anyone who wants access to the Nexus Google drive, please PM me the address you use for that service.
    GSM and LTE are the 2 types of radios (4g). Sprint and Verizon use LTE. T-Mobile, AT&T, and.... use GSM.
    So what are the differences? I have Sprint, so I don't really have a choice in the matter unless I wanted to switch carriers, but I am a bit clueless when it comes to all this.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I don't understand your question Joe.. if you don't want to switch carriers and you want a Gnex, then buy it from the sprint store :)

There are no glaring differences in the 2 devices, save what Thrax has already covered (software, etc). Just 2 different radios so you get 4G depending on your carrier.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Just think of them as two different languages doing the same thing. Neither can understand one another, nor will they ever learn how to, but they accomplish the same task.
    OK, it's time. Off to the Sprint Store. Hopefully coming home with a Nexus.
    Argh!! So apparently switching from my nephew's employee plan to a family plan with my wife switched my upgrade eligibility. Now they say I am unable for an upgrade until September. I can pay a $40 fee to buy out the remaining time if I want (and then pay $199 for the Nexus.)