The Galaxy Nexus thread

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    What is your current monthly rate? I can't imagine your plan would cost you less than $40 between now and September.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am on a family plan with my wife. I think our bill is $120/mo.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    If you can live with your phone until September/October, the truly next-gen devices start appearing then.
    I have the original Galaxy S, so it's not a bad phone by any means. I'll probably just wait it out at this point.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Think I'll wait out my plan until I can get a global phone too :(
  • For people with the phone, what is a typical memory (RAM) usage profile like? I'm typically showing about 240 mb free with the phone just idling. I don't see anything in terms of performance that alarms me, but for some reason that just seems like it's reserves are limited? Maybe there are some things about the OS that I don't understand? Thanks.
    edited May 2012
    Android uses the same type of memory model that Windows 7 does: it tries to cache as many frequently-used apps/processes as it can in RAM for faster performance. These resources are dynamically freed when you want to do something the OS hasn't cached.

The amount of free RAM has virtually no bearing on the performance of an Android phone (or Windows 7, for that matter).
  • @Thrax - Thanks, I can't say I've seen anything performance wise that would have alarmed me, in fact that little phone is really snappy. I'm especially impressed by the shot to shot time on the camera, it's super fast. It's just one of those things as a hardware nut you just start poking around wondering if you could be running better, even though you have no reason to.... You know how it is!
    Hmmm... So Sprint is willing to give me a $60 trade in for my Galaxy S so that would offset the cost of the buyout plus a little bit more. Decisions, decisions. I'm jelly of all the cool kids and their fancy Nexus phones.
    Today I performed some housecleaning on the GNex repo: all files have been updated, folders have been restructured, and old files have been removed.

I've also made it publicly accessible to anyone with the URL.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Tired of living without a real car-dock, I went over to Amazon to order the generic one I wanted originally, and it's sold out. :(

Any Idea when the Samsung one is coming? The only one Samsung has released so far is the non-wired one, and it has some serious negative feedback on the Amazons.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    You know, I've absolutely love my Nexus, but for all the gruff we gave the people hating on the lack of gorilla glass, the actual Gnex glass is pissing me off. I've had three hairline scratches/cracks develop, one of which in the middle of the screen. I don't even know how this is possible considering how safe I've been with this device. There's nothing in my pocket other than the phone to be able to scratch the screen, and I don't toss it around or drop it.

Guess I need to get a case now before it gets any worse.
  • HH Gregg stores have a promo on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. $150 and you get a $100 HH Grergg gift card. So if your in the market thats about as good as it gets for a top of the line smaetphone. Seems to be in store only.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I have a small scratch as well, right in the middle, but it doesn't bother me much. Just 2-centing it.
    After a few weeks, the only complaint I have of the GNex is the external speaker. It's not nearly loud enough.
    Download and install Volume+.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Download and install Volume+.
    No help. Looks like I need to wait until it's ROMed.

You have to boost the volume level inside the app, and then reboot. Volume+ absolutely works by directly boosting the gain in the Android audio pipeline.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    So 4.0.4 was pushed OTA, but given my rootedness I was unable to perform when it counted (in b4 sounds like my ex wife).

Manually updated, holy cow - it's like an entirely new phone. Battery life has seemingly doubled and my radio reception is incredible. What was once a 2 bar 3G connection is now 3/4 bar 4G at home.

I'm blown away...
    Ah, the power of software.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    For some reason WiFi Tether is acting up with the new release, though.

I've had to resort to using FoxFi, which is fine, but every time I tether my laptop to it a new home/private/public connection is created. I'm on FBI_Van 8, now.

Anyone bumped into this before? WiFi Tether says that it's on and running, but no connection is able to be joined from my laptop - no SSID broadcast.
    I definitely am enjoying 4.0.4 on my Nexus S. I might not even try to buy a new phone when I can upgrade in September and wait out the next Nexus which most likely will be the debut of Jellybean.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Ah, the power of debugging.
    ftfy
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Anyone using CM10 (Unofficial), CM10 Official, EuroSkank JellyBro or Paranoid Android ROMs? Just scoping things out for my inevitable purchase. Comparison vs stock or your experiences with them would be marvelous.
  • I'm using this particular pre-rooted JellyBean image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849

I never thought I'd say this... but I have no desire to install some tweaked custom ROM. Not even CyanogenMod. This this is effing awesome as-is.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Yeah, I just bumped the LCD density on my OTA build and that's all the tweaking I've felt necessary to do, really.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That seemed to be the consensus. I'll probably be getting it later this month, and I'll mess around with some but may just settle on what you guys have done. We shall see.
    My GNex is getting a lot of screen burn in because it doesn't turn off when plugged in. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the GNex or with the ROM I have, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I know my Samsung Galaxy S II with Android 4.0.3 (Darkside ROM) does the same thing if you do not go to the "Developer Options" section of "Settings" and uncheck the "Stay Awake" option.