The Galaxy Nexus thread

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I'll go this weekend and try to play with the Nexus at the Sprint store. I might end up just getting it rather than waiting for the Galaxy III announcement next week, we'll see.
  • My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus arrives today. Finally joining the cool kid revolution!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Wait, Cliff, don't you think smartphones are dumb? D:
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    @Thrax - I think I'm having a mid life crisis! Need super rad phone to feel cool! Hope it works! :cool:
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    @Cliff_Forster I'm sure we'll hear about it if it doesn't ;)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Will just drop this off here:

The Nexus for $49.99 with two years Verizon service.

John.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That's a fantastic price o.O
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    So what kind of cases are you guys rocking on this phone? I love the form factor, but I really, really want to make sure it's protected.

@Mertesn, did you buy the non-rubbery otterbox for yours? Do any stores sell otterbox where I can look at them?

I remember really liking one of their four series cases at CES, it was mostly strong plastic without a lot of grippy stuff, but I don't remember the name of it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    So what kind of cases are you guys rocking on this phone? I love the form factor, but I really, really want to make sure it's protected.

@Mertesn, did you buy the non-rubbery otterbox for yours? Do any stores sell otterbox where I can look at them?

I remember really liking one of their four series cases at CES, it was mostly strong plastic without a lot of grippy stuff, but I don't remember the name of it.
    You're looking for the Otterbox Commuter case then. I had the Defender, and it was just too big. Right now there's just a basic sleeve on my phone (link). The glass is not going to scratch, and I just don't drop my phone.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    No case. Man up.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    No case. Man up.
    ^^

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    My idea of manning up does not involve the potential breakage of a $450 device :P
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    A $3-10 case isn't going to help much, either, IMO.

It's a well designed device, I honestly don't think you'll need to bother with one. I run bareback as well.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus a different form factor? I'm shopping for accessories, and I see some items that say they are for Galaxy Nexus (but not Verizon Galaxy Nexus).
    It's a tiny bit thicker than the GSM version, but not so much that accessories won't work.
    Is the Galaxy Nexus Prime something different?
    edited April 2012
    Is the Galaxy Nexus Prime something different?
    There's no such thing. One of the rumored names for the Galaxy Nexus was Nexus Prime, but that never came to be.
    edited April 2012
    These are the accessories I'm thinking of:
    Desktop charger (I have the Fosmon charger for my Incredible, and I love it)
    Car charger + mount + speakerphone
    Extended battery (Is this really worth it?)

If you plan on getting a case, I'd say skip it. The regular battery (for the Verizon version) is an 1850 mAh battery. The official extended battery is 2100 mAh - about 13.5% higher capacity. I don't personally believe the extra capacity will be enough to make a huge difference. @thracks, @snarkasm, and @Ryder have customized their installs to get some impressive battery life from the stock battery. I'd say go that route instead.
    If you want a car charger, wait for the official Samsung dash mount. The rest are very bad. You should also know there's a desktop charger, again officially made by Samsung.

The extended battery probably isn't worth it. You can get the same additional battery life out of a custom ROM+kernel, but if that's not your bag, then I suppose the battery is your cup of tea.
    If you want a car charger, wait for the official Samsung dash mount. The rest are very bad.
    It's true. I have a non-Samsung car charger, and it charges the phone fine when nothing is happening, but it just can't keep up when I'm using the navigation features. I'm currently using a NewTrent battery pack (11,000 mAh) to keep my GNex charged during heavy car usage.
    edited April 2012
    If you want a car charger, wait for the official Samsung dash mount. The rest are very bad. You should also know there's a desktop charger, again officially made by Samsung.
    What makes it bad? I mean: It's just a piece of plastic formed around some cable connections, yeah? Where could they go wrong? I was looking for an official Samsung version, but couldn't find it. How long until that might be out?

I looked at the desktop charger from Samsung and it's got an HDMI port built in, which I don't need, it doesn't have a place to charge an extra battery, and it a lot more expensive.
    The extended battery probably isn't worth it. You can get the same additional battery life out of a custom ROM+kernel, but if that's not your bag, then I suppose the battery is your cup of tea.
    I'll be having you MOD it for me at EPIC again, if you're still offering the service, but why not do both, does it really add so little extra life? How much bulkier does it make the device?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I have the extended battery, it adds about 0.1 inch to the back. Basically you can't notice it.
    edited April 2012
    1. The unofficial docks are often made with cheap materials, exhibit poor craftsmanship, or deliver less than the 1A of power required to actually charge the device while it's being used with maximum screen brightness + cellular radio + GPS. This is very common. The official dock is supposed to be here in May/June.

2. There are two Samsung desktop docks, one with HDMI and one without.

3. I'll be happy to mod at EPIC.

4. It adds about 10% battery life, or ~90 minutes on a stock device.

5. You'd never notice the extended battery unless someone told you it was there.
    edited April 2012
    2. There are two Samsung desktop docks, one with HDMI and one without.
    I only found this one, but it says it's for the Nexus S. Do you have a link to the Samsung branded dock without the extra HDMI port?
    Ironically, I can't find it at US e-tailers at a quick look, but this is the one you're looking for, the Samsung GN Desktop Dock. Have one myself and really love it. No more plugging in.
    That dock doesn't support data transfer, and it's still very expensive. I'll stick with the Fosmon desk dock. ;) I think I will wait a bit and see what the Samsung car dock is like, however, before making my decision on that one. I have an old universal car clip thing I can use in the meantime.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    So after the S3 announcement today, high potential for lack of Verizon support, and timeline "some time in the summer" for US release, I think I'm going to get myself a Nexus. My next dilemma is whether I get it with Verizon and renew my contract or buy the one from the Play store and pick AT&T or T-Mobile.

Any thoughts on that?
    I vote GSM. LTE version is a little thicker and heavier, and as mentioned, only works on Verizon. GSM version is a world phone, and has slightly better support in dev communities since it's a larger portion of the base.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    And I'm with you on the GSM version. I'm just not happy with my carrier choices. :-\ I like the T-Mobile unlimited plans, and they have a good coverage map in my area. Not sure how the coverage actually is, though. Hah.