Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    @CrazyJoe
    I have one similar to the first you posted. I love it. The Vostok is the AK-47 of the watch world; inexpensive, reliable, and durable. Mine keeps excellent time. It's a true dive watch, waterproof to 660 feet. I highly recommend it. The one you have there is known as a "Tankiski" because of the tank logo on the dial.

The difference between the two is the first one is an automatic; the last is hand-wound. In general, Amphibias are autos and the hand winders are known as Komradiskis (due to their military roots).

The seller you have there, Zenitar, is excellent to buy from. I recommend him. Furthermore, for info on Vostok design, this is a good read: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

Here's my new chinawatch, BTW
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Bezel design, hands, lume application. The Amphibia (the more expensive variant) theoretically has water resistance up to 200m, but the listing makes it impossible to assess the condition of the ribbed gasket that seals the caseback.

If you don't intend to go swimming with either watch, then one's as good as the other.
    Yea, I love the Red Star and the Tank specifically.
    I like the look of the Bezel design and the Arrow hand better in the Amphibia model so I think I'll go that way. Is there any difference in the actual mechanics of the watch?
    Yes. The movements are different.
    Here's the Amphibia 2416b auto-winding movement

Here's the hand winder:

The Amphibia is better:
    31 jewels vs 17 jewels (not a big diff really)
    Daily rate from -10/ to +30 s/day vs. Daily rate from -20 to +60 s/day

The only downside is 31 hr power reserve vs 38.
    So does the autowinding in the Amphibia mean that it winds itself without me having to remember to wind it ever 30 whatever hours? That's also a plus.
    When you see watches that say they're "automatic" it means they have a rotor inside the movement that, when you move your wrist, it winds the watch spring. If you wear the watch regularly and aren't completely sedentary, you shouldn't have to ever wind it. However, if you leave the watch stationary it'll eventually run out of power.

On the Amphibia, if I don't wear for a day I like to wind it every night just so it stays set. It's mildly annoying to have to push forward the date on automatic watches when you forget to keep it wound. LOL
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Oh, but I am. The Chinese Mechanical Mafia has grown by two this day.

YOU'LL NEVER CLAIM ME!
    Denial is one of the stages of addiction
    UPSLynx
  • will send out the item before 30 Dec. Normally, it takes about 1 - 2 weeks to arrive
    Lame.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I have a feeling, despite all the smack talk, I'll soon own a Parnis.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I can't play golf without worrying about the winding mechanism? For that kind of money...all I say is what!?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Got an early holiday gift.
    I really like the look of that watch. Is it quartz?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Thrax said:

I really like the look of that watch. Is it quartz?

Yes, quartz movement.

I'll just leave this right here.
    UPSLynx
    Are you going to replace the glass, Pete?
    Thrax said:

Are you going to replace the glass, Pete?

I'd like to send it in for a service and get the case cleaned up. The sides are polished and could use a touch-up, and the top is brushed. Some previous owner tried to open it from the top, leaving swirls in the brushed finish which you can see in the lower left of the photo. I'd like to re-finish the top side to remove those marks too.

The crystal may get by with just a polish job since it's plastic, but if not I'll have it replaced. All-in-all it should clean up well. I won't have to do anything with the hands or face.

Not bad for $60 on the 'bay.
    Is there a good way to polish up a plastic 'crystal' at home. Mine is getting a bit scuffed, but when I took it to a jewelry store and offered to pay them to make it look good again, they said "That is not possible."
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Toothpaste and a cotton ball. For real.
    Yep, make sure it's gritty crest toothpaste. If that fails, any polishing compound for plastic phone screens should also work.
    I highly recommend Flitz polish. Most auto parts places have it.
    Do you know what material is in Flitz?
    Thrax said:

Do you know what material is in Flitz?

I do not, but I used it for years back when I did aircraft interiors. It worked great for polishing all types of plastics.
    I'm trying to find an inexpensive compound for gorilla glass. It's an aluminosilicate material. 3M Trizact would work perfectly, but it's hideously expensive.
    edited December 2012
    Hmm... I use toothpaste to polish coins and pins already, I should have thought of that. :D

I'll give it a shot this weekend, thanks. :)

Also: Looking up Flitz, it says that it's 'non-abrasive'. So it's an acidic polisher?
    Flitz uses aluminum oxide as its polishing agent. It is abrasive.

http://www.flitz.com/images/document/MSDS - Flitz Metal Plastic Fiberglass Polish-Paste_16pt.pdf