Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I can also recommend Mothers plastic polish. http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06208.html
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Just saying: One of you is lying.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    They both may work for different reasons.
    I mean: either the package is lying or BuddyJ is, re: non-abrasiveness
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Buddy J isn't lying, he's just sharing the MSDS sheet from Flitz's own website. It seems like Flitz's chemists and marketers aren't talking to each other.
    I was not actually accusing BuddyJ of anything.

Also: Sorry for derail. We can go back to watch pictures now.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Engineers and marketing commonly use different vocabulary/ definitions. Consumers trend to overreact to words like "abrasive."

"oh no, it'll destroy my product" which is true... But that's what you want, in this case.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Agreed, anything that is going to polish something almost has to be abrasive. The whole concept of polishing is to remove the top damaged layer of the material.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Great Christmas present from my parents. A Bulova Precisionist. I love it, very classy.

UPSLynxBuddyJ
    Precisionist is awesome. Love it. :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Nice! I love Bulova.
    Toothpaste worked great! My watch is like new again. :D
    primesuspect
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Are there any good quality makers of replacement watch bands?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    MAGIC said:

Are there any good quality makers of replacement watch bands?

I've been very pleased with the replacement bands offered by www.sectime.co.uk. Even with international shipping, they're still good to buy from.

Yep. I buy from sectime, too.
    My first day back to work:

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    CB said:

Hmm... I use toothpaste to polish coins

Sily CB, you can't brush Washington's teeth on a quarter.

Because they're made of wood.

I like it.

I just got involved with the WUS 2013 forum watch project. They've taken vintage Sea-Gull ST-5 movements and are reconditioning them for use in a new, member-designed watch.

My watch will be #114 of the 150 being produced. Members are voting on many aspects of the watch's design. We just determined it will have a 39mm case size, and are in the process of voting on lug width, with 20mm currently leading the polls. Here are some potential designs for the watch. The goal is to pay tribute to traditional vintage Chinese watches, but with a modern take on it (larger size and quality of build).

I find the project to be quite interesting and am enjoying being a participant!
    I was really hoping for 40mm, but 39mm isn't bad, and I definitely prefer the 20mm lug. I decided to not go in on the project due to the leading dial designs, but I love that people are collaborating to keep a very classic design tradition alive. :)
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    New shiny arrived.

First thoughts: the strap is nasty and the rotor noise is a reasonable approximation of a hacksaw.

But dat dial.
    Dat movement.
    Dem hands.

The colouring transitions from metallic blue to black and just looks great with the offwhite/silver dial(s).

It's a much chunkier beast than my lil' Seiko, but with a new strap (and maybe a dab of grease on the rotor) it'll be the business.
    Yes, that watch uses the Sea-Gull ST25, which (unfortunately) is somewhat notorious for its noisy auto-wind rotor. If you intend to grease the watch rotor, however, be sure to use a lubricant specifically designed for watch movements, as you'll otherwise find a dead watch when that unspecialized grease gums up the works.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Cheers, I'd be getting a jeweller to grease the rotor if it's still an issue after a week or so of wear.
    I don't fancy trying to get the glass case back off myself without the right tool.
    The glass back is probably screwdown (I'll have to check my own). If it is, a bit of silly putty pressed down and spun to the left will open 'er right up. :)
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    I haven't been following the watch forums, that project watch looks interesting. What's the cost, and is it sold out?
    It's $170, with a $70 initial deposit required ASAP to be registered for a production unit.

This spreadsheet has all the info/links/etc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApQZlZC4a41udDhkN1o0a3V3S3hzQVpyb3hkUTR3Ync#gid=1
    edited January 2013
    There are 28 watches left in the project. It's filling up fast. Come play Keto!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Any recommendations on good watch cases to display all our swank watches?
    edited January 2013
    @Humerusmeg just got me this watch box for Christmas, and it is VERY good. It's nice and heavy, well-made, and the compartments are easily spacious enough to accommodate 47mm watches.

As for myself, I've just succumbed to a fit of weakness and bought a Stuhrling. I refuse to buy from them directly, or support their inflated pricing, but I didn't buy directly or at inflated prices. ;) Thanks, eBay!

I'll be picking it up when I'm back in the US for @alidra's wedding on the 24th.

I also have these watches on their way to me:

Sea-Gull M171s:
    BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER

Sea-Gull M182SK:

Sea-Gull M185SR:
    Thanks, dad!

Fuyate Whothefuckknows:

And the...

Rodina Nomos Orion homage:
    Cliff_Forster
    The M171s is nice. I approve.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sea-Gull M171s is fucking sexy. I also really like that last one.