The FINAL final Short-Media LAN #1 Thread

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Ageek wrote:
    How far is that little Blues Bar down in Hamtramack from where the LAN will be located??? Dang if I can remember the name, but it was a hangout I might want to revisit some time....:D

John D.

Did a little surfing, think it is the Attic Bar on Joseph Campau I am thinking of... It fits the Freep's description, was right where I remembered going (Jos. Campau @ Cannif area). And it was open back when I was younger and soem of the group used to go "bluesing." If I am right, it had a dart board on the front end of the game room, an autoscoring one. And the usual pool table. the stage room was long and typically smoky. I am one of the few patrons there who would consume 5 coca-colas and four Sam Adams, stay until 1:00ish, and then drive home via expressway.... Once ended up in Canada on the way back... :D The gang wanted something more lively, think we got home about 4 or 5 AM....

John D.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    Did your other one come in yet?
    Yes, I did get that Friday. Looks great, thanks :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Man, I'm really sorry you and Al_Capown can't come, Keebs... I hope something changes and you guys are able to make it. :(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Heh, well, that would require my 2-week trip to England to be cancelled so don't wish too hard :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    Due to some upcoming big changes in my life I may not be able to make it, as much as I want to. (The particular date was not a factor for me.) If I do come, it will likely be a last-minute decision (assuming there is still room).

It may seem disappointing right now to those whose schedules won't allow them to attend, but I'm sure this is but the first of many spectacular S-M Lan Parties.

Prime - if there is anything I can do to help make this a rousing success, just yell. Whether I can make it or not I hope that everyone there has a great time and (reluctantly!) leaves with the attitude that they can't wait for the next one.

Something tells me that this isn't the only chance we'll have to whoop it up together.
    :celebrate
    edited March 2004
    Keebs, I sent your reg fee along to the SMx fund. Thanks :)

Come on people, let's fill this thing up..

Hows about if I float a teaser of the SM LAN 2004 tshirt............ All attendees get one...... Would that get more people to sign up?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Well, as long as my race car isn't ready for that weekend, I should be able to attend. If the car is done though, I'll be at the track.
    edited March 2004
    Oh you race dork, just admit that you're coming...
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited March 2004
    I no go. T_T I'll see you SM kids at another LAN-time!
    edited March 2004
    Well, we're losing people, but not gaining any new ones..... Come on people! This is a fantastic opportunity to meet your online friends, celebrate the one year anniversary of this site, and play a bunch of games with a bunch of geeks in the basement of a coffee shop for two days straight. What more could you ask for? :vimp:

You get a T-shirt and there will be a bunch of other swag. We are planning on door prizes and who knows what else.

There will be an impromptu short-media jam session featuring me and shorty and whoever else plans on rocking out with us.

Come on! Sign up! Jeez! :D
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited March 2004
    Sounds Great!

I know I am a little behind around here (going on 3 months...) but I am planning on making it for the new date. As of now no conflicts can be seen and I am really looking forward to opening a good can of ass-whoopin :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I maybe able to make it after all... All depends on when the baby is born. The latest would be the end of April... I just maybe able to go. But I won't know until the week before the LAN. We'll see, we'll just see....
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Hey prime, we gonna have net access at the coffee shop?
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I thought I remember reading that there was 768k DSL..... I'm not positive though.

And how well 768k DSL will be for 60 people.. welll... :D
    edited March 2004
    Shared 512K DSL. Both wired and wireless.

The shop already has a "no Kazaa" policy - both for practical considerations (512K shared isn't much) and for ethical reasons. I'm going to politely request that the attendees refrain from using P2P apps or BitTorrent or doing unnecessary downloading for the consideration of the other attendees.
    edited March 2004
    ABOUT THE VENUE:

This is the good bit. The LAN will be held at Deebe's Coffee Bar in Warren, MI.

The basement, which is where the LAN is going to be held, is a huge open room with tables and chairs enough for everybody.

The internet access is 768K.

There is a wireless LAN in place for anybody who needs it.

you hath changed it
    edited March 2004
    The 768k was at was at Prime's old office if I remember correctly.
    edited March 2004
    ^ look at the quote, that was from Page 2 of this thread :D

unless prime officially dubbed his former offices "Deebe's Coffee Bar" ....
    edited March 2004
    It's either 512 or 768, now I'm not sure. It used to be 384K and then he got a major carrier and they bumped it. I'm pretty sure it's 512K, it might be 768.

IT DOESN"T MATTER IF YOU'RE NOT COMING, CAMERON :rarr:
    edited March 2004

IT DOESN"T MATTER IF YOU'RE NOT COMING, CAMERON :rarr:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this is the internet you are not to utter my REAL NAME!!!!!!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Shared 512K DSL. Both wired and wireless.

The shop already has a "no Kazaa" policy - both for practical considerations (512K shared isn't much) and for ethical reasons. I'm going to politely request that the attendees refrain from using P2P apps or BitTorrent or doing unnecessary downloading for the consideration of the other attendees.

What about Folding... can we Fold? ;)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Sorry guys, but It's a no-go for me. I simply have too much life stuff going on for the next few months. It's not money related (before prime starts fishing), it's a time factor. I just don't have enough time. :(
    edited March 2004
    Is anybody going this year or what? There are only 22 ppl on the short list compared to the 40 ppl we had before.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited March 2004
    Maybe we should post-pone till end of summer.
    edited March 2004
    Postpone again? No way.. As somebody else said earlier, we can postpone it forever, it will never be a perfect time for everybody. This date is definitely solid.
    edited March 2004
    Good point.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    No shorty? Mother****er.
    edited March 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    No shorty? Mother****er.

Let it out fella......need a tissue?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    :shakehead
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Sorry guys, but It's a no-go for me. I simply have too much life stuff going on for the next few months. It's not money related (before prime starts fishing), it's a time factor. I just don't have enough time. :(

No Shorty!?? :banghead: