ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    my planned itenirary is 7/27 - 8/2

let me check the ol' windows calendar.... 7/27 is Wednesday, so yea that would be good :) If you wanted to help me out with the case/monitor situation I would be forever in your debt :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Yep.. no problem. I'll mark you down for my 12" B/W monitor and microATX ase... ;D

19" Monitor & generic case... what PSU do you think you'll need? 400W be enough?
    edited June 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Yep.. no problem. I'll mark you down for my 12" B/W monitor and microATX ase... ;D

19" Monitor & generic case... what PSU do you think you'll need? 400W be enough?

w000t 12" B/w.... will be like back when I was young and got my first TV. :)

That stuff sounds great, 400W will def be sufficient. the system im bringing will be an AXP 3000+, soyo dragon kt400, 1gb pc2700, geforce 6600gt and soundblaster live. I def appreciate it, my big concern with taking a plane would be how I'd get my comp there but this sounds like it'll work out great if I pack my stuff well, I still have the original boxes and such so I think i can pack it to prevent breakage

\\\ and as a side note, just booked my flight, I'm officially coming to SMLAN05, w0000t
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    sweet
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Camman wrote:
    alright well I think I'm gonna stop with the malarky (w00t, word score) of last year and see sawing about whether or not I'm gonna go cause I KNOW you all want to meet me :D I'm going to book my tickets either today or tomorrow methinks cause it'll be $245 roundtrip on Northwest from Manchester->DTW (non-stop cause I'm afraid of layovers).

Do you guys think I'll be good if I like mail my computer parts via Fedex, UPS, or something of that nature like a few days in advance? That's how I'm planning on doing it. I'll probably order a cheapo case and have it shipped to casa de Prime and just donate it to SMx or something after the LAN so I dont have to ship it back. I saw a couple people saying they could bring along an extra monitor, anybody want to reserve one for me???

I'm a newb to this so anybody who did the ol' computer-shipping-cause-im-taking-a-plane deal last year let me know how you did it please :)

I think I'm the only one that shipped their pc parts. I just put them in a box, went to the UPS store and had them ship it. They suck! Pack the thing yourself with as much packaging material can fit. Then ship it via FedEx or UPS a day before leaving, use 2 or 3 day air and book your flight so you arrive 2-3 days earlier. Can't remember how much it weighed but it cost like $95 I think.
    edited June 2005
    Yeah, what he said - pack the thing yourself! Those UPS clowns don't give a crap about your computer.

It cost $85 to UPS that 20 pound box from puerto rico to michigan, IIRC.
    edited June 2005
    I've become a supar expert at shipping stuff cause of all the crap I've been selling on ebay. I cant imagine it would cost $85 to ship from Portsmouth to Detroit. I'll def be packing the stuff myself. I'll only be shipping the mobo, video card, memory, hard drive, and video card so i should be able to get it nice, secure, and snug-like in a box. Man I'm so excited that I'm going :D
    edited June 2005
    We're up to 31 now? That's AWESOME!!!!!
    edited June 2005
    I'm not counting my kids or myself, so actually we have 28 - which leaves 12 spots open.
    edited June 2005
    Ocomik says he may not be able to go after all... Looks like Q's driving solo :shakehead
    edited June 2005
    :(
    edited June 2005
    does anyone think it would be easier for me to just pack everything in a box and stuff it in my luggage? I have one of those huge suitcase dealies with the wheels and the box I'm going to using is pretty slim size and will fit all my components, I could probably just pack it nice and tight then slide it into the bottom of my suitcase and pack clothes on top of it to keep it from jiggling around too much. I can't imagine the baghandlers will be any worse than going through Fedex/UPS sort facilities.

Or will that arise too much suspicion, me being the shady looking guy that I am :eek3:
    edited June 2005
    He needs to be razzed.... ;D
    oCoMiK wrote:
    P.S. You know Q and I are down with helping out. If QCH tries to lay down some lame excuse about his MBA, I'll put the smackdown on him - you heard it hear first!
    From Here...
    edited June 2005
    I would think that packing the parts into you suit case would be cheaper, and beter protected, assuming you suitcase is rigid.
  • edited June 2005
    RyThom says he's going. He PM you yet Brian?

I'll be able to lend a couple (2) 15" monitors. They're not the best, but they're wayyy better than nothing. In fact, I used one at the LAN last year.
    edited June 2005
    TheSMJ - perhaps you haven't been keeping track of the attendees thread :p
    edited June 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I would think that packing the parts into you suit case would be cheaper, and beter protected, assuming you suitcase is rigid.

Yeah, my suitcase is like one of those upright kinds with the plastic surround so it's really hard and I'll package the stuff all good.

This won't arise any question with security at the airports will it? I only ask because I've only flown once and that was like over 5 years ago, so I don't know what the security procedures are. And I think we've gone over this before, but, X-ray scanning won't affect my hard drive or RAM or anything like that, right?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Make sure eveyone has some spare HDD space! :eek::eek::D
    edited June 2005
    Well guys, we need to start getting the registrations wrapped up, since we have to get shirts made and all that. I'll be closing the registrations on Saturday, June 25th.

If you're on the fence, now's the time to jump over it and register already! :D
    edited June 2005
    PS: If you don't see your name on this thread, that means you haven't PMed me a confirmation yet. If you think you're going, but you're not there, then I don't think you're coming yet! :eek2:
    edited June 2005
    Just paypal'ed you my registration fee, almost forgot about it, sorry! :)
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2005
    man this sounds like it is going to be great fun and while i wish i could come, I can't. Gotta start packing cause I'm moving, but if I were to come I would drive. Hope you guys have a good time and post some pics when it's done. Would love to see how much fun it was and maybe I will be able to make it next year.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2005
    Let me get this right, we're gonna be setup in Prime's backyard under a huge white tent (At the height of summer) with no air conditioning?!?

SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!

Here's a prediction, very little gaming will get done in the daytime, but come sundown.. everyone will be yelling and screaming. And there might even be some playing computer games.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Camman wrote:
    Just paypal'ed you my registration fee, almost forgot about it, sorry! :)

Me too, must remind myself to do that this evening...
    edited June 2005
    Anybody who doesn't have UT2K4 can buy it today and tomorrow at gogamer.com for $9.90 + $1.99 shipping. This is the DVD version. Crazy price!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That is a good price!
  • SewerTrooprSewerTroopr Ann Arbor, Michigan
    edited June 2005
    Anybody who doesn't have UT2K4 can buy it today and tomorrow at gogamer.com for $9.90 + $1.99 shipping. This is the DVD version. Crazy price!

Aaaqrgh! I just bought it at Amazon.com a few hours ago. Oh well, Amazon's prices aren't too bad either.

I also ordered Half-Life 2 and Pacific Fighters. I'll pick-up Battlefield 2 before the LAN since it has a lot of buzz.

I'm not sure how much FPS I'll be able to do before the LAN. I'm still addicted to Rome Total War. So many games, so little time....
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I'm actually not a big gamer and low on funds. I'll see about UT2K4 and HL2 though... never played either.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Teh PAIDZOR!
    edited June 2005
    One week left to register! :( I'm actually quite surprised at the low turnout. Everyone gets so hyped up about the event and then when we actually nail everything down, not that many people sign up! :scratch:

What happened to the Missouri crew? Leishi? Anybody else from the east coast? Come on people! This only happens once a year! :thumbsup: