Black and White Game on Windows XP?

123457»

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Dazcoen wrote:
    Hi, I just recently pulled the game back out and intalled on my XP system, I've got the same problem as this...When it autosaves or manual save this happens! I have current drivers and patch v1.20. but still to my frustration!

It's really bugging me and would much much appreciate if anybody has remedied this??

Cheers,
    Daz.

Same problem for me as above one. Does anyone have exact problem or maybe someone fixed it and want to share his experience?
    I never got any problems with graphics or so in B&W. I started playing game on patch 1.20. I also doubt if there is any need to change compatibility or remove any hotfix, cause I was playing this game for many hours without any problem. And then, just like it, game started to crashing when I tried to save it. No matter automatic or manually. Any ideas what to do?
  • edited February 2007
    Ok, I am also having issues with Black & White (gee what a surprise, right?), and I have looked through the topic and so far have not been able to find this question from someone else. If I just missed it, tell me which post to look at if you don't mind please.
    Black & White works perfectly fine most of the time, but occasionally after about 5-10 minutes of play it will do the messed up graphics thing where objects dissapear and textures are stretched all over the place. This only happens, I would say about 1 out of every 3-4 times I try and play.
    Also, if I minimize the game, even for a second, it will go into the same messed up graphics mode when I restore the game.This happens every time I minimize the game...
    I have really been looking hard and trying as many options as I can, but so far no luck.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    sounds like your video card is dying or overheating.
  • edited February 2007
    Wow that would suck, but I do not think it is that because I play a lot of games on my computer and I end up minimizing a lot and no other game does this. Most of my games have newer graphics, but thats the only main difference that I can think of.
    Plus I just got my computer less than 6 months ago, so I hope it isnt having problems already...
  • edited March 2007
    Note: My english really sucks because im latin, you know..

Well... I really do hate posting in old threads, but I REALLY wanna play B&W =(.

This is the problem: I run runblack.exe ... Black screen for at least 20 seconds.. Black and white logo for not even 1 second (it flashes). Black screen again.
    In the first cinematic (with all those dots..balls..whatever) i can see some lines bothering all around..
    Cinematic. LINES EVERYWHERE OMFG... , psicodelic colours everywhere..

Uhmm. I tryied to update but my runblack.exe is so damn cracked that i can't update because of that. I have already tryied with the compatibility tricks but nothing.

My PC:

Windows XP Home edition
    nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000
    256 RAM

Thank you indeed.
    Matías
    Buenos aires, argentina :).
  • edited March 2007
    Please help me... If you can solve my problem i'll join to folding :3!!
  • edited April 2007
    Please HELP. A month and a half have passed and I have no response... Please help :(.

Matías.
  • xerxezxerxez South Africa
    edited April 2007
    This game is seriously lagging with GeForce FX 5200 on Windows XP. I've installed the latest forceware & drivers, set game detail to lowest, set up 3D settings for best performance and other compatibility tune ins but still... Any suggestions?
  • edited June 2007
    I took the effort to register to say...

SCREW THIS! This game sucks! I can't believe how much these guys at EA and Lionhead suck. They're useless pricks. This POS game lags and jerks on my PC, whereas Half Life 2 will run at maxed out resolution very smoothly. Not only that, It looks horrible, I can't play it 1600 x 1200. I have to turn on EVERY compatibility option and put it to 98/ME to make it work.

I can play B&W2, which I don't think is as fun and it looks better and runs fine. Wtf? I'll save you all the time, either buy an old cheapy PC to play old junk games like this on, buy B&W2, or don't play any B&W games, they're not that awesome. I've spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to make this game work, and if my P4 3 GHz, MSI 6600 GT, 1 GB of memory, and all my other good components can't play this, it's a waste.

You know, a lot of you may have problems because you're cheap asses and don't buy some damn new graphics cards! God, who still uses a FX or even Geforce 1-4 card? Buy at least a 6x Nvidia or a 9x ATI. God you people are cheap! If you're trying to make an old school gaming rig, that may be fine but this game is on the fine line between old junk (leaning towards junk) and too new for an old pc.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    :wtf:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2007
    Shintsu wrote:
    I took the effort to register to say...

So you took the effort to register just so you could thread-crap, insult people, and be a jerk. Wow, thanks for your contribution to this long running thread. :thumbsup:

Dexter...
  • edited June 2007
    I installed black and white and then i installed the patch 1.1 and 1.2. and when 1.2 finished installing i tried to start the game and when it did this little white box appeared and then it wouldnt start up. please help.:(
  • edited September 2007
    Anytime you have to disable Fastwrites, it is an indicator of an incompatibility between the Videocard and the Mainboard, VIA and SiS boards are well known to have issues with Geforce cards and usually need this.

Ok, heres how to get it running.

1. Download and install the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, this installs a large library of automated game fixes, that are activated upon program launch.
    The Application Compatibility Toolkit from Microsoft. It will automatically apply fixes to hundreds of programs to enable them to run under XP. You can find it in the \Support\Tools directory of the XP CD, though a much better bet is to download it from www . microsoft . com/windows/appcompatibility/default.mspx because newer versions are always being made available online.
    2. make sure the disk is unscratched, the protection on these disks is a total ass to get past when the disk is scratched and will cause crashes at start.

3. Install the 1.2 or 1.3 patch, it doesn't matter whether you have the G5 or not, 1.3 still has compatibility fixes over 1.2.

4. Set to Windows 2000 compatibility mode, or NT4 SP5 compatibility mode.

5. Adjust black and white to use the same Resolution as the desktop, or the desktop to that of black and white.

6. in the compatibility tab, disable theming services, this will help somewhat.

i have played Black and white on my 5900XT without crashes using Forceware 70+, i also have the forementioned hotfix's installed and they do not cause me issues.

if black and white is unreasonably slow, disable the AGP Texture acceleration (only necessary on newer drivers)
  • edited October 2007
    Hey all. So like most others I have B&W (deluxe)and win XP. I cannot get it to work so i found my way here, although i was already guessing that i needed a patch. Ive downloaded the v1.2 patch for B&W but when I try to open it for septup it says it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I assumed that it was because the file was corrupt, but i have downloaded the same patch from three different locations and all of them do the same. I even tried running the patch on a different machine and it still does the same thing, so any assistance that anyone can give me would be appreciated.
  • edited October 2007
    try running the patch in Win 2k compatibility
  • edited October 2007
    Ive tried compatibilty, but... no go. I have a zipped copy of the file as well as an unzipped, both aquired from different locations. When I try to open the zipped copy winrar diagnostics says, "unexpected end of archive" "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged" and then "Cannot execute C:\documen~1\hp_adm~1\locals~1\temp\rar$ex00.579\black_and_white_patch_v1_20.exe"
  • edited October 2007
    use a download manager to redownload it. the file is corrupted.
  • edited October 2007
    ok. ill try gamespot
  • edited March 2008
    ok so i have read through this forum top to bottom and i think ive tried everything mentioned. and i still get an error when i try to run BW. Everything installs properly, but when i try to run it i get 2 errors. They essentialy same the same thing but i will put both in this post.
    ~first one that come up says:
    "A required .DLL file, DINPUT.DLL, was not found"
    ~after you click ok it goes to this error
    "The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\DINPUT.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."
    i have tried running the patch no effect, and i have changed the compatibility mode and i get the same erors everytime. please HELP i miss my BW :(
  • edited March 2008
    and let me guess, you haven't thought to download dinput.dll from one of the many DLL download sites and place it in windows\system32.

though it should be there anyway, so the fact it isn't is worrying.
  • edited March 2008
    ive checked and th DINPUT.DLL file is there. It may not be in directory that its looking in. If anyone has any other suggestions
  • edited March 2008
    DCHunter wrote:
    ive checked and th DINPUT.DLL file is there. It may not be in directory that its looking in. If anyone has any other suggestions

well, as to the other message, it now leads me to believe that the file is corrupted.

you will need to expand the original version from the XP CD
  • edited March 2008
    umm i dont have an XP cd. (wink) i shoulkd be able to get that from a DLL site wouldnt i?
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    where did you get your computer? was it a gift from a friend or from work?
  • edited March 2008
    I Got it from a friend. and i have recently aquired a XP pro cd, formated the drive so it was wiped clean, and reinstalled XP and im still getting the same error. I have also tried it on my wifes computer that uses XP pro and it loaded No problem its just the computer doesnt have the proccessor to run it smoothly. just stutters. ive even gone as far as to take the file it says its missing and coppied it from the computer it works on to mine and no such luck.
  • edited October 2010
    Old thread I know, but I just installed this game on my XP SP3 system and had the choppy framerate problem. I solved it by rolling back my NVIDIA driver (as per one of the suggested fixes) to the default Microsoft NIVIDIA display driver 5.6.7.3 dated 2004, and now the graphics are perfect, and at Maximum detail.
  • edited October 2010
    avoidz wrote:
    Old thread I know, but I just installed this game on my XP SP3 system and had the choppy framerate problem. I solved it by rolling back my NVIDIA driver (as per one of the suggested fixes) to the default Microsoft NIVIDIA display driver 5.6.7.3 dated 2004, and now the graphics are perfect, and at Maximum detail.

That choppyness is fixed, or atleast should be fixed by changing the Direct3D setting to Hardware Transform and Lightening in the GFX config.

by default it is set to a D3D6 mode that is not so good.