Kerbal Space Program

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Congratulations!
    I made it out to Eeloo. Maybe I have enough delta-V to get back to Kerbin...
    RyanFodderErrorNullTurnip
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    So far my career in Kerbal is either A- Explosive, or B- Lost in Space. I can get some decent rockets built, but I guess efficiency is my problem. I think the highest altitude I have achieved is about 300k, at which point usually the rocket is going fast enough that it breaks free of Kerbal's gravitational influence and starts orbiting the Sun and gets stuck that for about a year, in which case I just destroy it because I feel bad for the Naut'
    d3k0y said:

So far my career in Kerbal is either A- Explosive, or B- Lost in Space. I can get some decent rockets built, but I guess efficiency is my problem. I think the highest altitude I have achieved is about 300k, at which point usually the rocket is going fast enough that it breaks free of Kerbal's gravitational influence and starts orbiting the Sun and gets stuck that for about a year, in which case I just destroy it because I feel bad for the Naut'

Are you launching straight up? Once you get into the upper atmosphere you need to start flying along the ground to pick up orbital velocity.
    midgaErrorNullTurnip
    Yeah that is probably my problem, I just of just point it and then just try to keep the circle centered on the big ball thing that probably has an official name I don't know. I have gotten myself to orbit before, but I kind of used all my fuel to do so, so I had to blow that one up too since I couldn't get it back down.
    midga
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

So this is happening!

I want to see what kinds of crazy things you guys can come up with. I'd actually like to try and reclaim an asteroid with parachutes (what could go wrong, right?), but first things first...

midgatrooster89
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

OOOOOH SNAP. Can't wait to grab myself one ah' them asteroids..

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

drasnorErrorNullTurnip

Yeah! Gene Kerman is telling you how it's going to be.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

ErrorNullTurnipThrax

That is a pretty impressive amount of control on that launch

New KSP patch adds difficulty classes and hard mode is hard. I haven't killed any Kerbals yet but not for lack of trying. I just ran out of propellant on ascent from Mun surface. My poor Kerbal ejected, grabbed all the science from the different modules, finished that sometime after apoapsis of the suborbital trajectory and made up the delta-V shortfall on his jetpack. My Kerbal orbited Mun by himself for a full Kerbin day before I could get a rescue ship out there and get all that science.

BasilErrorNullTurnipRyanFodder
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Sounds like the plot of a movie.

RyderErrorNullTurnip
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Sounds like the plot of a movie.

All he did was stir the fans

I made a new science spaceplane with the 0.25 spaceplane parts.

The new cargo bays are pretty versatile; I've got two of probes and some more sciencey things in there. I like this setup, the plane flies well and getting the probes in and out of the bay is pretty easy.

primesuspectErrorNullTurnipRyanFodder

Merry Christmas from Space!

PirateNinjaRyderprimesuspect
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

No monoprop is pretty serious.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@RyanFodder said:
    No monoprop is pretty serious.

I... yes it is.

I'm back again, being crazy in 1.0 with some serious stuff. Today, I attempted the "impossible"; a SETM (Single Engine To Mun). I had a contract to use the "Mammoth" engine in Munar orbit, but how to get it there? This is the biggest engine in the game! I had a spark, and then put it in the game. You'll notice my rocket has no necessities, like batteries, solar panels, or SAS because I didn't actually think this would work. It totally did, so Enjoy!

(FYI, this is all stock, except for Kerbal Engineer, which just helped me calculate Delta V)

This is the Bad Boy, SETM. It uses asparagus in the middle part.

Since I didn't expect this to work at all, I didn't take many photos until I realised it DID work. This is SETM at its destination! Here, you can also see the inside.

After my main contract was complete, I thought to myself, "Who wants space-debris? Let's go home!"

So I did.

I still had about 900 units of fuel before SETM burnt up in the atmosphere. This rocket had no problem going up, and was (surprisingly) very stable! only annoyance was waiting for it to rotate. A+ Rocket design and Flight skills

CrazyJoeRyderdrasnorRyanFodderErrorNullTurnip
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Why kid grew up? Sigh

RyderBobbyDigiErrorNullTurnip
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

So he can rocket science like @drasnor.

BobbyDigiErrorNullTurnipRyanFodder

First post since 1.0! Happy 4th of July and congratulations to the Women's US World Cup team!

BobbyDigiprimesuspectRyder
    edited August 2015

Sometimes when you're just too good at KSP you goof around. Made a Motorcycle Glider

Chooch

Made arguably one of the most recognizable rockets in history: The R7

This is the rocket that launched Sputnik into space, for those that don't know it. My model is a fair bit bulkier than the real one, but it works as intended. Here you can see it doing the classic "Korolev's Cross"

primesuspectRyanFodder

Here is my Sputnik model in orbit of the Mun. Has enough Delta V to land on the surface

primesuspectRyanFodderdrasnor

For those of you that are curious about Korolev's Cross, watch this video:

You've got to respect the R7. They've been flying it for almost 70 years with few changes. A classic Russian design which relies on the upper stage engine to blow apart the support structure between stages to separate.

RyanFodder

I made an SSTO spaceplane that actually has worthwhile performance in KSP career mode (1.04.861). Unfortunately, it requires the top science lab to get the necessary unlocks. I hope they do something about that in a later patch.