Throwing out the challenge!

1235»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If someone can help me figure out how to better cool my crappy laptop, I'll have it folding too. It's a decent processor in it - Pentium M 2.0. The computer just runs the cooling fan (small jet taking off) whenever something even just a little CPU intensive is engaged. (Very poor design of a laptop.)
  • edited May 2005
    i'll have my dad's and sisters computer folding next week.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    I run my 1.6 P-M Dell all the time. The 2 fans are on full power all the time as well. The one at 7200rpm.

What brand is the laptop?
    edited May 2005
    Gateway.
    edited May 2005
    There are some kids in my class that have gateways. DeVry has a deal with them and we can get a crappy discount on one laptop from Gateway. Some play games and the fan will spin up then slowly start to slow down to a stop then speed up again once the temps rise again.

Can you take it apart and apply some some Arctic Silver to the CPU?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Leo, my dell inspiron did that same thing until I took it apart and traded the cheap crap thermal pad they had on there with some AS5. Now, it runs almost always silent unless the ambient temperature gets crazy.
    edited May 2005
    Yeah I need to do that with my Dell.

I was surprised Dell actually gives out the instructions for taking apart their laptops.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    hmmmm....thats got me thinking about the wife's laptop...SM21.5 :rarr:;D

gotta find the screwdriver small enough first tho
    edited May 2005
    Leo, my dell inspiron did that same thing until I took it apart and traded the cheap crap thermal pad they had on there with some AS5.
    Ah, why didn't I think of that before! Actually, I tried disassembling the motherboard disassembly from the chassis - couldn't do it. There's a screw or catch somewhere that I couldn't find, holding the assembly firm. Hmm, guess I need to got to Gateway's site and find a manual.
    edited May 2005
    I couldnt get mine apart either. I have the instructions now tho.
  • edited May 2005
    As soon as i get my comp fixed i am joining Team 93 with a 2.53 P4 and a 1.7G Pentium M. Oh and how about changing your screennames to Folding for Life -- Team #93 or something
    edited May 2005
    I couldnt get mine apart either. I have the instructions now tho.
    Oh. So it isn't just me. I mean, I thought I was pretty good with computer hardware, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to dismantle that Gateway.

Marc, if you have those instructions in soft copy, would you please email them to me?
    edited May 2005
    I have a Dell Inpiron like Brian. I am not sure if the instructions will work for a Gateway. I will send them if you want to tho.
    edited May 2005
    Go ahead. No harm if it doesn't work. Not like we're wasting paper.
    edited May 2005
    Well I found the link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8600cr/index.htm?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

The service manual. Download, Extract and its some .htm files like a webpage.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    Ive moved into the top 200 and am racing up. Im hoping to be in the top 20 before year end, move over and make room for the gobbler..
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    Ive moved into the top 200 and am racing up.
    Great work!
    Gobbles wrote:
    Im hoping to be in the top 20 before year end, move over and make room for the gobbler..
    prof's been trying this for a couple months now... I'm proving to be an annoying roadblock :rarr:
    edited May 2005
    I have a Dell Inpiron like Brian. I am not sure if the instructions will work for a Gateway. I will send them if you want to tho.
    Marc, I found the service manual for my laptop (Gateway 600YG2, Pentium M 2.4) and downloaded it. To access the mainboard or CPU cooler, you have to first remove the keyboard retainer and keyboard. It's a very simple operation. So tomorrow, after cleaning the heatsink and applying Arctic Silver 5, I should be in business with a new Folding machine. The P4M 2.4 ought to do a pretty good job, I would think.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Nice going, Gobbles. :thumbsup:
    Great work!
    prof's been trying this for a couple months now... I'm proving to be an annoying roadblock :rarr:
    A couple of years, actually. :banghead:

But I will get there. Yessir, I will. :csimon:
    edited May 2005
    PM 2.4GHZ?? Damn that thing must fly. I didnt know they were out that fast already.

Yeah after looking at mind I found out that the CPU was on top of the board. I have to take the keyboard off as well. I was trying to take the bottom off and stuff since the fan and heatpipe is on the bottom.
    edited May 2005
    Wonderful. :mad: Now the notebood won't boot . :mad:

Thought I'd throw in my help-requested link so as not to sidetrack this thread. OK back on topic - yeah, once I get the notebook running again, it should be a good folder.