WARNING: Catalyst 3.8's Overheating Radeon 9800's

167891012»

Comments

• SidescraperSidescraper South Jersey
    edited November 2003
    ledribaen said
    To be safe(and to try the Call of Duty demos which crash using 3.8 cat drivers)I've installed 3.7 drivers over my old 3.8 drivers. The only problem is now I can't watch TV on my computer! I hear the sound but no picture. No problem watching tv on 3.8! Help!!

I don't if this will work for you, but try uninstalling both your WDM tuner drivers (there might be a bunch of them) and your tuner software, then install first the WDM drivers, then the tuner software. I have an old ASUS Deluxe Combo card, and had to fiddle around to find the right combo of drivers and software.
  • edited November 2003
    Well I got an RMA # to get my 8500 replaced. All I can say is thanks ATI for having a 3 year warranty! I really couldn't believe that the warranty was more than 1 year like most products these days. ATI rocks! gg.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Does that warranty only apply to Retail ATI cards or both OEM & Retail?

3 years on an OEM card would be unheardof!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    AFAIK, it applies to all built by ATi cards.
  • CAGCAG Boca Raton, Florida
    edited November 2003
    Not sure if this is relevent but in another forum I post to, one of the posters who has the 3.8's reported an ATi cookie in his cookie folder that seems to show up everytime he starts his machine. He deletes it but it comes back everytime and he hasn't been on the ATi site in a while. I have the 3.7's but no ATi cookie.

Just thought I'd mention it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    CAG had this to say
    Not sure if this is relevent but in another forum I post to, one of the posters who has the 3.8's reported an ATi cookie in his cookie folder that seems to show up everytime he starts his machine. He deletes it but it comes back everytime and he hasn't been on the ATi site in a while. I have the 3.7's but no ATi cookie.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Spyware in videodrivers? :wtf:
    edited November 2003
    Mackanz:

Those were my thoughts. The poster emailed ATi support about it earlier today but they had not gotten back to him/her yet. Can anybody out there with the 3.8's confirm this?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Running 3.8s -

Has an ATi cookie from the site, deleted it, restarted and nothing else appeared so it must be a fluke.

Could be from him having a shortcut to the ATi site somewhere that he has accessed, or even a link on the IE links bar.

NS
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited November 2003
    I have an ATI card, soft modded to a 9800 Pro. I have been using the 3.8 drivers. I have a temp probe, on the back of the card, directly under the engine. My temps run from 40 C/104 F, at idle, to 52 C/125 F, under load.
    I have tried the 3.7 drivers, but got no change in temps. And the temps were the same using either the stock heatsink/fan or a Zalman ZM80A cooler. So far, no visual problems at all.
    But what should the temps be, and how hot can things run before damage occurs?
    edited November 2003
    NightShade737 had this to say
    Running 3.8s -

Has an ATi cookie from the site, deleted it, restarted and nothing else appeared so it must be a fluke.

Could be from him having a shortcut to the ATi site somewhere that he has accessed, or even a link on the IE links bar.

NS

Thanks. I'll let him know.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited November 2003
    Anything over 1000 degrees celsius can damage your card.
    edited November 2003
    DogSoldier had this to say

Mine runs @ 1003 Celsius. Should I be worried?
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited November 2003
    DogSoldier says that 1000 degrees C, will damage a video card. CAG says his runs at 1003 C.
    Did you guys forget a decimal point?
    If it actually is 100.0 and 100.3 C, then I'm feeling good about mine getting to 52 C.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My GeForce 3 raun at 83'c, but it really shouldn't go much higher otherwise things will start melting (something about the internals of a proc melting @ 120'C).

NS
    edited November 2003
    Some of Intel's mobile CPUs can handle up to 90*C junction temperatures. Their i810 chipset has a maximum case (case of the chip, that is, not the computer case) of ~125*C. It depends on the chip. To be on the safe side, the highest you should run any chip is ~60*C.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    DogSoldier had this to say

CAG had this to say

Mine runs @ 1003 Celsius. Should I be worried?

Both are jokes/typos right?
    edited November 2003
    I would hope so!
    edited November 2003
    Dragstk had this to say
    DogSoldier says that 1000 degrees C, will damage a video card. CAG says his runs at 1003 C.
    If it actually is 100.0 and 100.3 C, then I'm feeling good about mine getting to 52 C.

Just another one of my failed attempts at humor.
  • atakatak Germany
    edited November 2003
    Hi Ho to all

I played Call of Duty and everything was great but after 2 levels my screen froze and on my monitor and i had only colours on it....than cod close and i was @ my desktop with the VPU Recover that has changed my settings like 32bit to 16bit and 1024 to 800. Ah and my Monitor settings 85 Hertz to 60 Hertz....i had this **** problem 3 times and i dont know what da hell is going on !!!!

(sorry for my bad englisch)

Now I´ve changed the catalyst from 3.8 to 3.7
    Hope thats was the error.....
  • edited November 2003
    CAG had this to say
    Dragstk had this to say

Just another one of my failed attempts at humor.

I thought it was funny. I guess you just need a sense of humor ;D
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited November 2003
    Cag, I thought it was funny. Maybe, just maybe.. not everyone shares our brand of humour.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    This thread is now closed. It has become too long and is straying off topic.

Catalyst 3.8 discussion can be continued here.
This discussion has been closed.