WARNING: Catalyst 3.8's Overheating Radeon 9800's

Comments

• edited October 2003
    honestplayer had this to say
    Great. Just great.... I have a 9800np flashed to 9800pro. I recently did a fresh clean install of winxp pro and installed the Catalyst 3.8 drivers. Everything seemed perfectly fine. I went over to overclockers.com and saw the article on the Cat's 3.8 drivers were bad. So I uninstalled the drivers from the control panel. I then deleted the entire ATI directory. I went to guru3d.com and downloaded the 3.7 Catalyst drivers and the control panel. I installed the 3.7 Catalyst drivers and did not have to install the control panel as it was already there. About a half hour later my monitor started going really staticy and then cut off completly. I tried to pull the power but I was too late. Now my monitor is not working at all and is sitting in my basement. Was this because of the drivers or was this because my monitor is simply old? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

without a doubt - if your going to reinstall the 3.7 cats - you should reinstall control panel.

i heard some earlier posts about people saying that monitors died AFTER reinstall somewhere in the forums - and now i wonder if the only problems with 3.7 are related to NOT uninstalling the control panel.

so if anyone is uninstalling 3.8 cats - i think it VERY VERY wise to reinstall everything including the ATI control panel. just uninstall 3.8 and then after reboot - delete the ATI directory altogether.

that might be the best way to make sure you do it so that you properly reinstall the previous drivers.

in essence you were using 3.8 control panel (with VPU?) with 3.7 drivers, making for potential problems.

Wait. I don't think it has to do with the the control panel or maybe.... well here are the links to the two files I downloaded:

http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=671
    http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=669

After I uninstalled the Catalyst 3.8's I deleted the entire ATI directory which was in my Program Files directory since I set the installation directory there. All of that was deleted. I checked the Advanced Menu in my display properties and everything was gone.
    I then installed the Catalyst 3.7 drivers(first link) and after my machine rebooted I checked the Advanced Properties and the control panel was already there. It's not the same as the Catalyst 3.8's control panel but just the regular 3.7's.
    So, no there was no VPU shown in the control panel of the 3.7 drivers.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to Short-Media Midnight! :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your card. :(

Could you provide us with a little more information regarding your system and your video card.

IE, video card manufacturer, amount of RAM, drivers installed, was the card overclocked and some information regarding your system specifications.

Thanks.
    Midnight had this to say
    Well, my 8500 just died. I noticed increased freezing up, which just from feel of the heat sync I am pretty sure is due to higher temps using the 3.8 drivers.

I can't explain it, but my card certainly is dead. Shortly after I installed the new drivers I noticed that my card was freezing up several times a day. Now it's just dead.

I know it was reported to not affect 8500 cards, but maybe those other guy's cards are just running different systems, refresh rates etc. Just fyi, I run 1600x1200 @ 85 hertz and 1024 @85 Hz for gaming.

Anyway, I guess I'll wait a few days and then get a FX 5700.

:banghead:
  • edited October 2003
    I added more info to my previous post.
  • edited October 2003
    Wow I wasnt aware of this problem ...I've had cat 3.8's installed since the day they were released and havent had any of the problems mentioned here,in fact ive been really impressed with 3.8's overall, everything runs great... has ATI responded/commented on this at all?
  • edited October 2003
    Do y'all think it has something to do with Vsync? or what about the write combing option windows XP gives us.

Just throwing ideas on the table

Later
    Vic
  • edited October 2003
    I just built my new system right when the 3.8 drivers came out so those were the first drivers on my new system. Shortly after installing the 3.8s my monitor would turn black..the light would turn orange. Restarting fixed this issue. Then the monitor would start to flicker really wierd...when I clicked on icons the whole screen would flash multiple times. At first I thought the videocard was damaged. So I opened up the case and re-steated videocard and touched the back of the card and wow....seriously put a burn mark on my hand. After restarting problems still weren't fixed so I installed cat 3.7s and problems went away I consider myslelf very lucky for uninstalling the 3.8 since there were no reported issues at the time about the monitor/videocard burnouts. Im sure that ncix is happy that Im not sending my 500 dollar monitor /radeon9800pro back to them. I feel sorry for the people that lost hardware to this driver issue :/ Hopefully ATI fixes this issue as soon as possible.
  • TubbyTubby Maryland
    edited October 2003
    BlakeT, I had the exact same problem as you and this is not just coincidence. As my previous post explained after using the 3.8s my monitor started blanking out as well and losing signal. I wrote ATI and sent a PM with my phone number to Terry "Catalyst Maker". He is more than welcome to call me. I'll be happy to help in any way I can. I very much a supporter of ATI products and am discussing this to try and help others and hopefully bring to light a problem that can be fixed.

- Todd
  • edited October 2003
    Yea I used to be an nvidiot back when ti series was like OMFG the best hehe. But since the 9700 was released Ive turned into an ATI fan. Hope everything turns out well for ATI.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Vck6v3 had this to say
    Do y'all think it has something to do with Vsync? or what about the write combing option windows XP gives us.

Just throwing ideas on the table

Later
    Vic

V-Sync is only visual and is done on the card itself (though it could be setting the H-Rate wrongly...) It isn't anything special with the monitor, and Write Combining is just to do with memory access, so neither are actually anything to do with the monitor....

NS
  • edited October 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    UPDATE: Monitor Death Issue From Catalyst 3.8 Software:

I've got more information regarding the "Monitor Death" problem with the ATI Catalyst 3.8 driver series:

Known Cards Affected:
    All Radeon 9800 XT's
    All Radeon 9800 Pro's
    All Radeon 9800 Non-Pro's

Possible Cards Affected:
    All Radeon 9700 Pro's
    All Radeon 9700 Non-Pro's

Hmm ,

My Radeon 8500 (Build by ATI) produced the same Problems with Catalyst 3.8.
    My 17 " TFT Display turns after some Minutes to black screen and shows me Messages like "ScreenMode Unsupported" and "No Signal".

I have deinstalled Catalyst 3.8 and reinstalled Catalyst 3.7 and have no Problems anymore.
  • edited October 2003
    I've been reading this and all I can say is I don't see how this would cause ATI to lose sales as it's not a hardware problem unlike the Nvidia FX lines not being as efficient, which is a design shortfall in hardware.
    I don't care how much they revise drivers it will never be as good as ATI's hardware.
    That said, I hope that Nvidia or some fanatics that feel compelled to do it "on Nvidia's behalf" aren't behind this.
    I personally run a FX 5900 Ultra and in the most part I like it, I happen to like the det.s over the cat.s from an interface perspective and as the hardware is close enough in performance that I will never notice a difference in the games I play, the interface won out.
    I had a 9600 pro and I was using it in an htpc and I had dvd playback problems that I didn't run across with the Nvidia card.
    I will say that if it turns out that this is in fact some farce started by Nvidia I will not be buying another Nvidia product, ever.
    As far as ATI saying that the drivers can't kill a monitor I would beg to differ in that as the drivers for the video card directly control the monitor's refresh rate and by inadvertantly driving the monitor beyond the rated refresh rate (especially with a cheaper monitor) it will in fact kill them. A buddy of mine wrote a little script that would manipulate a videocard's drivers to force a monitor's refresh rate below it's range then well past it on the upper end several times a second and guess what happened, the monitor burnt out, not only that but one monitor burst into flames.
    As far as I know he destroyed the script after proving it would work so I doubt it's in evil hands (besides he's an ATI fan) but I thought I would use that to illustrate that it can happen with refresh rates being improperly manipulated.
  • edited October 2003
    I wanted to say, first time poster, but I will be reading and posting here alot. I am not a huge geek, in fact, I know just basics about computers, and was too nervous to try and build my own system. I have a brand new ABS Ulimate M6 on the way to me.

I had used the option for the 9800 XT, but I caught sight of this post yesterday. I called ABS and had them put in the 5900 Nvidia instead. A big props to ABS who had no problem redoing my system as it was being built, so far they are great to deal with.

Thanks alot for all the info here, I assume it saved me alot of heart and headache.
    edited October 2003
    Kolorean had this to say
    I wanted to say, first time poster, but I will be reading and posting here alot. I am not a huge geek, in fact, I know just basics about computers, and was too nervous to try and build my own system. I have a brand new ABS Ulimate M6 on the way to me.

I had used the option for the 9800 XT, but I caught sight of this post yesterday. I called ABS and had them put in the 5900 Nvidia instead. A big props to ABS who had no problem redoing my system as it was being built, so far they are great to deal with.

Thanks alot for all the info here, I assume it saved me alot of heart and headache.

If this problem is actually even true, it only happens with the 3.8 drivers, and not the 3.7 or below.

Basically you have just degraded to an inferior card for no solid reason (and believe me, it will REALLY start to suck when you want to play Half-Life 2 or Doom 3).

NS
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    NS is right. If you can get them to put the 9800XT in still, do it by all means.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 had this to say
    Kolorean had this to say

If this problem is actually even true, it only happens with the 3.8 drivers, and not the 3.7 or below.

Basically you have just degraded to an inferior card for no solid reason (and believe me, it will REALLY start to suck when you want to play Half-Life 2 or Doom 3).

NS

Welcome to S-M Kolorean.:)

As NightShade related don't jump the gun because of this, if I were you see if you can change the card back to ATI. There is nothing wrong with the card itself.

We won't know whether this is really valid until the analysis can be completed and if even if there is a problem, just avoid 3.8, life is good.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited October 2003
    I'm arming that poor kitten.....
  • shazeshaze Vancouver, BC
    edited October 2003
    This sucks, I have been waiting for 2 days for Catalyst Maker to reply to me and everyone else that submitted their problems. I mean come on man, take action (if he's still reading this), everyone here has been more than forthcoming with information. Call us!!! Oh and mediaman what's the situation with your box?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Maybe MM's monitor blew up and he can't post... :shakehead

Oh, and DogSoldier... that kitten is cute, but its left arm isn't attached to its body; you can see the windowsill between the arm and the body.
  • edited October 2003
    Kolorean had this to say

Do whatever you can to get the 9800XT put back in that box! Do not let this thread scare you from ATI. The products IMO are still the best around and the 9800XT from the looks of everything is the best card you can have right now. If you want to be safe, ask them to put in 3.7 Cats.
    edited October 2003
    Go to the Rage3D forums, Cat Maker is always posting over there. It's not like ATi got someone just to come over here, he frequents the Rage forums and they probably linked to us.

NS
  • EMNEMN
    edited October 2003
    Hmm...

I've been running my Sapphire 9700 Pro with the cat3.8s since the day they came out. I can't say I've had any problems. I've put the drivers and card through some torture, such as playing Max Payne 2 with all setting to the max and 6x AA for about 5 hours. Not a glitch. I even noticed a slight performance boost in Age of Mythology. Can't say the card *seems* any hotter either, but I have not checked the actual temps so that's subjective.

:hrm:
  • edited October 2003
    I have been reading, and due to everyone's pleas, I called ABS back. Mind you, I changed it yesterday. I got the same sales person, Mike, again today. He had a good laugh at my expense, and told me no he couldn't..hahah, then laughed again and told me he was joking, it would be no problem. GREAT COMPANY to deal with, the 9800 XT is back in the system, I will keep everyone updated, and may need some help when it arrives checking the drivers and changing them etc, I told you folks, I am not that computer smart, I just love on-line games.
    edited October 2003
    No problem. We'll help you out if you need it. And if you hang around here long enough, you'll end up learning more than you ever wanted to know about computers, whether you like it or not. ;):D
  • shazeshaze Vancouver, BC
    edited October 2003
    sounds like a plug to me
    edited October 2003
    Then you may be one of the few people in the world who are more cynical than I am... :D;D
  • edited October 2003
    Thanks for the help folks..and I am a board warrior, so you will see me alot.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Has anyone had ANY contact from ATi about this? They said they wanted contact info, they said they wanted details, well I along with a bunch of other people sent stuff, but as of yet I have not heard of any responses..
    edited October 2003
    Camman had this to say
    Has anyone had ANY contact from ATi about this? They said they wanted contact info, they said they wanted details, well I along with a bunch of other people sent stuff, but as of yet I have not heard of any responses..

Catalyst Maker is apparently the head Catalyst driver developer....

NS
  • edited October 2003
    back to thread - can anyone who has a successful install of the cat 3.8 drivers post EXACTLY what they did on install - incl. what they uninstalled, etc. also what monitor, refresh rate, etc. they might be using.

so that those with 3.8 cat drivers might be able to identify what they did differently or ran differently.

heres mine:

did fresh win XP install, installed the 3.8 full version off ATI website. radeon 9500pro (128 meg version) on princeton EO2100 21" monitor at 1024 rez and 75 hertz refresh rate. ran 2 days no problems. so far, noticed no noticable effects or problems.
  • edited October 2003

NS

hehe, very true. charlie or deth, a d00d out here in Alameda i know, just bought a $500 nvidia card and is super pissed about it - because i didnt advise him to get an ATI card.

kinda forgot about telling him :D

anyway, he is sure that he is screwed because he really wanted to try HL2 when it comes out and now has an inferior card.
This discussion has been closed.