WARNING: Catalyst 3.8's Overheating Radeon 9800's

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Has anyone reported overheating with the leaked 3.9's? I have them installed but I don't know if it's overheating cause it's my first time actually OC'ing the card.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    The Dell 3.9's or the Omega 3.9's?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Omega, although I would guess it would be the same.
  • edited October 2003
    what if we DON'T overlock the 9800 PRO? I have not had one single issue with the 3.8 and my 9800 PRO and I play BF 1942 like 4 hours each night....
    edited October 2003
    Don't worry about it then. Although the core will be operating warmer than usual, if you aren't getting any artifacts, then don't worry about it. However, be on the look-out for problems with Monitor Refresh Rates.
  • edited October 2003
    my card wasnt overclocked, and has 3.3 ns samsung memory, and still fried
    edited October 2003
    Disvengeance had this to say
    my card wasnt overclocked, and has 3.3 ns samsung memory, and still fried

Overclocked or not, the overheating problem is affecting all cards identified as a Radeon 9800, 9800 Pro or 9800 XT in Windows.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the card.
    edited October 2003
    UPDATE: Monitor Death Issue From Catalyst 3.8 Software:

I've got more information regarding the "Monitor Death" problem with the ATI Catalyst 3.8 driver series:

Known Cards Affected:
    All Radeon 9800 XT's
    All Radeon 9800 Pro's
    All Radeon 9800 Non-Pro's

Possible Cards Affected:
    All Radeon 9700 Pro's
    All Radeon 9700 Non-Pro's

It seems like the new driver series is attempting to pass way too many unsupported resolution/refresh rates to the monitor, overloading the monitor's relay system and frying the monitor. Instead of reading the refresh rates from the PRIMARY display INF files, it is reading the SECONDARY display INF refresh rates. For those of us with only 1 monitor hooked up, there is no SECONDARY display INF refresh rate file, so the video card starts at its own highest supported refresh rate and starts passing that onto the monitor. With Radeon 9800/9700's capable of syncing @ a refresh rate of up to 200 Hz, that means 99% of the world's monitors are at risk of damage.

So far, a total of 183 monitors, ranging from high-end 22" Viewsonic P225F's to lowly 14" Compaq SVGA monitors have been reported as dead/damaged in what is believed to be due to this problem. It is to be taken seriously.

I'll attest to this problem, as my Dell UltraScan P1110 21" Trinitron has been damaged due to this problem. Running the Catalyst 3.8's on my Corona system @ 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz and playing Unreal Tournament 2003, I exited the game and the monitor started flickering like mad, attempting to change refresh rates. After 8 unsuccessful retries, the monitor displayed the "NO VIDEO SIGNAL FROM INPUT 1" message and the power light turned orange. A burning smell was coming from the back of the monitor. Hooking the monitor up to another system proved useless, as it did not start up.

Fortunately, I still have a few weeks left on the warranty, so I got to exchange for a new one, but the fact of the matter is that even if you have a high-end monitor, you aren't safe from this problem.

A whole bunch more individuals have noticed the same problem, but are running monitors that have some type of refresh-rate detection system that will only change the monitors refresh-rate/resolution if it is supported by the hardware. Those users are protected from this "monitor death" problem.

At this time, the Dell leaked 3.9 drivers do NOT fix this problem. Neither do the Omega 3.9 leaked drivers.

The only way for you to save your monitor is to revert BACK to the Catalyst 3.7 (or previous generation) drivers. Links to these drivers are available on the first post of this thread.
  • stillwatersstillwaters Pittsburgh, USA
    edited October 2003
    thats just terrible.

luckily, im not one of those who updates drivers seconds after release. I was thinking of upgrading to the 3.8s soon... but probably avoided some serious damage to my card :)
    edited October 2003
    Well my Dell 17" is still alive with the leaked 3.9's

/me knocks on wood
  • edited October 2003
    Another dead 9800 Pro here. I was running 3.7's for the last week on it, no probs, no issues. Switched to 3.8's last night, had a frozen screen today. When I rebooted it said my graphics driver cause the problem. Left for awhile and when I came back, I had no signal. Reboot, no signal. Took out the card, put in a 9700 Pro, everything is fine. I took out the 3.8's and went back to the 3.7's just in case for the 9700 Pro, but gonna have to send the 9800 back....the worse thing about this is that I read a warning last night about this issue and didn't take it seriously enough....my own damn fault.
    edited October 2003
    Looks like the 9700 series of cards is affected by the Catalyst 3.8 software afterall. We don't know if it's just 9700 cards that are modded or all regular 9700 & 9700 Pro's, but I'll keep an eye out for more information:
    loafer87gt sends

Add me to the list of unhappy 3.8 users. My Sapphire 9700 Non Pro - softmodded to 9700 - Pro speeds using Mufu's BIOS has never given me any problems before. And now I am getting weird stretched triangles and spikes all over my games. I also can no longer complete a full 3DMark 2003 bench without my computer hardlocking. I reverted back to the 3.5's and same thing happens. I have never had any sort of issues except for the damn rolling lines before upgrading to the newest Cat's. Well, it was good while it lasted. Bugger me I'm pissed. I wish I never would have installed the 3.8's.

Welcome to Short-Media YoBoGo! :)

Sorry to hear about your hardware loss. :(:(:(

If you wouldn't mind, could you send some feedback to ATI about your experience to their Driver Feedback program. If enough people send in their detailed experiences with these new drivers, perhaps ATI will actually stop denying the fact that there is a problem with their newest drivers.

http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Whoooeeee, Glad I caught this thread earlier, right after I DLed the 3.8's. Didn't have them installed yet. Deleted them for now. I've got the Tyan Tachyon Rad. 9700 pro. Hope they get it straightened out. I wonder if they are going to replace cards that are destroyed because of this? Mmmmnnn.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    By the way, I noticed that many guests are viewing this thread.

I just wanted to say "hi" and "thanks for visiting" -- sign up to our forums and participate in this discussion! You'll like it so much here, that you'll probably make it your new home on the web!

Also, don't forget to take a look at our Folding@Home Team. We're currently ranked #8 overall, so that makes us one of the top-producing teams in the world.

Thanks for visiting short-media!
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Hehe, nice plug prime. Short-media sure is great. And nice work, Simguy. Anyway, I've got a quick question before I downgrade from 3.8 on my 9500 NP (which has been screwing up in Halo esp. when it comes to changing the resolution... interestingly enough...)

My question is, what the hell is the "Radeon Probe Driver" under "Probe Devices" in Device Manager? I don't think I've seen that before.
  • edited October 2003
    SimGuy had this to say

Welcome to Short-Media YoBoGo! :)

Sorry to hear about your hardware loss. :(:(:(

If you wouldn't mind, could you send some feedback to ATI about your experience to their Driver Feedback program. If enough people send in their detailed experiences with these new drivers, perhaps ATI will actually stop denying the fact that there is a problem with their newest drivers.

http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/

Thanks SimGuy...already sent ATI feedback last night letting them know what happened and what they were going to do about it. I haven't heard back yet, but will let you know if I do.
    edited October 2003
    EMT had this to say
    Hehe, nice plug prime. Short-media sure is great. And nice work, Simguy. Anyway, I've got a quick question before I downgrade from 3.8 on my 9500 NP (which has been screwing up in Halo esp. when it comes to changing the resolution... interestingly enough...)

My question is, what the hell is the "Radeon Probe Driver" under "Probe Devices" in Device Manager? I don't think I've seen that before.

I can't say I've ever heard of the "Radeon Probe Driver."

Do you have Rage3D Tweak, Radeonator or PowerStrip installed by chance? I know those applications install something called RProbe to help detect and overclock Radeon cards, but I'm shooting in the dark here... :)

If you are going to revert back to the Catalyst 3.7's, make sure to utilize the Foolproof Catalyst Uninstallation Method, as it will ensure that every last piece of the Catalyst 3.8's are removed. If you don't, the ATI uninstaller leaves many registry entries related to the Catalyst 3.8's in your registry, allowing some applications to still utilize those registry entries instead of the proper ones installed by the Catalyst 3.7's.
    edited October 2003
    Well I'm going back to the 3.7's cause damn thing scared me. Link
    edited October 2003
    Black Hawk had this to say
    Well I'm going back to the 3.7's cause damn thing scared me. Link

Exactly what 9XXX series of card are you using? Is it overclocked? Is it BIOS flashed?
  • edited October 2003
    DAM IT! :banghead: :mad: oh wells there goes my monitor... If only I had read this thread. :( Well I give me a chance to go buy me a 19" LCD monitor.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the info SimGuy. The probe didn't reappear (I did have Rage3d tweak for a bit and recall an r6probe, and it does sound related). More importantly Halo can change resolutions again with 3.7 :) Hopefully it won't give any exceptions either...
  • edited October 2003
    I have been using 3.8 since it released, but I have no problem with it....

Take a look at the pic which I used to cool my 9800 np. :)

Computer Maniac :)
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to Short-Media Computer-Maniacs!

Nice motherboard & video card you got in there :)

How's that Zalman working for ya...
  • edited October 2003
    Just playing Max Payne 2...Full Detail...16xFAA and 6xAA

@ stock speed. :) don't wanna kill my video card...CAT 3.8

The heatsink is nice and quiet...

next week, I am going to put the ram sink in...then I will post more pictures...

Computer Maniac ;)
    edited October 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    Exactly what 9XXX series of card are you using? Is it overclocked? Is it BIOS flashed?
    Dell Radeon 9700 Non pro. Default bios, running at 365.50/300 (could go higher but started getting artifacts at like 375. Heat :bawling: ) with stock cooling.
  • edited October 2003
    Computer_Maniacs had this to say
    Just playing Max Payne 2...Full Detail...16xFAA and 6xAA

@ stock speed. :) don't wanna kill my video card...CAT 3.8

The heatsink is nice and quiet...

next week, I am going to put the ram sink in...then I will post more pictures...

Computer Maniac ;)

Just remember the extra cooling on the video card wont save ur monitor from possibly burning out.
  • edited October 2003
    I am interested in something that i think nobody has mentioned anything about LCDs.

Does this problem affect LCD monitors?

Thanks
    Vic

PS. seems like a nice forum
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to the forums Vck6v3.

I dont think so, cause it doesnt have a frequency like CRTs do. My guess you should be fine. Might want to find a better source tho.
  • TubbyTubby Maryland
    edited October 2003
    I'll confirm that the Catalyst 3.8s are a danger to hardware as it almost fried my Samsung 213T 21" LCD and I am pi**ed at ATI. I have a Crucial 9700 Pro on an Asus P4C800 board with an Intel 3.0GB. I've had the crucial for about a year and no problems. I've never overclocked or modded it. I've had the Samsung LCD for about 4 months with no problems. I've been running the Catalyst 3.7s since they came out with no problems. I install the 3.8s yesterday. I leave my system on overnight and woke up this morning to my system still running but no video signal. The monitor said, "Check cable". So I shut everything down and rechecked my hardware connections which haven't been touched in months. Everything was fine. I rebooted to WindowsXP no problem. Several hours later as I sat and was writing some email and right after that the screen went blank again. This time when I rebooted, no video. Oh no. I let everything cool for a while and rebooted and thank god got video back. I remember reading about the Catalyst 3.8 drivers overheating hardware so I did some searching on Google. The first post I saw about the video blanking out, I immediately used my drive image to restore an image of my setup a few days ago when I was using the 3.7s. So far no more video problems and the monitor seems ok. If ATI had fried my 21' LCD there would have been heads rolling!

Anyway if this is not enough to convince you then I wish you luck with your hardware. I'm convinced. Thanks for the info SimGuy!

- T
  • edited October 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    By the way, I noticed that many guests are viewing this thread.

I just wanted to say "hi" and "thanks for visiting" -- sign up to our forums and participate in this discussion! You'll like it so much here, that you'll probably make it your new home on the web!

Also, don't forget to take a look at our Folding@Home Team. We're currently ranked #8 overall, so that makes us one of the top-producing teams in the world.

Thanks for visiting short-media!

Hi there!
    I just have one question.
    Where does that specific number of dead monitors come from? ATI's own tech support?
This discussion has been closed.