The Lets get to 200,000 points per day Goal!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Folding@Home
200,000 Points Per Day Goal

In the past year our Team has had some huge changes going on. We have gained and lost folders and are in the midst of heated battle of the top 20 folding teams. In this we have been slowly losing ground in our current position & we need to stop the bleeding.... How are we going to do this? let me break it down.

Goal: 200,000 ppd by the end of 2007

To reach this goal we need to muster up some of our rigs we have switched off or get friends and family in on the joint effort of F@H. Most of us if not all of us love the F@H for more than one reason, and I am sure we can sell other to use their Idle CPU time for the cause.

How can you help?

1.) Fold get any CPU you own folding, if you have a dual core CPU use the SMP client and boost your production.

2.) Get friends and family back in it or to join it

3.) Buy systems to fold

4.) Donated product or cash to the SMx/ICx effort so we can upgrade our current rigs to fold faster and better.

5.) Support other folders to keep folding...

In all we need to get back on track folding.

Current Stats:

24 hour Average: 125,590
Active Folders: 189
Average PPD per user: 664.5

I know we can increase these numbers very easily. So let’s get the folding cogs going and get team 93 back in the race! :)

Below make sure to post what you are adding to the folding efforts that are not currently already folding so we can see the increase in folding power!

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    I started folding with an AMD 3000 that only cranked out about 1200 points per week. The following year I got my Opteron 170 and enlisted my son's machine and got up to about 4500 ppW.

Okay. We (team 93) are currently doing about 800,000 ppw so you're asking for a 40% increase in performance.

This year I have so far quadrupled my production and now my numbers are tickling 20,000 ppw. Team Icrontic has also jumped up over 30% in production so far this year with apparently fewer members .

I may be able to cover about 25% more in my numbers when the weather gets cooler (b4 Nov) and if situations/events allow (I'm running at only about 70% capacity now). For sure if we get a PS3- though we're waiting on 65nm to get out.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    PS3's = 1200ppd without any problems... just flip it on and call it a day. If you have a Dual core CPU you can go from 300 point projects to 1200+ projects with SMP.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    :smokin: I´m in with this challenge!! :smokin:

EDIT: I´ve managed to add the following to fold for the team.

1 GPU client running on a X1950Pro 256Mb (mine)
    1 SMP client running on a Q6600 @ default speeds for now (friend) who says will also add an old X2 3800 939 to fold as well
    1 Uniprocessor client running on one core from a E6600 (friend)
    And Im helping out another friend who will probably buy a Q6600 and also gladly share it for the cause.

That with my current little farm (I am still waiting for the second Quad) should output near 10K PPD :D
    edited September 2007
    Lets go Boys and girls.. I know your out there....
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Well ... I plan on building a Quad 6600 rig by the fall and plan on donating it's Idle Cpu time to folding@home. Ordering the 6600 in a few weeks hopefully, if budget allows.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Could add 3-5,000 PPD but my main team might get a bit upset :eek: , might be able to change the boxen, I have folding for team 93 from an athlon 2200 to a D805 Should double my PPD. :bigggrin:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I am completely tapped out right now! My old Pentium D's are overclocked about as far as they will go and still run rock steady. My laptop at work is a four year-old slug.

My intent is to start procuring higher speed CPUs, probably quads, on Ebay once the tech isn't so new. That's primarily how I sourced the parts for my current folders.
    edited September 2007
    The big thing is if you own dual core go SMP clients :) if you own a PS3 get it folding. If you have some older PC's that could be brought to life that also helps. We need to boost the points and get our team rolling...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    will be adding a Quad to my fleet in the next few months and I just brought my opty 165 back online. :rockon:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Maybe if I get the position I interviewed for (which will be a nice pay raise hopefully) I will replace my C2D with a quad and buy some spare parts to put the C2D in. Rent is a bi0tch around here.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Well ... I plan on building a Quad 6600 rig by the fall and plan on donating it's Idle Cpu time to folding@home. Ordering the 6600 in a few weeks hopefully, if budget allows.

And your present rig is doing what? Sorry, no sig, so I don't know... :bigggrin:

I be trying Sledge! I be trying...

Anybody invent a F@H virus yet? :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
    Man! What that could do!!!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Well I've been meaning to get F@H running again for a long time, but laziness and general procrastination took over. But I won't fold 24/7. While I have a laptop, I don't want to keep my computer running 24/7, got enough bills to pay without having to include more electricity.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    All I can say is "YOU CAN DO IT!!" :thumbsup: I'll throw in a t-shirt to a random person on the team when we reach the 200,000 points per day!!! ;)
    edited September 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    And your present rig is doing what? Sorry, no sig, so I don't know... :bigggrin:

I be trying Sledge! I be trying...

Anybody invent a F@H virus yet? :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
    Man! What that could do!!!
    There was a FAH Trojan some dodgy Pronz download on torrent sites it caused you to fold for team eggroll arstechnica IIRC. used to pee meself laughing a few years ago at the FCF when some self righteous prannet came on all guns blazing WTF is FAh doing on my pooter, errm stop looking for pronz on dodgy sites was the normal reply.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    There was a FAH Trojan some dodgy Pronz download on torrent sites it caused you to fold for team eggroll arstechnica IIRC. used to pee meself laughing a few years ago at the FCF when some self righteous prannet came on all guns blazing WTF is FAh doing on my pooter, errm stop looking for pronz on dodgy sites was the normal reply.

Cal-mad-cut.jpg
    edited September 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    There was a FAH Trojan some dodgy Pronz download on torrent sites it caused you to fold for team eggroll arstechnica IIRC....

Leaving pronz out of the equation ... I wonder how close to borging that would be. They're a little more touchier about that.
    edited September 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Leaving pronz out of the equation ... I wonder how close to borging that would be. They're a little more touchier about that.
    The account in question got Zeroed out and banned from all stats. Pretty clear reaction.:eek:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I have just upgraded one rig to an Opty 165 but am having no luck with overclocking it by any decent margin. I might throw that problem out there in the OC forum and see what the gurus say.

The 3800 dual core that was in my rig has gone into my son's PC but the damn thing is overheating so I'm only using half the CPU at the moment. Just need time to strip it and see what the problem is.

I have always used two instances of folding on a dual core by changing the machine ID. If SMP client is a better way to do it, then I'm happy to change over on the two dualies I have. Will just need a bit of coaching the first time I install it :)
    edited September 2007
    SMP on a Dual core CPU is the way to go... get far more points out fo them. Just look at leo he took his exsiting rigs and made all the dual cores SMP and increased his points by like 5x
    edited September 2007
    Just look at leo he took his exsiting rigs and made all the dual cores SMP and increased his points by like 5x

Thats a nice production increase! Do I still run 2 instances or does SMP use both cores to full advantage?
    edited September 2007
    SMP only... it will use both cores to its full advantage. instead of 2 projects worth 150-300 points it will work on 1 project worth 1200 - 1700+ points and will usually complete it in the same time frame
    edited September 2007
    Just look at leo he took his exsiting rigs and made all the dual cores SMP and increased his points by like 5x
    Hmm, a bit of an exaggeration but in principle, it's true.

Tremendous point advantage to SMP folding. Stanford values the data generated by the SMP client so much they are very generous with the points. Right now, as the SMP Windows client is still beta, there are number of work units that collapse midway through processing. There are problems and 'bugs' with the client and work unit, but even if 50% of the units fail to complete (highly unlikely), you will still be WAY ahead in productivity over what you could accomplish at 100% success with dual clients folding for a dual core CPU.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:

Well I was going to build a farm with my older machines but from what another member posted in another thread; I believe I will bite the bullet and spring for a Quad 6600 and then create a "new" farm with The Quad and My P4 3.0Ghz and Celeron 2.4Ghz and possibly a P3 933 MHz if it would make any difference - those combine forces should add some points to Team 93. Also by the start of fall it should be cool enough to run the P4 constantly for Fold@home. I am using a P2 400 MHz at the moment - and have been for most of the summer - seems to be the coolest of the bunch(but I was informed that it would not meet the deadlines {suppose I could throw F@H on and see what happens} so I have not bothered to ...Yet)
    edited September 2007
    How the heck to you stop and delete no nonsense text only console on Vista???

Tried everything, Vista just denies access.

EDIT: OK figured it out. Used safe mode
    edited September 2007
    Unoverclocked the AMD chips may struggle for some deadlines with WIN SMP especially the P2610 WU's , they are very level 2 cache dependent. Linux client seems to run better on AMD for SMP.
    edited September 2007
    I have to go with SPIKE09 on the 3800- that's if it is the 512KB cache/core Manchester- it may not have the cache.

The Opteron 165 runs on a 1.8GHz clock but has 1MB/core cache (Toledo core).

I have a 170 clocked to 2.4GHz that pretty much finishes an SMP WU in about 45 hours. That means your 165 will probably take about 60 hours. SMP WUs are showing up with an even split of deadlines that are either 72 hours or 96.

If you can't run it pretty much 24/7, I'd say avoid SMPs until you can make it fit reasonably.
    edited September 2007
    Thanks so much for the heads up on the deadlines guys. Yea it is a 512 Manchester :(
    All my rigs fold 24/7 so I might stand a chance with the Opty.

I have just finished reading all the treads that have been posted here on SMP's and have come to the rapid conclusion that the BETA is more trouble than it's worth at the moment.

Firstly, the fact that I have to create a login password just to run folding SUCKS.
    Then it seems it's sensitive to wireless networks which all my rigs run on.
    It takes a fair amount of technical know-how and fiddling to get it running as a service.
    And then unless you have a kick-ass processor chances are you not going to finish the WU by the deadline anyway, after jumping through all the hoops just to get it running?
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Winga, trust me, its worth it.

We will help you out as much as you or anyone needs it.

The user and password is bothersome but I bet you probably use your computers with an Admin user. If should have it passwordered anyway (for security reasons) so you can use the same ones when installing the SMP client. Or you can just create a new user with admin rights, its the same.

The wireless stuff is only problematic if your devices tend to loose connection. If they get contant high quality reception, then you wont have any problems.

Hope this clears out a bit for you. Any questions, just shoot! :)
    edited September 2007
    There's also a way to set the computer to automatically enter the username and password at Windows boot so it's a seamless startup. I did it on my computers, but unfortunately don't remember how! lol There's a post in here somewhere explaining.

Winga, WinSMP, although beta and buggy, is worth it! You'll be grinning so much your wife will ask you what you've been up to.
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    You'll be grinning so much your wife will ask you what you've been up to.
    That can only get me into trouble :D
    When My Opty Rig finishes it's current WU I will try installing it.
    If I pick up any hassles I will post in a new thread. Methinks I have pulled this one as far :topic: as I should.