The Lets get to 200,000 points per day Goal!

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hmm, a bit of an exaggeration but in principle, it's true.

Tremendous point advantage to SMP folding. Stanford values the data generated by the SMP client so much they are very generous with the points. Right now, as the SMP Windows client is still beta, there are number of work units that collapse midway through processing. There are problems and 'bugs' with the client and work unit, but even if 50% of the units fail to complete (highly unlikely), you will still be WAY ahead in productivity over what you could accomplish at 100% success with dual clients folding for a dual core CPU.

Thats true also because all SMP WUs are "Big WUs", plus all of them have Bonuses because of very tight deadlines. These items makes this new Client very interesting for 24/7 high performance, multiple core/socket folder rigs.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I got an iMac 20" with the 2.4ghz c2d today, and of course the mac SMP client is already installed and running.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I got an iMac 20" with the 2.4ghz c2d today, and of course the mac SMP client is already installed and running.
    its folding under fatcat6 right!

guess ill have to one up you and get the 24" now :(
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I have the SMP client installed and crunching on a WU.
    Judging by my current time per frame, I seem to be comfortably within the 72 hour deadline.

I have lost an average of 450 points per day over the last few days with my updrades and installing new clients. Hopefully this makes up for it real quick!
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Winga wrote:
    I have lost an average of 450 points per day over the last few days with my updrades and installing new clients. Hopefully this makes up for it real quick!

If I figure it right, you should average about 7-800 ppd if they complete in time. There is generally a 24 hour grace period after the 3-day deadline and the point award is pro-rated if it finishes there (but since you're 24/7, you shouldn't see that).

You could cover it in about a week or two :)

< knows the 165 is a good overclocker- a trip to Perf Tweaks might help :thumbsup: >
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm on board - school started up again, and I tweaked a few settings... made it so the server centers are now folding. I can only make it fold from 6pm to 6am, but hey, not a bad bump:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/extra_page.php?s=&u=195375
    edited September 2007
    I'm on board - school started up again, and I tweaked a few settings... made it so the server centers are now folding. I can only make it fold from 6pm to 6am, but hey, not a bad bump:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/extra_page.php?s=&u=195375

No foolin'. You've jumped up to pumping out 5 figures a day in the last couple of weeks. Thank you for the huge boost to the project, TT. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Alright, let's keep the 'testimonials' coming. All of you that have given success stories so far, thank you so much!

Let's hear some more stories or plans!

OK, here's my plan:

Background. This year was rough financially. I had to replace two cars this year and take care of my daughter's wedding. I don't regret any of that. It's been a wonderful year but cash flow is tight as...you know what right now. Plan. I'm making major changes in different life insurance policies I have, substituting some expensive stuff I have with very reasonable options offered through my federal employment. Just official notification today that a huge coverage policy I had applied for was approved. Ka-ching! Cash flow will be improving. As of October 1, I hit a modest pay raise. Another modest raise in January. There should be some financial wiggle room to start upgrading rigs. My intent is to upgrade all four of my dual core Presler rigs with quad core Intel or AMD Barcelonas, whichever technology provides the best Folding performance for the money. If the Barcelona performance is good enough, we can expect Intel quad prices to stay good, or even get better at the low end. If Barcelona is a disappointment, then it will be inexpensive - well, I hope so. I've already started upgrading to a degree. I've been procuring DDR2 800 for each computer, working my way up to 2GB per machine.

These Presler CPUs have been fabulous performers due to their tremendous overclocking headroom and very inexpensive initial cost. But I'm ready to move on to something higher performance.

This Folding@Home. It's addictive, but it's healthy!
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    These Presler CPUs have been fabulous performers due to their tremendous overclocking headroom and very inexpensive initial cost. But I'm ready to move on to something higher performance.

This Folding@Home. It's addictive, but it's healthy!

Yes they have- and I'm sure they kept your feet warm in Alaska too :) - so you had a double bene :thumbsup:.

Honestly, Leo- thanks. For being all of our initiator, a leader, a huge contributor, and (for lack of a better word) an addict.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    I too will be getting a raise, or so I think. A new position at least with probably more hours and a roadmap to a raise at the very least. This puts me at my own computer which I could probably setup with FAH. Micron's half way through its fiscal year like last week so bonuses should come in like 2 months.../rollseyes. But hopefully I should upgrade my Athlon Tbred B@~2.3GHz to a Quad basically.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    In the last 2 months I have upgraded from X2, 3800+ to a 4600+ and just this weekend to a 6000+. I'm looking to go Quad in the next few months as well.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I've been thinking about how to boost participation and was thinking facebook as a means. Think what you will of it, I have an account and seemingly so does 70% of the people I grew up with and I'm sure many of you here may have an account as well.

Now then, anybody who knows how to do it can write their own appz which people can add to their profiles. If we could come up with a sexy f@h ad plug-in that can effectively communicate to people why they should start doing this, then we have great potential in expanding our user base.

I have no idea the undertaking for the coding but am more then willing to put the effort into getting it off the ground.

Any thoughts?

See thread - http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=557330#post557330
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    added 3 X 2.8GHz Pentium 4 today
    edited September 2007
    My first SMP WU posted today. I can definitely get used to these points.
    My first run was a bit rocky, but that's a subject for another thread.

My PC at work is a P4 with HT. I am only using 50% of the CPU as I don't know if it would handle the excess heat if I ran 2 instances on it.
    I tried it once before and the fan got so loud I though the box was about to take off. To boost points for IC I have decided to take it home this week-end and see what I can do about cooling it down so I can run 2 instances of folding on it. Gotta earn my cog somehow :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    this is all great news boys....!!!!

Has anyone noticed our uphill climb? keep those CPU's coming :)
    edited September 2007
    Current Stats:

24 hour Average: 139,484 - +13,894 -60516 for total goal
    Active Folders:
    190 - +1
    Average PPD per user: 734.1 - +69.6

We are only 50 SMP running Dual Core systems away from hitting our mark
    edited September 2007
    this is all great news boys....!!!!

Has anyone noticed our uphill climb? keep those CPU's coming :)

Yes. And here is some more proof. We are approaching a new, never-before achieved milestone: 1,000,000 POINTS PER WEEK.

And it could happen THIS week :) . That might be worth a special announcement, Sledge.

Here is how we have done over the last 7 calendar weeks:

attachment.php?attachmentid=23955&stc=1&d=1189565397

Here is how we are doing over the last 7 days:

attachment.php?attachmentid=23954&stc=1&d=1189564976
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    That IS awesome!!!! 1 Million Points per week.... Getting close!!!
    edited September 2007
    Qeldroma where you pulling those stats from?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Looks like the team history page of kakao stats
    http://kakaostats.com/tp.php?t=93
    edited September 2007
    I think he gets it from Kako Stats

EDIT; See Spike just beat me to it!
    edited September 2007
    TBH thats the first time I have ever seen those stats :) thanks for the link :)
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    TBH thats the first time I have ever seen those stats :) thanks for the link :)

Ditto! Only knew about Extreme´s stats.

Thanks!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    How about [h]ardfolding stats, quite nice but like [H]ardocp quite flakey and offline at times
    http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=1000&tnum=93&stype=rank&al=all
    edited September 2007
    While it's not helping us... I was able to stick my foot into the door at my place of employment... They will consider switching over from SETI to F@H for their Farm/ cluster burn-ins. That's over 1,000 PC's Folding for at least 30 days!!!.

Unfortunately, they would fold under their own team... but that's good news for Stanford.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Whoa! Possible to get Team 93 registered with those 1000 PCs?

SETI! Oh, good grief! That's a shot in the dark. Folding proteins is R E A L, something that could affect every one of our lives those of whom we love.
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Whoa! Possible to get Team 93 registered with those 1000 PCs?
    Probably no... They have a tendency to set up their own team, and each node with it's own username. :(

Easy way to judge how the cluster is running, thought....
    edited September 2007
    What if you tell them that Leo has This?
    edited September 2007
    Winga wrote:
    My PC at work is a P4 with HT. I am only using 50% of the CPU as I don't know if it would handle the excess heat if I ran 2 instances on it.
    I tried it once before and the fan got so loud I though the box was about to take off. To boost points for IC I have decided to take it home this week-end and see what I can do about cooling it down so I can run 2 instances of folding on it. Gotta earn my cog somehow :D

The PC got the royal works the week-end and is back at work crunching on two instances with the CPU at a respectable 38C.

These upgrades have been worth it. I've seen a great increase in points and had a good laugh recently to see my name on the top 20 producers list for IC.
    Even if it is right at the bottom :cool:
    edited September 2007
    Winga is now a off and on top 20 Folder for IC :)