The Lets get to 200,000 points per day Goal!

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Well... I'm doing my little part. :D

Folding.jpg

Wish there was a way to get my PS3 on there, too, but going from 2500 to 5000ppd is fun enough in itself. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah just added SMP on a new Dual Core tower :) 19Min per frame :)
    edited October 2007
    SMP is so unforgiving. -sigh-

I can't figure out what else I should be doing when I have to restart, but it's just so damn unstable. Half the time it seems like I lose everything. I've resorted to rescheduling my restarts if I need them around when a fold finishes. Just sucks.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    Create a new thread so we can help you out.
    edited October 2007
    I don't think it's anything new or anything other people haven't seen, so I just wanted to vent somewhere.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    SMP is so unforgiving. -sigh-

I can't figure out what else I should be doing when I have to restart, but it's just so damn unstable. Half the time it seems like I lose everything. I've resorted to rescheduling my restarts if I need them around when a fold finishes. Just sucks.

I'm willing to bet it has more to do with hardware issues than it has to do with the client. Almost every time I've had an aborted WU it was because something was south or going south with my hardware. So I'm also almost willing to bet that if you back off to stock speeds on your Q6600 your clinet instabilities will just about disappear as well.
    edited October 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I'm willing to bet it has more to do with hardware issues than it has to do with the client. Almost every time I've had an aborted WU it was because something was south or going south with my hardware. So I'm also almost willing to bet that if you back off to stock speeds on your Q6600 your clinet instabilities will just about disappear as well.

It's not that it randomly quits on me or anything, it's that when I have to restart my computer, I ctrl-c to quit it, restart, and when I start it back up again, it's seemingly random whether or not it picks up where it left off or throws a fit and tells me work unit lost or whatever. It happened before I switched setups and overclocked, and it happens on the Linux client sometimes too. Do you guys do anything special to make sure yours is shut down correctly (manually stop any processes, etc?), or is it my hardware or program instability?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    Ah- yes. I think the best thing to do is wait a moment before shutting down. Leo used to open up task manager and make sure that all the FAH tasks are terminated after a Cntl+C before shutting down or restarting the client.

Hope that works out :D
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    I also put my FAH files in another partition different than C... this also helped me to stop having checksum errors and having the WU start all over again.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Added my Q66 last night. Bumped it up to 3ghz today for like 2500ppd. 1 Quad up...1 Dual down with a crashing raid or corrupted OS file. Still need to install the VMware and get 2 instances of SMP going for max output.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You don't have to install VMware. What you can is what I'm doing: install two clients on the quad, each in its own installation folder (obviously). Do not start them at the same time wait until the first client is fully engaged before starting the second. Now, here comes the key. Keep a backup folder where you can copy the contents of each Folding installation folder. The client is subject to corruption upon shutdown. Whenever I shut down the computer I first make a copy of each of the two Folding clients. I haven't had any corrupted units other than that caused by shutting down. But then, if you do shut down and restart your computer a lot, VM Ware might be advisable.

When you do restart your computer, refresh the active Folding client folders with the contents from the backup if the clients won't start correctly.

Whenever I start the second client, I get an error message stating that it is already running. All I have to do is close that second at the error message and restart it. The restart always works.

Neither of these clients are running as services. Both are opened and closed manually and both are minimized to the Task Tray with TrayIt.
    edited November 2007
    Whenever I start the second client, I get an error message stating that it is already running. All I have to do is close that second at the error message and restart it. The restart always works.
    Hmm, that brings up a question.

Ohh, I just checked the client.cfg files. I had both clients set to the same "Machine ID." oops
    edited November 2007
    I hit my all time high of 8000+ points for one day! woot!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    added a Core2Duo under my name ;)
    edited November 2007
    I hit my all time high of 8000+ points for one day! woot!

Me too!

Last 24 Hours Production
    Time Points WUs
    11.05, 12am 3,820 3
    11.04, 9pm 1,760 1
    11.04, 6pm 340 1
    11.04, 3pm 0 0
    11.04, 12pm 0 0
    11.04, 9am 2,010 2
    11.04, 6am 0 0
    11.04, 3am 287 1

That's 8217! Totally a fluke, though, the moons aligned just right to get all three of my comps finishing one in the last 3 hours. Still fun!
    edited November 2007
    My new quad system is Folding 2 Windows SMP clients. Huge jump for me, and yes, for Team 93 as well. An 800MHz overclock on the Q6600 doesn't hurt anything either. :D (would love to get it higher, but that's about it for this B3 stepping)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    :bigggrin: :thumbsup:

good job all

we've broken the 180K daily barrier

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=93
    edited November 2007
    we've broken the 180K daily barrier
    We will achieve 200K/day. :)
    I can't figure out what else I should be doing when I have to restart, but it's just so damn unstable. Half the time it seems like I lose everything.
    To reiterate:

1) put the client folders on another partition than the OS
    2) start clients manually, shut them down manually
    3) get in the habit of copying the client folders to a backup folder
    4) when shutting down, don't be in a hurry
    5) ensure "Machine ID" for each client is different

Lately I've had great success with the stability of the work units. BTW, it's been almost completely 2653s. I've even had a few system crashes when working up a new overclock. Upon restarting the computer, the two FAH SMP clients were in good working order without any corruption.
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    We will achieve 200K/day. :)

To reiterate:

1) put the client folders on another partition than the OS
    2) start clients manually, shut them down manually
    3) get in the habit of copying the client folders to a backup folder
    4) when shutting down, don't be in a hurry
    5) ensure "Machine ID" for each client is different

Lately I've had great success with the stability of the work units. BTW, it's been almost completely 2653s. I've even had a few system crashes when working up a new overclock. Upon restarting the computer, the two FAH SMP clients were in good working order without any corruption.

I was getting more trouble shutting them down manually. Now I just let them run and shut it down, picks it up every time no problem. Odd, but it works, and I'm not arguing.

Also, only running one client, no chance the machine IDs mismatch.
    edited November 2007
    I added my Q66 this week as well. Just a quick 600mhz OC with minor votage increase. Only 1 client so far. Will begin working on the VMware sessions and a better OC this week.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I just added a Q6600 @ a minimum of 3.6GHz to my arsenal, and added a friend's Q6600 to team 93 under the name Nariman, but that was 6 days ago and I haven't seen his name show up yet!?! Gonna have to go visit him again, methinks!

We will get to 200K/day soon!

Whenever they release a SMP client that runs as a service and is less maintenance I have 2 other friends who will join our ranks with Q6600s. :bigggrin:
    edited November 2007
    I should note that we are getting so close it hurts :)

For those of you not reading the first post, we are trying to get our team to a point where we are pushing out 200,000 points per day. We have been able to jump our points sky high by having users with Dual and Quad core CPU's run the SMP client from F@H instead of the normal client. If you have a Dual core or have a Quad core make sure to get the SMP client from F@H. If you have questions feel free to post them and we will help you get the new client rolling...
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    You will be getting a short term High powered boost shortly mate, 2 Q6600's an e6400 and an e6420, heck mebbe 3 Quads if Xmas comes early. :bigggrin: The deal is I hit a Million for main team and have a pre Christmas death race to the top 100 active folders for icrontic:bigggrin:
    edited November 2007
    If you have a Dual core or have a Quad core make sure to get the SMP client from F@H.
    Absolutely!

Also, if you are running a quad with two FAH clients, please download and install Affinity Changer. This can boost production 700PPD or more!

More here and here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Great work, everyone :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    We're getting REALLY close. GO TEAM!!!
    edited November 2007
    Did I mention our score yesterday?

11.13.07 - 193,831

Only 6,169 points off!!!! that is like 4 really good SMP WU's or a handful of PS3's :) now selling at $399
    edited November 2007
    Sledge! Stop tempting me! :)

Anyways I more than doubled my output. I have produced nearly more this month so far than I have any other month.
    edited November 2007
    Hey what more is better than buying yourself a Quad core PC or a PS3 for Christmas? well I am sure tons of things.... but the the above 2 items would be nice :)
    edited November 2007
    Sad thing is I am thinking about both! Replace a dual with a quad and get a PS3 for FAH, BR and Games.